Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
Without spending 10 loving grand how could I get something like those amazing blue VU meters from McIntosh? No amp, just an empty rack mount shell with a cool VU meter, that would be awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Techmoan has you covered.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X71RTSegUL4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U05WbbE5vrM

Regarding subs, they all just end up summing everything to mono anyway, so it shouldn't matter which input you use. LFE inputs bypass any internal crossovers, but that's the only difference.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Ak Gara posted:

Without spending 10 loving grand how could I get something like those amazing blue VU meters from McIntosh? No amp, just an empty rack mount shell with a cool VU meter, that would be awesome.

https://youtu.be/rqFNrWEImEA

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
edit: just saw the PC speakers thread, so I've put my post there!

The Grumbles fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Jan 29, 2021

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Looks great but still quite expensive due to it having a working amp.

But I can simulate it with Foobar! I can use my media rack's laptop.

https://audio-file.org/2015/11/07/foobar-default-user-interface-installing-analog-vu-meters/
https://audio-file.org/foobar2000-vu-meter-skins-gallery/

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I bought some £3 analogue voltage meters from China so I could view what my PA subs were doing and never actually got around to making a plate to install them in the rack.

This kinda thing

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

I thought about that but don't you also need some circuit boards too? Such as in the video KozmoNaut posted?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X71RTSegUL4&t=104s

KozmoNaut posted:

Techmoan has you covered.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X71RTSegUL4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U05WbbE5vrM

Regarding subs, they all just end up summing everything to mono anyway, so it shouldn't matter which input you use. LFE inputs bypass any internal crossovers, but that's the only difference.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Ak Gara posted:

That second picture is an MPM4000 and is literally just a meter. When it was available new, it sold for $400, but now prices are up a little on ebay. Also, it was designed to go into a car because of course it was, but you could still hook it up to a home stereo if you wired up 12v power for it. Max input is 200w.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MCINTOSH-MPM4000/233865083835?hash=item367371fbbb:g:MDsAAOSwzJZf0M~k
https://www.ebay.com/itm/REFURBISHE...4IAAOSw3~df3OWD

It's still stupidly expensive for what it is, but it's legit McIntosh and not 10 grand.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Ak Gara posted:

I thought about that but don't you also need some circuit boards too?

For a 'proper' VU meter, yeah. I just wanted to measure the voltage right out of the back of the power amp though. I didn't actually get round to testing it but in theory it would do what I wanted.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

SubjectVerbObject posted:

Piggybacking on some of the subwoofer talk. I am looking to spend around 500$ and there are some space and WAF issues. The problem I am having is it will be in the living room, and the entire first flow is open, with a few walls. We are not really wanting earth shaking base and we have neighbors, so having multiple subs or some 15" behemoth is not what we want. Would something like the SVS PB-1000 work? From what I see it is small for the space. Does that impact audio quality? This would be for home theater.

The other issues is speedwoofers may be delayed until March, Rythmik and HSU systems until sometime in February, so that SVS is pretty much the only option if I want something soon.
I have a gloss white Rythmik L12 and it's pretty nice looking as far as subs go but no matter what you're looking at a big block of something. Ported will give you more output in an open room and the PB-1000 is a pretty safe bet but it is pretty chunky.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Ok Comboomer posted:

I listen to a lot of music with heavy panning and R/L bass and my ideal setup is twin subs set up front to extend the bass of the front speakers. I know, I know “but sub bass is so big it’s nondirectional”- you can absolutely perceive directional bass if it’s aggressively panning from side to side, etc. You feel the air move, these trigger directional sensory cues despite not going straight for the ears.

Post up some examples, you're probably hearing the harmonics of the low frequencies which are the ones being batted about the joint and the ones your ears can actually localise.

