Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Screaming Idiot posted:

I tried to watch Ren and Stimpy recently, and boy, it sucked.

despite the fact that John K is a garbage piece of poo poo, the episodes he worked on are the only ones that hold up.

because John K is a garbage piece of poo poo, R&S Adult Party Cartoon is one of the worst cartoons I've ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RavenousScoot
Mar 22, 2013

Doug forgets to do laundry and spends the rest of the day trying to decide by playing out fantasies whether he should

go commando and risk ripping his pants and have rodger shoot a tiktok making fun of his penis that goes viral (but then rodger gets busted for distributing underage nudes)

OR go in old lovely drawers but Patti might think he's stinky

Stingwing
Mar 26, 2010

Thank you Mr President for Making America Great Again! USA #1! I shouldn't have to understand other cultures, I'm a god damn American hero.

Fabulousity posted:

Still wonder to this day how Rocko producers got the "Spank the Monkey" board game and Heifer having sex with a milking machine gags past censors. I think the latter got clipped out of reruns eventually but it definitely aired early on.
There's also this scene, which was cut at some point but survived on an early VHS release:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoT8wtUWnwA

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Man if my parents had ever sat down to watch tv with me when I was a kid and hadn't been pathologically averse to ever being in the same room as a cartoon they probably would have loled at a lot of stuff

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Fabulousity posted:

Still wonder to this day how Rocko producers got the "Spank the Monkey" board game and Heifer having sex with a milking machine gags past censors. I think the latter got clipped out of reruns eventually but it definitely aired early on.

As long as we're doing extended universe stuff: While Doug would go on to become a goon of one shade or another Roger went on to cause the 2008 economic collapse and got filthy rich doing it.

Roger was already rich, inbetween Nick and Disney versions of Doug his mom wins the lottery.

Pretty good posted:

Also the name of the fast food joint

Which evidently caught someone's attention because in later episodes it was reworked

They brought it back for the Netflix special though

The best joke about the chicken place is the short bit where a chicken is interviewing for a job there and then they get killed, processed and their meat is packaged up.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?

Of course the Nick logo even looks like cum

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Fors Yard posted:

and was around the same time as this commercial (I think) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4yOtuqMplU

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Fors Yard posted:

Nickeloadeon

Stingwing
Mar 26, 2010

Thank you Mr President for Making America Great Again! USA #1! I shouldn't have to understand other cultures, I'm a god damn American hero.

muscles like this! posted:

Roger was already rich, inbetween Nick and Disney versions of Doug his mom wins the lottery.

The best joke about the chicken place is the short bit where a chicken is interviewing for a job there and then they get killed, processed and their meat is packaged up.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I liked the joke about Mrs. Bighead calling up Rocko at the sex hotline gig.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Fabulousity posted:

As long as we're doing extended universe stuff: While Doug would go on to become a goon of one shade or another Roger went on to cause the 2008 economic collapse and got filthy rich doing it.

The way I heard it the censors were too busy losing their minds at Ren and Stimpy to pay much attention to anything else.

Been said elsewhere, but one of the fun things with Rocko is that most funny talking animal shows just ignore the whole predator/prey dynamic outside of jokes, Rocko embraces it and makes it an even more on the nose metaphor for predatory capitalism and atomisation. As some other poster put it; Virginia Wolf will invite you to dinner to serve as a guest or as the main course depending on her needs, and Heffer was literally brought home as food but they decided to adopt him. Not exactly a long stretch to have a fast food chain literally serving its employees as food to be devoured by customers, and a nuclear family considers anyone outside of it a threat or a target.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Batterypowered7 posted:

You don't have to watch Evangelion. You really don't.

Says who?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Pretty good posted:

Man if my parents had ever sat down to watch tv with me when I was a kid and hadn't been pathologically averse to ever being in the same room as a cartoon they probably would have loled at a lot of stuff

My dad used to snicker at a lot of jokes I didn't get (like Chokey Chicken and Spank the Monkey)

Zushio
May 8, 2008
I feel roughly the same way about Catdog as I do Cow & Chicken.

