Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the coolest, raddest demon lady in all the land?
This poll is closed.
Bowsette 62 17.22%
Bowsette 40 11.11%
Bowsette 44 12.22%
Bowsette 39 10.83%
Bowsette 47 13.06%
128 35.56%
Total: 195 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Real hurthling! posted:

Yeah chimera squad, even being a watered down xcom, came out the same week as gears tactics and is infinitely more engaging cause its fast and deep and colorful vs just making my brown chubby dudes trudge across a desert map and setting their ow cones every single turn

The aesthetic sensibilities of the Gears of Wars series are some of the most unappealing I've ever seen in my entire life. Just grayish brown cubes fighting brownish grey cubes. I don't even know how anyone tells friend from foe in the online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I'm not wrong to hear the Twin Peaks influence in SH, right?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Lurdiak posted:

The aesthetic sensibilities of the Gears of Wars series are some of the most unappealing I've ever seen in my entire life. Just grayish brown cubes fighting brownish grey cubes. I don't even know how anyone tells friend from foe in the online.

the new hivebusters dlc has a lot of exotic environments like a lava river through a south pacific inspired jungle village but thats even worse than the usual bombed out city cause now the egg shaped characters just look super cartoony in this colorful lush eden. in the same vein, while the gameplay remains identical to all the old games, the writing has certainly changed with the modern cast so you dont have the gritty edgelord anger and seriousness, you have quippy light hearted dialog as you chainsaw a mutant in half further making everything just feel off tonally.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Rinkles posted:

No, the producer of Team Silent is even on record as saying that the series was influenced by Twin Peaks almost as much as by Jacob's Ladder.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Beaglerush (the big XCOM guy) absolutely hates Phoenix Point and even thinks Gears Tactics was alright so I'm really hesitant to try it out. Maybe it'll be the free game on Epic eventually
phoenix point (and gears tactics) is on game pass if you have it. its perfectly fine but the post-2012 xcom clone scene is a space with a lot of good rear end games generally, and it can't really hang. combat mechanics are fine mostly but the encounters arent interesting, and the geoscape is kinda rotten and doesn't really give you any interesting strategic choices. you mostly just get kinda railroaded down one of three quest lines. if youve played literally every other modern xcom clone to death its probably worth checking out

gears tactics is great, at adapting a gears of war campaign into a tactics game. level design and encounters are 1:1 identical and it works amazingly well, does really well at representing gears staples like cover fire and lancer rushes. as an Xcom Clone though, it has no strategy layer and zero replayability, just a bunch of straight hallway shooter levels from a top down perspective. good tactics game, bad strategy game

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Rinkles posted:

IGN posted:

Have any films or filmmakers inspired the creepy atmosphere you're hoping to achieve with Silent Hill 2?

IMAMURA: Certainly David Lynch. His style has influenced the series, especially Silent Hill 2. Twin Peaks is one of my personal favourites.

https://www.ign.com/articles/2001/03/29/ign-ps2-interviews-silent-hill-2-producer-akihiro-imamura

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

still bitter about falling for the gears tactics trick, of out of ignorance of what that game was turning ironman on right out of the gate. that option is incredibly misrepresentative of the kind of game that it actually is

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

homeless snail posted:

still bitter about falling for the gears tactics trick, of out of ignorance of what that game was turning ironman on right out of the gate. that option is incredibly misrepresentative of the kind of game that it actually is

I got a few hours into it and was like "yeah I think I get it" but then enemies started spawning in without a warning beforehand and thats when I decided I was done

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

thinking about the gears funko pop mobile spin off

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Can't decide whether Bioware removing the cameltoe from EDI in ME3 would be good because it was dumb to begin with, or dumb to remove because it's like one of the few things I can even remember about the game now.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Real hurthling! posted:

Chapter 10 kicked my rear end for 2 days

the boss has me putting the controller down for a while, yes :tizzy:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Ciaphas posted:

the boss has me putting the controller down for a while, yes :tizzy:

Boss tips:

Phase 1: use charged kunai and dodge the easy pattern

Phase 2 use shruiken to burst the shield so that you arent knocked back into the fire when you swing at the weak point. Lead the projectiles into a corner and dash to the far side to resume attacking. Parrying the orbs makes them drop health sometimes.

