Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Neodoomium posted:

Someone teach Michael Cole a different exclamation than "You gotta be kidding me"

OH MYYYYY!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

When they try to give Cole something new to say it always ends up being one of those corny pre-written exclamations for big spots

FOR THE LOVE OF MANKIND

FrozenPhoenix71
Jan 9, 2019
COULD IT BE?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

IT IS!

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Astro7x posted:

Like cool, Damien Priest came in as a rookie and took out Miz, Morrison, Kane, and Elias.

The kind of rookie who's been wrestling since 2005 and has been in major promotions since 2015, and has been in NXT since 2018.

I really hate how WWE treats people's accomplishments outside of WWE.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Astro7x posted:

Damien Priest came in as a rookie

He's 38

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I haven't watched since Mania, and pretty much the only WWE content I've watched for a few years now are RR/EC/WM, but I always catch the Rumble match because it's usually fun. This wasn't fun. It was boring safe booking. The women's one was better, but had so much filler in it. WWE still sucks.

Is Akira Tozawa seriously relegated to a background extra for a comedy belt? gently caress.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Gotta spend a lifetime grinding the cartilage out of your knees before you’re ready for the bigtime

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Why, that's even younger than the Redneck Rookie AJ Styles!

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Erebus posted:

When they try to give Cole something new to say it always ends up being one of those corny pre-written exclamations for big spots

FOR THE LOVE OF MANKIND

The worst thing he does is spit out awful nicknames. I know that’s from Vince, but still. No one actually says/said EATER OF WORLDS or APEX PREDATOR or BEAST INCARNATE or LUNATIC FRINGE but him, do they

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Hasn't that been Vince's thing forever? I feel like someone (maybe Bryan and Vinny on their Superstars/SNME retro reviews) keeps commenting on how commentary will call people like Ronnie Garvin and Pez Whatley "talented young newcomers" and similar things even as they're pushing 40 and into the second or third decades of their careers.

I grant you that these guys were never in line to main event or probably even contend for the IC title, but it's the same "actively ignore the world outside the WWF even when it is blindingly obvious" mentality.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Edge & Christian posted:

Hasn't that been Vince's thing forever? I feel like someone (maybe Bryan and Vinny on their Superstars/SNME retro reviews) keeps commenting on how commentary will call people like Ronnie Garvin and Pez Whatley "talented young newcomers" and similar things even as they're pushing 40 and into the second or third decades of their careers.

I grant you that these guys were never in line to main event or probably even contend for the IC title, but it's the same "actively ignore the world outside the WWF even when it is blindingly obvious" mentality.

I just remembered Carlos Colon at the ‘93 Rumble, who must’ve been around 50, being called a youngster by Gorilla Monsoon.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

loving WHAT? Lmao I thought that guy was actually a "young up and comer". I guess he still technically is by WWE standards.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Edge & Christian posted:

That's more Vince wanting WWF/WWE to be the only world so nothing else counts. In terms of top level pushes in the past Vince wanted young guys. He tried to move on from Hogan when he was only 36 at Mania 6 and just as recently winded Cena down so much that Cena went to Hollywood.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Red posted:

I just remembered Carlos Colon at the ‘93 Rumble, who must’ve been around 50, being called a youngster by Gorilla Monsoon.

If I know anything about old men, it's that they'll call anyone even slightly younger than them a kid or a young man or something similar. You hit a certain point and everybody else is young.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

There was a point that Edge and Priest were squaring off and Cole yelled "EDGE IS LOOKING AT THE FUTURE OF THE WWE" and it's just an incredibly depressing sentiment.

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
remember when michael cole called two black guys a couple of big ol' bulls

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

It's often observed, but the level to which WWE has failed at building new stars is genuinely remarkable. There's some degree of a natural progression to midcard title level if people are talented enough, but once they get there, they just sit there in a holding pattern.

I looked back at the Wrestlemania 32 seven way ladder match, from five years ago. The seven guys in that match were Zack Ryder, Dolph Ziggler, Kevin Owens, and Sami Zayn, Sin Cara, Stardust and The Miz. The only one of those guys to advance up the card in WWE is Kevin Owens, who went from midcarder to upper midcarder. Every other guy on that list is in the same or a worse spot, apart from Cody who had to leave the company to succeed.

Obviously there isn't room at the top for everyone, but midcard titles like this are meant to be proving grounds. If one midcard guy doesn't move up, maybe there was something wrong with that guy. If no midcard guys move up, there's something wrong with your process.

King Bahamut
Nov 12, 2003
internet internet lama sabacthani

Seth Rollins posted:

remember when michael cole called two black guys a couple of big ol' bulls

do we need to check cole’s browser history or vince’s

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Lamuella posted:

It's often observed, but the level to which WWE has failed at building new stars is genuinely remarkable. There's some degree of a natural progression to midcard title level if people are talented enough, but once they get there, they just sit there in a holding pattern.