Entertaining, but deeply disturbing in a way young me couldn't understand.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Catdog was real bottom of the barrel garbage, the only thing worse was butt ugly Martians.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Was Mindy and the Vampire or whatever it was called one of those What A Cartoons? I remember liking that one

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Yeah, Mina and the Count. It got a couple of episodes and it was pretty cute. Shame it didn't get picked up, but we kind got it with Billy & Mandy?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I was going to say, it definitely felt like proto Billy and Mandy. Was it the same people?

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The way I heard it the censors were too busy losing their minds at Ren and Stimpy to pay much attention to anything else.

Been said elsewhere, but one of the fun things with Rocko is that most funny talking animal shows just ignore the whole predator/prey dynamic outside of jokes, Rocko embraces it and makes it an even more on the nose metaphor for predatory capitalism and atomisation. As some other poster put it; Virginia Wolf will invite you to dinner to serve as a guest or as the main course depending on her needs, and Heffer was literally brought home as food but they decided to adopt him. Not exactly a long stretch to have a fast food chain literally serving its employees as food to be devoured by customers, and a nuclear family considers anyone outside of it a threat or a target.

Dunno why but this suddenly made it click for me: Rocko's Modern Life and Bojack Horseman exist in the same universe.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Something they used to do Back Then is put an obviously unacceptable joke in to draw attention from the more subtle ones they actually wanted to sneak past the censors, but sometimes for reasons they'd veto the subtle one but not the enormous penis.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Heath posted:

I was going to say, it definitely felt like proto Billy and Mandy. Was it the same people?

Doesn't look like it, surprisingly. Though the guy who created it worked on a bunch of stuff (apparently he and Genndy Tartakovsky were roommates at Cal Arts and work together still) and he's now directing and producing.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Volcott posted:

Something they used to do Back Then is put an obviously unacceptable joke in to draw attention from the more subtle ones they actually wanted to sneak past the censors, but sometimes for reasons they'd veto the subtle one but not the enormous penis.
The most egregious example of this kind of thing is probably the part in Animal House where one of the characters hooks up with a girl and the writers wanted the punchline of the scene to be "I lied to you too, I'm only 17", but they were worried it'd get nixed so they changed it to "I'm only 13", figuring that once it got caught they could placate the affronted studio execs by agreeing to age her up... but the "I'm only 13" line got waved through unchanged :stonklol:

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
That's the most perfect summary of Hollywood power dynamics I've ever heard.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

Sgt. Politeness posted:

When he gets a remake I'll update the drat list!

But for real though as much as I love a thread devoted to dragging Doug because he sucks it's still a better show than half(?) of the 80s action figure advertising cartoons. (As was mentioned earlier in the thread)
Probably just above TMNT, which is miles ahead of He-Man and She-Ra but still under Transformers and Ghostbusters.

No one will ever buy a Doug battle car with Viking Porkchop or a Cowabunga Cowboy Skeeter action figure.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

AmbientParadox posted:

No one will ever buy a Doug battle car with Viking Porkchop or a Cowabunga Cowboy Skeeter action figure.

Is kinda funny how after the 80s, it's pretty much only the various Transformers series that keep up the 'half hour toy commercial' format, to the point where the My Little Pony reboot was almost novel for it, while most 90s cartoons didn't even bother. (And a few attempts at reviving the model failed, He-Man 2002 was apparently well liked but cancelled because the toys didn't sell, and Symbionic Titan was cancelled because the toy deal fell through. Ben 10 apparently moves tons of merch, though) Maybe they learned about oversaturation and stuck to one heavily marketed franchise at a time.

It does get funny when goons occasionally dismiss shows like Steven Universe as just being ads for toys, when people struggled to find literally any merch of it when it was at the peak of its popularity and resorted to making their own, or collecting actual gemstones.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I've never seen anyone criticize Steven Universe for being a merch pusher. Most of the criticism of the show I've seen is that it's... Sappy? Or something? I've never seen it.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
SU was a show that wasn't specifically targeting boys 7-13, so it wasn't produced with toyecticness in mind. Execs somehow have it in their heads that girls don't buy toys, so they're less likely to merchandise a girl show and even less likely to do it for a show without a gendered demographic because... kids won't buy toys if too many members of the opposite sex like the show or something. Note the exception to this rule is preschool demo shows.