Dolby worked with Hospital Records on shows incorporating an Atmos setup but I've no idea what became of it. Little video here:
https://youtu.be/lMR5iWG1UI4

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Low bass can definitely be directional, it just takes a lot of it and very careful setup. If you go to a Dolby Cinema [remember movies?] there's a side to side sub sweep in the sizzle reel, it's awesome. Recreating that at home would be a challenge but it's possible. I remember getting a stereo sub demo at a Cambridge Soundworks years and years ago and it was definitely a specific set of tracks for the demo.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I had a question about upgrade path. I just recently upgraded my speakers to KEF LS50 Meta and ordered an RSL Speedwoofer to complement them. I currently have Foobar on my computer as the source to a Monoprice THX DAC/Amp to an old Nakamichi AV10 as the amp. This is all nearfield. So for the next upgrade is it worth upgrading the amp or DAC more? I was thinking about SMSL M400 or RME ADI-2 DAC FS as the DAC and either a older NAD Class A amp like a 2200, 2400 or 2700 or a modern Hypex based amp like a NORD for a power amp. Which is worth upgrading first? How much of an audible difference would each make? Or is it not worth upgrading either?

Yuns fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jan 31, 2021

Deep Thought
Mar 7, 2005
I'm looking to buy a sub-woofer for my Dali Spektor 2s, solely to enhance music. I've googled around and I have seen quite a few recommendations on HiFi forums for the 'B.K. XLS-200'; which is in the $400-$500 price range. There's also its bigger brother the XXLS-400 for $100 more. I think they were released in 2009 and they are still being recommended as an accompaniment sub-woofer for bookshelf speakers in TYOL 2021.

I was wondering if anyone has any other recommendations? I was also wondering if it's worth buying one of those 'automatic sub-woofer equalizer' devices? I've seen one that costs as much as the sub-woofer I mentioned. Seems like manufacturers sell you the sub-woofer to get your appetite wet for an equivalently expensive EQ device and in the end you're down 600 instead of the 300 you limited yourself too. Thanks for any help!

edit: something about my pound symbol the forums don't like. £

Deep Thought fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jan 31, 2021

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

For subwoofer EQ, the SVS AS-EQ1 is a standalone Audyssey MultEQ XT equalizer/room correction device. It's basically the subwoofer EQ section of a good AVR as a standalone device. It can be bought second-hand for not that much cash.

You're still going to need a crossover of some kind, though.

Deep Thought
Mar 7, 2005

KozmoNaut posted:

For subwoofer EQ, the SVS AS-EQ1 is a standalone Audyssey MultEQ XT equalizer/room correction device. It's basically the subwoofer EQ section of a good AVR as a standalone device. It can be bought second-hand for not that much cash.

You're still going to need a crossover of some kind, though.

Oh right. I will watch out for that one, thanks. The sub-woofer and EQ market at this price bracket hasn't changed much in the last ten years it seems.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Spotify question. My dad made a playlist from his vast ripped personal collection of Bruce Springsteen, think many live bootlegs that don't exist on Spotify. I made a local files playlist and I see the playlist on my phone, but none of the songs are there. Do I need to transfer the files over? How does this work?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

qirex posted:

Low bass can definitely be directional, it just takes a lot of it and very careful setup. If you go to a Dolby Cinema [remember movies?] there's a side to side sub sweep in the sizzle reel, it's awesome. Recreating that at home would be a challenge but it's possible. I remember getting a stereo sub demo at a Cambridge Soundworks years and years ago and it was definitely a specific set of tracks for the demo.

I'd be interested in hearing the latter for sure, having to have specifically produced tracks to make use of it though kinda spoils the fun for 99.9% of the rest of your music.

arsegrit
Oct 22, 2004

Deep Thought posted:

I'm looking to buy a sub-woofer for my Dali Spektor 2s, solely to enhance music. I've googled around and I have seen quite a few recommendations on HiFi forums for the 'B.K. XLS-200'; which is in the $400-$500 price range. There's also its bigger brother the XXLS-400 for $100 more. I think they were released in 2009 and they are still being recommended as an accompaniment sub-woofer for bookshelf speakers in TYOL 2021.

No specific woofer recommendations to offer, but I can get behind BK's kit. I have a Monolith+ in my noisy room which does sterling service. They sell their seconds on Ebay, so it's worth looking there too - get more for the same £££. The Monolith+ I bought was discounted due to having a mark on the veneer... which I can't see in full daylight when actively looking for it.

