Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Oh no, please make an alternate ending where Bobby takes the skull home and it lives happily ever after on the mantelpiece or something :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob with a side of ABUSE. :gonk:

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Imagine this being the first Tinkersons you read. :allears:

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I fell out of this thread for a while so I didn't know this was going to be a recurring thing so I'm curious. What's up with Helen? Did she try to kill the dad before or something?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Twelve by Pies posted:

I fell out of this thread for a while so I didn't know this was going to be a recurring thing so I'm curious. What's up with Helen? Did she try to kill the dad before or something?

She did a murder and went on the run from the law, but then the case was dropped due to mishandled evidence. I can't remember why she'd be angry at Ted specifically.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Strontium posted:

Dark Side of the Horse

Webcomic plagiarism chat is going in at least three threads, so this amused me.

(reusing simple gags is perfectly fine even if you know that someone has done it before)

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Tiggum posted:

She did a murder and went on the run from the law, but then the case was dropped due to mishandled evidence. I can't remember why she'd be angry at Ted specifically.
He did the right thing and turned her in rather than help her escape. :colbert:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

catlord posted:

Axa

And that's it for The Brave! Strong start, not a great ending, but hey, she's got herself a horny robot now.

Over/under on Axa loving the robot? I say twelve pages (48 strips).

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
I apologise for the double-post, I clicked "reply" on the previous one way too early, and it's too late to edit it now.

Classic Kevin & Kell (May 31 - June 4, 1999)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 2/3/01

As Kliban has taught us, never eat anything bigger than your head.

Brenda Starr 10/29-31/45

Smokey Stover 5/28/39

All of that, and no "addressing the ball" pun? You're slipping, Holman.

Richard's Poor Almanac

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Slammy posted:

Oaky Doaks (August 7, 1935)

This is suitable-for-framing fantastic.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Julet Esqu posted:

There are so many ways that this could go wrong.

A Storage Shed! I'll squat in it! NO ONE WILL EVER KNOW!

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

oh god, they thought of the common private household definition of storage ("a room for the stuff we never need") and assumed it for a place of business' storage ("a room for the stuff we need all the time"), didn't they

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

EasyEW posted:

Toonerville Folks (February 10-12, 1917)

Ah, Katrinka. :allears:

Moominposting

Tiggum posted:

While she was on the run she asked the dad for help escaping (while hiding in a bush.) and he immediately turned her in.
So he's probably super worried she'll stalkerkill him, as she was showing some interest in him before the whole murder thing cropped up, I believe.

SubNat fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Feb 4, 2021

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Mikl posted:

Classic Kevin & Kell (May 31 - June 4, 1999)

1. Toilet seat jokes were ancient even in 1999.
2. Kell screaming curses at Kevin feels so loving weird.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

In today's Blueberry: Oh, NOW that you don't have Graig around to offer platitudes, you're willing to listen to the more level-headed people?!, or Blueberry to the rescue!, or Now, in the original book, the term 'Indaaɫigáí' wasn't used - instead it was 'Bluecoat' - and unfortunately, there's a lot of that type of language used in this story. I'm gonna try and use more accurate terms where I can find them, but I confess as a complete amateur, I may mess up. The Chiricahua people are a group of native Americans residing in the New Mexico/Arizona region and include Apache tribes, hence me feeling that this was the more appropriate term. If people feel this is me being too editorial, or if my corrections are far too inaccurate, I'll stop

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1946

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Since this week's Tinkersons arc is garnering some extra attention, let's recap the workplace story so far!

Before Helen started working at Ed n' Sons, there was Robert the Consultant. He was reviled by our hero Mr. Ted Tinkerson.

Robert was eaten by a shark.

(That doesn't have much to do with anything, but it helps establish the tone of the workplace comix.)

October 2018. Helen is first introduced as Ted's boss.

Foreshadowing?

November 2018. Helen gets Ted a promotion.

December 2018. Helen shows up at the bar. Mrs Tinkerson gets jealous immediately.

December 2018. Helen is fired. No reason given. Ted seems to imply he did not like Helen, but we have not been shown a reason to dislike her.

January 2019. A chance encounter between Ted and Helen.

May 2019. Helen appears to have gotten a new job in a similar business as she's at the same trade convention in Orlando as Mr Tink.

August 2019. Helen returns to work at Ed n' Sons. Ted expresses more overt displeasure.

I could read into her body language in this strip, but I won't.

September 2019. Ted is uneasy around Helen. Probably because she's his superior and he's bad at his job.

This is getting very long so I'll split this post in two.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (June 4, 2009)

Arlo and Janis Classic (June 4, 1999)

Garfield Classic (June 4, 1989)

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Strontium posted:

January 2019. A chance encounter between Ted and Helen.

Serious case of Rallboob there

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
I still remember when the Tinkersons was considered a bad strip by most of the thread. It's nuts how that's shifted over time. It's probably one of my favorites now.

