Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Plasbad posted:

Nope, just awards money in the same way the move Pay Day does, just multiplied. So I don't know if you'd even get the money from a raid.

They're essentially wild Pokemon battles so you don't.

The only place gigantamax Meowth is useful are tournaments rematches in Wyndon Stadium. Pretty good way to grind for money actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

https://twitter.com/GoluxExMachina/status/1354655501703802881

Does anyone know what this could be about?

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Well, there goes the Hall of Fame...

Note: This error code indicates that there is ongoing server maintenance.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Ah, OK, I thought I saw that there had been one but it was over but I think I misread the timezone. Anyway, it fixed itself.

Plasbad
Oct 2, 2013

Zuzie posted:

They're essentially wild Pokemon battles so you don't.

The only place gigantamax Meowth is useful are tournaments rematches in Wyndon Stadium. Pretty good way to grind for money actually.

You do get money after a wild Pokemon battle if you use Pay Day, but it's a moot point since you can't max in a random wild battle anyway. So yeah, I just use mine for stadium money grinding too.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I clicked on the pokemon youtube page, and they finally gave Ash a Dragonite, huh

Nissin Cup Nudist fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Feb 1, 2021

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Ash's general team for a region has been steadily improving, especially when they don't feel like they have to burden him by giving him every starter for a region.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

ApplesandOranges posted:

Ash's general team for a region has been steadily improving, especially when they don't feel like they have to burden him by giving him every starter for a region.

Well Grookey‘s apparently showing up in the anime eventually so maybe that’ll wind up going to Ash (either that or they’re giving Go all three Galar starters).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Feb 1, 2021

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Larryb posted:

Well Grookey‘s apparently showing up eventually so maybe that’ll wind up going to Ash (either that or they’re giving Go all three Galar starters).

Got my hopes up starters were going to start appearing the dens for a sec lol.

Flopsy fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Feb 1, 2021

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Ash's team is full now. The Grookey is probably going to Goh.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Vandar posted:

Ash's team is full now. The Grookey is probably going to Goh.

It could also potentially go to Chloe/Koharu as well if they want to give her something besides Eevee.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I clicked on the pokemon youtube page, and they finally gave Ash a Dragonite, huh

Not only did they give him a Dragonite, it was his first catch of the new adventure; I won't call it 'region', because he's been traveling between ALL the regions, it's more of a "Pokemon Go" season than a Sword/Shield season, though it's kinda doing both?

But yeah, first Dragonite, then Gengar, and then he gets a Riolu which evolves into a Lucario. Frankly, that's the one that excites me the most, simply because I always enjoy any time Ash's Aura sensitivity comes up. It's just such a rarely touched-on thing.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

BlazetheInferno posted:

Not only did they give him a Dragonite, it was his first catch of the new adventure; I won't call it 'region', because he's been traveling between ALL the regions, it's more of a "Pokemon Go" season than a Sword/Shield season, though it's kinda doing both?

But yeah, first Dragonite, then Gengar, and then he gets a Riolu which evolves into a Lucario. Frankly, that's the one that excites me the most, simply because I always enjoy any time Ash's Aura sensitivity comes up. It's just such a rarely touched-on thing.

Yeah, we just got to the Riolu one in our watch-through and it's great how Riolu's like "who the gently caress are you" until Ash and Pikachu start battling and then it's like "oh. oh okay :stare: "

Honestly, I'm not enjoying Journeys nearly to the same degree I did the 3 seasons of Sun/Moon and that's primarily the lack of ongoing arcs so far, the over-reliance on catchphrases (looking at you, "palm of my hand!!!!") and that Goh is just a way worse travelling buddy than basically any of the Alolan kids. That said, it is really nice to see Ash getting kitted out with a proper goddamn team rather than relying on the usual get starters and some other random early route stuff > maybe some of it evolves > do well enough anyway because he's Ash

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Honestly, I just don't like Goh because he is the personification of the reason I hate Pokemon Go and Let's Go - it directly goes against everything the mainline games have always taught us about how you're supposed to catch a Pokemon. Ash himself got ridiculed how many times for just blindly throwing the ball first thing? And then this rear end in a top hat comes along, Ash starts to correct him, but then it loving works. AND THEN IT -KEEPS- WORKING.

