Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Anytime you see the art style shift like that and Mookie trying a new perspective you can bet on it being traced.

Probably, but at least with characters that sort of tracing is more like copying poses than outright lifting a scene as it did with the park or the diner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Some of his better artwork. Maybe this week something will. Happen?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Hope is the first step on the March Across Maltak.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Tesseraction posted:

Some of his better artwork. Maybe this week something will. Happen?

what does your heart tell you

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
The characters entering a ship seems to imply that we're done with walking for the forseeable future. Unless Mookie contrives a way to separate Snout from the Ink Witch again like he did in Mongreltown.

Also seeing the Ink Witch, Snout and Corpse Bride together really highlights how uninspired his character design's become even compared to OG DD.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Spoiler for the next two weeks of updates:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Why is there a ship if you can just fly around on a ribbon of ink magic

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

TheHan posted:

She understands english perfectly.

https://twitter.com/GwenDesGunn/status/1355221336658862081

Do you ever get the feeling that there are people walking around with such alien thought processes you'll never be able to understand them?

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

Nighthand posted:

https://twitter.com/GwenDesGunn/status/1355221336658862081

Do you ever get the feeling that there are people walking around with such alien thought processes you'll never be able to understand them?

No, I feel like I have a perfect grasp on the thought process of Mookie's sockpuppet.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

In a better world I would assume that was sarcasm.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.
There is also a retweet about how predictable plot twists are a good thing which is a bit on the nose

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
Nah I've seen quite a lot of posts of people being annoyed at twists for the sake of tricking the audience recently, and why it's not a bad thing when the audience correctly picks up on foreshadowing. There's this weird perception (I mean it probably HAS happened but nowhere near as frequently as people think) that showrunners see audiences making predictions about what's going to happen and then change the story so they can go 'Gotcha! What a twist eh?!' no matter the detriment to the show. So it could be genuine.

Most of it popped up after Game of Thrones ended, I think.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.
I guess i found it funny because the current comic has to have a plot to have a plot twist.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Pyrotoad posted:

Nah I've seen quite a lot of posts of people being annoyed at twists for the sake of tricking the audience recently, and why it's not a bad thing when the audience correctly picks up on foreshadowing. There's this weird perception (I mean it probably HAS happened but nowhere near as frequently as people think) that showrunners see audiences making predictions about what's going to happen and then change the story so they can go 'Gotcha! What a twist eh?!' no matter the detriment to the show. So it could be genuine.

I'd say The Last Jedi really started it, but people got sick of a lot of things in modern TV storytelling after Game of Thrones. I've never see a show leave the pop culture conversation as fast as it did.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
There's also Lost, where from the very first episode people called "They're dead and in the afterlife" and it seems like the writers did everything they could to try and make people feel that they were wrong, and in the end it turned out they were right.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

All those examples share something with Mookie's comics - the writers had no idea where they were going with the story, only that there should be a mystery that gets revealed. The difference being most of them went off the rails trying to top themselves with more mysteries, whereas Mookie just... Has nothing interesting happen at all.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Pyrotoad posted:

Westworld was one actual example, the showrunners said they altered a major twist after everyone on the Internet guessed it.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Someone say unsatisfying stories?

Probably one of the only interesting questions about the Legacy was how this ship was supposed to work. It's intelligent enough to ask questions and act independent of its creator's will, but is 100% an ink construct. So to see that the inside of the ship is an empty room where the Ink Witch just draws which way she wants to go on loose paper is maybe the most unsatisfying answer I can think of, good work.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Well you see, it was the wild edge affecting it! Which is why it was intelligent and autonomous for a while.

Then worked normally for a while.

Then crashed.

Because wild edge!!!!!

I still think what ACTUALLY happened is that the ship was originally mean to be controlled by an antagonist, not the ink witch, but Mookie changed his mind early one, likely just after it blew up Snout's house. But Mookie couldn't think up a good explanation for it's actions before that point, so he... Didn't.

The ink witch's period of working with Snout through the paper is in the same boat - Mookie probably had a certain idea about her motivations, later changed his mind, but didn't bother to go back and explain her actions before her ship crashed.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Feb 2, 2021

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Corpsemomwife's supposed to be a blank slate, so it wouldn't make sense for her to know how to talk, seeing as Snout didn't teach her. But that would require the characters facing any type of adversity or inability to communicate effectively with each other, so of course Mookie would choose the laziest direction this could go.

Also, if that ship is made entirely out of ink then I bet it smells bad inside.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Does it being made out of ink make it 10x as spacious on the inside? There's no way that's the same size as any of its prior appearances.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

If it's made of ink, HOW DOES IT HAVE A TRANSPARENT WINDSCREEN

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Invisible ink

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

TheHan posted:

Probably one of the only interesting questions about the Legacy was how this ship was supposed to work. It's intelligent enough to ask questions and act independent of its creator's will, but is 100% an ink construct. So to see that the inside of the ship is an empty room where the Ink Witch just draws which way she wants to go on loose paper is maybe the most unsatisfying answer I can think of, good work.

Even just drawing it on the walls/windscreen or something would have made it slightly more visually interesting. Drawing on a piece of paper and holding it up is just the dumbest execution of that idea.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Zerilan posted:

just the dumbest execution of that idea.

New thread title?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Twelve by Pies posted:

Invisible ink

Gives the ship a 'lemony-fresh' air.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Invisible Clergy posted:

Does it being made out of ink make it 10x as spacious on the inside? There's no way that's the same size as any of its prior appearances.

It's not 10x as big on the inside as on the outside, it's as big as the current panel needs it to be. That thing definitely grew in size between panels 2 and 3.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
And the old pilot-drawings are just lying around. What a joyless, empty design.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I feel like the old drawings lying around could actually work in a way. If the ship flew based on following a drawn path, then keeping old drawings for when you want to revisit a place would be convenient. Like if you drew a route from your house to your mom's house, you could keep that on file so you wouldn't have to make a new drawing every time you wanted to visit your mom, just pull that one out and use it. Most people would probably keep them organized and filed/labeled so you could easily find a route when you needed it, and the Ink Witch having hers lying about would imply she was a slob or just scatterbrained.

But of course, that would require a lot of setup that wouldn't work in a "speechless" comic. Also the ship pretty clearly doesn't work the way I described, it really is just "She draws a line going left and the ship goes left."

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Dabir posted:

Spoiler for the next two weeks of updates:

gently caress, man...

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

look at all those blobs

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

This is probably super nitpicky, but just like Snout's house, her ship doesn't even have a loving single chair.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Pretty reasonable complaint honestly.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Seeing that ship reminded me of dreams I used to have as a kid where half of the room would suddenly start sliding down at an angle.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

TheHan posted:

gently caress, man...

easiest call I've ever made

why does the ship made of magical flying ink have a tailpipe that's also its engine

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

In my mind's eye that's actually a gun firing a deadly laser to some poor sap off-screen.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

TheHan posted:

gently caress, man...

Visit scenic Maltak, land of a thousand pubes.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Plot is going so slowly the pages have grown moss.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Does this feel like adventure time to anyone else? like a lovely version of those future episodes they did. I feel like that+no man's sky is what Mookie is aping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Guess it's time for even more nothing to happen. Mookie seems to think that you can make a comic entirely out of establishing shots, not that it's a tool you use to quickly show off what a new location is like to readers.