Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the coolest, raddest demon lady in all the land?
This poll is closed.
Bowsette 62 17.22%
Bowsette 40 11.11%
Bowsette 44 12.22%
Bowsette 39 10.83%
Bowsette 47 13.06%
128 35.56%
Total: 195 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Speaking of difficulty, I have game overed more times in Origami King in one session tonight than in most games I played in 2020...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Hard games are like solving a puzzle which I why I really like SMT games, because like we talked about, there's a bunch of solutions to instead of other series where the solution is "level up more." I do actually quit hard games when they're hard in a way that I don't enjoy though, but most of the time I'll pretty much always pick the highest difficulty option given.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yes a Metroidlike requires a contiguous world

It occurred to me the other day that Banjo-Tooie is a Metroid-vania. You gain new abilities that open up new areas, you can go back to older areas and unlock new things, you have a full hub world but also ways to go between areas that don’t include the hub

Banjo-Tooie, the only Metroidvania on the N64

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Cardiovorax posted:

I always love it when you can look at a cat and just know exactly what it is thinking at that moment.

Go on then :v:

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
"Grab me like one of your gamepads"

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
That one's a bit more vague, but my money is on "no, it is time to pay attention to me now, filthy hoo-man."

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

It's actually Thunderbolts and lightning, very very frightening me

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
In my defense, I'm not a cat whisperer, I just love the really obvious "i wanna eat that bird" expression on Kirby up there. :v:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Please accept this PS5 x Cat hybrid as payment

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
please pet that cat

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Cats are ok

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I very much love my three cats, despite one of them using my face to practice head butting in the middle of gaming.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I’ve done this before, but, I must express my pet opinions, or I’ll die

Dogs

Cats

Rodents
Turtles
Birds
Fish
Snakes
Other
Alligators
Spiders

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

My friend and I just got done with playing a session of a jrpg maker game called Omori and even though we're apparently still in the prologue, it's been really charming so far. The art style is good, and is surprisingly high quality at places, and the main party won over my affection early on. It's more lighthearted and silly than I expected from what was on the Steam Store page, but I'm excited to keep playing it.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

lets hang out posted:

i just finished smt3 on hard mode and spent the first third of the game getting randomly sent back to the title screen by bad dice rolls. it happened less often after that but sometimes beelzebub just decides to do his almighty attack twice and whoops it hits for more than half everyone's hp both times

nocturne hard mode feels like its almost a joke put in there to spite people, because normal is already difficult. hard mode is just dice rolls like u said.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
VG post the cats

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
I had a dream that I had decided I was gonna post more in this thread this month but then I opened the thread and all the posts were people posting onomatopoeia of their favorite sounds from video games.

Pages and pages of people going like:

quote:

ZZZZZZZZZXXXXTCH CRASH! Wom wom wom eeeeeeee, CHUNK!

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Jay Rust posted:

I’ve done this before, but, I must express my pet opinions, or I’ll die

Dogs

Cats

Rodents
Turtles
Birds
Fish
Snakes
Other
Alligators
Spiders

I read "Other" as "Otter" and was ready to go off on this horrible otter slander

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Gah-huh!

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
BWEboooooh

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Rarity posted:

VG post the cats

Here is Berry, all curled up and happy even if her fur makes it look otherwise. :)

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Macaluso posted:

BWEboooooh

Rarity posted:

Gah-huh!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYpa1RbOmcE

VideoGames posted:

Here is Berry, all curled up and happy even if her fur makes it look otherwise. :)

She is... berry cute :frogc00l:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Judgement is getting a PS5 version, but you don't get an upgrade if you own the PS4 copy :argh:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Infinitum posted:

Judgement is getting a PS5 version, but you don't get an upgrade if you own the PS4 copy :argh:

No word on PC either by the sounds of it. :(

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Looper posted:

that speedrun sounds miserable! and just makes me even less interested in jrpg hard modes outside of fire emblem

There are definitely JRPGs that can do difficulty well, but as much as I love Dragon Quest, it's not one of them. That's why I don't recommend any of the Draconian Quest modifiers except maybe the "don't let me overlevel" one. They either arbitrarily turn up enemy stats or arbitrarily turn down yours and the game's systems generally don't give you the kind of power over the flow of battle to overcome big number differences the way, say, an SMT or even Persona game does.

Hell, even the "don't let me overlevel" modifier is just arbitrarily limiting your stats by reducing the EXP you get from enemies if you're higher level than they are, but that one's fairly subtle and is mostly there for people who like to explore a lot but don't want to accidentally level so high that nothing's even vaguely a challenge anymore.

Dragon Quest XI on its default mode is a fairly easy game for most of its playtime and that's okay

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

stev posted:

No word on PC either by the sounds of it. :(

Google paid for Stadia exclusivity.

