Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

th3t00t posted:

https://twitter.com/PR_NHL/status/1356624173024620545
https://twitter.com/BuffaloVogl/status/1356628871538479105?s=20
https://nhl.nbcsports.com/2021/02/02/devils-forced-to-postpone-three-games-because-of-covid/

Devils had multiple Covid positive players saturday/sunday and were allowed to play the Sabres anyway. They now have 10 players/personnel out. NHL is a clown show, there's no way the decisions to allow the NJ/Buff games to proceed on sat/sun were made above board.

Same ice cream different flavor from the NHL. Vegas' entire coaching staff was quarantined when they played the Blues and then oops, next game is PPD because a bunch of Knights have it. Kind of shocked the Blues didn't catch it (everyone already caught it before the Bubble last year)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Zodijackylite posted:

I do like how the Rangers put this behind them and came back to win a game.

The third pairing seems to be cursed, though. Miller earned his spot in the top four, alongside Trouba and the Lindgren-Fox pairing. Everyone else is dropping like flies. Johnson is injured, DeAngelo has been fired into the sun, and Smith got knocked out last night and it looked pretty bad.

*stares in Libor Hajek*

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Seems like pretty good odds this season doesn't get finished, eh

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I mean, if common sense were a factor, sure, but: It cannot be overstated how badly the MLB hosed things up every step of the way and they still finished a season. Money and sheer stupidity will win out in the end.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIČRE IN ME
I'm not sure we have any real idea how many of these "placed in the COVID protocol" are actual infections and how many are just abundance of caution situations where a test is inconclusive or some contact tracing check or someone gets a sore throat for a day or two but tests negative etc etc.

The more careful the league is the more "placed in COVID protocol" situations we're going to have.

Re: DeAngelo again, can anyone source claims about him making racist comments? Considering his politics and such I'm completely sure he's a racist and wouldn't be surprised if he's constantly making GBS threads on BLM and saying stuff like "systemic racism doesn't exist" but I'm not sure how much people are just inferring that versus he's said things outright that we have sources to. Basically everything I've heard is the stuff he was suspended for in juniors wasn't racist comments but people seem to have taken that and assumed it was. E: I'm curious and looking for sources on something that people seem to be taking as fact, I'm not disputing he's a dumb piece of poo poo who is probably racist

I don't care if DeAngelo ever plays hockey again and am happy he's basically gone now but this whole situation feels super weird to me with people trying as hard as they can to make it into something between him and Miller. It feels super confirmation bias-y where people will believe what they want to believe and cherry pick their information and dismiss anything else as lies. Miller himself could say otherwise and people wouldn't believe him at this point.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

James Neal is being benched for Alex Chiasson a game after Neal scored two goals and a day after Chiasson was waived.

Also the Oilers are starting 7D so Bouchard can play but are not playing Caleb Jones who is clearly better than Russell or Lagesson or Koekkoek.

The Oilers have broken Dave Tippett's brain.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Constantly making GBS threads on a movement that's begging systemic racism to stop killing members of their community and denying the existence of systemic racism is super racist. Hth.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Toaster Beef posted:

I mean, if common sense were a factor, sure, but: It cannot be overstated how badly the MLB hosed things up every step of the way and they still finished a season. Money and sheer stupidity will win out in the end.

Well to hear Bettman tell it there's no money in it, he's already claimed the league is gonna lose a billion dollars doing this. They're playing hockey just out of the goodness of their hearts.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Cocaine Bear posted:

Constantly making GBS threads on a movement that's begging systemic racism to stop killing members of their community and denying the existence of systemic racism is super racist. Hth.

Yes.

I hate how in this day and age of the Internet any comment or request has to be spelled out in some kind of explicitly detailed form letter and you're still likely to get a low effort response in return that doesn't answer any of the questions you asked.

I'm not disputing anything about DeAngelo, I'm asking for information. We've had some 2nd hand reports about his comments and we can infer a whole lot based on his politics but I'm wondering if he has actually said any of that stuff out in the open for no other reason than I want to know.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
From what I’ve seen, no there is no concrete public evidence of beef between Tony D and Miller. Everything is speculation rooted in the fact that Tony D is a hardcore racist chud and Miller is a black BLM-supporter.

Even as far as unconfirmed rumors go, there is only:

- The puck thing, which JD and Miller’s agent both say is 100% false. (Not saying I believe that there’s nothing to it, but that’s what they say.)

- The opening night thing, where Miller broke from the pattern so as not to stand next to Tony. This could be something or could be nothing.

- The rumor that Miller was the one that broke up the Georgiev/Tony fight. This is very unclear. And even if he did, it doesn’t mean that there’s bad blood, it could just mean that he was the closest guy to the scuffle.

There’s definitely more to the TonyD situation than what we’re being told, but it doesn’t necessarily involve Miller at all.

OldSenileGuy fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Feb 2, 2021

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Google his name + tweets then look at some pictures. Also, if someone's a trump supporter, especially openly online, they're a loving racist. I don't care if they help out at the homeless shelter on the weekend or are a great dad, supporting Nazi poo poo makes them racist and worthy of wholesale dismissal by anyone with a brain or any level of empathy.

