Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VinNYC82
Jan 26, 2004

I got a bit of FOMO last week and bit the bullet and decided to buy. I managed to snag AMC stock when it dipped down to $6.52 a share. I put down $2500 and got 383.xxx shares.

I feel pretty good about my decision. On the one hand, I have a lottery tickets chance of this stock rocketing up like gamestop and in which case HELL YEAH! I make a nice amount of money.

On the other hand, if it doesn't skyrocket, I should at least still be able to make a some amount of money once theaters re-open at full capacity, which they could theoretically do once enough vaccines have been rolled out.

Or maybe I'm just stupid. I dont know. At least I'm not like all the people on twitter I keep seeing saying "I bought AMC at 15.xx 19.xx" Thats just ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

GABA ghoul posted:

Market is up, VIX down, GME is crashing. Looks like this is over.

If the squeeze doesn't happen by friday it's time to move on, let the internet heal. The next pump and dump scheme is always around the corner

GME is remarkably stable today at 240-250

If you zoom out for the week its practically leveling off at that value.

Like thats the true value it should have in peoples minds.

loving wild.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

VinNYC82 posted:

I got a bit of FOMO last week and bit the bullet and decided to buy. I managed to snag AMC stock when it dipped down to $6.52 a share. I put down $2500 and got 383.xxx shares.

I feel pretty good about my decision. On the one hand, I have a lottery tickets chance of this stock rocketing up like gamestop and in which case HELL YEAH! I make a nice amount of money.

On the other hand, if it doesn't skyrocket, I should at least still be able to make a some amount of money once theaters re-open at full capacity, which they could theoretically do once enough vaccines have been rolled out.

Or maybe I'm just stupid. I dont know. At least I'm not like all the people on twitter I keep seeing saying "I bought AMC at 15.xx 19.xx" Thats just ridiculous.

Yeah at least before I hit my limit I was trying to sell shares that I initially got in the $14 range yesterday to trip and buy during a dip (which actually worked out).

Granted I own 5.34 shares of AMC so I doubt that will equal out much in the end. But lol at loading up in those ranges.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

VinNYC82 posted:

On the one hand, I have a lottery tickets chance of this stock rocketing up like gamestop and in which case HELL YEAH!
amc stock isnt in the same position gamestop stock was to rocket up. it should probably increase with loosened pandemic restrictions though

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

VinNYC82 posted:

Sell it now dude. Parties over.

VinNYC82
Jan 26, 2004

gary oldmans diary posted:

amc stock isnt in the same position gamestop stock was to rocket up. it should probably increase with loosened pandemic restrictions though

Yeah, I realize that. Thats why I used the term "lottery tickets chance". The stock is being hyped up enough online so who knows.

I followed the basic rule of "don't risk any more than I can afford to lose". So, I'm thinking I might just ride this out for a bit and see where things go.

Son of Rodney posted:

Sell it now dude. Parties over.

Eh, the stock has been a rollercoaster since the minute I bought it. I haven't got all that much invested. I feel like I can afford to ride it out for a bit.

VinNYC82 fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Feb 1, 2021

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

AMC isn’t a crazy buy though as has been pointed out in this thread multiple times. The odds are very good it’s gonna keep going up eventually back to $20 (ish)

Once the vaccine really gets rolling its time to opener up!

Barring some crazy poo poo AMC is gonna re open.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
So i don't totally hate AMC and good on them for shedding a bunch of debt during this boom which is certainly a good thing for their long term prospects, just be aware that well-known events like the vaccine rolling out and theaters eventually reopening are already priced in

the bull case is that everyone getting shut in for 15 months makes us realize that we actually loved going to theaters and people go more than they did pre-COVID but who knows if that's the case

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

MarcusSA posted:

AMC isn’t a crazy buy though as has been pointed out in this thread multiple times. The odds are very good it’s gonna keep going up eventually back to $20 (ish)

Once the vaccine really gets rolling its time to opener up!

Barring some crazy poo poo AMC is gonna re open.

yeah there are a whoooooooole lot of blockbuster movies that are just circling in a holding pattern, if they are able to come out this summer it's gonna be like bam-bam-bam every week.

very long term I wouldn't be holding them, because even pre-pandemic they'd been having trouble the last few years. people just don't go out to movies as much, and prestige TV is becoming a bigger cultural magnet than movies. but this summer / fall is gonna be great for them (if the vaxes work well and we all get to leave our houses).

