Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

Doc Block posted:

First time animating anything with bones. Tentacle? Cucumber from Hell? You decide.

https://i.imgur.com/Fxl05O4.gifv
I like that one bit of fragment that comes right past the camera

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
reminder that bill wurtz is back and spent like 2 years learning blender:

https://youtu.be/zNTaVTMoNTk

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

toiletbrush posted:

I like that one bit of fragment that comes right past the camera

as soon as I saw that I made sure to bake out the rigid body simulation so it would always do it ;)

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
those are extremely rad

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
thanks

that’s all using luxrender

bidirectional rendering really is necessary for decent caustics, and makes it apparent that cycles pulls a lot of tricks to work the way it does. which gives shitloads of flexibility but prevents it from doing a few things it seems like decent dispersion and bidirectional path tracing

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

echinopsis fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jan 23, 2021

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

https://i.imgur.com/aFrPk1S.mp4

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
:tipshat:

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here
When you're having an existential crisis in a detective comic.

One of my ideas is to use a shader and transparency to make it look like there are three dimensional holes modeled into an object.
I'd need to have the position of transparency hole vary according to the position of the camera. Then the fake depth that would simulate the thickness of the material, which would also be subject to the lighting in the scene.
If anyone has advice I'd appreciate it.

Bluemillion fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jan 25, 2021

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
That's cool.

No ideas about the shader holes tho. Maybe some kind of layer underneath, slightly offset, like how you'd fake it in Photoshop?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQ8qaTCHoNE

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

the cooking robot and the way he made it blew my mind

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
he is so good at choosing how much effort to put into each part of a scene. I guess that is just the power of experience.

Whenever I try to create something i feel like I spend 96 hours on the hubcap and then forty five minutes on the rest because I'm sick of it.

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

How'd he do those filled in curvy bits at 0:30? That part came out looking really nice. Also that statue bit might be of interest to the guy who was doing meshroom stuff.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Corla Plankun posted:

he is so good at choosing how much effort to put into each part of a scene. I guess that is just the power of experience.

Whenever I try to create something i feel like I spend 96 hours on the hubcap and then forty five minutes on the rest because I'm sick of it.

same

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Bluemillion posted:

How'd he do those filled in curvy bits at 0:30? That part came out looking really nice. Also that statue bit might be of interest to the guy who was doing meshroom stuff.

im pretty sure he was doing a bevel in vertex instead of edge mode, and then he went back and cleaned it up

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
that cooking robot looks so nice. like an actual industrial robot made using real-world manufacturing techniques.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i was blown away by how good the food looked for being some cubes with a picture of vegetables projected onto them

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
I made a chair...

There's plenty wrong with it, like the ridiculous screws, and the cloth texture looks dumb as heck, but I'm pretty chuffed!

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Overall it looks nice. Those look like UV mapping problems on the cushions. The screws look ok, even if they're too big.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

toiletbrush posted:

I made a chair...

There's plenty wrong with it, like the ridiculous screws, and the cloth texture looks dumb as heck, but I'm pretty chuffed!

looks good! nice detail on the casters

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
cheers!

Doc Block posted:

Overall it looks nice. Those look like UV mapping problems on the cushions. The screws look ok, even if they're too big.
I've kinda skipped when tutorials talk about UV mapping, I should really learn it. The cloth texture is just two criss-crossed wave shaders as a bump map, I've fixed it to use UV inputs and it looks a ton better.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Yeah the reason it looked like that was because of UV stretching

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Hello YOSPOS I have always been interested in 3d modelling and have tinkered with Blender from time to time but never really put in many hours to do anything I really liked. Well since December and January had been quiet I put some time in to learn Stuff and I've finally made something I think is neat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-UDkvYIXn8

I'd love to hear some feedback. I learned a lot making the model and even restarted the project from scratch after hours of work because I'm a dumbass who made the first version out of one cube rather than several objects. Despite all that it was so much fun to make my doofy concept a reality

I originally called this gun the Cuckoo Glock but I decided not to tarnish the guns good name

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
I like it.

The texturing and materials need work. The bump maps are turned up too high. The metal doesn't look right, it's got more of a shiny concrete or cast metal look, as opposed to steel that's been machined on a mill or stamped out.

A lot of the edges need bevels to get rid of the infinite sharpness look. The pistol grip is too wide and too blocky.

Overall it’s good though, especially if you’ve never done it before. 👍

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Feb 1, 2021

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

nice work, you can tell a lot of effort went into it. I like the cuckoo bird

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

and really if that's your first serious project you're off to a great start, please keep posting in this thread!

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
I hope my earlier post didn’t come across as harsh or judgmental, god only knows my first attempt at doing a “real” model didn’t look half as good

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Jenny Agutter posted:

and really if that's your first serious project you're off to a great start, please keep posting in this thread!