Phase 3: unlock all the powerups. When he goes up high Take your time dodging and attacking with the charged upward flame move when u have sp that gets dropped by the swords he throws if you attack them after they land. The pink powerup lets you destroy the ground crystals so you arent trapped on the plant platforms when hes attacking you.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I think people are saying TROUBLESHOOTER: Abandoned Children is the new tactics hotness?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Levis is releasing a line of pokemon trainer cosplay clothes

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

outer wilds is probably the best game I've played in a long time. fantastic ending

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Played it in groundhogs day did you

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Looper posted:

also here's a fresh mega man take for y'all: x8 is the worst game on the second legacy collection and second worst in the series after x3, feel free to @ me
X3's fine

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Real hurthling! posted:

Played it in groundhogs day did you

oh drat, if only I'd beat it that day. I didn't even think about it, but I only tested out my idea for how to get into the last thing I needed to this afternoon

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Harrow posted:

It's essentially an expansion with a big fancy relaunch. It carries over all of your skins and progress and stuff and has crossplay with Overwatch 1 so it's probably easier to think of it as a big paid expansion than a sequel.

Path of Exile is doing basically the same thing with Path of Exile 2--it's more of a huge expansion with system overhauls than a sequel--but it didn't create quite the confusion Overwatch 2 did because PoE is free so they're not asking you to buy another $60 game.
They've also added less and less stuff into the main game, so you would assume Overwatch 2 is some accumulation of new characters and maps that they were saving up.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Spring Break My Heart posted:

They've also added less and less stuff into the main game, so you would assume Overwatch 2 is some accumulation of new characters and maps that they were saving up.

Adding less and less stuff to the game is just how Blizzard rolls.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I should have beaten 13 sentinels on "groundhog day"

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
what's the hot scoop on the february humble tomorrow

:eyepop:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I don't know about this month's but from last month maybe I should play PC Building Simulator

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
I was very glad to finally grab Pathologic 2 last month

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Even if it's on Game Pass (great deal, continues to grow in value)

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I refuse to support the creation of a state of decay 3. Sorry bill gates youve forced me to piracy

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Gamepass is so much value, still need to play Spiritfarer.

I don't think I'm gonna stick with Monster Train, if I'm gonna deckbuild think I'd rather put some time into Griftlands

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Gamepass is so much value, still need to play Spiritfarer.

I don't think I'm gonna stick with Monster Train, if I'm gonna deckbuild think I'd rather put some time into Griftlands

I haven't played Griftlands much since early in EA, I should reinstall it.

:thunk:

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
They're selling the Neo Geo Pocket version of SNK vs Capcom on the eshop, which is uninteresting except for the rights issue. In a sane world this paves the way to re-releasing CvS2, one of history's greatest games.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

what's the hot scoop on the february humble tomorrow

:eyepop:
every other one seems to be decent based on last year

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

I haven't played Griftlands much since early in EA, I should reinstall it.

:thunk:

I played through the first characters campaign but fell off for a bit working through the second campaign. I saw they are well on their way with the third, seems cool

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I got owned by not completely cancelling my Humble Monthly when I got the 5$ full month in December so I got charged the full 16$ in January for a bundle with no games I want

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i've been playing Valheim which i think just opened up in early access and im liking it a lot!

it's extremely pretty, the textures are a pixelated art style but the lighting, colors, and atmospherics are all extremely well done. great sound design too

it's a viking survival game, you're dropped in with nothing more than a ratty tunic and have to gather wood and stone and whatnot and build a shelter, hunt for food, etc.

Hugin the raven gives you your tutorials and points you to the first of five(?) bosses, which was a really rad fight with awesome music and effects

then you explore further, into the darker forests, dodging trolls, dwarves and skeletons looking for burial chambers which are super spooky! inside is the waymarker for the next boss and materials to build a smelter and kiln. that's about how far i've gotten so far, the next boss is across the water so i'll have to build a raft and sail over there. the map is loving huge too and all procedurally generated.

also, the bees are happy. and that's what matters.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

I hate survival games but that first screenshot is gorgeous

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Spring Break My Heart posted:

They're selling the Neo Geo Pocket version of SNK vs Capcom on the eshop, which is uninteresting except for the rights issue. In a sane world this paves the way to re-releasing CvS2, one of history's greatest games.

Match of the millenium is p dang good for now tho

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Ys ix starts with adol being accused of multiple shipwreckings and fraud for losing all his powerful artifacts after every game.

Its like Dogi smashing through the 4th wall giving me a big in-joke high five

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Instead of Griftlands, I ended up playing a bunch of Spelunky 2.

20 runs and made it to world 2 just once... I am super rusty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Its way harder than 1
I got to the last world twice but gave up