Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Re: Sword, if I were a writer retrofitting it in, I'd guess that it existed as a relatively small agency dedicated to searching specifically just to searching for alien life/threats and ways to counter it after Captain Marvel, probably thought of by the world as under the umbrella of 'SHIELD poo poo' even though it was technically independent, and then after the snap the world realised it needed a proper replacement for SHIELD and SWORD was convenient and there to be expanded out and promoted into that role. Probably just handed over all the old SHIELD poo poo that had been sitting in US military warehouses and repainted them, too.

It makes sense to assume it was a kind of SHIELD-approved sub-agency for the 'alien threats' role, given the circumstances around its founding.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Feb 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Everyone posted:

I like the idea that's being put out for a series featuring Jimmy Woo and Darcy Lewis as a kind of Marvel X-Files with them investigating weird crap that doesn't necessary get on the Avengers' radar. WandaVision has a concept that seems a little too specific to repeat, but Lewis and Woo as the Marvel Mulder and Scully? I could totally see that.

So early Agents of SHEILD but with a tighter main cast? Sure, sign me up.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

tsob posted:

It might conceivably give Disney pause on making MCU shows that aren't just straight action tales like Falcon or Loki, but I doubt it'll stop even that on it's own and there'd probably need to be at least two non-action shows with lukewarm to bad reception before they consider not making any more. I'm not sure what the next one in that vein even is. Maybe She-Hulk? Which is a year or more off, at the very least.

Edmund Lava posted:

She-Hulk is supposed to be a legal comedy and I would be very upset if they gave up on that concept. I’m sure it’ll be fine though. Worst case they rethink these mega budgets and like I care. It’s not like I’m getting any of that money.

I can totally see them going for future shows heavy on action scenes, and drop any experimental original stuff. The main complain I've seen from some RL friends it's why the show doesn't have that, action scenes and evil guys dying and etc. (Although we have to consider that these characters were barely in the movies and the actors were given not much to work with. We can't compare them in popularity with Iron Man or Nick Fury, who were like literally in almost every movie).

Other friends are loving the mystery and that lingering horror, but I guess we are a minority.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

tsob posted:

Does it really matter if it's doing good? It's only 9 episodes long, is already finished production and isn't a story you can comfortably make a sequel to any way. You could conceivably have a different show starring those characters at another point in their lives, but that would presumably depend not just on what this show does in it's finale but on what happens in Dr. Strange 2 and possibly other movies too. It's not like Disney is going to slow down on making TV shows for the MCU based of one bad entry either, and the other shows like Falcon or Hawkeye are different enough that this show having a poor reception doesn't really mean much to them either.

It might conceivably give Disney pause on making MCU shows that aren't just straight action tales like Falcon or Loki, but I doubt it'll stop even that on it's own and there'd probably need to be at least two non-action shows with lukewarm to bad reception before they consider not making any more. I'm not sure what the next one in that vein even is. Maybe She-Hulk? Which is a year or more off, at the very least.

It matters a little, because if it's not considered a success (by whatever weird logic Disney uses), they could scale back on future MCU shows. I think one "issue" might be that The Mandalorian is something anybody can jump right into and enjoy with little to no context. With this show that's a bit harder to do. I have some neighbors in their late sixties who know nothing about the MCU and watched it because it looked like a fun send up of the old sitcoms they like. And they loving loved the first 3 episodes. And HATED the 4th episode because they had absolutely no clue what the hell was going on. I told them to check out the "Legends" episodes on Wanda and Vision, but I'm curious how they'll feel about the show as it keeps going. It's clearly going to depend on some interest MCU.

And that's fine for me. But it's just not going to do Mando numbers. And if Disney is expecting that, and doesn't see that, it could have blowback on the other MCU shows.

(It was funny when I found out my neighbors watched WandaVision. Like, they're this sweet old retired hippie couple, and they said they watched it and were so confused by episode 4. I gave them a little primer, but they looked so lost. "Wait, Vision is dead? How does that work?" I dunno, man. I dunno.)

Whatever, I'm gonna enjoy the ride.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Unless Disney had wildly unrealistic expectations those numbers actually sound really good. There was no way that it was ever going to compete with Mandalorian.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Open Source Idiom posted:

Did Marvel release this many trailers for The Mandalorian?

