Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should Gaj make his own thread
This poll is closed.
Yes, make a new thread 6 54.55%
No, keep things just how they are 5 45.45%
Total: 11 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

She should be told to leave the shop, that sort of thing should not be tolerated in polite society.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Iron Crowned posted:

My parents were never openly racist, but as recently as TYOOL 2015 I have seen them make some comment and start "talk-a Chinese."

At this point they both would take a finger and pull their outer eyelids into slits, and start saying things like "ching chong ming" etc. while I look on in horror.

lol my parents have been doing this more lately. They're white. Both my sister and I are adopted Korean. :negative:

Over a Christmas zoom call with them (which they broke down into tears repeatedly about us not going home), they announced they would rather die than take the covid vaccine.

:negative:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Casu Marzu posted:

Over a Christmas zoom call with them (which they broke down into tears repeatedly about us not going home), they announced they would rather die than take the covid vaccine.

:negative:

My parents are the opposite, they got the first shot last week, and my mom immediately started planning on getting her hair done, and I'm sure a trip to Cracker Barrel is also on the menu.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
It's been a year since I've gotten a haircut so as soon as I recover from that second shot I'm getting one too.

I look like a biker with my bandana to hold my hair out of my eyes.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Iron Crowned posted:

My parents were never openly racist, but as recently as TYOOL 2015 I have seen them make some comment and start "talk-a Chinese."

At this point they both would take a finger and pull their outer eyelids into slits, and start saying things like "ching chong ming" etc. while I look on in horror.

My grandfather, a World War 2 veteran, was more progressive than this. He was OK with casual racism as long as the target of said racist remarks was out of earshot.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Beachcomber posted:

It's been a year since I've gotten a haircut so as soon as I recover from that second shot I'm getting one too.

I look like a biker with my bandana to hold my hair out of my eyes.

My last haircut was in March, and I had an undercut so I've got about half a dozen hair clips keeping everything in place and hiding it under a hat.

Meanwhile my dad back in... June was crying and moaning 'I need a haircut! I look like Doc Brown! Woe is me!' He's got just that horseshoe of hair left.

"Get [my brother] to hit it with the clippers, then!"
"No, I'll wait. I gotta support my barber."
"It'll have grown back by the time things open back up.l

The same exact conversation went on for two goddamn months.

On a call with my brother I said "Will you just clip his hair so he stops complaining? He bitches about it every call, then just goes 'No, I'll wait.'"
"Yeah, he just wants to complain, I dunno."

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

It's been my experience that silents / greatest gen are, if not more progressive, at least more open minded about "I don't understand why that's wrong but I'll accept it's impolite to do / say that now" compared to boomers. This really applies to being open to changes and new information in general.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Nooner posted:

I have printed and pinned to the wall of my cubicle

lol I did too until he died and then I kinda felt bad.

Doug Ford is former hash dealer. Everyone in Toronto knows it.

Doug owns his father's sticker business, and the two government projects he'd rolled out that involve stickers failed miserably due to defective stickers.

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020

Soylent Pudding posted:

It's been my experience that silents / greatest gen are, if not more progressive, at least more open minded about "I don't understand why that's wrong but I'll accept it's impolite to do / say that now" compared to boomers. This really applies to being open to changes and new information in general.

it's because baby boomers are the protagonists of history, and the world was created for them in the way that is perfect and should be eternally--or at least until it ends when the last one of them is gone.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
nah, its cuz the effecy of lead poisoning is strongest in younger brains and the peak was in boomers youths

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Casu Marzu posted:

That's just an amazing line of thinking.

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

know before Whom you stand

LadyPictureShow posted:

My last haircut was in March, and I had an undercut so I've got about half a dozen hair clips keeping everything in place and hiding it under a hat.

Meanwhile my dad back in... June was crying and moaning 'I need a haircut! I look like Doc Brown! Woe is me!' He's got just that horseshoe of hair left.

"Get [my brother] to hit it with the clippers, then!"
"No, I'll wait. I gotta support my barber."
"It'll have grown back by the time things open back up.l

The same exact conversation went on for two goddamn months.

On a call with my brother I said "Will you just clip his hair so he stops complaining? He bitches about it every call, then just goes 'No, I'll wait.'"
"Yeah, he just wants to complain, I dunno."
:3:

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
The only time I remember my mom using any racial slurs was when she said "You know what we used to call this kind of nut?" and laughing.

I think my father may have said "wetback" in my presence, but other than that he managed to be exceptionally racist without using slurs.

Online, though...

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Carth Dookie posted:

The microchips divert your soul to the lizard people dimension where they use it to power sex toys.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

bob dobbs is dead posted:

nah, its cuz the effecy of lead poisoning is strongest in younger brains and the peak was in boomers youths

It recently occurred to me that my worst childhood bully lived next to a pretty active general aviation airport. X-ennial, but lead is STILL used in aviation fuel.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Beachcomber posted:

The microchips divert your soul to the lizard people dimension where they use it to power sex toys.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Beachcomber posted:

What sort of sex toys?