Maybe. It makes more sense there's no PC version because Google paid SEGA money to delay a PC release than if such a transaction didn't happen.

And really if we can funnel money from Google into SEGA, then isn't that money going to a better place ultimately? That money could fund a new Altered Beast.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

aWOOOOOOga

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

VideoGames posted:

Rub that belly

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

I said come in! posted:

Rub that belly

Hahah, amazingly only I am allowed to do that kind of thing.

She gets very mad if Lady VG tries to touch her for longer than 2 seconds.

She is a very angry and feisty cat but for some weird reason, wants to be around me constantly and walks around the house by my feet when I do. She will see me off in the mornings and be waiting on the window for when I arrive. Plus she will come and stand with her front paws on my legs or arm and stare at me. She does not want to be stroked, just to stare at me. Whichever room I am in, she is also there somewhere.

She is very odd and I love her very much :D

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

VideoGames posted:

Hahah, amazingly only I am allowed to do that kind of thing.

She gets very mad if Lady VG tries to touch her for longer than 2 seconds.

She is a very angry and feisty cat but for some weird reason, wants to be around me constantly and walks around the house by my feet when I do. She will see me off in the mornings and be waiting on the window for when I arrive. Plus she will come and stand with her front paws on my legs or arm and stare at me. She does not want to be stroked, just to stare at me. Whichever room I am in, she is also there somewhere.

She is very odd and I love her very much :D

She is observing you so she can learn your traits, kill you and assume your life. Do not trust her.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Rarity posted:

She is observing you so she can learn your traits, kill you and assume your life. Do not trust her.

We don't even know if the cat is posting as VG right now

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

We don't even know if the cat is posting as VG right now

Oh no we may already be too late :tinfoil:

VG, say something only a human would say

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Rarity posted:

:aaaaa:

This explains why if I talk to her she responds. She is trying to mimic my words!

(She does actually chirrup whenever I speak directly to her. I have 'conversations' and they make Lady VG laugh. :3: We were the fourth family to take her in when she was 5 months old so I think that is why she is so solitary. She does not like our other two cats at all and is happiest when I am at my desk and she is sat between my arms where no one else is around.)

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

VideoGames posted:

:aaaaa:

This explains why if I talk to her she responds. She is trying to mimic my words!

(She does actually chirrup whenever I speak directly to her. I have 'conversations' and they make Lady VG laugh. :3: We were the fourth family to take her in when she was 5 months old so I think that is why she is so solitary. She does not like our other two cats at all and is happiest when I am at my desk and she is sat between my arms where no one else is around.)

VG would you like some catnip? :thunkher:

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Speaking of difficulty, I have game overed more times in Origami King in one session tonight than in most games I played in 2020...

I have a stupid brain that can't do spatial reasoning, so I equipped some of the extra defense items and threw coins at Toads for help all the time.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

How do we know VideoGames isn't already dead? Hello VideoGames cat, I wish you didn't kill our favorite mod, but welcome!

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

This also reminds me of why I got really mad at Cold Steel after everyone kept telling me the writing was amazing. In the start of the game a character is trying to hide her name and she goes "I'm uhhhh....Alice R. I'm from [some town]" and the next line is "Oh, [some town]! The Reinford family runs that town! They're a famous noble family who run a military industrial complex" and I was like man I hope this is some kind of red herring because if her last name just ends up being Reinford this is really dumb and everyone tried to defend the scene as if Alice was a real person who gave a bad fake name under pressure as if this were real life and not a video game written by writers and I think that was the maddest I've ever been at someone's opinions online and I think from there there was just no chance of me liking that game
This ruled tho

Lavatein
May 5, 2009
January was not as productive as I had hoped it would be. In the last 2.5 weeks I only beat 2 games. Trails in the Sky FC I actually picked back up halfway through after after not playing it for a couple of years - which is IMO way easier to do than people think. Anyway, that game is a nightmare to hundo as there are absurd missables all over the place, like a book that you can only get by finding a hidden NPC during a very brief stealth section in an area that there's no reason to go to. And you gotta get all these books in order to get the ultimate weapon. The whole game is spent glued to guides and getting stressed because you might have missed something.

The other game was actually the 8 games of Sokpop Season 2. They were all kind of bad...

Gaming goals for February: It's a short month so the only goal I'm going to set for myself is getting all the achievements in Dynasty Warriors 8 XL

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

Kerrzhe posted:

i feel the exact opposite... hard games stress me out and i feel like poo poo when i fail and have to start over or whatever :smith:

in other news i was watching some videos about cockatoos solving puzzles for seed and kirby was also watching very closely

Kirby looks a lot like my cat, Ghibli. And you and I both have the Alpha plushie :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Trials of Mana Remake has been the only new game I've played in 2021 so far, already falling off my 2020 pace...