Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
Little weird to just see them go "The Titans are super racist" for like 30 pages but what else are you gonna do with that setup. A lot of weird retconning to make them more racist on top of it when it's not like you need help to point out racism in older comics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

So I watched the ComicPOP Back Issues episode about Dark Nights Metal wherein Sal refers to the Dark Batmen as basically action figures with cool designs, and you know what? The actual real action figures ARE cool designs and I’ve been collecting them all. Are there actual comic book backstories for them, and are they collected anywhere?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Xenomrph posted:

So I watched the ComicPOP Back Issues episode about Dark Nights Metal wherein Sal refers to the Dark Batmen as basically action figures with cool designs, and you know what? The actual real action figures ARE cool designs and I’ve been collecting them all. Are there actual comic book backstories for them, and are they collected anywhere?

Dark Nights Metal. Look up a reading order because the trades collect them a little weirdly IIRC.

Long story short, they're all from different, horrible alternate universes where Batman steals the powers of a different Justice League member. Plus one is a jokerized Batman.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jan 27, 2021

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Skwirl posted:

Dark Nights Metal. Look up a reading order because the trades collect them a little weirdly IIRC.

Long story short, they're all from different, horrible alternate universes where Batman steals the powers of a different Justice League member. Plus one is a jokerized Batman.

The Wild Hunt would all be great JLA villains so it is a huge bummer that Joker Batman is the one who stuck around.

Honestly, just read the trade that collects the one shots about them and skip everything else.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

At some point it occurred to me that the spikes on the Batman Who Laughs’ crown must be hollow so there’s space left for him to put his nose and now I can’t stop thinking about that every time he shows up

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Lord_Hambrose posted:

The Wild Hunt would all be great JLA villains so it is a huge bummer that Joker Batman is the one who stuck around.

Honestly, just read the trade that collects the one shots about them and skip everything else.

Do you know which trade it is?

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Xenomrph posted:

Do you know which trade it is?

Dark Knights Metal Dark Knights Rising

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Thank you kind sir!

I just ordered it on Amazon, if I don’t love it I’m holding you personally responsible. :colbert:

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Nobody said they were good.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Too fuckin’ bad, Lord_Hambrose’s neck is now on the line. :commissar:

Just think, if you’d told me which trade to buy, it could have been you under Damocles’ sword! You dodged a bullet! Skwirl was smart enough to give a vague answer, too!

:unsmigghh:

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Well if you like toys and you like big dumb comics being fully aware that they are big dumb comics then you should be good to go with metal.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Xenomrph posted:

Too fuckin’ bad, Lord_Hambrose’s neck is now on the line. :commissar:

Just think, if you’d told me which trade to buy, it could have been you under Damocles’ sword! You dodged a bullet! Skwirl was smart enough to give a vague answer, too!

:unsmigghh:

Based on what I remember from you talking about Aliens comics from probably a couple years ago, you'll be fine.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Skwirl posted:

Based on what I remember from you talking about Aliens comics from probably a couple years ago, you'll be fine.

Whoa hey there are some trash Aliens comics, but there are also cool and good Aliens comics

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

Whoa hey there are some trash Aliens comics, but there are also cool and good Aliens comics

I didn't say you liked them all i just remember you liking some of the more insane ones.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Guilty as charged!

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Xenomrph posted:

Thank you kind sir!

I just ordered it on Amazon, if I don’t love it I’m holding you personally responsible. :colbert:

:rip:

Ezis
Oct 10, 2001

Skwirl posted:

I didn't say you liked them all i just remember you liking some of the more insane ones.

If there is one thing I've learned after two decades on this forum, it's that Dark Knights Metal is right up Xenomrph's alley.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I will take that as a compliment! :cheers:

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Xenomrph posted:

I will take that as a compliment! :cheers:

I look forward to your review. I think you'll like it

l33tfuzzbox
Apr 3, 2009

Madkal posted:

I look forward to your review. I think you'll like it

I tend to like the same things as xeno, and the dark bats origin stories were my favorite part of metal.

Death metal....im very eh on. But the only thing from DC i loved lately was harleen, and mostly bc it got my fiancee to read her first comics.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

I just read Death Metal: Secret origin, which is basically about Superboy Prime and, well, it is what I wanted. Poor dude had been the entire DCU's laughingstock for decades, and a way for the editors to make fun of fanboys. Giving him a chance to live his own life for once? That's enough for me. I'm okay if he never shows up again.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Siegkrow posted:

I just read Death Metal: Secret origin, which is basically about Superboy Prime and, well, it is what I wanted. Poor dude had been the entire DCU's laughingstock for decades, and a way for the editors to make fun of fanboys. Giving him a chance to live his own life for once? That's enough for me. I'm okay if he never shows up again.

He definitely will show up again, but I hope they keep what was done to give him a good end and not undo it or make him another punching bag.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Xelkelvos posted:

He definitely will show up again, but I hope they keep what was done to give him a good end and not undo it or make him another punching bag.
In the Life Crisis of 2023 (where ALL the lives the DCU ever lived collide!) he'll come back as a tragic figure who killed his wife upon the consummation of their marriage.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Swamp Thing, Wonder Woman, Outsiders, Arkham Nights were all good. Harley Quinn was fine. The Metropolis stuff was meh though. Same with Batman.