It even directly bites him in the rear end in the Dragonite Episode, when he brings a whole pack full of Pokeballs for their search for Dragonite Island, only to use them *all* on a single stubborn Dewgong. And this teaches him nothing.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

BlazetheInferno posted:

Honestly, I just don't like Goh because he is the personification of the reason I hate Pokemon Go and Let's Go - it directly goes against everything the mainline games have always taught us about how you're supposed to catch a Pokemon. Ash himself got ridiculed how many times for just blindly throwing the ball first thing? And then this rear end in a top hat comes along, Ash starts to correct him, but then it loving works. AND THEN IT -KEEPS- WORKING.

It even directly bites him in the rear end in the Dragonite Episode, when he brings a whole pack full of Pokeballs for their search for Dragonite Island, only to use them *all* on a single stubborn Dewgong. And this teaches him nothing.

Hell, in a recent episode Go caught a Legendary (in this case, Suicune) ON HIS FIRST TRY.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Eh, that Suicune was tired, poisoned, and then got beaten up by hunters.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MorningMoon posted:

Good point, and to be fair he only caught it to save it from said hunters.

Still though, his habit of almost constantly catching Pokémon without battling them is kind of getting annoying (but then again, as someone else pointed out this is less of a Sword/Shield themed season and more of a Go/Let’s Go themed one so I guess that’s to be expected)

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Larryb posted:

Hell, in a recent episode Go caught a Legendary (in this case, Suicune) ON HIS FIRST TRY.

At least it was weakened first...

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

MorningMoon posted:

How many legendaries have you caught on your first try with a basic poke ball, even when they're in the red with a status effect

Go catching it makes sense, as long as you ignore the past 2 decades of the anime beating you over the head with how pokemon aren't tools to be caught and displayed, and only ever go by game logic, where you catch pokemon you're never ever in a million years actually going to use

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Goh also manages to break a "rule" that almost all other characters in the anime followed: A new Pokemon is another cast member so it usually makes sense that human characters almost never go over the limit of six within a single generation. Of course it does help that Ash and Goh's home base is a research facility that's able to provide for all of Goh's captured Pokemon.

I've seen this issue with practically every Pokemon fanfiction that stars OC trainers. They load up their cast members teams with all their favorite Pokemon and the cast is immediately bloated since the author clearly had no idea what to do with all of them.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Trainer constantly shuffling their teams around is actually really cool and the anime would be better if ash just occasionally busted out gliscor or klingler or the like

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Trainer constantly shuffling their teams around is actually really cool and the anime would be better if ash just occasionally busted out gliscor or klingler or the like

Its cool and good, but part of that is because the time was taken to characterize them.

Vertigo Ambrosia
May 26, 2004
Heretic, please.
I'm in the post-game of Sword and I'm kinda confused about a few things.

1) Is it just me, or are there almost no ethers in this game? I can find a shitload of pearls just by hanging around a lake, but I think I've only found one ether. Are they all battle tower items or something? Usually I wouldn't care too much but it's easy to get low on PP dicking around in the wild area...

2) How the gently caress do you make the best curry? I've never gotten higher than the bronze rating, which is juuust under what it takes to regain PP.

3) Is there a difference between friendship and affection? I know in one of the past games there was (last game I played was gen V so I don't have a great understanding of it), but not sure of now. I want all the eeveelutions but I don't understand how Sylveon evolves.

4) Does a pokemon have to participate in a battle to get EVs from it?

