Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Aphrodite posted:

After I fought a Reaper on on one* I don't want to shoot pirates and scavengers just trying to survive.

* with a little help from orbital bombardment

I mean, you shoot a lot of pirates and mercenaries just doing their job in the original trilogy.

More to the point, to a certain degree the setting needs a bit of reset in stakes. The Shepard Trilogy ends with you leading the war effort to defeat an ancient evil from beyond the starts that wants to wipe out all sentient life in the galaxy. You can't immediately keep escalating from that, it'd be absurd. Pulling back to rebuilding after the war helps bring the scale back down while still letting the player character do important, meaningful things. Do you try stretch your resources to rescue isolated colonies or focus on rebuilding the core worlds? What do you do about the rachni and/or ungenophaged Krogan? Should you trust in shady characters like Aria or the various mercenary companies to help you or keep everything under the thumb of the official government? What about all this hyper-advanced Reaper tech that's floating around? This is all stuff that lets you explore interesting themes and stories and creates difficult, often personal choices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

This is why when people said "b-but there's no possible way you could make a direct sequel to ME3" I always thought it was a dumb thing to say, because if you think about it creatively for even a few minutes you can already come up with a lot of compelling storylines for a galaxy in disarray following the destruction of the Reapers and the mass relay network.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Some new images:

I'm at the point where I'm kinda just accepting the aesthetic change because it seems to happen with every big remaster of this scope anyway, plus I dig that they're making Eden Prime seem less sparse as well.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

exquisite tea posted:

This is why when people said "b-but there's no possible way you could make a direct sequel to ME3" I always thought it was a dumb thing to say, because if you think about it creatively for even a few minutes you can already come up with a lot of compelling storylines for a galaxy in disarray following the destruction of the Reapers and the mass relay network.

You basically can't get any more serious than galactic Armageddon without basically turning the game into an anime plot. They wrote themselves into a corner, and the fact that the Andromeda game was so rushed and bad basically killed any real interest in providing another sequel dead.

Lightningproof
Feb 23, 2011

It looks fine and I'll buy it because it means I won't have to gently caress around with mods to make my gamepad work. Thanks for reading.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

A Festivus Miracle posted:

You basically can't get any more serious than galactic Armageddon without basically turning the game into an anime plot. They wrote themselves into a corner, and the fact that the Andromeda game was so rushed and bad basically killed any real interest in providing another sequel dead.

Nobody is asking for Reapers but even bigger and badder. Andromeda failed because it was Mass Effect homeopathy, an extremely watered down fascimile that attempted to replicate the settings and characters of the original trilogy without earning any of it narratively.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Atelier Sal. A management game about a Salarian who dreams of having the best shop on the Citadel. You have ten in-game years to make it happen because that's when he dies of old age.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Imo it is dumb for games to UP THE ANTE every single time. There are tons of cool stories to be told in the ME universe that dont involve saving the entire galaxy from ancient super machines. Imagine being a down on your luck mercenary at any time in the series, or a special forces soldier trying to help re establish society after ME3, or another Spectre taking down criminal networks

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I take it the "single player content only" tiny text on the poster art means no reboot of the multiplayer mode? I still have that thread bookmarked :v:

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Shumagorath posted:

I take it the "single player content only" tiny text on the poster art means no reboot of the multiplayer mode? I still have that thread bookmarked :v:

I'm telling you, if this sells very well they're gonna charge 20 for the multiplayer mode and we're all gonna pay it

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

OhFunny posted:

They didn't go that drastic with the combat changes, but they added:

Rebalanced XP for level 60 cap in one playthrough

Oh thank gently caress. Now if they've fixed the fuckin' trophies where you basically had to do a playthrough with one squadmate never leaving your party I can finally plat that sumbitch.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

OctaMurk posted:

Imo it is dumb for games to UP THE ANTE every single time. There are tons of cool stories to be told in the ME universe that dont involve saving the entire galaxy from ancient super machines. Imagine being a down on your luck mercenary at any time in the series, or a special forces soldier trying to help re establish society after ME3, or another Spectre taking down criminal networks

It's going to be Shepard again.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

I've never played these. So I'm excited to grab them for my PS5. (checks notes). Okay I'm happy to grab them for my PS4 up res when they are on sale or if I'm still stuck at home in May (hahaha of course I will be). All three will be worth $60 right?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

LionArcher posted:

I've never played these. So I'm excited to grab them for my PS5. (checks notes). Okay I'm happy to grab them for my PS4 up res when they are on sale or if I'm still stuck at home in May (hahaha of course I will be). All three will be worth $60 right?

Oh yeah for sure. There's a ton of content.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

LionArcher posted:

easily. these are excellent games.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

LionArcher posted:

Well sorry about all the spoilers! I would suggest not reading any more of this thread.