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home

VinNYC82 posted:

I had a decent amount of FOMO with this whole ordeal but I am so risk-averse I didn't do anything. I think your low buy will end up fine in the long run.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

Klyith posted:

yeah there are a whoooooooole lot of blockbuster movies that are just circling in a holding pattern, if they are able to come out this summer it's gonna be like bam-bam-bam every week.

very long term I wouldn't be holding them, because even pre-pandemic they'd been having trouble the last few years. people just don't go out to movies as much, and prestige TV is becoming a bigger cultural magnet than movies. but this summer / fall is gonna be great for them (if the vaxes work well and we all get to leave our houses).

Counterpoint, the 5G in the vaccine means everyone will be able to stream on the go!

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

VinNYC82 posted:

Yeah, I realize that. Thats why I used the term "lottery tickets chance".
my bad

VinNYC82
Jan 26, 2004

Hey all, thanks for the replies. Makes me feel a bit better about my purchase. I'll keep lurking this thread for now and keeping my eyes open.

Good luck to everyone.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

VinNYC82 posted:

Yeah, I realize that. Thats why I used the term "lottery tickets chance". The stock is being hyped up enough online so who knows.

I followed the basic rule of "don't risk any more than I can afford to lose". So, I'm thinking I might just ride this out for a bit and see where things go.

Eh, the stock has been a rollercoaster since the minute I bought it. I haven't got all that much invested. I feel like I can afford to ride it out for a bit.

tbh at your price it's propably a long hold that will pay off at some point. I'd sell it and buy back in at a way lower price personally, as I expect it to go back to 5 before long, but if you're willing to gamble on it and it's no money you need you'll propably not lose anything in the long term.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

posting a classic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddTFmGx-BzA

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Some people are buying billboards about this, others are making art with this.

This needs to get posted in the sub reddit stat.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...&ref_=pd_gw_unk

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

wyoak posted:

So i don't totally hate AMC and good on them for shedding a bunch of debt during this boom which is certainly a good thing for their long term prospects, just be aware that well-known events like the vaccine rolling out and theaters eventually reopening are already priced in

the bull case is that everyone getting shut in for 15 months makes us realize that we actually loved going to theaters and people go more than they did pre-COVID but who knows if that's the case

Not long-term but I'm pretty confident it will have that effect for at least a little while. People are tired of being stuck at home and also don't like being told they can't do something even if they're mature enough to understand why those restrictions exist and are willing to follow them. When people can go back to theaters they will, if only for the novelty of it and so they can see a movie that's not in their living room again.

But I think eventually things will level off to where they've been.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Fake James posted:

Counterpoint, the 5G in the vaccine means everyone will be able to stream on the go!

The 5G in the vaccine means you should be buying Nokia.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

That was a fun half week or pretending we can hurt rich people. Well, back to the mines.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

This just in!

quote:

A note from Robinhood
Hi Marcus,

We wanted to reach out to you after a transformative week in the markets to answer a question we know many of you are asking: “Why did Robinhood limit certain stocks?”

We understand that the temporary limits we placed on certain stocks this past week were frustrating for many, especially since we built Robinhood to expand access to investing. We have always sought to put our customers first and we want you to be able to invest on your own terms.

To help explain what happened and why we had to take action, we wrote a letter to our customers and captured the key understandings for you below:

For Robinhood to operate, we must meet clearinghouse deposit requirements to support customer trades.

Deposit requirements are determined in part by how much stock a firm’s customers hold. If a firm’s customers’ holdings are volatile, a broker (in this instance Robinhood) is obligated to meet higher deposit requirements.

Last week, in part due to volatility in some popular stocks, Robinhood’s deposit requirements rose tenfold. The combination of the deposit increase and the extraordinary increase in volume on these particular symbols led us to put temporary buying restrictions in place on a small number of those stocks.
We had to take steps to limit buying in those volatile stocks to ensure we could comfortably meet our deposit obligations. We didn’t want to stop people from buying stocks and we certainly weren’t trying to help hedge funds.

We hope you take away this: at Robinhood, we stand with everyday investors participating in the markets. Standing by our Robinhood community means being there for our customers through any trading environment. We’ll continue to improve as we break down barriers in the financial system to open it for all.

Thank you for being a part of the Robinhood community.
Sincerely,
The Robinhood Team

ChronoBasher
Jul 2, 2007
So -30% close and another -16% after hours. Who's holding bags?

