Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

I mean Zack and him both worked on that character which is a more worthwhile thing than most films offer.

It's fascinating to me how different Snyder must be in private, because every panel and interview with him, especially regarding this film, makes him seem so condescending and smug and obnoxious. And I have all the sympathy in the world for the tragedy that caused all this, no parent should have that happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

the dude is pissed. He was getting jerked around by the studios because nerds (even my self) whined about his movies, and then his daughter died and he said gently caress it and left. And they got the hackiest hack on board and they made an even bigger mess.

I don’t blame him for being smug af. I would too.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Gaz-L posted:

It's fascinating to me how different Snyder must be in private, because every panel and interview with him, especially regarding this film, makes him seem so condescending and smug and obnoxious. And I have all the sympathy in the world for the tragedy that caused all this, no parent should have that happen.

By all accounts, Zack Snyder is an absolute pleasure to work with.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Gaz-L posted:

It's fascinating to me how different Snyder must be in private
Yeah, professionally a bunch of actors and stuntspeople have said he's really good to work with.

I think he has this kind of AdHD Crossfit Bro energy that works against his professional ethic, tho. Like the infamous "LoL the guy that dies at the beginning of BvS is Jimmy Olsen because a Tacticool Operator Jimmy getting shot is funny" thing.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It's time to face facts: jocks are nerds, and always have been.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

SlimGoodbody posted:

Christ the Snyderverse seems to produce an inordinate amount of drama.

Name another forgettably lovely movie that we've had to hear about every goddamn week for four years after, I beseech you

Aphrodite posted:

It's Leto so it would be made out of some nonconsenting teenage 30STM fan's pubic hair though.

ftfy

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Personally I'd wait until *after* the risky multimillion dollar reshoot 4 hour film that all of these people star in and have a lot resting on comes out, to start believing these people's takes on their director. Seems like at this current time there's a pretty massive conflict of interest.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Uh, maybe I'm misunderstanding here, but it doesn't matter if the Snyder Cut is good or lovely, that shouldn't make anyone believe Fisher any more or less.

Like even if Whedon had made a good Justice League, that wouldn't excuse mistreating actors.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I'm not talking about Fisher's specific accusations, I meant stuff like Snyder being allegedly a pleasure to work with, in a context where they are in the middle of promoting a project between they and him. It's not like all the dirty Snyder laundry will be aired right now, if it exists.

The point is not that the film being good or bad matters, the point is that all these guys have contractual obligations right now.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Name another forgettably lovely movie that we've had to hear about every goddamn week for four years after, I beseech yoU

There was one that came out 8 years ago that people will pop out of the woodwork to argue about to this day.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Prometheus?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Fangz posted:

Personally I'd wait until *after* the risky multimillion dollar reshoot 4 hour film that all of these people star in and have a lot resting on comes out, to start believing these people's takes on their director. Seems like at this current time there's a pretty massive conflict of interest.

There's a decade plus of accounts.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Eh, there've been plenty of opportunities to throw Snyder under buses before now, if anyone had any real beef. I know folks like Whedon and Michael Bay and Bryan Singer et al have desensitized us to the concept of rear end in a top hat directors with miles of BTS horror stories, but most directors are frankly just...normal people doing jobs.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Prometheus is so good. People don’t talk about it enough.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

I haven't been keeping up but has there been an explanation why they brought back the sex pest cultist for this?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Abroham Lincoln posted:

I haven't been keeping up but has there been an explanation why they brought back the sex pest cultist for this?

Best, optimistic guess is that they are contracted to use Jared Leto if they want to use the Joker at all.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Abroham Lincoln posted:

no and it bugs me since zs was willing to drop chris d'elia and replace him with tig notaro for his army of the dead project

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

JT Smiley posted:

There was one that came out 8 years ago that people will pop out of the woodwork to argue about to this day.

It's true, I don't know what the hell happened but RED 2 was a serious step down from the first film

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

MacheteZombie posted:

no and it bugs me since zs was willing to drop chris d'elia and replace him with tig notaro for his army of the dead project

Yeah, this is what's making me assume that it's a studio decision, and he's not allowed to recast Joker.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Ideally, I would like for Jared Leto to be shot into the sun.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

ZSJL has been rated R. Which I don't think really means anything, the BvS extended was a very soft R.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Roth posted:

Yeah, this is what's making me assume that it's a studio decision, and he's not allowed to recast Joker.

Eagerly awaiting the TRUE Snyder Cut No Executive Meddling For Realsies(tm) for the real premium immersive experience.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Karloff posted:

ZSJL has been rated R. Which I don't think really means anything, the BvS extended was a very soft R.

Batman says gently caress. It's gonna be nuts.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Batman kills the joker but no one cares because it's jared leto

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Jamesman posted:

I'm also watching Daredevil's last season, and I'm just reminded of how loving good Charlie Cox is as Matt Murdock. I really hope the rumors are true and he gets a chance to play the character some more.

Me too. He was wonderful as Daredevil and deserves to have a longer go at it. Though I'd say the same for Ritter as Jessica Jones and Mike Colter as Luke Cage to varying degrees. And of course Jon Bernthal should get another crack at Punisher. By the end of it all, I enjoyed most of Netflix MCU, so it's kind of a bummer for it to all be non-canon and shot into the sun. There's some stuff worth keeping. If that turns out to just be Daredevil, fine.