I don't have an auto-equalizer but I do have a MiniDSP, UMIK, and REW. Cost about £200 for the kit, but let me get the low-end sorted better than Audyessy could and greatly simplified integrating a transducer (rumbly sofa!) into the system. If you've got the cash, free time, and the desire to spend it learning how to use the software/endlessly cocking about with graphs, then I can definitely speak for that too. If you're playing tunes from a computer, then you can skip the MiniDSP and use EqualizerAPO which will save some cash.

Deep Thought
Mar 7, 2005

arsegrit posted:

No specific woofer recommendations to offer, but I can get behind BK's kit. I have a Monolith+ in my noisy room which does sterling service. They sell their seconds on Ebay, so it's worth looking there too - get more for the same £££. The Monolith+ I bought was discounted due to having a mark on the veneer... which I can't see in full daylight when actively looking for it.

I don't have an auto-equalizer but I do have a MiniDSP, UMIK, and REW. Cost about £200 for the kit, but let me get the low-end sorted better than Audyessy could and greatly simplified integrating a transducer (rumbly sofa!) into the system. If you've got the cash, free time, and the desire to spend it learning how to use the software/endlessly cocking about with graphs, then I can definitely speak for that too. If you're playing tunes from a computer, then you can skip the MiniDSP and use EqualizerAPO which will save some cash.

Those are good tips, thanks. The Monolith+ is a big 'un. I bet that's some set-up with the sofa.

I'd already seen a few discounted XLS-200 at their eBay store which get a decent £30 reduction but most are down-firing and not the best choice for music or so I've heard. I saw a second hand one go for £100 less than retail, though it was also DF.

Well I think I've got a better knowledge of my options. Probably gonna succumb to buying a XXLS-400 in the same veneer as my Dali's (Why did I have to choose walnut?!), then leave it lying in the middle of the hallway unconnected for weeks as I ponder various Auto EQ vs Manual EQ solutions. The MiniDSP idea seems like a potentially better solution for a similar price to the autoEQ.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Are the M-Audio AV 40 speakers still looked at in high regard? I've had mine for 10 years now and don't really have too much issue with em. Just curious.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don't see them mentioned, I assume since they're out of production. Don't really see much discussion about their replacements either though.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

Are the M-Audio AV 40 speakers still looked at in high regard? I've had mine for 10 years now and don't really have too much issue with em. Just curious.

No. Once upon a time they were a good game/the best game in their tier, but the market has made several moves since then.

M-Audio has always been a budget pro/prosumer gear company first and foremost. Speakers aren’t really their thing—so while other companies have rolled out different types of desktop audio product, M-Audio has mainly released stuff like MIDI keyboards

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Since the Harmony series is apparently discontinued (listed as such on BHPhoto and out of stock everywhere), what are other good universal remote options?

My integrated amp's remote died today. I guess a cap exploded because it literally jumped off the coffee table unprompted.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I've been leaning on my phone more and more because gently caress logitech. CEC allows powering on of everything, so I open the Shield app and voila, I'm ready to go. I have the Onkyo app as well in case I really needed to change inputs but again, CEC usually puts me where I need to be.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The sofabaton U1 is fully programmable and has macros but isn’t a real smart remote like the harmony. A couple people in the TV thread report it working well for them. I believe it’s IR and limited Bluetooth.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

I was directed here from haus o tech support. How do I use my different audio outs as... different audio outs in win8? Speakers + headphones at the same time. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3957729

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Mescal posted:

I was directed here from haus o tech support. How do I use my different audio outs as... different audio outs in win8? Speakers + headphones at the same time. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3957729

If they show up as different sound devices in Windows (this is sometimes an option on certain sound cards) then any applications that are aware of multiple sound cards (games, audio apps, and chat clients mostly) can pick them in their own settings. Any apps not designed for that will just send audio to the default device though and there's not much you can do about those.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

Mescal posted:

Virtual Audio Cable

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Maybe this is too sound-recording specific, but I have a mic connected to a Steinberg UR12 USB audio interface on my mac. If I make a voice recording in stereo, the microphone signal is only in the left channel. Is there an easy way in software I can downmix the stereo mic signal to mono? I tried using the Audio Midi Setup app because I thought you could route and join specific channels but I couldn't figure it out.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Granite Octopus posted:

Maybe this is too sound-recording specific, but I have a mic connected to a Steinberg UR12 USB audio interface on my mac. If I make a voice recording in stereo, the microphone signal is only in the left channel. Is there an easy way in software I can downmix the stereo mic signal to mono? I tried using the Audio Midi Setup app because I thought you could route and join specific channels but I couldn't figure it out.

