Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

Y3: oof. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
got my rear end cleaned out on the first cabaret battle what the gently caress!

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Bicyclops posted:

downloading 0 for later tonight and I had a minute when I saw the picture when I said "am I... downloading Chuck Buried Treasure?" and had to check to make sure this wasn't the beginning of a crazy imp dream

lmao

OIL! OIL! OIL!
Apr 12, 2009

Bicyclops posted:

might download 0 tonight, I've just seen so many people love this series.

I started 0 last night. Its so sick. It doesnt take long at all to figure out why everyone raves about these games.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Bicyclops posted:

any advice for total Yakuza noobs or is the game pretty self explanatory?

One piece of advice that I usually give people starting 0 for the first time is just a warning that the pacing at the very beginning isn’t representative of the rest of the game. It starts very slow and talky, a lot of cutscenes and walk-and-talks and tutorials, which I didn’t mind because the story and style of the game were cool. But it’s not until you meet Majima for the first time that the game really opens up and the pacing normalizes

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

this is the second game this week that i've done karaoke in, but i bombed out on my first go, lol. i can see how these hook you in already, though. even scrolling through the completion menu makes me want to do more stuff.

Brass Hand
Feb 27, 2020
Also be prepared for long first opening session for Y0 as it uses save points only.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Y7 takes about 3 hours to start also that’s my one complaint about it so far

ho fan
Oct 6, 2014

is the side stuff in Kiwami 1 worth doing?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

ho fan posted:

is the side stuff in Kiwami 1 worth doing?

It's worth doing in all the games but Kiwami 1 isn't great so if you're not feeling it just power through, the main story stuff is really good

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Bicyclops posted:

downloading 0 for later tonight and I had a minute when I saw the picture when I said "am I... downloading Chuck Buried Treasure?" and had to check to make sure this wasn't the beginning of a crazy imp dream

lmao

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

0 was great imps. played 1 on ps2, should i play kiwami 1 or skip to 2..?

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

I would play Kiwami 1. Though I think it’s for sure the weakest in the 0/K1/K2 trio it’s still quite fun and I like the additions (like Majima everywhere though it gets a little old after a while). If you choose to skip it though there’s a “last time on” thing at the start of K2 which will refresh your memory on the events of K1 so you won’t miss anything important plot wise

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

pog boyfriend posted:

0 was great imps. played 1 on ps2, should i play kiwami 1 or skip to 2..?

definitely play kiwami 1, the main story is extremely kick-rear end and if you mainline it the game's pretty short

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

The first boss fight in Kiwami sucks terribly and is not representative of the rest of the game.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Judgment getting the next gen treatment in April. I don’t care that I have to buy it again.

Thank You Sega

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
No free upgrade gently caress you sega

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

properly started kiwami tonight. this was the first yukuza game i played free on ps+ for a few hours, beat the first boss and stopped when i realized this was something i'd really enjoy if i start from 0. everything makes so much more sense now lol

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

its nice that kiryu has an entire game where he wears a dumb hawaiian shirt and looks after kids with haruka and there's absolutely no kamurocho based conspiracy in sight

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

man nurse posted:

Judgment getting the next gen treatment in April. I don’t care that I have to buy it again.

Thank You Sega
I got excited hoping for a PC release and I audibly heard the monkey's paw curl just out of sight as I read that it's Stadia exclusive

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

so like what do you spend your money on in kiwami? i'm a few hours in & already have 500k+. i think i was halfway thru 0 before ever seeing that much money

Joe Chip
Jan 4, 2014
just started kiwami 2 and my first side quest was poison the “artist”. i love these games so much

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

so like what do you spend your money on in kiwami? i'm a few hours in & already have 500k+. i think i was halfway thru 0 before ever seeing that much money

I forget which kiwami it was but one of them made weapons a lot more useful and those can always be real expensive.

If y3 is the "low point" of the remasters (3,4,5) then im in for a treat because I'm liking it a lot. Also I like Kiryu leaving the orphanage of ~8 kids to fly back to tokyo and handle business where he could presumably die and the person he leaves in charge is like 10.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

just beat the first boss in 0 and starting to get a handle on the combat. I haven't spent any money yet, I feel like once the game opens up a lot more, I'll have a better idea about what I want to choose.

Joe Chip
Jan 4, 2014

Bicyclops posted:

just beat the first boss in 0 and starting to get a handle on the combat. I haven't spent any money yet, I feel like once the game opens up a lot more, I'll have a better idea about what I want to choose.

my advice would be to not worry too much about money. i only did about half the side quests and almost never touched the real estate stuff and at the end of the game i had more upgrades than i needed. just do whatever’s fun and you’ll have a good time

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

kiwami 1 really wants you to use weapons and there will be lots of encounters that feel like poo poo if youre not packing

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

A big swordfish cannon to spam artillery shells at lovely cheese bosses

Brass Hand
Feb 27, 2020

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Pocket Racer?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

there are loads of expensive weapons and you're going to want them for some of the absurd HP Majima fights etc. I think I always had a full stock of... some magic knife thing? so I could just pull it out and OHKO random battles

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

i also spent it on pocket racer parts, equipment, and gifts for the ladies

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

i accidentally wandered into the disco bar and i think i'm going to be playing the disco mini game for the next few nights.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
just beat yakuza 0 and loved it, excited to carry on with the series but won't be doing that until i have at least finished cabaret club and real estate royale as well as a bunch more side stories.

if the rest of the series is even half as good as 0 i'll be very happy

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Brasseye posted:

just beat yakuza 0 and loved it, excited to carry on with the series but won't be doing that until i have at least finished cabaret club and real estate royale as well as a bunch more side stories.

if the rest of the series is even half as good as 0 i'll be very happy

Cabaret club comes back in K2 and I think K1 (?). So maybe skip that and do it in one of those. I did it in K2 I believe and it was fun.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

i accidentally wandered into the disco bar and i think i'm going to be playing the disco mini game for the next few nights.

Disco minigame is the second best after Mahjong, in this imp's opinion.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Arrhythmia posted:

Disco minigame is the second best after Mahjong, in this imp's opinion.

I felt like a moron the first two times I played it and then suddenly it clicked and got fun. I'm still doing easy mode on all the songs, though, I'm sure I'll be back in two days ranting and raving about how unfair hard mode is.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

I felt like a moron the first two times I played it and then suddenly it clicked and got fun. I'm still doing easy mode on all the songs, though, I'm sure I'll be back in two days ranting and raving about how unfair hard mode is.

hard mode isn't that bad, it just gives you more things to press, theres side stories that are definitely harder since you need to take advantage of the scoring system more

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

trying to jack off posted:

hard mode isn't that bad, it just gives you more things to press, theres side stories that are definitely harder since you need to take advantage of the scoring system more

yeah, I suck at trying to rack up the steps so far, the beat makes it way easier to kind of dance over a square and hit the button. granted I was playing it with a baby in my lap but I probably will again because the disco mini game was very effective at making him fall asleep.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

the karaoke games in yakuza just keep getting harder. i felt like a god after I hit every single note on a song in 2, it gave me 63/100 and called me a drunk

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

extremebuff posted:

the karaoke games in yakuza just keep getting harder. i felt like a god after I hit every single note on a song in 2, it gave me 63/100 and called me a drunk

The Dragon engine games are stupidly strict about karaoke scoring for some reason, in 7 I did Saeko’s song, hit every note, only got like 3 or 4 “good” instead of “great” and still didn’t make it onto the scoreboard lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Speaking of, Saeko’s song is an absolute banger, it’s unbelievable the quantity of really good hits they put out for these games

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MI4y8ugz2dw