Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Pick posted:

I hate Batman but LEGO batman did a great job with him, turning him into a character with growth. it's hilarious how much more thematically coherent and challenging it is than any of the serious batman films.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEHWBp3KjCI

I think this is good, I think a lot of the batman cartoons are great, the batman show, batman returns etc. They just gotta give it a rest. It is not so impregnible or universal a concept that it can last 8 quillion iterations.

It's also bad for kid's imaginations, There's one guy, he's dressed in black and hates his life. give me a movie about a singing shoe, or a clown who gets trapped inside an egg. Something where children are lured into a slaughterhouse by a candy man until a skinny, ingenious, vegetable eating child recues everyone. A race with hot air balloons. Anything!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Speaking of unique animation, I watched Yamasong last night and I just can't put my finger on why I didn't like it. Every element about it seemed great, but I feel like it's going to be a movie I forget even existed in a week.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Ccs posted:

Variety panned Goro Miyazaki's "Earwig and the Witch". Poor Goro, he's tried directing movie in both hand drawn and CG and neither has measured up a bit.

https://variety.com/2021/film/reviews/earwig-and-the-witch-review-1234896618/

Meh, I feel like the fact that Goro keeps on getting to be a director is pretty blatant nepotism, and there are probably people working at Ghibli who are much more qualified.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Probably, but many at Ghibli are probably scared away by how Miyazaki crushed the spirits of Mamoru Hosoda and Yoshifumi Kondo. I get the feeling the people who work at Ghibli are really good at animation and want to stay animators, there's so many opportunities in the industry to be a director at other studios and Ghibli is no longer a place that will have consistent projects as it's winding down. The animation for Earwig wasn't even done at Ghibli, but rather outsourced to other CG companies.

Pick posted:

I have heard that they are great from every single person whose taste I trust, and I still can't bring myself to watch them

I think the Paddington movies are solid, but I don't have the same reverence for them as some people. They're solid kids movies, but I don't get the same heartwarming glow that others seem to feel radiates from them.

Ccs fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Feb 1, 2021

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Does Netflix have some kind of deal/mandate to adapt every single Dr Seuss property? I wouldn't think that Go Dog Go would lend itself to an entire series since it's barely enough content for a book, but they sure did one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmIYxGLzhng

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_eIQ66gHeI

Phylodox fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Feb 1, 2021

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

flashy_mcflash posted:

Does Netflix have some kind of deal/mandate to adapt every single Dr Seuss property? I wouldn't think that Go Dog Go would lend itself to an entire series since it's barely enough content for a book, but they sure did one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmIYxGLzhng

That's actually from a different children's book author, PD Eastman. The reason for the adaption is because of the success of Paw Patrol, which generates over a billion dollars a year. Every single kids TV production company is trying to make a dog show to grab market share from Paw Patrol. I've worked on two kids shows with that aim, the first a Chinese-Canadian coproduction that sunk like a stone. The other actually looks good and had some very good French storyboard artists that made sure the story beats were funny, but it still didn't make any dent equal to Paw Patrol's dominance.

There's like 5 dog shows in production for all the streaming services right now from various Canadian and Australian studios, all after those same Paw Patrol dollars.

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Meh, I feel like the fact that Goro keeps on getting to be a director is pretty blatant nepotism, and there are probably people working at Ghibli who are much more qualified.

yeah he hosed up Earthsea, botched what should have been an easy nostalgia-bait flick, and now this.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I mean, I've read Earthsea, and it's not like, actually good, so I don't really hold that against him.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

^^^: This is the animation thread, not the bad opinions thread.

If I was the mediocre son of a famous artist or family I'd avail of the nepotsim but change my name. Worked for Nicolas Coppola.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Ccs posted:

That's actually from a different children's book author, PD Eastman. The reason for the adaption is because of the success of Paw Patrol, which generates over a billion dollars a year. Every single kids TV production company is trying to make a dog show to grab market share from Paw Patrol. I've worked on two kids shows with that aim, the first a Chinese-Canadian coproduction that sunk like a stone. The other actually looks good and had some very good French storyboard artists that made sure the story beats were funny, but it still didn't make any dent equal to Paw Patrol's dominance.

There's like 5 dog shows in production for all the streaming services right now from various Canadian and Australian studios, all after those same Paw Patrol dollars.

I've definitely seen them trying to cash in on Paw Patrol in various ways via easily-monetized things like PJ Masks, True and the Rainbow Kingdom, some new one called Dino Ranch, etc. but never really thought that dogs specifically we the selling point for Paw Patrol as much as sheer market dominance due to saturation and a big head start.

