Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Terrible Opinions posted:

Doing that same wiki dive and seeing the possible etymology from boarding school slavery stuff has convinced me like never before that boarding schools and those American child abuse camps are identical.

Routinized cruelty to children has definitely always been part of the process of shoring up the values and behavior of the ruling class. American prep schools have a strong history of sexual abuse as well, from faculty as well as students.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Famethrowa posted:

yes, and I am baffled by the decision of a 3 day marinade :catstare:

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/e4584653-aa8e-4a94-940e-4c11dbd2f360

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I knew a guy who was so boring that he watched a Nigella Lawson show just for the food.

It's important to note that the Daily Wire only distributed that school-shooter movie, not produced it. There are two lovely parties at play.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The school shooter movie was produced by Cinestate (under a different name) and sex criminal Adam Donaghey was a producer on the film.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Monday has come, time for JSF Sterling to talk stonks

https://youtu.be/aXSCkrUwTZM

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

muscles like this! posted:

The school shooter movie was produced by Cinestate (under a different name) and sex criminal Adam Donaghey was a producer on the film.
Yeah, José gets into that in the video.
Sarah Z made a video on Twillight.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4QEFLhlh-Y
I love to see how she's evolved as a creator. She doesn't seem to emulate any person in particular, but is just doing her own thing. I especially like her small, straight face "might miss it" jokes like calling The Lighthouse slice of life.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Sarcopenia posted:

I love to see how she's evolved as a creator. She doesn't seem to emulate any person in particular, but is just doing her own thing. I especially like her small, straight face "might miss it" jokes like calling The Lighthouse slice of life.

I don't like how she's evolved into someone making billion hour long videos personally, I would watch her video on Twilight if it was 30 mins cause I generally like her content but I don't have enough time or interest in Twilight in TYOOL 2021 to watch 90 minutes.¨

E: Also skipped her Johnlocke vid for similar reason, although that one was also because I'd already seen like two vids by other content creators about the same stuff.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Routinized cruelty to children has definitely always been part of the process of shoring up the values and behavior of the ruling class. American prep schools have a strong history of sexual abuse as well, from faculty as well as students.
Oh I'm sure but being poor to middle class in America means I have more exposure to the schools for kidnapping and torturing "troubled" kids than elite schools for torturing "gifted" rich kids.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Core-A gaming has a real knack for naming his videos weird things.

This video is about Tekken's Korean Back Dash technique, but also it's about emergent gameplay and dribbling in Basketball.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzIfubaQLyk

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Oh I'm sure but being poor to middle class in America means I have more exposure to the schools for kidnapping and torturing "troubled" kids than elite schools for torturing "gifted" rich kids.

If you’re talking about WWASPs like Tranquility Bay, those are for petite bourgeoisie at least. Paris Hilton is so messed up partially because she was sent to one.

If you mean crooked charter schools or just underfunded public ones, I definitely agree.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Insurrectionist posted:

I don't like how she's evolved into someone making billion hour long videos personally, I would watch her video on Twilight if it was 30 mins cause I generally like her content but I don't have enough time or interest in Twilight in TYOOL 2021 to watch 90 minutes.¨

E: Also skipped her Johnlocke vid for similar reason, although that one was also because I'd already seen like two vids by other content creators about the same stuff.
I personally love long rear end videos.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Insurrectionist posted:

I usually like Sarah Z’s stuff but this one felt really inessential. “Twilight got a lot of misogynistic hate because it was something teenage girls liked” feels like a really cold take in 2021 and certainly not worthy of an hour and a half of video. She at least doesn’t overcorrect to “Twilight is Good, actually” at the end but it’s just... not really a good use of your time to watch. Which is a shame!

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

Insurrectionist posted:

Yeah, too many youtubers are releasing feature length videos nowadays

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Long form content is good imo. Saves me from pausing my game to find another video to watch/listen to.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~

Jamie Faith posted:

Long form content is good imo. Saves me from pausing my game to find another video to watch/listen to.

its this.

Breakfast Burrito
Aug 8, 2007

Violen posted:

its this.

i wish they would just do it as a podcast at that point though, or at least do nothing visual because they're clearly not using that part of the medium - i'm not gonna sit and watch an hour and half long youtube video but i'll listen to an hour and half long podcast while i'm doing other stuff

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Jamie Faith posted:

this. most of the time its just great to listen to some person ramble about a movie or a video game or some weird concept while playing video games or eating or driving. its nice.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Jamie Faith posted:

:same:, but also I've already watched feature length twilight apologia

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Cannot wait for twelve hours of hbomb prequel apologia.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Pants Donkey posted:

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Pants Donkey posted:

:emptyquote:

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
90% of the content on youtube is 20 minutes and below. Just stop bitching about it please.
Because

Jamie Faith posted:

Just let losers like me have our rare long form video juice.

