Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

herculon posted:

Whatever I said last time, I've changed my mind and it's the other one.

bold move

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!
It's world imo but i respect 3 likers.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
World isn't even the best Mario game on the SNES. Meanwhile, 3 is in the conversation for best video game ever made.

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!
I no longer respect 3 likers.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
world has more levels, bigger levels, far better overworld not to mention the visual/sound upgrade. no contest

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

American McGay posted:

World isn't even the best Mario game on the SNES. Meanwhile, 3 is in the conversation for best video game ever made.

Well sure, it's no Mario's Time Machine.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Fungah! posted:

mario 3 without question but world is still a solid god-tier

The thinking man's opinion.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Bigger isn't always better.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

mycophobia posted:

world has more levels, bigger levels, far better overworld not to mention the visual/sound upgrade. no contest

3 has more variety of levels and objects along with the overworld minigames and IMO a better art style. 3 for me for sure

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
my world opinions would rock the imp zone to its very core

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
yoshi rules in smw. all the different colors

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I love both a lot but World is the best for me.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

:staredog:

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
super mario bros. 3 and super mario world are fundamentally the same game perfected under two opposite philosophies towards player experience: world wants you to explore and enjoy it, 3 wants you to get stronger and defeat it

your preference indicates which philosophy you respond to more, and hence who you are as a person. this is why there can never be peace

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Cubone posted:

super mario bros. 3 and super mario world are fundamentally the same game perfected under two opposite philosophies towards player experience: world wants you to explore and enjoy it, 3 wants you to get stronger and defeat it

3, like every mario game except loss levels, is easy as poo poo though

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

3 doesnt have ghost houses so its scientifically better no matter how you slice it

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

trying to jack off posted:

3 doesnt have ghost houses so its scientifically better no matter how you slice it

This.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
ghost house levels are cool wtf!!!!!!!!!

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Cubone posted:

your preference indicates which philosophy you respond to more, and hence who you are as a person. this is why there can never be peace

:stare:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Cubone posted:

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Lol

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

lol

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

mycophobia posted:

3, like every mario game except loss levels, is easy as poo poo though

lost levels is my favorite. so epic when you beat 8-4 and get the surprise

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

3 has better level design. Too many World stages are just long and flat.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

3 has more fun challenges than world. even as a kid, the only hard levels in world are like... tubular and that fortress in world 8 with the fast moving spike pillars. they're both great games, though, and world is easier to sit through and clear all the exits in an afternoon.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

3 has more variety for sure. The stages are so short and they’re always mixing things up

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I think 3 also has better music but world's is good and it has the yoshi drums

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I really like that every single stage music in SMW is the same basic melody in different arrangements

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

It's 3 your honor, see exhibit A *points to giant land* I rest my case!

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

World feels better to run around in, though 3 also feels great too.

I don't like the way 1, 3, or Lost Levels look in the All Star collection but 2 looks better than the original.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I actually really like the All-Stars redesign of 3 because they kept all the sprites exactly the same but added more color. 2 is the biggest improvement overall though

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

I just finished my first ever play of Odyssey, fuckin love that game. I’ve never replayed 64 but nostalgically 64 is like the platonic ideal of a perfect game to me, and until I played odyssey I thought it was totally untouchable. I really love how big both games feel, and imo the physics and camera of odyssey are just so buttery. I got to 650 or so moons and probably not gonna do too much more than that for the time being, it was all pretty stress free. It was the perfect game for getting back into gaming as an adult after a 15 year hiatus

I started played Galaxy for the first time ever too, only about 25 stars in so far. I’m still warming up to it, I think I might just prefer the bigger open worlds, galaxy feels very linear so far

3 and World are both just A+ games. I like 3 more just because of nostalgia and familiarity tbh

Lmfao

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009
it's really good. i got up to the final area and it is some BS tho. while the rest of the game was chill and fun to play like you said (minus a few annoying moons), the last part is a long stretch of instant death pit challenges with no checkpoints. idk if i'll 100% it

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
i didnt figure out how to dive in odyssey until dark side of the moon. one of my biggest gaming shames

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009
tbf the controls are crap. that's my biggest issue with the game. 4 buttons with duplicated functions so you have to do context sensitive commands that don't work half the time. AND several motion controller only actions plus a few non-motion alternatives that aren't even listed in the action guide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Squeezy Farm posted:

tbf the controls are crap. that's my biggest issue with the game. 4 buttons with duplicated functions so you have to do context sensitive commands that don't work half the time. AND several motion controller only actions plus a few non-motion alternatives that aren't even listed in the action guide.

what? no, dummy