I know there's no real way of telling, but I get the sense that Disney isn't seeing the numbers for this program that they wanted to see.
I just had this thought as well, I think people may have checked out from the first couple of episodes because it wasn't "Marvel" enough and this is them trying to say, "no really - here's all the stuff you want."

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

MikeJF posted:

Re: Sword, if I were a writer retrofitting it in, I'd guess that it existed as a relatively small agency dedicated to searching specifically just to searching for alien life/threats and ways to counter it after Captain Marvel, probably thought of by the world as under the umbrella of 'SHIELD poo poo' even though it was technically independent, and then after the snap the world realised it needed a proper replacement for SHIELD and SWORD was convenient and there to be expanded out and promoted into that role. Probably just handed over all the old SHIELD poo poo that had been sitting in US military warehouses and repainted them, too.

It makes sense to assume it was a kind of SHIELD-approved sub-agency for the 'alien threats' role, given the circumstances around its founding.

Fury and Rambeau staying in touch makes sense as well. Presumably he helped make the case to the higher ups as he got closer to the big chair at SHIELD

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

thrawn527 posted:

It matters a little, because if it's not considered a success (by whatever weird logic Disney uses), they could scale back on future MCU shows.

I don't even think it matters in that respect, because if Falcon & The Winter Soldier and Loki aren't already finished production, they're both so close that it doesn't matter and there's no way they're going to be cancelled; so they will air, and they'll both have much more straight action stories, though Loki will probably have some mystery and thriller aspects by the look of it, along with some Jeremy Bearimyness about it as well as both having more prominent actors and celebrities (especially Tom Hiddleston in Loki), and so have that as an additional audience draw regardless. Hawkeye and Ms. Marvel are both probably quite far along in production too, along with What If.... So even if WandaVision doesn't draw numbers, there's multiple shows lined up behind it Disney can use to gauge interest in the MCU for television, rather than just interest in more oddball shows with a smaller focus like WandaVision.

tsob fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Feb 1, 2021

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

tsob posted:

I don't even think it matters in that respect, because if Falcon & The Winter Soldier and Loki aren't already finished production, they're both so close that it doesn't matter and there's no way they're going to be cancelled; so they will air, and they'll both have much more straight action stories, though Loki will probably have some mystery and thriller aspects by the look of it, along with some Jeremy Bearimyness about it as well as both having more prominent actors and celebrities (especially Tom Hiddleston in Loki), and so have that as an additional audience draw regardless. Hawkeye and Ms. Marvel are both probably quite far along in production too, along with What If.... So even if WandaVision doesn't draw numbers, there's multiple shows lined up behind it Disney can use to gauge interest in the MCU for television, rather than just interest in more oddball shows with a smaller focus like WandaVision.

I admit that one reason I'm enjoying WandaVision is that it at least seems to be a discrete story with a beginning, middle and end - even if that end essentially forms the beginning of another movie. It's not like there was going to be a Season 2/3/etc of WandaVision even if I was the one who suggested buddy cop movies being the theme (though watching Elizabeth Olsen constantly don and remove sunglasses while spitting out "pithy" one-liners ala Horatio Caine from CSI: Miami would have been a thing of glory).

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Black Panther spinoff series is coming to Disney+ as part of Ryan Coogler's newly announced overall deal with Disney

https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1356332139986345984

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

MikeJF posted:

This makes sense, but it's funny to me because if that was their mission they poo poo the bed about as hard as they possibly could by not noticing/dealing with in any visible way Thanos and his invasion but everybody in management apparently got to keep their jobs.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Barry Convex posted:

Black Panther spinoff series is coming to Disney+ as part of Ryan Coogler's newly announced overall deal with Disney

Midnight Angels or bust :colbert:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

First look at the Zemo and US Agent costumes

https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1356278904764440579?s=20

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Harlock posted:

I just had this thought as well, I think people may have checked out from the first couple of episodes because it wasn't "Marvel" enough and this is them trying to say, "no really - here's all the stuff you want."