Anyway maybe I'm just salty that there doesn't appear to be a full series order for Ten Apples Up On Top...yet.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

flashy_mcflash posted:

I've definitely seen them trying to cash in on Paw Patrol in various ways via easily-monetized things like PJ Masks, True and the Rainbow Kingdom, some new one called Dino Ranch, etc. but never really thought that dogs specifically we the selling point for Paw Patrol as much as sheer market dominance due to saturation and a big head start.

Anyway maybe I'm just salty that there doesn't appear to be a full series order for Ten Apples Up On Top...yet.

Trying to decipher what the selling point of any kids property is is a puzzle box of confusion for executives. Is it the vehicles? The police aspect? The dogs? Animals in general?

Various companies try all of these things in a variety of combinations. Even the series creators themselves have no idea. One show from the Paw Patrol creator can be a huge hit, the other can be cancelled mid-season because the toys aren't selling well enough. It's such a crapshoot.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I watched both Paddington movies in the last couple of months and was amazed by them

I don’t think there’s any other movies that have so much heart and leave you feeling so full of warmth. They’re the most feel good films ever devised

And they’re funny as hell! Full of actual, excellent character-based humour with not a fart joke in sight

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Hedrigall posted:

I watched both Paddington movies in the last couple of months and was amazed by them

I don’t think there’s any other movies that have so much heart and leave you feeling so full of warmth. They’re the most feel good films ever devised

And they’re funny as hell! Full of actual, excellent character-based humour with not a fart joke in sight

I didn't grow up with Paddington Bear, I have no nostalgia for the character, but I still felt the wholesome joy of childhood while watching both movies.

They're absolutely great movies for anyone of any age.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Earthsea's a great adaptation of the world of Earthsea as described by the text, still, seedy, magic tenuous but spoken and heard. The sound design is super cool. BUT the tone is off and Ged's not there man. A gritty black and white deal would fit nice, especially for tombs of autun.

Instead of batman I'm hitchhiking to oregon to pitch my idea for a rat wizard noir stop motion to laika. They won't like it at first, but they'll surely see it my way once i send the board of executives a fancy gift basket with fruit and an rear end ham.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

FunkyAl posted:

Instead of batman I'm hitchhiking to oregon to pitch my idea for a rat wizard noir stop motion

Tell me more :allears:

FunkyAl posted:

an rear end ham.

Tell me more :magical:

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I didn't grow up with Paddington Bear, I have no nostalgia for the character, but I still felt the wholesome joy of childhood while watching both movies.

They're absolutely great movies for anyone of any age.

I do actually have nostalgia for the book series and 70s paper/stop motion show but the last time I tried the family just bounced off of it for some reason. It’s been a couple years, time to try again.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Hedrigall posted:

Tell me more :allears:

I draw a little fantasy setting with a rat wizard and some other characters and places and creatures in my notebook. I have a rough map! I've been thinking of things I want to do with it, an rpg or book or a movie or whatever is feasible, and I like the idea aesthetically of doing it in black and white with taxidermied-looking animals, building props out of dirt and barrels and going with that. The plot either revolves around the "unbroken stone," an ancient city founded around a meteorite, or some masked cult in the woods.

quote:

Tell me more :magical:

The rear end is the tastiest part of the pig.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

FunkyAl posted:

The rear end is the tastiest part of the pig.

https://twitter.com/SimpsonsQOTD/status/1147831710823919622?s=20

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

FunkyAl posted:

I draw a little fantasy setting with a rat wizard and some other characters and places and creatures in my notebook. I have a rough map! I've been thinking of things I want to do with it, an rpg or book or a movie or whatever is feasible, and I like the idea aesthetically of doing it in black and white with taxidermied-looking animals, building props out of dirt and barrels and going with that. The plot either revolves around the "unbroken stone," an ancient city founded around a meteorite, or some masked cult in the woods.

Tell me when you launch your kickstarter :homebrew:

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Hedrigall posted:

Tell me when you launch your kickstarter :homebrew:

i'll tell ya when I write a script! lol

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Inspector Gesicht posted:

^^^: This is the animation thread, not the bad opinions thread.

If I was the mediocre son of a famous artist or family I'd avail of the nepotsim but change my name. Worked for Nicolas Coppola.
You said this wasn't the bad opinions thread.

And the mediocre one is Sofia.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Ccs posted:

Trying to decipher what the selling point of any kids property is is a puzzle box of confusion for executives. Is it the vehicles? The police aspect? The dogs? Animals in general?

Various companies try all of these things in a variety of combinations. Even the series creators themselves have no idea. One show from the Paw Patrol creator can be a huge hit, the other can be cancelled mid-season because the toys aren't selling well enough. It's such a crapshoot.