5) What's the best way to succeed at high level Max Raids when you don't have friends? I don't understand what determines how strong the pokemon is or how many hits its barrier can take or why some dens are all purple and mysterious looking. It seems like one five-star raid will have a pokemon that goes down easy, but then the next one you'll be doing practically no damage and the NPCs will all immediately get one shotted.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Vertigo Ambrosia posted:

3) Is there a difference between friendship and affection? I know in one of the past games there was (last game I played was gen V so I don't have a great understanding of it), but not sure of now. I want all the eeveelutions but I don't understand how Sylveon evolves.

According to Bulbapedia, Eevee evolves into Sylveon when leveled up knowing a Fairy-type move with high friendship now. I don't think affection exists as something distinct from friendship anymore.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I think that the top quality curry, Charizard class, can only be made in multiplayer, because otherwise you simply can't add enough berries. But Copperajah class is pretty reliable if you use ten good berries (in general, berries farther down the list are higher-quality), stoke the fire so that it's roaring (you have to mash pretty fast in order to just barely get there in singleplayer) but not emitting black smoke, stir quickly with a minimum of spilling, and time the ring interaction so that the shrinking circle lands inside the smaller inner area.

Friendship and Affection mechanics were combined into a single number as of generation 8. Sylveon will evolve if an Eevee with sufficient affection gains a level while knowing a move of the Fairy type. If it doesn't know any Fairy-type moves, it will instead evolve into Espeon or Umbreon depending on the in-game time.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Vertigo Ambrosia posted:

1) Is it just me, or are there almost no ethers in this game? I can find a shitload of pearls just by hanging around a lake, but I think I've only found one ether. Are they all battle tower items or something? Usually I wouldn't care too much but it's easy to get low on PP dicking around in the wild area...

2) How the gently caress do you make the best curry? I've never gotten higher than the bronze rating, which is juuust under what it takes to regain PP.

5) What's the best way to succeed at high level Max Raids when you don't have friends? I don't understand what determines how strong the pokemon is or how many hits its barrier can take or why some dens are all purple and mysterious looking. It seems like one five-star raid will have a pokemon that goes down easy, but then the next one you'll be doing practically no damage and the NPCs will all immediately get one shotted.

1) Leppa berries grow on trees, ethers might be renewable pickup sparkles in some areas?

2) Use better berries, if you're getting the fire roaring and stirring as fast as you can without spilling.

3) not anymore

4) No

5) Get friends, or use high-level pokemon (the NPCs' levels are 70% of your pokemon's level). The barriers are on a per pokemon per star basis; the number of stars determines the pokemon's level but the difficulty can still vary (5 stars is like level 65 I think?). The purple dens are "rare" and usually have a better chance of hidden abilities.

The Golux fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Feb 2, 2021

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Vertigo Ambrosia posted:

Ethers and to a greater extent Elixirs have always been rare, one of Pokemon's holdovers from fantasy JRPGs that's never been adjusted because Pokemon Centers exist.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Vertigo Ambrosia posted:

1) it's not just you. Most people get by with Leppa Berries- which restore as much PP as an Ether. This was more reliable back when you could actually FARM berries though. (Why they got rid of the berry farm, I have no idea). Go around and shake some trees for Leppa Berries.

2) You should be able to swing Copperajah (Silver) curry by using higher quality berries. In general, the further down the list they are, the better they are. Get to shaking some trees!

3) As of SwSh, there is no difference. Sylveon will evolve at high affection when it knows a fairy move. Easiest way to manage this is to give it the Soothe Bell and feed it a few curries.

4) EVs are shared, same as EXP. How I typically EV train though is using the Pokejobs. With the Pokerus and the matching Power [whatever] held item, you can max out the EVs on a single stat in half a day. Send some dudes off before you go to bed/work.