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Found an interesting explanation of what a gamma squeeze is which seemed to be part of the redditors strategy to raise the stock prices.

https://realinvestmentadvice.com/what-the-hunt-brothers-can-teach-us-about-gamma-squeezes/

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

ChronoBasher posted:

Whos buying dips? This stupid thing could go up tomorrow. 💎🙌💎🙌💎🙌

Real talk though the lack of posts in this thread is a strong indicator that there is a lack of funny news to share. Bad news if you are a meme stock.

Did anyone have time to research if there is still squeeze action going on? I didn’t bother because I don’t actually have any gamestop.

I thought shorts come out 15th and 1st.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

GameStop

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Klyith posted:

Even if the vaxes work the logistic is it's still gonna be pandemic oclock for your average person well into next year, so unless you're picturing a theater packed full of senior citizens watching the next marvel thing banking on this summer/fall is a bit overly optimistic.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

wyoak posted:

I hated going to theaters

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped

ArbitraryC posted:

Even if the vaxes work the logistic is it's still gonna be pandemic oclock for your average person well into next year, so unless you're picturing a theater packed full of senior citizens watching the next marvel thing banking on this summer/fall is a bit overly optimistic.

Well to be fair it took a long while from WSB saying GME was undervalued to when news came out leading to a climb.

So that is a warning for any goons wanting to make money instantly by following WSB.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

John_A_Tallon posted:

I hated going to theaters

good, we didn't want you there

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

ChronoBasher posted:

I still have 10 shares, my life isn't changing either way so I didn't sell them. Probably will just wind up as a bagholder but I don't even mind, well played conmen, well played

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights

spunkshui posted:

Whos buying dips? This stupid thing could go up tomorrow. 💎🙌💎🙌💎🙌

Real talk though the lack of posts in this thread is a strong indicator that there is a lack of funny news to share. Bad news if you are a meme stock.

Did anyone have time to research if there is still squeeze action going on? I didn’t bother because I don’t actually have any gamestop.

I thought shorts come out 15th and 1st.

All stats point to a huge number of shorts being closed, but reddit is ignoring that and saying it's fake data because it doesn't fit their narrative, even though it's from the same company they relied on before.

Also shorts are indefinite they don't have a date to "come out"

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

wyoak posted:

I know the first thing I wanna do once this pandemic is over is sit around staring at a screen in a dark room

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

*smashes sound board* HIRE HIRE HIRE a graphics designer.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

salt shakeup posted:

All stats point to a huge number of shorts being closed, but reddit is ignoring that and saying it's fake data because it doesn't fit their narrative, even though it's from the same company they relied on before.

Also shorts are indefinite they don't have a date to "come out"

No no like there’s some list that gets published and it doesn’t get published every day and so I wanted to know if that came out.

I get that you can keep a short active.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
So it looks like The Iron Sheik is involved in this as well:

https://twitter.com/the_ironsheik/status/1354588603024867328

https://twitter.com/the_ironsheik/status/1354794037740449793

https://twitter.com/the_ironsheik/status/1354944870994083847

https://twitter.com/the_ironsheik/status/1355599409652891648

https://twitter.com/the_ironsheik/status/1356001910390730754

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

I THINK at some point WSB wasn't trying to recommend anything. It was just a bunch of casual YOLO (if that isn't a contradiction in terms) investors posting like it's E/N. The idea that you can make money following WSB advice is new I think and I'm not sure how their predictions playing out or not will affect that.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I'm actually a Colonel in the DogeCoin Army.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Meme Poker Party posted:

I'm actually a Colonel in the DogeCoin Army.

Where my loving money?

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights

spunkshui posted:

No no like there’s some list that gets published and it doesn’t get published every day and so I wanted to know if that came out.

I get that you can keep a short active.

OH sry I misunderstood you, I understand what you mean now. This was the latest figures I saw

https://twitter.com/ihors3/status/1356261806612885509

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/Cokedupoptions/status/1356407673441325058?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Bright Bart posted:

I THINK at some point WSB wasn't trying to recommend anything. It was just a bunch of casual YOLO (if that isn't a contradiction in terms) investors posting like it's E/N. The idea that you can make money following WSB advice is new I think and I'm not sure how their predictions playing out or not will affect that.

remember when some mod here made a le epic bacon zany post about how funny it'd be to buy a racist hotdog slinger a shack in buttholeville and dudes started blowing their kids' christmas money on it

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Feb 2, 2021