Get yourself a copy of the free (and wonderful) Audacity. https://www.audacityteam.org
Load up the file.
Highlight the recording entirely (ctrl-a) or whichever specific bit you want.
Click 'Tracks' in the bar at the top and then highlight Mix. The first option on that pop up is 'Mix stereo down to mono'.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Get yourself a copy of the free (and wonderful) Audacity. https://www.audacityteam.org
Load up the file.
Highlight the recording entirely (ctrl-a) or whichever specific bit you want.
Click 'Tracks' in the bar at the top and then highlight Mix. The first option on that pop up is 'Mix stereo down to mono'.

Ah sorry I meant live, in case im using some remote meeting software that does stereo audio. I assume most don't but I wouldn't want to find out at the start of a call.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

SubjectVerbObject posted:

Having multiple subs would be a no go due to price unless I went down in quality. Additionally it would be hard to find a place for a second one, and connect a wire to it. Hardwood floors with not a lot of furniture against the walls.

Maybe I am missing something here. Do I go from the size of the living room, or the size of the unrestricted airflow from the sub? The living room would be about 12x15, but the space is living room, dining, kitchen in a line for around 12x30, and then there are several other hallway connected spaces. The first floor of the house, minus the rooms with doors, is about 600 square feet. The living room does sit in its own 3 sided rectangle.

I guess I am trying to figure out if spending the 500$ would be wasted and I need to save up and get 2 to see any improvement. Basically do I get Disney + now and watch the Mandalorian with one sub, or wait 6 months?

And the Monoprice Monolith 10 is out of stock.

Following up on this. Got the SVS PB-1000. It was bigger than it looked but we made it work. At first it did not sound that good but then we re-ran the Audyssey setup and it does pretty well. I re-watched Master and Commander after it was set up and you can feel the cannon even 30 feet away .

Thanks for the help.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Does anyone have suggestions for a decent quality microphone? I increasingly have to record some presentations/lectures, and my laptop mic is terrible/my usual solution of a gaming headset does not look super professional/isn't amazing either. It basically just needs to do a good job recording clear audio of me talking (ideally without having to be crazy close to it? I'm not sure what the normal is for this).

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

If your laptop has a typical 3.5mm mic jack a Shure MVL or a Rode Smartlav+ lapel/lavalier mic would be perfect if you want the invisible mic look. There's USB ones around but they all seem to be unknown Chinese brands. Cheap though if you want to experiment.

The desktop mics all ideally need to be close to your mouth to work best. And a boundary mic would probably pick up absolutely every noise possible.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Feb 11, 2021

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I feel so stupid asking this. Is there any such thing as rip protection on audio CDs? I still buy them but I just had both Traveling Wilburys CDs come from amazon and volume 1 just will not rip, tried several PCs. Here I am now trying to find a drat torrent. This is gonna be like the fiasco with my Dark Souls 2 preorder which was the final nail in the physical game coffin for me.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

codo27 posted:

I feel so stupid asking this. Is there any such thing as rip protection on audio CDs? I still buy them but I just had both Traveling Wilburys CDs come from amazon and volume 1 just will not rip, tried several PCs. Here I am now trying to find a drat torrent. This is gonna be like the fiasco with my Dark Souls 2 preorder which was the final nail in the physical game coffin for me.

Some CDs have it, yes. Pretty rare though, in my experience.

fralbjabar
Jan 26, 2007
I am a meat popscicle.
It exists but I was under the impression it was generally not more than a minor irritation to ripping. What software are you using for ripping?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I usually use EAC. Tried WMP as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I work in education tech and have been stumped by a few language CDs I was handed to try and rip. I couldn't find anything at all that would rip them so I ended up playing them and recording them internally via the soundcard.

To this day I still don't know what sort of copy protection they use, it's not common.