Doc Block posted:

I hope my earlier post didn’t come across as harsh or judgmental, god only knows my first attempt at doing a “real” model didn’t look half as good

Thank you both! That was exactly what I was looking for in terms of feedback, looking at the model and textures I could tell things weren't right but I couldn't place exactly what they were. I've done a few (garbage) static models in the past but this was the first thing that I put real effort into and stuck with when things got awkward and I had to redo a bunch of my work. I'm still really pleased with it but the most important thing is that it showed me where to improve and Bevel loving Everything™ is one of the things I see getting reiterated in all the tutorials I watch and read.

As for textures I think that's mostly me not doing my research and instead thinking "Yeah that's probably what that should look like". I will say that I'm probably less enthusiastic about texturing than I am modelling but it didn't help that I didn't have a good idea what materials I wanted to make it out of other than the cuckoo parts being wood :v:

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Back when I was in film school and running a pirated copy of Lightwave 3D, I made so many spaceship models that were basically just a badly extruded cube with the world's worst texture slapped on without regard for UV mapping or anything.

With bevels it's important to know how to fix the problems they can cause. Sometimes you just need to add a loop or knife cut (especially if you're working non-destructively), other times you have to get in there and manually move and dissolve the vertices and edges. Other times you can get away with no bevel on that part of the model and instead use a bevel shader :haw:

There are some good videos on YouTube about it. "bevel topology cleanup" "bevel topolgy case study" etc.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i think it looks good, especially for a first model. most of the comments people have said above are the same ones i would give. those infinitely sharp CAD edges are something you always see when people are starting out cause it's not immediately obvious that everything in the real world has a tiny chamfer or round on its edge (except for like idk razor blades). but adding the bevels will catch the light and go a huge way to adding realism to the design.

another tip is when you have a flat surface, consider adding just a tiny bit of curvature to it somewhere. again in the real world very few things are perfectly planar; injection molded parts often warp a little, sheet metal gets bent, etc and you can see that in the shape of the surface reflection. you might not notice it but your brain does. that ian hubert 1 minute blender guy gets a whole lot of extra realism by adding very broad shallow noise textures to everything to simulate this effect.

finally i'd say build yourself a little scene for it to go in! even something simple like a wooden circular plinth and a red velvet sheet behind it would go a long way to making the whole thing look finished and cohesive, vs. the grassy park you're currently in.

you have done more animation in that video than i've done in the last 10 years though so props for that lol

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

also, keyshot has this great feature where there's a slider to just auto-bevel every edge in the entire model prior to rendering. you can set the radius and a range of edge angles to include/exclude and hit okay and boom it's done. works great. i'd be shocked if blender didn't have a way to do this too

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Sagebrush posted:

also, keyshot has this great feature where there's a slider to just auto-bevel every edge in the entire model prior to rendering. you can set the radius and a range of edge angles to include/exclude and hit okay and boom it's done. works great. i'd be shocked if blender didn't have a way to do this too

it’s called the bevel modifier

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

that is real neato and i can make it work on primitives created in blender but not this mesh i imported from rhino.

i just want to bevel that sharp edge on the end. what happen

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Sagebrush posted:

that is real neato and i can make it work on primitives created in blender but not this mesh i imported from rhino.

does the edge have a face or is it like a hollow cylinder?

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
also, what happens if you turn off Clamp Overlap?

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

the imported piece has some sort of shading even though you're in the model preview mode which might indicate blender is treating it differently, maybe try exporting it in a different format and reimporting to blender

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

fart simpson posted:

does the edge have a face or is it like a hollow cylinder?

no, it's got a bunch of faces on it. this is the rhino autogen quad mesh. is this mesh maybe not suitable for auto-beveling?

Doc Block posted:

also, what happens if you turn off Clamp Overlap?

doesn't do anything.

Jenny Agutter posted:

the imported piece has some sort of shading even though you're in the model preview mode which might indicate blender is treating it differently, maybe try exporting it in a different format and reimporting to blender

it was an fbx before so i re-imported it as an obj and the shading did change but the bevel still don't work.

here is the obj in question, if anyone has any other ideas: http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=09833600392115378635

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

no, it's got a bunch of faces on it. this is the rhino autogen quad mesh. is this mesh maybe not suitable for auto-beveling?

doesn't do anything.

it was an fbx before so i re-imported it as an obj and the shading did change but the bevel still don't work.

here is the obj in question, if anyone has any other ideas: http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=09833600392115378635
Does bevel work if you delete the end faces, create a new single face from all the end vertices and then do an inset? Alternatively you could do that and then use the subdivide modifier and use a loop cut to control the curviness of the end? I'm a total noob, so that might be terrible advice.

I made another chair, the camera angle makes the proportions look a bit funny, but it really is that ugly in real life.

I want to do this one next, but I've got no idea how to do the pinchy back bit