And of course there's no way that it's just luck. There must be a concept that is a guaranteed success as human opinion is a math problem that can be solved - one that no one's solved in thousands of years but we'll do it for sure with our innovative new concept about surfing cats.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Pick posted:

Much like when I was convincing my parents to go see spider verse. And my mother said, but I don't like Spiderman. And I was like, mother, there's probably no one on earth that hates Spider-Man more than I do,

Excuse me, this is clearly JJJ erasure

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Excuse me, this is clearly JJJ erasure

:tinfoil:

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I think it's simply the case that there's no real parallel to Hayao Miyazaki and Isao Takahata. Several animators have left Ghibli and they're hardly smashing the universe with their new releases. Goro is doing about as well as them (I thought Tales from Earthsea was absolutely gorgeous) but with like ten times the expectations.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I’ve been meaning to ask about anime movies

For someone who has seen every Miyazaki and every Ghibli, and has nearly finished bingeing the works of Mamoru Hosoda, Makoto Shinkai and Satoshi Kon, what else is there out there in the last five or ten years? Particularly in the fantasy/sci-fi vein, but I also enjoyed all the slice of life Ghibli ones like Whisper of the Heart.

Not really interested in movies that are just the wrap up of some long running tv show. And I’ve seen a bunch of the classics so recent recommendations are appreciated.

Also I’ve seen the stuff by Studio Ponoc since they formed, also I enjoyed that Netflix one A Whisker Away last year

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Hedrigall posted:

For someone who has seen every Miyazaki and every Ghibli, and has nearly finished bingeing the works of Mamoru Hosoda, Makoto Shinkai and Satoshi Kon, what else is there out there in the last five or ten years? Particularly in the fantasy/sci-fi vein, but I also enjoyed all the slice of life Ghibli ones like Whisper of the Heart.

Not really interested in movies that are just the wrap up of some long running tv show. And I’ve seen a bunch of the classics so recent recommendations are appreciated.

Also I’ve seen the stuff by Studio Ponoc since they formed, also I enjoyed that Netflix one A Whisker Away last year

Redline

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Hedrigall posted:

I've only seen Paprika, but I know the Satoshi Kon movies are very well regarded. But they are much more serious/whackadoo than Miyazakis. Paprika has an absolutely dynamite score to it. When I went to Japan for the first time I had my aunt translate "Paprika soundtrack" on to a piece of paper so I could ask for it at every store we went to that sold CDs. They still gave me a confused look.

Also Tekkonkinkreet is pretty cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anu2IrsUlVs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfQjc2hs34Y

Fartington Butts fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Feb 2, 2021

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

A Letter to Momo hits some of the Ghibli notes.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
First of all, I don't remember any toilet humour in Horton hears a Who, just the pop culture stuff which has aged poorly admittedly.

Secondly if Netflix can pull off spinning Green Eggs and Ham into a two-season animated show, I think they can handle Go Dog go. :P

Also the second Paddington is the better movie because the villain suits the tone of the universe more. The Taxidermist in the first movie is a little too dark, and retroactively makes Mr Currie a VERY unlikeable character in the second movie simply because he's never called out for still being poo poo to Paddington despite literally nearly getting him killed in the first one.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

They did 2 seasons of Green Eggs and Ham? I still haven't gotten around to watching the first.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Can confirm Redline is extremely rad

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Vegetable posted:

A Letter to Momo hits some of the Ghibli notes.

Yeah this one was dope.

Also like, the last anime movie I watched. I gotta get back on that train someday.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Hedrigall posted:

Assuming you caught up on Ghibli on HBO Max, they also have Promare and Ride Your Wave

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgNGHjwEKQY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOEpST-PHh8

Netflix has Lu Over the Wall and A Silent Voice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eN5QnoNhx0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfK6UgLra7g

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Feb 2, 2021

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Adding these all to my list, thanks everyone

The United States posted:

Assuming you caught up on Ghibli on HBO Max, they also have Promare and Ride Your Wave

Netflix has Lu Over the Wall and A Silent Voice

No HBO Max in Australia but I find a way to watch movies. A Silent Voice I’ve seen, it was pretty decent.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Hedrigall posted:

sounds like it's time for you to hop on the Eva train, just in time for the finale this year. Imagine, you get all of the best parts (the actual anime) without the worst parts (the antagonizing multi-year waits)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGsOsciMoG0

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Fartington Butts posted:

They did 2 seasons of Green Eggs and Ham? I still haven't gotten around to watching the first.

They're in the middle of production on season 2. The plot of season 2 has been mentioned though in production materials - it's Guy am I and Sam I Am going on a journey to try to find Sam's long lost mother

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

DC Murderverse posted:

sounds like it's time for you to hop on the Eva train, just in time for the finale this year. Imagine, you get all of the best parts (the actual anime) without the worst parts (the antagonizing multi-year waits)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGsOsciMoG0
No... don't do this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

Hedrigall posted:

I would recommend anything by Yuasa Masaaki.