The Lockhorns

Brewster Rockit Space Guy We gonna get airline food jokes next?

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Kevin & Kell

Mother Goose & Grimm

Hagar The Horrible

Sherman's Lagoon

Ella Cinders

Zorro

Reply All

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
yeah. tinkersons is legit now. i feel like the tide turned around when the family went vegetarian (possibly before?)

that seemed to surprise a lot of people with how well it was handled. though i think the pieces were there, the style turned some of us off

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

FrumpleOrz posted:

I still remember when the Tinkersons was considered a bad strip by most of the thread. It's nuts how that's shifted over time. It's probably one of my favorites now.

I still think Tinkersons does the whole Community (the TV show) "Family are the people you are meanest to for some reason, and that's good and normal" schtick that drives me nuts. But I admit the alternative is probably a harder comic to write.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

nishi koichi posted:

yeah. tinkersons is legit now. i feel like the tide turned around when the family went vegetarian (possibly before?)

that seemed to surprise a lot of people with how well it was handled. though i think the pieces were there, the style turned some of us off

It started in April 2013, which makes it really quite young as far as your family-focused gag-a-day strips are concerned. Arlo & Janis, the point of comparison I'll use, started in July 1985.

I don't know what Bill Bettwy's plans are for Tinkersons, but he's clearly a solid writer, and if his art gradually improves and the writing and character development remains interesting and engaging, it could become something very special indeed.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Tinkersons looked like low effort garbage at first

Now it looks like slightly higher effort garbage but it's funny more often than not so we can look past the mostly bad art

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
i’m usually pretty sensitive to the “family is lovely to each other” thing, but tinkersons doesn’t really bother me, and i don’t know why.

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Mämmilä

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The Good Innvandrer

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Alhazred posted:

The Good Innvandrer

Ha ha ouch.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Pastry of the Year posted:

Garfield Classic (June 4, 1989)

I love this dumb joke.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

nishi koichi posted:

i’m usually pretty sensitive to the “family is lovely to each other” thing, but tinkersons doesn’t really bother me, and i don’t know why.

It doesn't feel as spiteful, I guess? Like tinkerson dad tricking the son into clearing the snow while he sneaks back inside or the mom wanting tweety to get off the phone always reads different than, say, a similar scenario in Dustin. And there's usually enough strips where the family is enjoying time together to offset it.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.

readingatwork posted:

I don't know what a Sootis is and I'm too proud to ask.

From an earlier Cul De Sac strip:

Evil Mastermind posted:

Cul De Sac is just a legend...OR IS IT?

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

I think its becaise tinkersons is dark enough without spilling over into lio/non sequitor style misantropy

also it has weird things that exist without only being the butt of jokes like the vegantarianism. its just part of the family.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The Far Side

Pickles

Zits

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

also it has weird things that exist without only being the butt of jokes like the vegantarianism. its just part of the family.
Exactly. In any other nuclear family strip "vegetarian food" serves as shorthand for tired old bland tofu/mom can't cook/dang liberals jokes. In Tinkerson's it's like... the Tinkersons tried the fake meat and liked it. It's a suburban white family strip that doesn't present a cloying idealized version of the life, isn't a biting satire, and has never been the least bit hateful towards anyone. Just look around Dustin and One Big Happy and Rose Is Rose to see how that alone makes it unique. And along with that it's also not bland and has serial killer storylines.

It did used to be bland garbage though. Best I can describe it is it started out as a vanity project with character designs straight from Making Comic Strips For Dummies and artwork straight from god knows, and instead of fizzling out somewhere along the line the creator found a really solid narrative voice.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

G O D

I don't know if white people doing this counts as a microaggression but it started happening after I moved from the desert to the frozen north and it's just. The worst. Why do they do this.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Tinkersons are a good family because when they clash with each other it's for a simple reason that isn't malicious. The daughter wants to be left alone, the son is lazy, the dad is lazy, the mom wants what is best but is also flawed and human. So "we gotta shovel the snow" leads to a joke about the dad tricking the son instead of some warped idealized memory that has a soft element of abuse like a FOOB strip. Or the son wants to play video games all day and the mom keeps on him to have his homework and chores done instead of some genuine abuse about what a loser he'll become for indulging in a routine relaxation hobby. Also stuff like the daughter standing up for herself to teasing at school and not turning it into "ah jeez time for a very special Tinkersons." The parents don't even mention it past half a strip joke and set up I think.

Even the B cast does this. Dad's boss isn't a sociopathic rampant jackass, he's the same casual bum the dad is about their job. Lights are on, cash flow positive, office good.

It's like golden age Simpsons where you can get dozens of jokes out of Homer's hedonism and Bart's pranks but they're not actually horrible people and the author doesn't lean on you to think that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

I feel like this is a paid apple ad now.