Anyway, yes, unless BioWare really butchers some technical stuff and the remasters run like garbage or something, the trilogy is definitely worth sixty bones. Dumb or not all three games are very very fun.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

LionArcher posted:

Especially with all the DLC. You'll have a fun time overall.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Simone Magus posted:

I'm telling you, if this sells very well they're gonna charge 20 for the multiplayer mode and we're all gonna pay it

I spent hundreds of hours getting every unlock in multiplayer if they actually included it in the remaster I'd be on board. Hilarious that they're leaving that money on the table.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!
I'm pretty sure they won't but it might be nice to see them actually add a model for Saren that doesn't show all the cybernetics from the very start.

They wanted to, and planned to have one where he looks more like a normal Turian until the very last encounter with him but they had to cut the model for time late in development. This is why you get all those odd things in the first game like no one seeming to have an issue with a half-machine Saren talking to the Citadel council saying "me? Work with the Geth? Nonsense!" while gesturing with his recently-attached Geth arm, or his reference to Sovereign "upgrading" him when you meet him at the end of the game despite looking exactly the same as every other point.

Making an entirely new model might be a big ask but they're not gonna get another chance after this, I would wager.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
Fun story- Somehow my first mass effect 2 playthrough got corrupted in such a way that it would crash randomly during the resource mini-game. No other time, just that. It got to the point that it would take 8-10 crashes during a resource gathering session. I even tried buying a new disk, but nope.
Probably added like 5-6 hours to my playtime with all the reboots.
So yeah, gently caress that minigame. I hope its dead

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
People have noticed that Pinnacle Station was absent from the DLC bundle list for Legendary Edition and that’s because the source code for it is corrupt.

BioWare farmed it out to Demirgue Studios back in the day, so when they asked for the code from them for the remaster, they found it was completely unreadable. And according to Mac Walters, he of the “pick your favourite colour” ending, it would take them another six months just to rebuild the DLC from scratch. Which doesn’t exactly sound right, but whatever, BioWare is lazy as poo poo and has a long track record of being lazy as poo poo.

I don’t think many people actually liked Pinnacle Station anyway, so it’s probably not a big loss. I just liked the apartment you could win for Shepard at the end of it, even if getting there was a miserable slog.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

UnknownMercenary posted:

I spent hundreds of hours getting every unlock in multiplayer if they actually included it in the remaster I'd be on board. Hilarious that they're leaving that money on the table.
I still don't have a Harrier :lol:

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
I had every gun, I think, but my Harrier was only like level 2.

I had a level 9 Talon that was my pride and joy. Also had a level 10 geth sniper rifle (Javelin?) I literally never used because sniping wasn't all that fun in the MP for me

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

nine-gear crow posted:

People have noticed that Pinnacle Station was absent from the DLC bundle list for Legendary Edition and that’s because the source code for it is corrupt.

BioWare farmed it out to Demirgue Studios back in the day, so when they asked for the code from them for the remaster, they found it was completely unreadable. And according to Mac Walters, he of the “pick your favourite colour” ending, it would take them another six months just to rebuild the DLC from scratch. Which doesn’t exactly sound right, but whatever, BioWare is lazy as poo poo and has a long track record of being lazy as poo poo.

I don’t think many people actually liked Pinnacle Station anyway, so it’s probably not a big loss. I just liked the apartment you could win for Shepard at the end of it, even if getting there was a miserable slog.

I found pinnacle station to be nigh impossible without dropping the difficulty super low, but I also liked the apartment, and that you could order top level spectre gear, so sad to do it’s gone. Ah well.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

chaosapiant posted:

I put 80 hours or so into Andromeda over the summer and it was....fine. It’s not a super memorable game but it’s got some fun combat and a good bit of interesting/fun/neat content. It’s also got a lot of filler, but you can ignore what you don’t like.

the biggest issue with it isnt that its bad bad(outside a few things) the problem is its boring as gently caress and not original. some of the characters are fun but the quests blow rear end for the most part and it feels like a really empty MMO world where you drive a boring truck around for hours. the games a fascinating mess.

Cross-Section posted:

Some new images:

I'm at the point where I'm kinda just accepting the aesthetic change because it seems to happen with every big remaster of this scope anyway, plus I dig that they're making Eden Prime seem less sparse as well.

looks cool.

OctaMurk posted:

yeah. andromada needed to be lower key. there needed to be a whole new bunch of aliens and the game would lean into going star trek and trying to make conections with new allies/goverments, dealing with crisis and poo poo.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/macwalterslives/status/1357083291313037312?s=20
Good poo poo, I was always paranoid about passing the checks for the companion arguments specifically (even though it was totally fine most of the time).