Sarcopenia fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Feb 2, 2021

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I thought that 3-hour Tim Rogers video about Tokimeki Memorial was a bit much, but I did end up watching all of it in a few sittings. I guess between youtube being better about remembering where you left off, and now the nice little chapters you can put on videos, it's about as easy to pause and come back to a video down the road as it is to find the exact minute in part 5 of a 9-part video series now. Easier, really, on your phone since youtube hates keeping multi-part videos in sequential order for totally-not-insidious reasons.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The Sarah Z video where she talked out about alt accounts of fan-fiction writers got lost in the weeds a bit but that was less a problem with length and more with editing.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Jamie Faith posted:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Pants Donkey posted:

Only if it's divided into 60 12 minute videos. I'm not about to pause and come back to a video! It's either one sitting or gently caress off!

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

Only if it's divided into 60 12 minute videos. I'm not about to pause and come back to a video! It's either one sitting or gently caress off!

Ah, so plinketts method from 2010.

God remember when youtube had a hard 10 minute cap.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

So long as you're not a complete idiot like Mauler, you're fine.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Inspector Gesicht posted:

So long as you're not a complete idiot like Mauler, you're fine.

:yeah:

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Real-Time FanDub makes its return with part 1 of Until Dawn. Alfred (who voiced Eggman in the previous ones) sadly isn’t present because of his hospital stay, but this is the first dub with Holly from WayneRadio’s crew joining the team, and she’s perfectly cast as the psychiatrist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgUrdk39X-I

Pigbuster fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Feb 2, 2021

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Kim Justice posted:

Also, you now live in fear of any moment in an old British cooking show where the hosts start talking about offal for fear someone's going to use the F slur in reference to a dish of pork offal-based meatballs.

Forget old, got a dose of that in last years loving Great British Menu.

Kim Justice posted:

It's a very different word here (or rather it has been for most of time). F___ot used to be an old measurement for a bundle of sticks. So from there you may find other bundles of things being called that. This is where the "f_g" slang for cigarettes comes from - a pack of cigarettes appears a bit like a pack of short sticks. You get the aforementioned meatball from here too -- which is a bunch of pork off cuts minced up into a meatball and then has an appearance of being bundled together because caul's wrapped around them.

This more humdrum etymology and the slur aren't totally unrelated, mind. On my Wiki travellings today I found the slur may come from a somewhat derogatory term for old women in Victorian times -- "F___ot-gatherer", because you used to get a load of old women eking out a meagre living collecting and selling bunches of sticks for firewood.

See what I'd heard was it became a slur as a reference to holocaust, ie they were bundled up like wood and put in ovens.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Excited for this, didn't much care for the Sonic Riders one as it felt like they had little content to work from even after mashing together 2-3 games and were really just hammering in jokes that didn't work, but a more cinematic game might be good fodder for them.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

If you’re talking about WWASPs like Tranquility Bay, those are for petite bourgeoisie at least. Paris Hilton is so messed up partially because she was sent to one.

If you mean crooked charter schools or just underfunded public ones, I definitely agree.
On checking it actually looks like they have the same cost. Turns out there just weren't any boarding schools near where I grew up, besides ones literally owned by cults.

A Sometimes Food posted:

See what I'd heard was it became a slur as a reference to holocaust, ie they were bundled up like wood and put in ovens.
That's a common but wrong folk etymology, wrong because we have written record of the slur being used in its current form in the 1920s.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The last time I read the word human being in any published book was Dune. Nothing to do with the author's homophobia, it was about a bundle of sticks as well.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

A Sometimes Food posted:

Every time Oliver Payton turns his nose up at a dish that a chef just worked their arse off to make I want to jump through the screen and castigate him in a thoroughly non-violent manner.

No-one's really given much thought to calling them owt different either. You can buy them anywhere...mind you, they aren't exactly the most popular or in fashion dish really so I guess no-one would really bother thinking about it. Not exactly Britain's favourite food, only old gits eat them. Like liver and onions.

Kim Justice fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Feb 2, 2021

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

That's a common but wrong folk etymology, wrong because we have written record of the slur being used in its current form in the 1920s.

Huh. Fair enough then.

Kim Justice posted:

Every time Oliver Payton turns his nose up at a dish that a chef just worked their arse off to make I want to jump through the screen and castigate him in a thoroughly non-violent manner.

No-one's really given much thought to calling them owt different either. You can buy them anywhere...mind you, they aren't exactly the most popular or in fashion dish really so I guess no-one would really bother thinking about it. Not exactly Britain's favourite food, only old gits eat them. Like liver and onions.

I appreciate that all the judging shows everywhere else get in a mean Englishman and the one British judging show I watch imports a mean Irishman instead.

Edit: also ngl, GBM is like the one thing everyone in my family watch giving us all common ground for like five weeks a year.

A Sometimes Food fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Feb 2, 2021

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

I'm totally fine with Susan Calman although I did wonder why she was there at "host" last time I watched. I mean, the poor fucker didn't even get to eat any of the food. Just came in every so often to be all "How are we doing?", make a joke and possibly carry a plate out. Like a glorified waitress.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Kim Justice posted:

I'm totally fine with Susan Calman although I did wonder why she was there at "host" last time I watched. I mean, the poor fucker didn't even get to eat any of the food. Just came in every so often to be all "How are we doing?", make a joke and possibly carry a plate out. Like a glorified waitress.

Yeah, I was really worried she'd be grating but by the end that was my impression. Let her eat, come on.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
last time i heard the f-slur was on the simpsons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

last time i heard the f-slur was on the simpsons

wait what? i never heard them use that.