Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Mumbling posted:

Speaking of the arena, it’s still very weird to me that they’re just flat-out not activating the killsaws this season. Was that ever explained?

I am pretty sure, at least last season they didn't start running them until the tournament.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
Weird choice since they're somehow less damaging than the corner hammers. Like literally time and time again we've seen people get poo poo stuck in the saw slots, but I can't remember a single time a killsaw hit a tire just right and did ANYTHING.

The hazards in general need to be ramped up like 200% tbh, or just get removed. Not in numbers, just in efficacy.

Gazaar fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jan 31, 2021

Mumbling
Feb 7, 2015

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

I am pretty sure, at least last season they didn't start running them until the tournament.

I checked last season’s first fight (Rotator v. Sawblaze) and they activated them when there was one minute to go. I didn’t realize they were a timed hazard and I wouldn’t be surprised if they decided to save it for the tournament this season.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Mumbling posted:

I checked last season’s first fight (Rotator v. Sawblaze) and they activated them when there was one minute to go. I didn’t realize they were a timed hazard and I wouldn’t be surprised if they decided to save it for the tournament this season.

it's funny they still have the markers from some of the other old hazards that they don't use any more, specifically the pistons which, while not damaging, would probably gently caress up any number of bots due to changing the angle of their weapon (for horizontal spinners) or just possibly flipping them over

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Gazaar posted:

The hazards in general need to be ramped up like 200% tbh, or just get removed. Not in numbers, just in efficacy.

I agree. Give control bots more ways to do damage. Someone like Kraken would really benefit from more powerful hammers and screws.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

An instant-out pitfall isn't interesting but having better hammers, saws, and the pistons back could be cool. Especially if the pistons are basically turbocharged flippers that will launch you.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Gazaar posted:

I'm leaning towards the latter because like half the fights this season ended after one good weapon hit

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

The killsaws are still suffering from ABCs gameshow requirements where they couldnt have someone operating them because it was considered influencing the fight. So a computer randomly pops them up for like half a second after 2 minutes. Theyre completely useless and almost never come into play. Making them competitor controlled fixes all of that.

They dont do much damage to metal, but sparks and noise are fun. They really, really gently caress up wheels and drive belts though and having them controllable would give grabby and shovey robots something to do besides poke them with the hammers.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

King of Bots arena is probably what I would lean towards with upgrading the arena even if there are a few dumb ideas like that flamethrower mounted drone. Most of the hazards there are competitor-operated.

The screws are really the only hazard that seems to be useful on a regular basis.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

halokiller posted:

King of Bots arena is probably what I would lean towards with upgrading the arena even if there are a few dumb ideas like that flamethrower mounted drone. Most of the hazards there are competitor-operated.

The screws are really the only hazard that seems to be useful on a regular basis.

I would say the floor flippers are the big things that would also help. Those were taken from Robot Wars and they're not a terrible idea since the Battlebox used to have a similar hazard called the hellraisers. The only issue is bots getting caught in a gap or something.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

oh Captain Shrederator, never change :allears:

Adam Wrigley got some flow going on

Nissin Cup Nudist fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Feb 5, 2021

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

oh Captain Shrederator, never change :allears:

They killed themselves, as usual.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

I'm Claw Viper and I drive myself into the screws

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Chomp is an interesting design, but I definitely feel as if it is overdesigned. All of its complexity just gives it more things that can go wrong.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

I really hope Gruff sets Extinguisher on fire.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

sweet geek swag posted:

I really hope Gruff sets Extinguisher on fire.

nice jinx there

Gruff burned out all their motors lifting Extinguisher lol

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

nice jinx there

They had Extinguisher on its front unable to self right and they had to try and grab it. Lol.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Hazard rip-off going strong in TYOOL 2021

Though I wonder if PP have enough parts for a tourney

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

sweet geek swag posted:

Chomp is an interesting design, but I definitely feel as if it is overdesigned. All of its complexity just gives it more things that can go wrong.

Durability and driving seems to be the theme this season. Full bodied spinners have all kind of sucked so far this year because of lack of durability.

Tombstone's last loss was like a hip dislocation against a durable saw bot; it was a draw and quarter.

Super glad for Chomp introducing new ideas into the ring, but nope: durability and driving.

Edit for clarity.

Otteration fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Feb 5, 2021

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
they should give 10 extra points for each successful suplex.

chomp looks so insane and if it didn't have the wholesome invincible idiot heritage and green colors it would look like the overly expensive creation of an evil corporation trying to take on battlebots. it looks like the skirt jammed up the legs, but at least the legs didn't get ripped apart wholesale :shrug:

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

nice jinx there

Gruff went into that match with a lot of apparent damage. Probably a lot they couldn't fix in time, their forks were completely hosed up in an obvious way and the wheels didn't look very fresh at the start buzzer.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

logikv9 posted:

they should give 10 extra points for each successful suplex.

chomp looks so insane and if it didn't have the wholesome invincible idiot heritage and green colors it would look like the overly expensive creation of an evil corporation trying to take on battlebots. it looks like the skirt jammed up the legs, but at least the legs didn't get ripped apart wholesale :shrug:

John Deere colors for some reason. Close enough for a trademark infringement often.