5) The NPCs in raids level up with you, up to a maximum of 70ish if you're level 100. Start there. Using either of the legendaries you can catch in the game (you should have Eternatus I think?) is one way to get started on soloing raids. The legendaries' signature moves do increased damage on Dynamaxed Pokemon. The other way to handle it is to have your Pokemon play medic. Moves like Life Dew, Follow Me, Light Screen, Reflect can help the NPCs survive longer.

Silver Falcon fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Feb 3, 2021

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Vinylshadow posted:

How many legendaries have you caught on your first try with a basic poke ball, even when they're in the red with a status effect

Go catching it makes sense, as long as you ignore the past 2 decades of the anime beating you over the head with how pokemon aren't tools to be caught and displayed, and only ever go by game logic, where you catch pokemon you're never ever in a million years actually going to use

Yeah, it's good that we're breaking away from dumb rules made twenty years ago. Goh having a vast collection of fun utility pokemon makes for interesting stories, like how in the Mewtwo one he used a Caterpie to escape shifting sand, or in the suicune one how he planned around his Alolan Eggsecutor, Raichu, and a Drowzee he caught to solve the problems. Then it makes for really fun scenes or episodes when we get to focus on the habitat that houses his pokemon. Them starting to make clans based on typings, and the regional birds and rodents all hanging on Golurk was super cute!

It's a very nice change of pace, makes for the stronger pokemon to look even more intimidating when they deny the pokeballs and force a fight to happen.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Personally I'd rather the main cast's Pokemon have growth and personalities and not just be tools to be used to solve problems.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Pokemon is a video game about using the monsters as tools. Hell, it's a classic part of the franchise that you use several of them just as vehicles to get around the landscape.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I appreciate that it recognizes there are people who want to catch them all and people who are only here for the battling.

I won't catch more than the pokemon I plan to fill out my roster with, you can't make me.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Barudak posted:

I appreciate that it recognizes there are people who want to catch them all and people who are only here for the battling.

I won't catch more than the pokemon I plan to fill out my roster with, you can't make me.

Same here honestly, I catch the Pokemon I deem useful to the formation of my team (swapping out if something I like more comes along later) and then basically just treat the rest of the game like a standard RPG.

I think the only time I ever went out of my way to “catch ‘em all” was in the original Red on Game Boy. Has the reward for completing the Pokédex gotten any better in recent years or is it still just a certificate?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

In addition to the certificate, since 2012 completing the pokedex gives you the Shiny Charm, which increases the likelihood of encountering a shiny pokemon.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Bongo Bill posted:

I think that the top quality curry, Charizard class, can only be made in multiplayer, because otherwise you simply can't add enough berries. But Copperajah class is pretty reliable if you use ten good berries (in general, berries farther down the list are higher-quality), stoke the fire so that it's roaring (you have to mash pretty fast in order to just barely get there in singleplayer) but not emitting black smoke, stir quickly with a minimum of spilling, and time the ring interaction so that the shrinking circle lands inside the smaller inner area.

Absolutely not true. I got gold standard in every curry in the curry dex by myself. The trick is using high quality berries in sufficient amounts, cranking that fire up as fast as you can (do it by hitting the a button and r switch at the same time) when you stir do it carefully so that sparkles come up. Keep it at that speed until it's the last bit and always hit a few second before the circle fully encloses around the middle. It's a giant pain in the rear end but doable.

Use this to figure out which berries give you the flavor profile you're looking for and what kind of curry you want to make.

https://serebii.net/swordshield/currydex.shtml

Remember the stronger the better. Also the rarer.

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.

Bongo Bill posted:

In addition to the certificate, since 2012 completing the pokedex gives you the Shiny Charm, which increases the likelihood of encountering a shiny pokemon.

I have multiple crowns.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

humpthewind posted:

I have multiple crowns.

I'm wearing a tiara and a full length gown in real life buddy. :colbert:

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I really like it when they do a little callback once or twice a season, where it turns out Ash has been on the blower to Professor Oak to get someone we've not seen for years

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/siliconera/status/1357637846090326017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Pokemon: Cyber Slueth