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Beachcomber posted:

Once again, boomers making promises and not delivering. :sigh:

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Beachcomber posted:

Was out having a cig and a neighbor who is gen-X told me how the government was going to use the vaccine to put chips in all of us. now I am not the smartest man, bust jfc even I can tell you how *R*-word that idea is

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Nooner posted:

Was out having a cig and a neighbor who is gen-X told me how the government was going to use the vaccine to put chips in all of us. now I am not the smartest man, bust jfc even I can tell you how *R*-word that idea is

R word? But Presidential starts with P.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Nooner posted:

He meant Dorito chips.

You get a free sample pack when you get your vaccination.

(the Doritos contain microchips)

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Nooner posted:

If you referred to people with dark skin as "n-words" how would you expect us to react?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Carth Dookie posted:

The perfect come back to this kind of guilt tripping is to tell them you won't be able to make the funeral due to travel restrictions.

Beachcomber posted:

Does this technically count as loving? If so I need that vaccine ASAFP.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

LadyPictureShow posted:

He's got just that horseshoe of hair left.

Lol I was borderline in the process of male pattern baldness at the start of this where it was starting to look like I was pushing it.

$30 clippers, #1 buzz, wife likes the look, I like the look, combine with growing a well trimmed and groomed beard, never going to a barber again.

If I could snap my fingers and have back the luxurious locks I had at 20 years old? Sure. But as long as I don't look like poo poo I don't really give a poo poo. I'm a technician, not a Hollywood actor. I think the window for that has passed.

Just get your buzz buzz on gents.

Granted, bit of a tougher situation for the ladies.

The Butcher fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Feb 4, 2021

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Nooner posted:

yo ftr using the slur as a slur but technically you're saying r-word so we just have to think of the slur ourselves is the same as if you just used the slur, you're neither funny nor cute with this

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM killed Masen

poisonpill posted:

Great a killing Nazis and great at raising Nazis.

They were tough on their kids kuz they had it rough going out as youngins to kill nazis, their kids rebelled by being nazi sympathizers that raised nazi kids/grandkids. But, honestly plenty of 'our boys' in WWII were racist as gently caress dudes irl and just went kuz they had to, they came back still racist but now gently caress'd in the head from years of misery and simultaneously beat their kids and spouted racist poo poo out of ptsd or atsd combined with being raised by people that were racist as gently caress... the only solution is to beat the poo poo out of nazis/racists in front of your kids then buy them an ice cream so they see the rewards of doing right.

just my thoughts on it, also i'm not saying everyone just that some this did/does apply to.

Leon Einstein posted:

Starting a job at 18 and working 30 years and then retiring around 50 with millions of dollars and thinking it was because you just worked harder than the generations after you.

Building a paradise that excludes old people from benefits, whilst also excluding anyone that didn't help build it, and blocking newer generations from getting in on it.

nesamdoom fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Feb 4, 2021

number 1 snake fan
Jul 16, 2018

Nooner posted:

even I can tell you how *R*-word that idea is

Really, dude? :wrong:

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Batterypowered7 posted:

R word? But Presidential starts with P.

The word you'd be looking for in that instance would be 'rapist,' an adjective with a long history of occupying the oval office.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Using slurs but pretending you "Didn't mean it that way." is peak boomer.

Lib and let die posted:

The word you'd be looking for in that instance would be 'rapist,' an adjective with a long history of occupying the oval office.

:vince:

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Nooner posted:

I'm literally 52, but this post is so tone deaf that I'm compelled to say...

ok boomer.

e: lol, nooner boomer or boomer nooner, whatever fits.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Feb 4, 2021

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Boomers love to go to "The Dance" every week where they see the same blues band play the same songs and then the following day call everyone who was there and give a play by play of everything and then talk poo poo about anyone they know who wasn't at "The Dance" that week.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Chief McHeath posted:

Boomers love to go to "The Dance" every week where they see the same blues band play the same songs and then the following day call everyone who was there and give a play by play of everything and then talk poo poo about anyone they know who wasn't at "The Dance" that week.

I used to bartend at a series of "Sunday dances" at the hall I belong to that were basically this, but for local country bands.

It'd be the same group of mostly-boomer people who show up to hear these bands and dance to their music. I was on the executive committee that ran the hall at the time, and one of the guys that was a big fan of doing these dances would say how they're getting whatever band to appear and how they have a huge local following, and... I really didn't get it. They almost always sounded exactly the same with the same songs.

They were also cheap as poo poo and barely drank, so I'd be lucky to make $30 in the till for 4-5 hours from almost nothing but pop and the occasional bottled water -- they were mostly fans of just the free tap water with ice.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Boomers seem to love social events that exist entirely for the sake of standing around gossiping and forming cliques with people exactly like themselves.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Chief McHeath posted:

Do they still have those dances that boomer parents chaperoned their kids to? I remember we'd have one like once a month in the community center and it would be the most hype thing for the popular kids to talk about leading up to the night of the dance.

