Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

hawowanlawow posted:

yeah the stringiness is what repulses me I think

It was the smell for me. Couldn't get it past my nose let alone into my mouth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Fur20 posted:

i play wiedźmin in polish with english subs

horse sushi is the best use any man has ever devised for horses

I had horse sashimi once. I was not impressed. Tasted no different from raw beef.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Unpopular Video Game Opinions! - Yea I ate raw horse once

Unpopular Video Game Opinions! - Still on the fence about the eggs with the duck fetus.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I love trying foods from other cultures even if they do make anime. If it isn't a brain or a maggot cheese I'll try it at least once.

Still on the fence about the eggs with the duck fetus.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
I eat anything and everything as long as it won't obviously make me sick. And sometimes even that low bar isn't totally cleared

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

christmas boots posted:

I love trying foods from other cultures even if they do make anime. If it isn't a brain or a maggot cheese I'll try it at least once.

Play posted:

I eat anything and everything as long as it won't obviously make me sick. And sometimes even that low bar isn't totally cleared

yeah I don't think natto clears either of these bars

its_my_birthday
Sep 18, 2020

Play posted:

I prefer subs on literally everything and always will, dubs just don't really do it. I usually get subititles for all my English movies too, makes it easier to follow along especially if you're a bit distracted. Some English movies I have real trouble understanding due to the accents especially if they are foreign variants.

Also Western studios probably comprise 75% of all games that are made, I don't think pointing to a few games released in the past five years that were decent actually means anything

Old man yells at cloud moment, but: I'm annoyed a lot of movies have the habit of like whisper level dialogue combined with speaker blowing special effects and music. I don't wanna play with the remote the entire movie or annoy my apartment neighbors, and I don't really wanna wear headphones all the time.

and for video games it's just easier to remember poo poo that you read rather than only heard cause i don't really care for cutscenes and video game dialogue, i just wanna be able to catch something that might be important.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I quickly developed a 104 fever in high school shortly after eating doritos 3Ds and it probably wasn't the doritos that did it, but that's been the only food that makes me feel sick to even think about due to the association. I thought I kinda dodged a bullet there because they went off the market pretty quick. I thought I was free of its oppressive presence.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

christmas boots posted:

My Filipino friends always have the lowdown on the best new food trends and tend to bring lumpia to the potluck.

I love them, but I still cannot bring myself to try balut.

Man, videogames make me hungry... I should get some longanisa fries to stress-eat this weekend.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

its_my_birthday posted:

Old man yells at cloud moment, but: I'm annoyed a lot of movies have the habit of like whisper level dialogue combined with speaker blowing special effects and music. I don't wanna play with the remote the entire movie or annoy my apartment neighbors, and I don't really wanna wear headphones all the time.

and for video games it's just easier to remember poo poo that you read rather than only heard cause i don't really care for cutscenes and video game dialogue, i just wanna be able to catch something that might be important.

When I was a teenager I had a 24" RCA tv that had an option called "automatic volume leveling system" that fixed this.

I've never seen it since.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

its_my_birthday posted:

Oh I'm totally with you. The mixing, I feel like, is designed for the movie theater where noise isn't a concern and you want large variations in sound levels. At home though I'm basically constantly adjusting the volume up and down to compensate for their lovely mixing that makes the louds too loud and the softs too soft. Not just to my perception either, but in the sense that the quiet parts can hardly be heard at all while the loud parts can be heard two apartments away

Games actually seem a bit better about that, movies are def the worst

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Not mixing related but dub quality related

For all the talk about voice acting quality being bad, most good voice acting doesn't sound natural either. Like, no one talks like a character voiced by Tony Jay, but he was loving great. Voice acting that sounds actually natural to me is so rare that when I hear it, it catches me off guard. The last game I can remember playing where a character sounded to me like they were just talking normally but believing their own performance was the protagonist in Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors. It struck me when I heard this particular delivery of "what the hell is this"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMnriHV0-Xg

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
The old ubisoft naruto game was really fun, it was a metroidvania fighter and it really worked as a game. From what I've seen all the others are all terrible cutscene attack trash games. They were more like the anime trash they were based on.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

signalnoise posted:

I had horse sashimi once. I was not impressed. Tasted no different from raw beef.

it varies in quality a lot, when its dry it tastes bad but when its fresh its really good

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

fridge corn posted:

Natto is fucken disgustin

no dude it tastes incredible. do you also hate rocquefort cheese and mustard

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
my bar is no cannibalism anymore and no endangered species. there are some non endangered whales forex

chicken sushi is good but you gotta have it in japan where they have the salmonella vaccinated chickens and theres still a solid chance of getting sick w something else

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

bob dobbs is dead posted:

my bar is no cannibalism anymore and no endangered species.