Just more reason they should've trimmed back that crazy seven-minute credits sequence and spread out this episode's developments among the first three.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Interesting they didn't go for black like US Agent in the comics. I'm guessing there's something in the storyline about getting this version in the public consciousness as the new Cap instead of/ahead of Sam and/or Bucky.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

The_Doctor posted:

Interesting they didn't go for black like US Agent in the comics. I'm guessing there's something in the storyline about getting this version in the public consciousness as the new Cap instead of/ahead of Sam and/or Bucky.

I fully expect US Agent to turn over a new leaf and become like the covert face of Cap America, so he'll switch to black.

Also, I really hope Disney does not want to switch off this different style in WandaVision, I love it so much, having those amazing sitcom call backs with that sense of dread throughout. It'll be a godawful shame to not have something like this now and then. Although I'd be fine if they gloss over Carol being unwillingly raped and father her mentally controlling husband while all the Avengers clap and are happy for them.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

BrianWilly posted:

So when's someone gonna mention it's real weird that Wanda got preggers from a robot

See, you say that as if it was the weirdest thing on this show. It's not. Even the super fast-forward preggers isn't.

You really need to think about Wanda Maximoff's probable life history. Until age 10 she and her brother presumably had parents and lived in Sokovia. Zemo acknowledges the even prior to the Avengers dropped a city out of the sky, Sokovia was a "failed state" basically one of Donald Trump's "shithole countries." So Wanda and Pietro are orphaned and almost killed at age 10. From there they probably either live on the streets or are maybe stuck in some godawful orphanage cum cheap labor camp or something. Then they're found, recruited and experimented on by HYDRA. Then by Ultron, who kills Pietro. And then Wanda joins the Avengers becomes a fugitive (and is in a relationship with Vision) until Vision is killed and then Wanda get Snapped.

In all of that, the closest thing Wanda experienced to normal was watching old American sitcom on crappy Sokovian TV while some kind of civil war happened outside. Until it came inside. It isn't just that Wanda remembers those sitcom as being one of the only times that she was happy as a kid. Presumably she was also happy with Vision. It wouldn't have taken much effort for her to go find a deserted island somewhere and re-make it into a much cozier version of "Castaway" with Vision.

I don't think that Wanda wants a life with Vision. She wants a "normal everyday" life with Vision. Remember how concerned she is about "fitting in." Wanda "town-napped" Westview to be her "happy ending" because she thinks that those sitcoms are what normal life is actually like for people because she has no other real frame of reference.

It wouldn't have been so bad if she'd hooked up romantically with Steve Rogers, or Rhodey or just a guy (or girl) delivering shawarma to the Avengers HQ. Unfortunately, the love of Wanda's life turned out to be a being with even less real-world human life experience than her.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
my wild theory is that Wanda's last resort for "fitting in" is going to be making weirdos with powers like herself and Vision more commonplace, which is to say, yes more mutants

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Barry Convex posted:

So is this in place of a Black Panther 2, or in addition to it?

No, I didn’t read the article, why?

Lunatic Sledge posted:

my wild theory is that Wanda's last resort for "fitting in" is going to be making weirdos with powers like herself and Vision more commonplace, which is to say, yes more mutants

I maintain my opinion that something that big will probably not happen in a TV show, but in the Dr. Strange movie.

“No...mutants.”

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
The idea of sitcom land being due to Wanda growing up with decades-old syndicated reruns on Sokovian PBS has been poking through my brain a lot too -- would give some context to "why sitcoms" while actually still tying in to past information about the characters

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

I'm re-watching Dr. Strange and uh.

:eyepop:

Edit: It's probably just a coincidence.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

That picture is too dark to even make out what you are pointing at

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

That picture is too dark to even make out what you are pointing at

buncha hexagons, no idea what they're even supposed to be in that shot tho

e: oh those are the forbidden books or whatever in the library

it's probably just because hexagons tessellate and look cool

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

eke out posted:

buncha hexagons, no idea what they're even supposed to be in that shot tho

e: oh those are the forbidden books or whatever in the library

it's probably just because hexagons tessellate and look cool

Yeah,yeah. It's the Ancient One's library. But indeed, it's probably just like a coincidence. lol if at the end Wanda or someone is using her to try and steal a book from Dr. Strange, that opens the multiverse

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

jivjov posted:

The idea of sitcom land being due to Wanda growing up with decades-old syndicated reruns on Sokovian PBS has been poking through my brain a lot too -- would give some context to "why sitcoms" while actually still tying in to past information about the characters

I kind of love that if Stark and the other Avengers had just, I don't know, helped Wanda get a GED and let her go to college for a couple of years and experience actual normal life this probably wouldn't have happened.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Everyone posted:

I kind of love that if Stark and the other Avengers had just, I don't know, helped Wanda get a GED and let her go to college for a couple of years and experience actual normal life this probably wouldn't have happened.