He looks like Joaquin Phoenix Joker. Maybe it's all a big swerve and this is gonna bring in Joaquin Phoenix instead of stupid Leto.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Roth posted:

Ideally, I would like for Jared Leto to be shot into the sun.

Literally the only bad thing about Blade Runner 2049. That poor actor who is the replicant that comes out of the zip lock bag all covered in good, having to be molested by him. 100% his dialog in that scene is actually what Leto thinks.

And Prometheus is underrated. Its a million times better than Covenant. Now that was a shitshow.

SonicRulez posted:

Me too. He was wonderful as Daredevil and deserves to have a longer go at it. Though I'd say the same for Ritter as Jessica Jones and Mike Colter as Luke Cage to varying degrees. And of course Jon Bernthal should get another crack at Punisher. By the end of it all, I enjoyed most of Netflix MCU, so it's kind of a bummer for it to all be non-canon and shot into the sun. There's some stuff worth keeping. If that turns out to just be Daredevil, fine.

The last thing wrong with the Netflix Marvel shows is the casting. Everyone was so well cast, even though I'd prefer to see Patsy Walker more like the Kate Leth verison, there wasn't anything wrong with Trish Walker.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

twistedmentat posted:

And Prometheus is underrated. Its a million times better than Covenant. Now that was a shitshow.

I quite liked Prometheus, and I enjoyed Covenant but walking out I knew that I was going to hate the third movie. God, I was completely done with the David storyline.

Something about the way that picture of the Joker is blurred makes it look like he's balding with long hair to me. Reminds me of old Joker from that storyline in Morrison's JLA.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

It is probably Joker from the Knightmare timeline.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Covenant is amazing too. The opening scene is so loving good. It might be my single favorite scene in the entire Alien series

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Honestly at this point I'm more fascinated by people overhyping the new Justice League cut, and thinking it was cut down by evil executives who were scared of how good it was going to be, rather than a mismanaged corporate product derailed by Synder's personal tragedy and Whedon being rude.
I mean, there are people who are convinced that there's a super secret cut of Suicide Squad that Warner Brothers have covered up because its too good and that's where the Leto Joker was good, but they don't want you to know about it.

I hope that Synder and Fisher both get some emotional closure from this project though.

The question is, where does the DC cinematic universe go from here? Shazam was probably the best non-Wonder Woman entry, and that could have been set in ANY version of the DC Universe. The Suicide Squad looks like they're letting James Gunn do his own thing, with a few legacy characters from the first. Until the cameras start rolling on The Flash film, I'm skeptical it'll happen, and that version of the Flash hasn't caught the public's attention the same way the TV show did.

Maybe its time to go back to standalone films, but with little easter eggs?

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/ThePlaylist/status/1356710120361660417

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yeah it’s kind of a problem when you effectively remake a director’s movie like this, because then the other directors are like ‘why not me?’

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah it’s kind of a problem when you effectively remake a director’s movie like this, because then the other directors are like ‘why not me?’

I can imagine that David Ayer is furious that he's not getting to do Ayer's Suicide Squad, and I don't really blame him.

All of this could've been avoided if DC had given their directors more room to breathe and do their own thing in the first place.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Weren't there rumors about Ayer being an abusive rear end in a top hat on the Suicide Squad set too?

I guess of course WB doesn't care about that, but that would be why there's no push for it from any of the cast I guess.

Anyway, WB paying over $40 million to complete a cut of the movie that they hated (and possibly may have fired Snyder for in the first place) is great. $40mil+ so he can bring back all those pointless sidestories and DCEU threads that are not going to be followed up on anymore, and no possible way they make that money back in subscriptions. It's just truly amazing management.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Feb 3, 2021

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
The knightmare scene in Batman vs Superman worked fine as a look at Batman's paranoia and fear about Superman. It's interesting visually and has a nice bit of character development! Then the parademons show up and ruin it. Then the Flash shows up even though we don't know who this guy is, and drops cryptic sequel hints for a film that might not happen and has nothing to do with anything.

Birds of Prey had some interesting visuals, and Yan is a talented director, but nothing else works, and it wastes the cast and concepts. I'm not convinced that Harley Quinn works in live action, despite Margot Robbie's clear enthusiasm for the role. It's like they said "Deadpool made money, do that", but without the balance of earnest charm and comedy cynicism Deadpool had. Even Deadpool 2 couldn't recapture that.

It sounds like corporate meddling is really hurting this franchise.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Deadpool is like at least 5 orders of magnitude worse than Birds of prey.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I like Deadpool better because it was one good Deadpool movie, as opposed to being like 3 different movies that are all kinda good but don't really mesh together particularly well

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Deadpool 1 +2 are great and I’m looking forward to the 3rd, whenever that actually gets made

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
Am I the only Goon that prefers Deadpool 2 over Deadpool?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Am I the only Goon that prefers Deadpool 2 over Deadpool?

I think Deadpool 2 has much better jokes (I thought the first film was painfully unfunny) but the plot is a big mess. It's a give-or-take thing for me.