Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I've only ever seen the Kentucky version, so I think they settled on that for syndication.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

I watched that Ned becomes a teacher episode when I was in Mexico last year.

That's all.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Porfiriato posted:

https://twitter.com/SimpsonsQOTD/status/1356169547397689344

I realize this account isn't Official Simpsons Canon but did anyone ever actually see the "Southern Missouri" ending of Behind the Music? I lived near MO at the time and am almost positive we got the "Northern Kentucky" version.

Yep. And then on the syndicated rerun we got the Northern Kentucky version. It was the last really good gag on the last really good episode (which was also the only really good episode of that season).

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Yep. And then on the syndicated rerun we got the Northern Kentucky version. It was the last really good gag on the last really good episode (which was also the only really good episode of that season).

Springfield Kentucky is south of both Louisville and Lexington, I wouldn't call it "northern" :colbert:

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
They live in the state of Ohiyamaude.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
But why does the American flag have 47 stars?

Debunk This!
Apr 12, 2011

I'm pretty sure Pie Man was the episode that killed The Simpsons for me. Never watched another new episode after this terrible unfunny "parody".

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

What was it parodying? Actually strike that, I don’t want to know.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Iron Crowned posted:

Springfield Kentucky is south of both Louisville and Lexington, I wouldn't call it "northern" :colbert:

That's where they relocated the town after the episode where Homer takes over the garbage.

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here

Last Chance posted:

What was it parodying? Actually strike that, I don’t want to know.

The real pie man, duh

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

We got "Northern Kentucky" in New Zealand when it first aired. I honestly didn't even realise there were other versions until a few years ago.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Alternative take: they never revealed the in-show location, they were referring to the actors' hometown location

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Debunk This! posted:

I'm pretty sure Pie Man was the episode that killed The Simpsons for me. Never watched another new episode after this terrible unfunny "parody".
You gave up on the simpsons because of a season 22 episode?

(I did not look up what season that episode is actually in because why would I bother)

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Mantis42 posted:

That's where they relocated the town after the episode where Homer takes over the garbage.

:hmmyes:

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

Debunk This! posted:

halfway through this episode is the exact moment I realized I no longer enjoyed the simpsons and turned it off

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Mantis42 posted:

but didn't they just move one town over?

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
Way back in the before times, when an ornamental tree ran the country and it was dumb, but we were kinda sure it wasn't malevolently dumb, there was a Simpsons bit that made me stop watching the show for good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgRLlqEvOT8

It was the "Nnnnnnn, that's good satire!" that broke me.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
OH YOU MEAN THE ENRON RIDE

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Clitch posted:

Way back in the before times, when an ornamental tree ran the country and it was dumb, but we were kinda sure it wasn't malevolently dumb, there was a Simpsons bit that made me stop watching the show for good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgRLlqEvOT8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9vvzcS0fgI

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
I'm not going to date a man with pie on his face.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Gumbly is taking a life of its own on Twitter.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Hedgehog Pie posted:

OH YOU MEAN THE ENRON RIDE

It literally could have been a good joke if:

- Homer just said "actually, they have something like that here!"
- The ride was just called "The Enron Experience"
- Removal of the "mmmm that's good satire" line.

Like so, so, sooo many post-classic Simpsons jokes, 5 seconds of scrutiny turns a bad joke into a decent one.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I actually wonder a lot about how sight gags work in animated shows that are scripted rather than storyboarded. I feel like most shows that have a strong tradition of visual gags owe it to the careful and iterative development of an episode through storyboarding and acting out the scenes; and I think a lot of animated shows cut corners by going straight from a text script to animation without any of that visual development. Not only does that leave jokes in their initial, un-workshopped state, it makes it impossible to really do a purely visual gag that doesn't rely on Homer piping up with an expository line like "Oh, you mean the Enron ride!"

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Detective No. 27 posted:

It will be on an episode of The Simpsons in four and a half years, mark my words!

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Clitch posted:

that line makes it feel as though they're trying to be self-aware, that they know they're doing a hacky joke, but the whole bit is overwritten. "we're all going to be rich!" doesn't make any sense and isn't funny.

just have the visual gag and then at the end have that guy who says "awwwww" in the Droopy voice say "awwwww" in the Droopy voice. or have the roller coaster explode for no reason after it stops.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I vividly remember Family Guy doing the exact same joke, only with Disney instead of Enron. In my mind it was actually a bit better because, unusually, they didn't overcook it. I'm not going to go searching for the clip to see if I was right though.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Empty Sandwich posted:

that line makes it feel as though they're trying to be self-aware, that they know they're doing a hacky joke, but the whole bit is overwritten. "we're all going to be rich!" doesn't make any sense and isn't funny.

just have the visual gag and then at the end have that guy who says "awwwww" in the Droopy voice say "awwwww" in the Droopy voice. or have the roller coaster explode for no reason after it stops.

What I hate the most about that line is that I'm 90% sure it's ADR punch-up. They got to the edit, realized how lame and on-the-nose the joke was, and then tried to fix it with the self-aware crap.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Last Chance posted:

It will be on an episode of The Simpsons in four and a half years, mark my words!

It may have to be in a reboot. The show still has not gotten a renewal announcement and I believe they are past the usual point where production would have started. With the Fox network no longer having ownership of the show I suspect they may finally be done with it.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Huh, I guess I'm so used to hearing "Simpsons renewed!" I didn't realize they hadn't been this time around yet.

I feel like I've asked this question in this same thread before but who cares, do you think if The Simpsons had ended in the late 90s/early 00s, they'd be considering reviving it at this point? Makes me wonder what sort of thing we'd get in that weird scenario

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The last renewal will leave them with 7 episodes in production that don't air this season, so it's possible they pull the plug but still have an abbreviated Season 33. Maybe they rush together a series finale too.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

PostNouveau posted:

The last renewal will leave them with 7 episodes in production that don't air this season, so it's possible they pull the plug but still have an abbreviated Season 33. Maybe they rush together a series finale too.

7-hour clip show

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Disney should just pay the Frinkiac guys to collaborate with ikanreed and release remixed meme episodes for another decade

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Oh if you do a partial Season 33, it kinda lines you up for a Christmas series finale too.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Failed Imagineer posted:

Disney should just pay the Frinkiac guys to collaborate with ikanreed and release remixed meme episodes for another decade

also juiceone to produce a feature length mcbain movie

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Nah mate, Dankmus music video montage or nothing.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Clip show set to Green Day's "Time of Your Life" duh

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Code Jockey posted:

also juiceone to produce a feature length mcbain movie

I can live without more mendoza stuff tbh, even though I appreciate the obsessive craft

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

Gumbly is bringing me far, far more joy than any recent Simpsons episode has in the last ten years.

https://twitter.com/weirdtwinkie/status/1356446690484441091

https://twitter.com/Robin_E94/status/1356810737914703874

https://twitter.com/TheTeaButt/status/1356777776028778496

https://twitter.com/lazersofa/status/1356919900913213446

IBroughttheFunk fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Feb 5, 2021

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here
Gumbly reference incoming in 8 years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
i can't imagine they would pull the plug at this point. Animation is one of the few completely covid safe ways to make a show, so why wouldn't they keep the new content train running until at least until whenever the pandemic is over