Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

extremebuff posted:

the karaoke games in yakuza just keep getting harder. i felt like a god after I hit every single note on a song in 2, it gave me 63/100 and called me a drunk

Get good, queef.

https://twitter.com/synthyzone/status/1356810549879857156

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Majima everywhere is a cool concept but it kinda sucks lol. At least you get stronger every time i guess

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
I "messed up" the majima everywhere concept by just never going the bar (?) or whatever that he tried to lure you too in like the 2nd or 3rd encounter so I didn't deal with it for the rest of the game. It's a good way to not deal with that I guess if you think you'd find it annoying.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Majima everywhere is a cool concept but it kinda sucks lol. At least you get stronger every time i guess

Yup lol. Everyone has the same complaint it seems, but eventually when you learn all the fights he's just a fat xp balloon so w/e

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

It’s cool when you’re still seeing new stuff and some of my favorite content in the game is from Majima Everywhere, but once the new encounters run out and he’s just jumping out at you out of nowhere with 8 health bars every 20 feet it becomes really tedious.

When I unlocked the point of no return and started running over to finish the game I ended up quitting and finishing the next day because his fully maxed-out version jumped out at me 3 times before I’d even made it halfway to the objective

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

It’s cool when you’re still seeing new stuff and some of my favorite content in the game is from Majima Everywhere, but once the new encounters run out and he’s just jumping out at you out of nowhere with 8 health bars every 20 feet it becomes really tedious.

When I unlocked the point of no return and started running over to finish the game I ended up quitting and finishing the next day because his fully maxed-out version jumped out at me 3 times before I’d even made it halfway to the objective

Lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Majima beat you.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

That sounds really poo poo. Now I'm glad I missed out on that mechanic

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

In Training posted:

Majima beat you.

:hai:

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
i just cheesed it with staminans and heat moves, repetitive af but ez

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

:stare:

uh... maybe I'll just stay in the disco

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

e: dohblepost

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
majima everywhere is only in kiwami 1 you dont need to worry aboyt it yet

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

heehee posted:

i just cheesed it with staminans and heat moves, repetitive af but ez

yeah it's not difficult or anything just tedious when I'm trying to give this dog water

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haruka wants me to get 500 points in koi koi gently caress this

Brass Hand
Feb 27, 2020
The worst thing about Majima Everywhere is that the one you want is never the one that appears. Everybody’s Idol Majima was so hard to spawn.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

This is why you stock up on expensive weapons and just kill him immediately on sight

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

i still haven't cleared Yakuza 0 because every time i start it i just beeline to the mahjong parlor and once i'm sick of that i just go for the other minigames. i'll never beat this game lol.

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

heehee posted:

Lol yup.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

This is why you stock up on expensive weapons and just kill him immediately on sight

I had to look up how to bring weapons out in Kiwami 1.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

She has insanely high standards for a 10-year-old. I never got my relationship too high with her because I couldn’t do a perfect golf game and she would accept nothing less. If you’re not a golfing god you don’t deserve to be a dad

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

A childhood spent playing Mario golf, tiger woods, and hotshots served me well for the golf mini game.

Koi koi was definitely the most irritating because I could never remember what any of the cards were. I’m just thankful they didn’t make an ultra hard mahjong one lol, don’t think I would have maxed out the relationship if there was

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

heehee posted:

koi koi kicks rear end, fool. also the trick is to go into settings and change it to a 12 round game and play on easy

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Yeah I had no trouble with koi somehow, I think I just got really lucky. I tried playing it again later in Yakuza 7 and had no loving idea what was going on

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

cried on stream because I thought i would just understand mahjong as I played it

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

koi koi looks more complicated than it is for sure. the actual game is pretty straightforward and imo really fun

there are 12 suits of cards, one for each month. each suit has i think two low-value junk cards, one poetry ribbon card, one special card, and some suits have super special cards. both players are dealt a hand of cards and then a common tableau is dealt out in the middle. starting with the dealer each player alternates putting a card from their hand out. if the card matches the suit of a card in the tableau, you add both to your score pile, otherwise you tack it onto the tableau. then you deal a card from the top, if it matches something you score those two cards, otherwise it goes into the tableau. if you have a scoring set of cards in your score pile, you can either call koi or not. if you dont call koi, round ends and you score points for your score pile, opponent gets nothing. if you call koi the hype music comes in and you keep playing, which gives your opponent a chance to gently caress you by not calling koi, but lets you get more points and get a point multiplier by getting more hands.

common hands:
junk - get ten or more of the junk cards, worth one point for ten cards and ten more for each card past ten
poetry ribbons - get any five poetry ribbons, plus one point for each one past
variety - get any five special cards (ones with birds, deer, boar, etc. on it)

less common but higher scoring hands
three or four lights - get three or more of the super special cards (enormous bird, cherry blossom box, ibis, moon over the hills). if you get three and also the guy walking in the rain, it's rainy three lights and worth more points. get all four and the rain man and it's five lights and worth ten points.
cherry blossom viewing/moon viewing - the sake cup and either the cherry blossom box or the moon over the hills. this hand is easy to get and also worth a lot, so always try to snap up the sake cup (little red cup) whenever you can
boar, deer, butterfly - super uncommon unless someone's not paying attention. always try to get at least one of these three cards to stop your opponent from getting it
red/blue poetry ribbons - probably the easiest less common hand, get three ribbons of matching colors

i try to prioritize getting the sake cup first because the viewing hands are super strong, then the super special cards. after that i look at my hand and see if it's going to be easiest for me to get junk, poetry ribbons, or variety and go for that. if i've got 2+ red/blue ribbon cards or any two of the boar/deer/butterfly with matching cards in the tableau i try for that, otherwise i usually end up shooting for one of the three low-scoring hands. i usually call koi when i get a hand if i've got five or more cards left and don't if i have fewer, unless my opponent has a crazy multiplier going in which case i shut him down ASAP