Far Sector is hitting its climax though and Truth and Justice is onto its next arc with Superman/Clark Kent dealing with racial injustice in incarceration including Clark doing his own chud safari in Metropolis.

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Feb 2, 2021

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Far Sector is exactly what I want from a GL comic, it's a cop story but also weird and alien without needing LSD like Morrison's recent run.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Punch her.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

BrianWilly posted:

Punch her.

Superman goes after Q cause he thinks it's a super villain mind controlling normal people and is shocked at what he discovers.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Friends, I need some help settling a discussion I'm having with a friend. Is "bastich" (as in Lobo: Portrait of a Bastich) pronounced:

[bæˈstiːʃ] (beh-steesh)

OR

[bæˈstɪtʃ] (beh-stitch)

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Vince MechMahon posted:

Superman goes after Q cause he thinks it's a super villain mind controlling normal people and is shocked at what he discovers.

Clark Kent then writes an impassioned opinion piece about how some were tricked or misled due to desperation for a solution to their problems or funneled in due to their own hate and biases and launders his discovery of the identity of Q through his own wife's story and investigation.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Xelkelvos posted:

Swamp Thing, Wonder Woman, Outsiders, Arkham Nights were all good. Harley Quinn was fine. The Metropolis stuff was meh though. Same with Batman.

Far Sector is hitting its climax though and Truth and Justice is onto its next arc with Superman/Clark Kent dealing with racial injustice in incarceration including Clark doing his own chud safari in Metropolis.

Is the punchline "Why did you list the same thing three times?".

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

JordanKai posted:

Friends, I need some help settling a discussion I'm having with a friend. Is "bastich" (as in Lobo: Portrait of a Bastich) pronounced:

[bæˈstiːʃ] (beh-steesh)

OR

[bæˈstɪtʃ] (beh-stitch)
It's supposed to be a portmanteau of "bastard" and "bitch" so I assumed it was "baa-stich"

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

JordanKai posted:

[bæˈstiːʃ] (beh-steesh)

OR

[bæˈstɪtʃ] (beh-stitch)

I always pronounced it "bust-itch"

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Edge & Christian posted:

It's supposed to be a portmanteau of "bastard" and "bitch" so I assumed it was "baa-stich"

I hate that! But he gave the same explanation so it must be true. :(

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Baa-stitch. Bastard and stitch combined.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

JordanKai posted:

I hate that! But he gave the same explanation so it must be true. :(

I'm pretty sure that Brad Garrett somehow got away with pronouncing it like that on the DCAU shows.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I always went with 'bast-itch' personally, I felt with the right inflection it fit the mouth feel of 'bastard' very well.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I read all of Dark Knights Metal, switching between 4 trades as I went because money>>>>>putting the story together coherently, and kinda hated it. It's everything I assumed current comics were when I started reading again. I see what Snyder was going for and how he...set it up but man he disappeared up his rear end at times with this. The Batmen were literal nothing characters. Just goons with the most generic and predicable backstories.

I thought The Batman That Laughs (God I hate that name) was gonna be some huge secret surprise but nope he's exactly what II thought he was down to the origin. The big baddie didn't even do poo poo. What a wet fart. The worst Power Ranger villians have more presence.

Everything about the metals was asinine and overthought.

The finale was utter trash and deus ex machinas out the rear end every issue and somehow the villian are just SO smart until the very end when they somehow didn't think the one thing I waiting the whole series to happen finally happened. Just ugh all around. Are all crisis focused one character like this? It might as well have been called "Batmen Of Infinite Earths:Batman is the key to life".

RBX fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Feb 3, 2021

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

RBX posted:

I read all of Dark Knights Metal, switching between 4 trades as I went because money>>>>>putting the story together coherently, and kinda hated it. It's everything I assumed current comics were when I started reading again. I see what Snyder was going for and how he...set it up but man he disappeared up his rear end at times with this. The Batmen were literal nothing characters. Just goons with the most generic and predicable backstories.

I thought The Batman That Laughs (God I hate that name) was gonna be some huge secret surprise but nope he's exactly what II thought he was down to the origin. The big baddie didn't even do poo poo. What a wet fart. The worst Power Ranger villians have more presence.

Everything about the metals was asinine and overthought.

The finale was utter trash and deus ex machinas out the rear end every issue and somehow the villian are just SO smart until the very end when they somehow didn't think the one thing I waiting the whole series to happen finally happened. Just ugh all around. Are all crisis focused one character like this? It might as well have been called "Batmen Of Infinite Earths:Batman is the key to life".

Just wait till you try Death Metal. It's arguably worse.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
the evil batmen were cool. decent issues, nice to look at (cool, expensive figurines). the joker fight at the end was nice too. that's about it. rest was typical crossover tripe

dark multiverse is a fun concept though

Quotey fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Feb 3, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I’m reading this and it’s pretty neat! I’m up to the Green Lantern one and I’m digging it. Congratulations, you get to live! :cheers:

My one question at this point is, is Earth 0 the “main” Earth? I’m seeing these evil Batmen show up and wreck characters’ poo poo and I don’t know if they’re the “main” versions of these characters or just some randos that the Batmen are murdering in their journeys through the multiverse or whatever.