Anyways, girls don't buy toys and somehow Disney princess stuff brings in $1 billion+ a year, :iiam:.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I think that's mainly due to CN's executives being really bad at their job.

The whole way the last couple of seasons of SU were handled was insane. With months of nothing and then 10 episodes in a single day, and then months of nothing again.

I'm no TV-ologist, but that seems like a recipe for 0 viewer retention. It's not like all the SU watchers were gonna tune in to watch the billionth rerun of Teen Titans Go if there wasn't gonna be an episode of the show they actually wanted to watch attached to it.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Is kinda funny how after the 80s, it's pretty much only the various Transformers series that keep up the 'half hour toy commercial' format, to the point where the My Little Pony reboot was almost novel for it, while most 90s cartoons didn't even bother. (And a few attempts at reviving the model failed, He-Man 2002 was apparently well liked but cancelled because the toys didn't sell, and Symbionic Titan was cancelled because the toy deal fell through. Ben 10 apparently moves tons of merch, though) Maybe they learned about oversaturation and stuck to one heavily marketed franchise at a time.

There was a pretty big pushback against the cartoon-as-commercial in the late-80s-early-90s at the political level that is probably more responsible for this. Guidelines were changed so that cartoons had to include at least some portion of their material that could be construed as educational or instructive, hence the little shorts in GI Joe that talked about fire safety or whatever. Animaniacs famously lampooned it with the Wheel of Morality sketches.

Here's an NYT article from 1983 that specifically references that lovely Rubik's Cube cartoon someone posted upthread.

quote:

The issue arose when Action for Children's Television complained to the Federal Communications Commission that eight network programs, all shown on Saturday mornings, were ''program-length advertisements.'' They were based on toys or games - Rubik's Cube, for example, or Dungeons and Dragons. Therefore, Action for Children's Television said, they are really commercials for the toys or games. The Massachusetts-based public-interest group further complained that at least six syndicated programs were based on toys or games, too. It said the programs were inimical to an earlier F.C.C. ruling that program-length commercials represented ''a serious dereliction of duty'' by broadcasters.

It's messing with me to think of a world in which giant broadcasting corporations were considered to have a duty from which to be derelict

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Action_for_Children%27s_Television posted:

In 1981, then-President Ronald Reagan had appointed Mark S. Fowler as chairman of the FCC. As Fowler, a longtime proponent of deregulation, had determined that children's television should be dictated by the marketplace, that year saw the cancellation of many long-standing and Emmy-winning shows such as Captain Kangaroo, Schoolhouse Rock, Kids Are People Too!, Animals, Animals, Animals, and the CBS Children's Film Festival, all of which ACT had vigorously fought to keep on the air. It also saw the debut of many toy-inspired programs, which ACT contended were nothing more than half-hour commercials: G. I. Joe, My Little Pony, The Transformers, M.A.S.K., He-Man and the Masters of the Universe, and the controversial Captain Power and the Soldiers of the Future.

Throughout the 1980s, ACT criticized television programs that featured popular toys such as G. I. Joe and He-Man, maintaining that they "blur(red) the distinction between program content and commercial speech," and successfully barred Garbage Pail Kids from the air. It also opposed the proposed introduction of Channel One News, a television news show featuring advertiser-based programming, into the schools, an effort which met with only limited success.

ACT brought many cases before the courts, including Action for Children's Television v. FCC, 821 F.2d 741 (D.C. Cir. 1987) often cited in media law.[12]

ACT's efforts culminated in the passage of the Children's Television Act of 1990, establishing formal guidelines for children's programming, including rules governing advertising, content and quantity.[13]

I remember reading about this as a teenager and thinking these must have been a bunch of overbearing nannies who wanted to stomp out cool stuff like He-Man, but with hindsight and going back to watch 80s cartoons as an adult, holy gently caress they were right. It was almost unilaterally garbage. Especially when you hold them up next to all the programming that they list here which got cancelled. I remember seeing Captain Kangaroo in reruns and loving it. Same with Mr. Rogers.