Apologies if I'm way off the mark but your posts read like "oh, I'm just asking questions, Where's the hard proof etc." and come off as disingenuous. I don't think that's what you're doing, but you don't have to be a professional internet detective to google his name and see the awful poo poo he's said and supported.

E- I'm not trying to attack you. If you're looking for details on a specific incident we don't have those and maybe never will. If you're looking for info on him being a chud piece of poo poo racist, it isn't exactly hard to find.

Cocaine Bear fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Feb 2, 2021

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

I have it on good authority that Tony D saw a box of uncle Ben rice on top of the net and stopped playing defense when Crosby scored in OT the other night.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

which superstar players are dying of covid to get the NHL to actually cancel this season? sid, mcdavid, and ovi all drop dead within a week and the league is probably doing something along the lines of "ahhhh... poo poo folks, we might have to stop this thing huh. might have to take a whole.... 10 days off I'd say. that sound right to you fellas?"

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Levitate posted:

Yes.

I hate how in this day and age of the Internet any comment or request has to be spelled out in some kind of explicitly detailed form letter and you're still likely to get a low effort response in return that doesn't answer any of the questions you asked.

I'm not disputing anything about DeAngelo, I'm asking for information. We've had some 2nd hand reports about his comments and we can infer a whole lot based on his politics but I'm wondering if he has actually said any of that stuff out in the open for no other reason than I want to know.

Sarnia's Anthony DeAngelo suspended for slur directed at teammate. To be clear, this happened twice.

https://twitter.com/DrewMacFarlane/status/1267657558350856192

glynnenstein fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Feb 2, 2021

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Cocaine Bear posted:

Google his name + tweets then look at some pictures. Also, if someone's a trump supporter, especially openly online, they're a loving racist. I don't care if you help out at the homeless shelter on the weekend or are a great dad, supporting Nazi poo poo makes you racist and worthy of wholesale dismissal by anyone with a brain or any level of empathy.

Apologies if I'm way off the mark but your posts read like "oh, I'm just asking questions, Where's the hard proof etc." and come off as disingenuous. I don't think that's what you're doing, but you don't have to be a professional internet detective to google his name and see the awful poo poo he's said and supported.

E- I'm not trying to attack you. If you're looking for details on a specific incident we don't have those and maybe never will. If you're looking for info on him being a chud piece of poo poo racist, it isn't exactly hard to find.

People can find a lot of things on the internet but sometimes we choose to ask about them here, because we are having a discussion together. I am not a fan of the "why don't you just google that" attitude.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

I legit can't remember the last time I've been this happy someone is off the team I root for.

Last one I can remember was when Sather banished Redden to Hartford but even then it was just based on his lovely play not him being a lovely person.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Cocaine Bear posted:

I know he's a chud piece of poo poo. I've tried to make that clear that I'm not trying to defend him. It's been frustrating that he was on the team to begin with and made more annoying by the fact that he was legit good at being an offense minded defenseman last year. I'm not sad he's gone, I won't be sad if he never plays in the NHL again. I think it's pretty clear that anyone who supports Trump/Republican policies is outright supporting racist policies and that makes them racist (and for some reason some people dont' seem to get that you can be racist without going around shouting slurs at everyone all the time and being a outright nazi).

My understanding is that the suspensions in juniors were more likely for calling teammates homophobic names, I believe people have looked back over those rosters and they were all white players at the time (though I guess that doesn't stop an idiot from calling other white people the N word). But that's kinda what I was asking about, whether there has been any real clarity on what happened there versus people trying to connect the dots.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I reckon we're not gonna hear the full harsh truth until he's well and truly gone from the league. Right now the Rangers/org is still trying to cut ties with him but don't want to open up grounds for him to sue them for poisoning his career prospects by calling him a racist or anything... or completely tank any chances of trading him, for that matter.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

https://twitter.com/NHLFlyers/status/1356687237262569477

:hellyeah:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Probably never will hear the full harsh truth because there's no benefit to the people involved to run to the internet and blab about what they saw/heard. It can only hurt their own employment.

Everything us outsiders get is gonna be rumors spun up by people who's entire job is to get clicks and likes so you can never trust it completely.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Hand Knit posted:

People can find a lot of things on the internet but sometimes we choose to ask about them here, because we are having a discussion together. I am not a fan of the "why don't you just google that" attitude.

Sure, and rereading I'm coming off like more of an rear end than I intended. Apologies to all involved. Didn't really seem like a question that requires a goon hive mind deep dive to get to the bottom of it but I should have been nicer.

Levitate posted:

I know he's a chud piece of poo poo. I've tried to make that clear that I'm not trying to defend him. It's been frustrating that he was on the team to begin with and made more annoying by the fact that he was legit good at being an offense minded defenseman last year. I'm not sad he's gone, I won't be sad if he never plays in the NHL again. I think it's pretty clear that anyone who supports Trump/Republican policies is outright supporting racist policies and that makes them racist (and for some reason some people dont' seem to get that you can be racist without going around shouting slurs at everyone all the time and being a outright nazi).