So what, you're too good to eat the least endangered species there is?

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF
Late by a few dozen pages but wow cyberpunk was a mediocre rear end game.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Ashmole posted:

Late by a few dozen pages but wow cyberpunk was a mediocre rear end game.

it's never too late to bring it back to games

so like i was saying, ground raw beef with raw egg yolk and green onion

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

signalnoise posted:

it's never too late to bring it back to games

so like i was saying, ground raw beef with raw egg yolk and green onion

tartare is only great with great beef, which is harder to get than you would think

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i'm great at hard

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
shenmue 3 taught me about black garlic

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

my bar is no cannibalism anymore and no endangered species

Don't play rimworld

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Karl Ontario posted:

The Japanese voiceovers are not "better". You just don't speak Japanese so you can't tell they are the same crap as the English VOs.

As a professional translator who does speak Japanese, the quality of Japanese voiceovers is generally higher.

That said, I generally dislike Japanese dubs of non-Japanese content. In conclusion, all dubs are bad.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

my bar is no cannibalism anymore and no endangered species. there are some non endangered whales forex

chicken sushi is good but you gotta have it in japan where they have the salmonella vaccinated chickens and theres still a solid chance of getting sick w something else

ever have basashi?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
ive had cooked horse but not raw

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Are the japanese arguing over whether to watch King of Hill in the dub or the subs?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Caesar Saladin posted:

Are the japanese arguing over whether to watch King of Hill in the dub or the subs?

Paging Rawhide Kobayashi.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
oh yeah. my unpopular food opinion is that you all should eat more lung, gods own organ meat. you see, fractals are natures way of making stuff have more surface area and more surface area means more flavor. puff pastry and phyllo get delicious by the baker's fractal (baker's map), romanesco is just better than normal broccoli which is in turn better than brussels sprouts, and lung, properly cooked, is the tastiest part of the animal. too bad the fda banned it in america

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Caesar Saladin posted:

Its a hot debate in market, especially for movies. Usually subs have more showings for big american films, but some smaller ones are dubs only. Long tail is tricky to predict, sometimes dubs are the long tail sometimes subs.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Feb 4, 2021

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
natto is fuckin good you philistines just pour some soy sauce and hot mustard on*

*so you taste everything but the natto

signalnoise posted:

i love how it's just a little bit sweet it's my favorite flavor

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Feb 4, 2021

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_tMD5bTbLM. Checkmate smug ivory tower ooooohhh dubs bad morons. Besides subs require more effort on my part which would mean less posts and no one here wants me to post less.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Caesar Saladin posted:

The Japanese produce so much trash animation that they export a bunch of it to us, they don't have any need to import our trash animation

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Caesar Saladin posted:

I know at least for the Simpsons they gave up dubbing it because it wasn't worth the extra costs because that kind of show just doesn't work for Japanese audiences.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
raw horse rules. whale is good but strange. natto is disgusting. those haunted moving fish flake things can all go to hell

the best beef tartare I ever had was at au pied du Cauchon in Paris

my folks lived in eschborn in Germany in the 80s and my dad accidentally ordered pork tartare once. he didn't like it. but he said the germans take it super cereal and inspect the meat with a microscope prior to serving.

what thread is this?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

QuarkJets posted:

The Japanese produce so much trash animation that they export a bunch of it to us, they don't have any need to import our trash animation

sponge bob is the favorite american anime in japan

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

ikanreed posted:

The old ubisoft naruto game was really fun, it was a metroidvania fighter and it really worked as a game. From what I've seen all the others are all terrible cutscene attack trash games. They were more like the anime trash they were based on.

Rise of the Ninja was really loving cool.

Never played the sequel but I heard it was pretty alright?

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

QuarkJets posted:

false

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DeNdBKe1l0

also there is nothing trash about King of the Hill

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Offal is in fact the opposite of awful.

I don’t like fatty meat so poo poo like tongue meat ends up being my go-to. I live in Texas so (good) taquerias make the tastiest tacos with non-suburban meats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Caesar Saladin posted:

false

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DeNdBKe1l0

also there is nothing trash about King of the Hill

It's a pretty good dub actually. Arguably they're not quite the same characters but it works as a thing in and of itself.

Fur20 posted:

sponge bob is the favorite american anime in japan

This, Tom & Jerry, and Disney movies. (The white princesses sell better though :cripes:)