I looked back at the Wrestlemania 32 seven way ladder match, from five years ago. The seven guys in that match were Zack Ryder, Dolph Ziggler, Kevin Owens, and Sami Zayn, Sin Cara, Stardust and The Miz. The only one of those guys to advance up the card in WWE is Kevin Owens, who went from midcarder to upper midcarder. Every other guy on that list is in the same or a worse spot, apart from Cody who had to leave the company to succeed.

Obviously there isn't room at the top for everyone, but midcard titles like this are meant to be proving grounds. If one midcard guy doesn't move up, maybe there was something wrong with that guy. If no midcard guys move up, there's something wrong with your process.

Seems relevant:

https://twitter.com/BrandonThurston/status/1356308768896774144

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
:stonks:
but instead it's Vince and the chart is age of performer. I guess the word is like "olds" or something I don't know.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
When your demo is people in their late 50 and 60s then Edge is a spring chicken.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

Rarity posted:

I think the Alexa gimmick might play better if they hadn't given it to the tiniest woman on the roster?

tiny people doing big guy power moves is cool as hell, but WWE had to ruin it! the transformation being interrupted by just getting dumped over the top rope was funny though.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

2017 had Goldberg, Jericho, Big Show, Mark Henry, and Undertaker in it and was still on average younger than this year :(

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

sticklefifer posted:

Is Akira Tozawa seriously relegated to a background extra for a comedy belt? gently caress.

yes

and they put him in a ninja outfit too

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

IT'S

BOSS TIME!

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Dropping first or last names for a mononym has always been dumb and bad, but I'm guessing they only got rid of Matt Riddle's first name for SEO purposes because it's harder to Google that he's a sex criminal.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
I’ve brought it up before but it’s really dire how few guys under 30 they have. The main roster age problem is well documented but even NXT has a lot of guys in their mid to late 30s that are just treading water there. Punishment Martinez is even 38 years old and he just got called up. There’s obviously exceptions but usually wrestlers are hitting that combinations of their physical peak and knowledge of how to work in their early to mid 30s and the guys in that age group are just being wasted in the midcard carousel now and little hope of this improving any time soon.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

I bet 2020 is only down because they didn't have the Saudi shows where they drag out Shawn/HHH/Taker/Goldberg/etc.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

CopywrightMMXI posted:

I’ve brought it up before but it’s really dire how few guys under 30 they have. The main roster age problem is well documented but even NXT has a lot of guys in their mid to late 30s that are just treading water there. Punishment Martinez is even 38 years old and he just got called up. There’s obviously exceptions but usually wrestlers are hitting that combinations of their physical peak and knowledge of how to work in their early to mid 30s and the guys in that age group are just being wasted in the midcard carousel now and little hope of this improving any time soon.

This is especially jarring when you compare it to how many young guys AEW has.

I made a half joking comment in the AEW thread last week that they could do a hell of an 8 man tournament just with their under 25s (Jungle Boy, MJF, Lee Johnson, Alan Angels, Darius and Dante Martin, Marq Quen and Isiah Kassidy) and the more I think about it the less joking it feels.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

The only reason Edge became as popular as he did was because all the Attitude Era stars stepped away from the company.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Dango Bango posted:

I bet 2020 is only down because they didn't have the Saudi shows where they drag out Shawn/HHH/Taker/Goldberg/etc.

Yeah I had the exact same thought, I bet 2021 is even older than 2019.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

wwe hired a new evp to fire

bartok
May 10, 2006

That was my first WWE PPV in nearly two years and were they always that bad with the ads? I remember they used to show ads during the preshow but I don't remember that many during the actual PPV itself. Was the commentary always that poo poo too? It's barely a step up from the old Smackdown games.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

I still can't get over the 30-second ad read Cole had to do when Rey came out. One of the weirdest things I've heard on commentary – everyone else just shuts down and has to ignore everything going on because they have to read this script and can't break out of it at all. So bizarre.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

I thought Edge and Christian were kayfabe brothers, did they give up on that and now they're just buddies?

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
Can't believe they couldn't get Gangrel for the full reunion

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Mons Hubris posted:

I thought Edge and Christian were kayfabe brothers, did they give up on that and now they're just buddies?

They retconned it to best friends when Christian returned from TNA

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Edge & Christian posted:

They treated Dusty Rhodes as a "new guy" in '89, despite him main eventing MSG several times against Superstar Billy Graham in a feud for the WWWF title a decade earlier.

I remember when Ricky Steamboat returned in '91, they practically treated him as if he'd never been there before.

Mons Hubris posted:

Vince developed another weird quirk in the 2000s, where if people weren't really related, then they couldn't be billed as such. It's why Ryder and Hawkins had to drop the "Major Bros" gimmick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

WWE is old people wrestling for old people

Then, now, forever