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

extremebuff posted:

cried on stream because I thought i would just understand mahjong as I played it

lmfao. i think i told the story once of my buddy trying that irl once playing for pennies. long story short he ended up losing a hundred bucks over like two hours

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

extremebuff posted:

lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

extremebuff posted:

Lol

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Fungah! posted:

koi koi looks more complicated than it is for sure. the actual game is pretty straightforward and imo really fun

there are 12 suits of cards, one for each month. each suit has i think two low-value junk cards, one poetry ribbon card, one special card, and some suits have super special cards. both players are dealt a hand of cards and then a common tableau is dealt out in the middle. starting with the dealer each player alternates putting a card from their hand out. if the card matches the suit of a card in the tableau, you add both to your score pile, otherwise you tack it onto the tableau. then you deal a card from the top, if it matches something you score those two cards, otherwise it goes into the tableau. if you have a scoring set of cards in your score pile, you can either call koi or not. if you dont call koi, round ends and you score points for your score pile, opponent gets nothing. if you call koi the hype music comes in and you keep playing, which gives your opponent a chance to gently caress you by not calling koi, but lets you get more points and get a point multiplier by getting more hands.

common hands:
junk - get ten or more of the junk cards, worth one point for ten cards and ten more for each card past ten
poetry ribbons - get any five poetry ribbons, plus one point for each one past
variety - get any five special cards (ones with birds, deer, boar, etc. on it)

less common but higher scoring hands
three or four lights - get three or more of the super special cards (enormous bird, cherry blossom box, ibis, moon over the hills). if you get three and also the guy walking in the rain, it's rainy three lights and worth more points. get all four and the rain man and it's five lights and worth ten points.
cherry blossom viewing/moon viewing - the sake cup and either the cherry blossom box or the moon over the hills. this hand is easy to get and also worth a lot, so always try to snap up the sake cup (little red cup) whenever you can
boar, deer, butterfly - super uncommon unless someone's not paying attention. always try to get at least one of these three cards to stop your opponent from getting it
red/blue poetry ribbons - probably the easiest less common hand, get three ribbons of matching colors

i try to prioritize getting the sake cup first because the viewing hands are super strong, then the super special cards. after that i look at my hand and see if it's going to be easiest for me to get junk, poetry ribbons, or variety and go for that. if i've got 2+ red/blue ribbon cards or any two of the boar/deer/butterfly with matching cards in the tableau i try for that, otherwise i usually end up shooting for one of the three low-scoring hands. i usually call koi when i get a hand if i've got five or more cards left and don't if i have fewer, unless my opponent has a crazy multiplier going in which case i shut him down ASAP

im gonna need a 99 cent steam game with anime girls to get me to follow this

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Bolverkur posted:

i still haven't cleared Yakuza 0 because every time i start it i just beeline to the mahjong parlor and once i'm sick of that i just go for the other minigames. i'll never beat this game lol.

lol yeah. i feel like once i start doing the karaoke, i'm going to hit a difficulty wall and spend weeks playing Guitar Hero: 1980s Japan (Dual Shock 4 Edition) instead of advancing the story at all. even the loving baseball mini-game is hard but addictive. the mini-games being so varied and feeling difficult but fair, as well as there being like 18 legitimate ways to engage with the combat, is probably what makes this so addictive. it's a beat-em-up with a lot of simple but well designed mini games.

Brass Hand
Feb 27, 2020
Wait till you get to play wholesome children’s card games like Mesuking in Kiwami 1

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

lol, I was getting ready to wrap up disco form the night and thought I'd turn in some completion points at the shrine. on the way I got roped into a tv shoot and then when I tried to find a phone booth to save that I got roped into a high school argument that led to a panties selling ring next to a stop and frisk failure police officer. this game is like After Hours when it's not the main story. I love it. thank you, imp zone

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

lol, I was getting ready to wrap up disco form the night and thought I'd turn in some completion points at the shrine. on the way I got roped into a tv shoot and then when I tried to find a phone booth to save that I got roped into a high school argument that led to a panties selling ring next to a stop and frisk failure police officer. this game is like After Hours when it's not the main story. I love it. thank you, imp zone

lol, when all the sub stories start firing its so awesome

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

lmfao god drat y3 is a ps2 rear end game

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

heehee posted:

lol can't wait to play it

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Majima Everywhere is sorta like a forced metal king slime fight if he never ran away. It's easy to beat his rear end down using the specific heat moves on him when he's winded, and I'm getting like 50k xp for each fight lol, so for now I'm enjoying it. Got Damage Up 4 already.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't like tone shift in chapter eight if Y7 with my favorite party member 😾

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

heehee posted:

It's actually real good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

heehee posted:

Yep. Put that poo poo on easy and enjoy the main story.