My understanding is that the suspensions in juniors were more likely for calling teammates homophobic names, I believe people have looked back over those rosters and they were all white players at the time (though I guess that doesn't stop an idiot from calling other white people the N word). But that's kinda what I was asking about, whether there has been any real clarity on what happened there versus people trying to connect the dots.

Bolded bit is what I'm ham-fistedly trying to get at. Anyway, I'm done talking about pieces of poo poo let's get back to.... sport? Aw gently caress.

Cocaine Bear fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Feb 2, 2021

Koth
Jul 1, 2005
You have to be pretty deep into your racist beliefs to have it prevent you from making millions and millions of dollars.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/frank_seravalli/status/1356692483309252610

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/BroadStBull/status/1356688825670639621

goddamnit :(

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

That'll be a bummer if Pitt gets Drury.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Was JFJ the guy who handed out the Jeff Finger contract wat back when

Well poo poo

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Was JFJ the guy who handed out the Jeff Finger contract wat back when

No, that was his replacement, Cliff Fletcher.

JFJ is the guy that traded Tuukka Rask to the Bruins for Andrew Raycroft.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
The Penguins job (GM and coach both, actually) is not one I would want if I were a candidate with options. Light on draft picks, light on youth, light on cap space, heavy on declining, constantly injured veteran stars who will do whatever the gently caress they want and ownership will tie your hands if you displease them, extreme Win Now mandate from stars and owners despite the fact the team appears no better than fringe playoff quality. Failure (in the minds of owners and media) is overwhelmingly likely there. Securing a mid-seed playoff spot and not getting swept in the first round would be a successful season in their current circumstances, but the expectation is going to be Win The Cup.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Feb 2, 2021

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Koopa Kid posted:

No, that was his replacement, Cliff Fletcher.

JFJ is the guy that traded Tuukka Rask to the Bruins for Andrew Raycroft.

Yeah get your transactions by bad Leafs GMs straight!

I also love that the following offseason, the Leafs tried to correct their goaltending situation again by trading a 1st (which they already knew was the 13th overall), 2nd, and 4th for Toskala. Great times.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK

Eric the Mauve posted:

The Penguins job (GM and coach both, actually) is not one I would want if I were a candidate with options. Light on draft picks, light on youth, light on cap space, heavy on declining, constantly injured veteran stars who will do whatever the gently caress they want and ownership will tie your hands if you displease them, extreme Win Now mandate from stars and owners despite the fact the team appears no better than fringe playoff quality. Failure (in the minds of owners and media) is overwhelmingly likely there. Securing a mid-seed playoff spot and not getting swept in the first round would be a successful season in their current circumstances, but the expectation is going to be Win The Cup.

You mentioned it, but the fact that you've got meddling ownership interfering in the day to day hockey affairs is probably the biggest factor if I had to guess.

You're either eventually the GM arguing with Mario or you're resigning because of personal reasons.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
My last made me remind myself of the Leafs post-lockout goaltending miseries. I am also going to use GSAA on Hockey-Reference. I am not sure how good it is, but I like that it really shows how poor some of these goalies were compared to the average.

05-06: Belfour, .892 SV%, -13.77
06-07: Raycroft, .894 SV%, -22.02
07-08: Toskala, .904 SV%, -9.30
08-09: Toskala, .891 SV%, -27.09
09-10: Gustavsson, .902 SV%, -10.31 & Toskala, .874 SV%, -25.02

Then Reimer showed up and provided adequate goaltending.

These teams weren't good, but you have to imagine that average goaltending would have given the Leafs the few points they needed to make the playoffs. In 05-06, they missed by 2 points. In 06-07, they missed by 1 point. Then they just got really bad.

Twin Cinema fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Feb 2, 2021

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

hell no :negative:

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/PR_NHL/status/1356732248163299329
https://twitter.com/reporterchris/status/1356732396826165248

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/reporterchris/status/1356732749697200133

They had 10 yesterday, for those keeping track

https://twitter.com/reporterchris/status/1356733553644609538

Kilza fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Feb 2, 2021

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
This poo poo with buffalo and NJ has the potential to get really ugly. Wouldn't be at all surprised if NYS goes after the NHL for answers. Could have repurcussions on all 3 NY teams

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

NJ being terrible as usual

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

whatis posted:

This poo poo with buffalo and NJ has the potential to get really ugly. Wouldn't be at all surprised if NYS goes after the NHL for answers. Could have repurcussions on all 3 NY teams

This seems way more messy than the COVID outbreaks so far. Curious to see where this goes but prolly nowhere good....

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

whatis posted:

Maybe, but wasn't the NHL's covid protocols and return to play plan incredibly expansive? I'm not saying it's perfect, but they have a laundry list of reasons people get put on the protocol list beyond even testing positive. Also, shouldn't the NY Health Dept have more important things to be worrying about?

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
Who didn’t know you could catch something from people in New Jersey?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

RIP Frost