And yep, the skirt looked like tin foil.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

The Gruff fight is pretty crazy really. They went in with an obviously beat up bot. Then they had Extinguisher beat as it was actually turtled at the start of the fight, upside down and all 4 wheels off the ground... but Gruff went in and kept the fight going... then they took the loss and went 1-2 and probably not in the 32.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Teams really should learn that there's nothing sportmanlike in flipping over a bot that can't self-right. Really quick ticket to losing.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Otteration posted:

John Deere colors for some reason. Close enough for a trademark infringement often.

And yep, the skirt looked like tin foil.

The skirt is quarter inch ar500. Chomps just so big it looks thin.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I really didn't think Shatter's strategy of "Let him kick my rear end until he wears himself out" was going to work, especially when Shatter completely whiffed the first couple times it tried to strike.

Hijinx is v. cute and smol. Revenge for Sporkinok!

Witch Doctor missing the easiest hit in the world and running facefirst into a wall was hilarious.

Gruff vs. Extinguisher is, I think, the first time I've seen a bot kill itself kicking its opponent's rear end.

Perfect Phoenix showed good driving considering Atom isn't very vulnerable to being flanked.

Black Dragon vs. Copperhead is what pro wrestling fans refer to as a "hoss-off."

Holy poo poo, the killsaw maybe did something! That's like, the second or third time this season that it's mattered! Wow!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Halloween Jack posted:

Witch Doctor missing the easiest hit in the world and running facefirst into a wall was hilarious.

Would have died laughing if they had broken that weapon on hitting the wall. The weapon they had to buy 600 lbs of metal for that the Chomp team had to waterjet for them until 5 a.m.

The Chomp team having the money to bring a machine shop with them add fuel to my theory that they're secretly funded by the military to develop an AI that will bash us all in the heads one day :tinfoil:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

PostNouveau posted:

Would have died laughing if they had broken that weapon on hitting the wall.

I for honest thought their bot choked there for a second when it stood still.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

PostNouveau posted:

Would have died laughing if they had broken that weapon on hitting the wall. The weapon they had to buy 600 lbs of metal for that the Chomp team had to waterjet for them until 5 a.m.

The Chomp team having the money to bring a machine shop with them add fuel to my theory that they're secretly funded by the military to develop an AI that will bash us all in the heads one day :tinfoil:

I got the impression Chomp is local to wherever they film, but maybe not

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Chomp is LA based, one of the former team members worked for my dad (and got us tickets to a filming a couple seasons back)

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

I mean, that makes more sense but is less fun so .....

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I don't know if it's because of COVID or if it was always like this and I only noticed because of Faruq saying where the teams are from, but there's a lot of West Coast representing among the teams it seems.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Thats usually the case. West coast has been, I think, the only place you can fight full combat heavyweights in America. So naturally the people with that experience are likely to get on to battlebots.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Battlebots was based in the bay area originally back in the 90's and it was like half engineers at Lucasfilm and half silicon valley nerds. Almost all of the Comedy Central seasons were filmed in San Francisco It's always been a centered in California thing.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

If you guys want some fun lightweight matches... Norwalk Robot League is live today. Should be 3lb, 12, & 30 I believe... Also I believe they are the ones who bought Sharko & might have it as a house bot, not sure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Rib27rbbfc

SLICK GOKU BABY fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Feb 6, 2021

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

If you guys want some fun lightweight matches... Norwalk Robot League is live today. Should be 3lb, 12, & 30 I believe... Also I believe they are the ones who bought Sharko & might have it as a house bot, not sure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Rib27rbbfc

The 3 lb. fights seem to have a house bot that serves as an in-the-box cameraman and DJ

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

PostNouveau posted:

The 3 lb. fights seem to have a house bot that serves as an in-the-box cameraman and DJ

Yea, it can also be used to separate bots if they get stuck... and usually pushes them to the door at the end...

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I went out and to get drunk and came back home like 10 hours later and the same two guys are still calling the Norwalk live stream and they look like they're about to lose their minds

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

MiddleOne posted:

Teams really should learn that there's nothing sportmanlike in flipping over a bot that can't self-right. Really quick ticket to losing.

If your bot can't self right then it 100% deserves to get flipped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Lone Goat posted:

If your bot can't self right then it 100% deserves to get flipped.

Or just be a good enough driver not to get flipped. Biteforce never got flipped. It just got Chomped.