Heath fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Feb 4, 2021

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Das Boo posted:

I liked the joke about Mrs. Bighead calling up Rocko at the sex hotline gig.

There was an entire episode of Mrs. Bighead very unsubtly trying to seduce Rocko. I remember she asks Rocko if he likes her eyes and when he says yes her eyes bulge out and look like tits and she demands Rocko touch them.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Empty Sandwich posted:

because John K is a garbage piece of poo poo, R&S Adult Party Cartoon is one of the worst cartoons I've ever seen.

Man, talk about absolute garbage that made it on TV. Adult Party Cartoon was a half hour of “how trashy can this get this without actually telling a joke or having a plot or meaning?” The answer was always never enough, apparently.

That whole *SPIKE TV FOR MANLY MEN GRRRRRRRR EAT A CAR MUFFLER AND poo poo OUT BULLETS MEN MEN MEN STEAK AND EGGS AND COFFEE AND CHOLESTEROL AND BEARDS MEEEENNNN!* toxic animated programming block and era of Spike TV before it channel drifted and became home to CSI rerun marathons was just embarrassing. Who even remembers Gary the Rat or Stripperella? Who brings up Ren & Stimpy Adult Party Cartoon with nostalgic fondness? The answer is no one.

I wanna say it was just as bad as Allen Gregory, but Allen Gregory actually gives me a bad visceral reaction from just thinking about it :argh:

You Are A Werewolf fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Feb 4, 2021

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Doug saves up enough chore money to buy his first car, he refuses to ever use the turn signal and he can't figure out how to parallel park so he just uses handicapped spaces instead. This is portrayed in an endearing light until Patti's dad can't use a handicapped space that Doug has taken. Doug and his dog fall over laughing and the episode ends

bartok
May 10, 2006

I think Ren and Stimpy got better when Bob Camp took over for the pedophile John K. Speaking of John K. how mad do you think that pedophile was at the Animaniacs reboot and the news that Tiny Toon Adventures is getting a reboot?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Volcott posted:

This is how the infamous "finger Prince" joke from Animaniacs came to be.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I watched the first episode of adult party cartoon and it was basically just nothing but daring the viewer to stop watching. The funniest thing to come out of it is the phrase "adult party cartoon".

Heath posted:

I remember reading about this as a teenager and thinking these must have been a bunch of overbearing nannies who wanted to stomp out cool stuff like He-Man, but with hindsight and going back to watch 80s cartoons as an adult, holy gently caress they were right. It was almost unilaterally garbage. Especially when you hold them up next to all the programming that they list here which got cancelled. I remember seeing Captain Kangaroo in reruns and loving it. Same with Mr. Rogers.

Yeah, I loved those action figure cartoons as a little kid but if you watch them as an adult it's pretty evident how awful they were. A lot of them had cool background art at least.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

You Are A Elf posted:

Gary the Rat

I just googled this and its so funny that Kelsey Grammar is the voice of this piece of poo poo cartoon

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

kelsey grammar is the guy who was married to that real housewife

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Kelsey Grammer will suck poops right out of your b-hole for a bottle of vodka and you promise to tell him he looks pretty doing it

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Been said in the Frasier thread: the brundlefly of Frasier and It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia is Kelsey Grammer's actual life.

Guy has a horrifically, absurdly tragic backstory and has married like seven strippers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

bartok posted:

I think Ren and Stimpy got better when Bob Camp took over for the pedophile John K. Speaking of John K. how mad do you think that pedophile was at the Animaniacs reboot and the news that Tiny Toon Adventures is getting a reboot?

Tiny Toons is getting a reboot and notoriously awful pedophile John K is mad about it? Today is a fantastic day.