I went once and it was just lined with boomer parents hanging around the edges of the dance floor watching their kids.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Fried Watermelon posted:

Do they still have those dances that boomer parents chaperoned their kids to? I remember we'd have one like once a month in the community center and it would be the most hype thing for the popular kids to talk about leading up to the night of the dance.

I went once and it was just lined with boomer parents hanging around the edges of the dance floor watching their kids.

i went to one of these in like 8th grade cause i was totally crushing on the girl that invited a bunch of people.

turns out it was a giant religious thing so... yeah

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

wesleywillis posted:

What sort of sex toys?

They're gay^3, a concept beyond human understanding.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

mojo1701a posted:

I used to bartend at a series of "Sunday dances" at the hall I belong to that were basically this, but for local country bands.

It'd be the same group of mostly-boomer people who show up to hear these bands and dance to their music. I was on the executive committee that ran the hall at the time, and one of the guys that was a big fan of doing these dances would say how they're getting whatever band to appear and how they have a huge local following, and... I really didn't get it. They almost always sounded exactly the same with the same songs.

They were also cheap as poo poo and barely drank, so I'd be lucky to make $30 in the till for 4-5 hours from almost nothing but pop and the occasional bottled water -- they were mostly fans of just the free tap water with ice.

I have been in these bands. We made anywhere from $50-$200 a night (each) plus free drinks. I liked the guys I played with and we all had real jobs so its not like we were planning on being discovered or anything. We didn't have a following or anything but we did have a usual crowd of friends, some other musicians we knew, plus band wives and girlfriends. If you are a band that can bring a consistent crowd you can do pretty well by asking for a percentage of the door (cover charge) and the bar will love it because its guaranteed business for them.

It's a pretty easy gig actually but you have to know the crowd. No one is coming to a VFW to hear your band do Rush and Yes covers, they just want to dance and have fun. So you play You Shook Me All Night long and Mustang Sally and follow it up with Wonderful Tonight so everyone can slow dance. This experience also taught me that people will line dance to anything, whether it's Boot Scoot Boogie or Melt With You by Modern English.

Are there more bad nights then good? Oh God yes. Have we played to 4 people in a bar on a Sunday night? Yes. Did I have several, saggy, biker bitch titties flashed at me? Yes.

Why do all the bands play the same songs? Because if we don't we'll just have drunks shouting "PLAY BROWN EYED GIRL DAMMIT!" after every song.

Not a single one of us was sober however. Three of the guys in the band would pop pills (opiates mostly) between sets and I would drink anything handed to me.

I don't really miss it. You have no idea how depressing a bar is until you've been in one from 9pm-4am.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Bonzo posted:

I have been in these bands. We made anywhere from $50-$200 a night (each) plus free drinks. I liked the guys I played with and we all had real jobs so its not like we were planning on being discovered or anything. We didn't have a following or anything but we did have a usual crowd of friends, some other musicians we knew, plus band wives and girlfriends. If you are a band that can bring a consistent crowd you can do pretty well by asking for a percentage of the door (cover charge) and the bar will love it because its guaranteed business for them.

It's a pretty easy gig actually but you have to know the crowd. No one is coming to a VFW to hear your band do Rush and Yes covers, they just want to dance and have fun. So you play You Shook Me All Night long and Mustang Sally and follow it up with Wonderful Tonight so everyone can slow dance. This experience also taught me that people will line dance to anything, whether it's Boot Scoot Boogie or Melt With You by Modern English.

Are there more bad nights then good? Oh God yes. Have we played to 4 people in a bar on a Sunday night? Yes. Did I have several, saggy, biker bitch titties flashed at me? Yes.

Why do all the bands play the same songs? Because if we don't we'll just have drunks shouting "PLAY BROWN EYED GIRL DAMMIT!" after every song.

Not a single one of us was sober however. Three of the guys in the band would pop pills (opiates mostly) between sets and I would drink anything handed to me.

I don't really miss it. You have no idea how depressing a bar is until you've been in one from 9pm-4am.

i've done that gig, too, but it was deejaying weddings. usually in a VFW hall or quonset "hunter's club". if you don't play what the drunken hillbillies ask for you'll have to fight them later in the parking lot so spin up those golden oldies :)

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Bonzo posted:

Anyone ever call it the Poop Chute boogie?
How often was there that guy screaming out "Play some Skynrd"!!?

I like music, and I like bands, but in the before times, the bar down the street from me, would have bands on Saturday nights, and they were so fuckin loud.

Its not a big place for the love of allah, why do bar bands feel the need to turn the volume up to 17?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

wesleywillis posted:

Anyone ever call it the Poop Chute boogie?
How often was there that guy screaming out "Play some Skynrd"!!?

I like music, and I like bands, but in the before times, the bar down the street from me, would have bands on Saturday nights, and they were so fuckin loud.

Its not a big place for the love of allah, why do bar bands feel the need to turn the volume up to 17?

People who are talking aren't drinking.