Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

kitten emergency posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._states_by_homicide_rate

this list isnt surprising but PA is pretty high relative to, say, NY

It's interesting that Pennsylvania hasn't seen the same drop since 2000 that most other states have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

Rural Pennsylvania is fuckin dire though, not gonna lie. Had I not thrown my poo poo in my car in 1999 and moved to Pittsburgh my life would be entirely different now.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

It's interesting that Pennsylvania hasn't seen the same drop since 2000 that most other states have.

yeah, MO is also like that. probably a lot of vaguely interesting reasons for it

Apr 7, 2003

kitten emergency posted:

yeah, MO is also like that. probably a lot of vaguely interesting reasons for it

Pennsylvania outside of Pittsburgh and Philadelphia really hasn't changed for the better in my lifetime. I can go back to the town I grew up in and visit the grocery store and it looks and smells exactly the same as it did in 1991.

There's a sense among people who live that way that things will never get better, and desperation breeds crime and violence.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

rural pennsylvania has absolutely changed, for the worse

the local kmart is an abandoned building now

anyone with the slightest bit of interest in making the world better left for greener pastures

the opioid crisis has decimated populations

there's no money, no hope, and no future

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

lament.cfg posted:

anyone with the slightest bit of interest in making the world better left for greener pastures

trump’ll fix it

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

lament.cfg posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llvX0Ua15uk

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

the only difference is that it's considerably less white, and that gives an easy target for the blight to the white locals

like, wilkes-barre PA was literally the whitest place in america 20 years ago, now it's about average for the US (75% white) and that's unacceptable to the yokels

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

https://abcnews.go.com/US/pennsylvania-neighbors-dead-fight-snow-shoveling-authorities/story?id=75666109

Snow shoveling argument ends in three dead in a murder suicide

A video of this from a surveillance camera is out and I'm not going to link to it here, but this couple kept dumping snow on this guy's property while calling him a queer and a pussy and kept swearing at him from the middle of the street *after* he comes out with a gun, literal 'what are you going to do, shoot me?' poo poo. What the gently caress is wrong with people.

i saw this yesterday. very sad. it was shocking to me that the shooter, after emptying his pistol, went back inside to retrieve a rifle to then execute the couple.

i think theres a lot of hopelessness. people dont see they can have a better life. i guess i understand the rage, america isnt doing right by its citizens. but the really sad thing is peoples rage gets directed at themselves, their neighbors, and their own communities. i guess thats probably all real obvious to this thread, but i just wanted to post okay ty for reading

Apr 7, 2003

lament.cfg posted:

I grew up in beautiful Shamokin, Pennsylvania

https://www.cc.com/video/6deoft/tosh-0-s-thole-of-the-week

One of my high school friends told me that I was a giant pussy for leaving because I couldn't hack it there lmao

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

abandoned coal mine town brain is pervasive, somehow the 100 year olds and the 10 year olds all have it

Apr 7, 2003

barkbell posted:

i saw this yesterday. very sad. it was shocking to me that the shooter, after emptying his pistol, went back inside to retrieve a rifle to then execute the couple.

i think theres a lot of hopelessness. people dont see they can have a better life. i guess i understand the rage, america isnt doing right by its citizens. but the really sad thing is peoples rage gets directed at themselves, their neighbors, and their own communities. i guess thats probably all real obvious to this thread, but i just wanted to post okay ty for reading

The shooter was an educated high income professional.

I'm not going to delve too deeply into the background of it, but standing in the street calling your neighbor a queer and a pussy for a few years probably isn't going to work out for you anywhere you live.

Apr 7, 2003

lament.cfg posted:

abandoned coal mine town brain is pervasive, somehow the 100 year olds and the 10 year olds all have it

Those jobs left in the 1940s too

These people are sitting around waiting for their great grandpa's job to come back at this point.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

The shooter was an educated high income professional.

I'm not going to delve too deeply into the background of it, but standing in the street calling your neighbor a queer and a pussy for a few years probably isn't going to work out for you anywhere you live.

he wasnt doing well though it seems like. he shot his neighbors then shot himself.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

lackawanna county bituminous coal coke cloud

literal brain poisoning probably explains a lot about the area

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Shamokin for my real friends, real okin for my sham friends

Apr 7, 2003

lament.cfg posted:

lackawanna county bituminous coal coke cloud

I love my decaying shithole home town.

My dad moved there in 1985 from New Jersey for a job and fell into that tar pit and never got out. Places like that are black holes.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

jim carrey voice shamokin

mystes
May 31, 2006

Shame o' Kin, Pennsylvania

Apr 7, 2003

One of my best friends growing up had a stroke at 36 and just went to bed with the pain because he couldn't afford to go to the hospital. Anyway he's in a nursing home for the rest of his life.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
that sucks

Apr 7, 2003

I haven't been keeping track because it's too depressing, he probably died already.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

DJ Paul Shamokinfold

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
shamoka dustbowl

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

barkbell posted:

america sucks

Apr 7, 2003

lament.cfg posted:

One of my brothers got run over by a car and nearly killed when he was ten and one of our neighbors told me they should throw a few more of us out on the street for good measure.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

small town america full of kind neighborly folk is a fairy tale

i can't think of a single person who wasn't vicious and hateful

small towns breed the worst kinds

Apr 7, 2003

The 'low crime' poo poo is a farce too, everyone's up to no good, it's just that people don't talk about it because they don't want to end up face down in a flooded strip mining pit.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

echinopsis posted:

lol

looking at the 60s/70s the lasting quality music ratio weighs heavily in favour of the english, it’s not until the 80s that america starts to gain some decent favour

lol the amount of clearly white rockists in this thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SN8pWdZhVaM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CICIOJqEb5c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gs069dndIYk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYKYka-PNt0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vm4jJQFXWp4

and that’s just the most obvious ones off a random playlist of mine.

but yeah white american rock and roll artists from the 60s-80s were mediocre as gently caress i agree

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

The 'low crime' poo poo is a farce too, everyone's up to no good, it's just that people don't talk about it because they don't want to end up face down in a flooded strip mining pit.

also when they say "low crime" what they actually mean is they don't have any black people

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

https://twitter.com/kcgreenn/status/1357717066921435136?s=20

lol when even KC Green is pissed off

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
https://twitter.com/kevincollier/status/1357728691711803393?s=21

Apr 7, 2003

She's going to be president some day

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Roosevelt posted:

i invented rap and hip hop. i have a bboy stance and everything

i invented everything except for country and rap

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Rural Pennsylvania is fuckin dire though, not gonna lie. Had I not thrown my poo poo in my car in 1999 and moved to Pittsburgh my life would be entirely different now.

similar with me only rural michigan in 2003. kalamazoo is no pittsburgh (what even is???) but it’s freaking nyc compared to where i came from.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i came insanely close to getting trapped in my hometown area in my early 20s and it’s scary to look back on now.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

She's going to be president some day

and that day is january 20 2025

Apr 7, 2003

All my friends who didn't get out turned into mega chuds, either they already were when I went to school with them and I didn't know or they went hard in on their sour grapes wrt city living.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
half my hs graduating class went to penn state then moved back home and are still there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

My grandmother is ideologically and fiscally liberal as is the rest of my family but she votes hardline republican because that's the party she voted for before she moved here from Iceland 75 years ago.