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
The only choice I can remember that required max paragon/renegade was being able to have Morinth kill Samara. Definitely nothing related to the suicide mission.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

1stGear posted:

The only choice I can remember that required max paragon/renegade was being able to have Morinth kill Samara. Definitely nothing related to the suicide mission.

It's referring to the fight between two squad members which can be very hard to defuse if you don't do everything exactly right, and if you fail you lose one of their loyalties

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Cross-Section posted:

https://twitter.com/macwalterslives/status/1357083291313037312?s=20
Good poo poo, I was always paranoid about passing the checks for the companion arguments specifically (even though it was totally fine most of the time).

The Miranda/Jack reputation check was also bugged at the time of its release so that it was literally impossible to pass if Miranda was already loyal at the time of Jack’s loyalty mission. The Paragon option would never unlock, but the renegade option sometimes would, so you either had to go renegade or lose one of their loyalties.

If I recall correctly, it was patched on the PC version to fix it, but it never got a console patch.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

nine-gear crow posted:

The Miranda/Jack reputation check was also bugged at the time of its release so that it was literally impossible to pass if Miranda was already loyal at the time of Jack’s loyalty mission. The Paragon option would never unlock, but the renegade option sometimes would, so you either had to go renegade or lose one of their loyalties.

If I recall correctly, it was patched on the PC version to fix it, but it never got a console patch.
I don't recall that at all playing on PS3, never had a problem passing that check as a paragon.

Also unlocked every MP gun but some are stuck at like 2 because the RNG loving hates me :(

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
I definitely had one or two playthroughs on PS3 where I wasn't able to defuse the fight because I'd done things in some arcanely incorrect order.

I believe saving Miranda's loyalty for last and/or going Paragon was responsible

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

SubponticatePoster posted:

I don't recall that at all playing on PS3, never had a problem passing that check as a paragon.

Also unlocked every MP gun but some are stuck at like 2 because the RNG loving hates me :(

I think it might have been only on the Xbox 360 then, because I remember my first run through the game neither Paragon or Renegade prompts appeared and I was playing with an imported ME1 character who had the reputation bonuses.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

chaosapiant posted:

I put 80 hours or so into Andromeda over the summer and it was....fine. It’s not a super memorable game but it’s got some fun combat and a good bit of interesting/fun/neat content. It’s also got a lot of filler, but you can ignore what you don’t like.

i did the same and my experience was much the same.

i had fun, in short. glad i got it super on sale haha. kept my expectations low.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The Miranda and Jack argument can also happen very early in the game if you do their loyalty missions at first opportunity when you have gently caress-all Paragon/Renegade meter.

The Legion/Tali argument meanwhile happens way later and it's hard not to be able to defuse it.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
the new sequel should just be a resurrected legion collecting and wearing various other pieces of a blown apart Shepard. just pulling a partial face over the ol' optical port

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Funky Valentine posted:

The Miranda and Jack argument can also happen very early in the game if you do their loyalty missions at first opportunity when you have gently caress-all Paragon/Renegade meter.

Oh yeah that happened to me too

The whole system was naff. I did a playthrough where I made decisions by flipping a coin and it was pretty full of failure lol

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

the new sequel should just be a resurrected legion collecting and wearing various other pieces of a blown apart Shepard. just pulling a partial face over the ol' optical port

"This one is Shepard-Commander, and this retail outlet is this one's favorite on the Citadel."

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Sally posted:

i did the same and my experience was much the same.

i had fun, in short. glad i got it super on sale haha. kept my expectations low.

I did the same over the summer and fall of 2017 shortly after its release. I got it for like 45% off on Origin during EA's post-release panic right after the big patch for it dropped that fixed a lot of the poo poo people set their hair on fire over and implemented the Scott/Jaal romance option. So when I played it I was like "Huh, I don't really see what all the fuss was about, this seems pretty decent."

I just wish it kept up the same level of quality it did in its first 4-6 hours, because once you leave Aya things seriously stall out and just coast till the end with minor exciting blips here and there.

Basically, I was expecting the Mass Effect version of Stargate: Atlantis and it got like 80% there so I was mostly happy with it. But fuuuuuuck that side quest with the lady who traveled all around the Helius Cluster like 80 times in a week being some kind of white boomer Karen super spreader for her dumb virus. That quest killed my desire to keep playing the game cold and made me rush to Meridian to just loving end it already.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Those of you who recently played Andromeda again, is it realistic to try and play through it without doing all the stupid open world bullshit? It's available on EA Play now just not sure if I want to get started on it just to find out I have to do 374372843 fuckin fetch quests that don't advance the plot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

I'm sad they're not bringing back the multiplayer. I miss my Batarian Vanguard and his crippling addiction to punching people in the face.