One thing we missed by Bucky being an adult and not a teenager during the war is the version of Cap who chases teen superheroes and tells them to go to school.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Edmund Lava posted:

One thing we missed by Bucky being an adult and not a teenager during the war is the version of Cap who chases teen superheroes and tells them to go to school.

The comics have recently had a cute relationship between him and the Miles Spidey. They bond over being Brooklyn boys and Cap is very supportive of the MU's AOC stand-in

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Give me an Immortal Hulk miniseries directed by David Cronenberg.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Technowolf posted:

Give me an Immortal Hulk miniseries directed by David Cronenberg.

God, Ruffalo would be able to knock it out of the park, too

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Everyone posted:

I mean its interesting right: Cap, Tony, Wanda, Banner, Black Widow, and bucky clearly all have unresolved trauma and they'd rather punch their feelings away. But with Wanda, Cap of all people should of known better and got her help.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

That mask better be permanently attached to his face because of a glue accident or NO SALE

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

zoux posted:

That mask better be permanently attached to his face because of a glue accident or NO SALE

:hmmyes:

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

zoux posted:

Isn't he sitting in a Wakandan jail cell right now? Maybe Shuri needs his face to rebuild Vision.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

Mooseontheloose posted:

I mean its interesting right: Cap, Tony, Wanda, Banner, Black Widow, and bucky clearly all have unresolved trauma and they'd rather punch their feelings away. But with Wanda, Cap of all people should of known better and got her help.

Just about all of the 'old' generation of heroes (Steve, Tony, Bruce, Natasha, Clint) are explicitly depicted in Endgame as being too damaged, too set in their ways, and unsuited for the next generation of threats and needing to step aside. Ever since AoU it's practically just been a cascading series of personal failures. In the immediate situation Steve probably couldn't help but see her, at some level, as a soldier or an asset in a war.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

The X-man cometh posted:

Isn't he sitting in a Wakandan jail cell right now? Maybe Shuri needs his face to rebuild Vision.

Nah last we saw he was in the same cell block they were keeping the Winter Soldier in when they caught him so somewhere in Europe.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, I think the idea is T'challa handed him over to Martin Freeman

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

The X-man cometh posted:

WakandaVision?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

Just about all of the 'old' generation of heroes (Steve, Tony, Bruce, Natasha, Clint) are explicitly depicted in Endgame as being too damaged, too set in their ways, and unsuited for the next generation of threats and needing to step aside. Ever since AoU it's practically just been a cascading series of personal failures. In the immediate situation Steve probably couldn't help but see her, at some level, as a soldier or an asset in a war.

Admittedly I don't remember Endgame all that well, but while I can certainly see how it depicted a lot of the characters as either damaged or set in their ways, I don't recall the movie showing them as unsuitable for the next generation of threats. Mostly tired or damaged, and wanting to have a life instead of being a hero, so far as I recall. I don't even think Endgame depicted Bruce that way though honestly. Hurt certainly, but he was fit enough to fit against Thanos' forces, so he'd probably be good to keep heroing for a while if he wanted really.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
Among other things, all the callbacks to Ultron (a joint Tony and Bruce failure, though Tony usually gets most of the blame) as a misguided attempt to fend off those future threats. Most of the movies after AoU were part of the fallout of having to clean up that mess, and they loved throwing that in Tony's face. Bruce's 'merged' persona was clearly putting on a phony happy face. And Steve was motivated all along by his regret over the life he thought he'd left behind, and ultimately chose to return to. They pulled together in the end to do the right thing but they all clearly recognized their time was properly coming to an end. Bruce, at least, seems to be okay with sticking around in a consulting/assisting role, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

zoux posted:

The purple ridged mask makes him look like an Utwig from Star Control