Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Oaky Doaks is art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Julet Esqu posted:

I recognize that this is because you're doing the translating here, but I still want to say that I appreciate that the natives are talking like normal people and not in the broken English they use in so many westerns.

Thanks for appreciating it. I was concerned that some might think I was being too editorial in my translations - though frankly I'd probably keep doing it anyway even if they did since I dislike that trope, too.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Scary Gary :drac:

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Support Tauhid's Patreon here.

Old School Peanuts (Jun 21, 1952)

Calvin and Hobbes (Dec 5-6, 1988)

Robbie and Bobby

(Sep 24, 2018)

(Oct 3, 2018)

Support Jason's Patreon (and see new My Dad is Draculas) here.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

readingatwork posted:

Crabgrass

Support Tauhid's Patreon here.

I love how much of a dork Miles is.

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

amigolupus posted:

I knew about how Lynn wrote her son's old friend surviving in her comic, but you're right about how judgmental this is. I can only imagine how terrible it must have felt for IRL Michael to read about this as it came out. And that's not getting into how Lynn made him straight in her wish fulfillment comic.

She wrote Lawrence as gay, which was decently controversial at the time IIRC. My first memory of the Westboro Baptist Church was them protesting the Topeka KS newspaper for continuing to run the strip

This is just an aside though.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Samovar posted:

Thanks for appreciating it. I was concerned that some might think I was being too editorial in my translations - though frankly I'd probably keep doing it anyway even if they did since I dislike that trope, too.
Wait so is it that way in the original or is it the old trope?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

My Lovely Horse posted:

Wait so is it that way in the original or is it the old trope?

I was referring to the trope - as far as I can tell, the Swedish translation keeps the Apache's dialogue pretty much as Blueberry's and Graig's... though they do have the tiresome habit of using the terms 'Redskins' and 'Palefaces' (actually, on the latter term I did a bit of researching on what the Apaches of that region would have more likely used as a term referring to non-Apache people, hence the use of Indaaɫigáí - Wikipedia states it means 'people who are white-skinned', but I saw some other people on a Native American language board stating it more literally means 'white-eyed').

On that note - in today's Blueberry: Blueberry thinks on his feet... his horse's hooves? Anyway, or Graig, self-critique is an important part of anyone's health, but now is REALLY not the time, or Suddenly, Blueberry's in the mood for some spontaneous horticulture.

Samovar fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Feb 6, 2021

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Classic Kevin & Kell (June 14-18, 1999)

[Animal] has [characteristic] here means "humans are jealous, greedy, and overall terrible people." It will be a pattern in the strip.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (June 6, 2009)

Arlo and Janis Classic (June 6, 1999)

Garfield Classic (June 6, 1989)

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Ah, a rare A&J that's specifically about Not Fuckin.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Everett False posted:

I need to clear out some books so I can move Tintin and make this the dedicated comic strip megathread cube. :3:
Now that is a solid collection.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bobbins

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Let's see, that's in order: Ryan, Tim, Holly, Amy, Rich?

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
The Lockhorns

Brewster Rockit Space Guy

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens The pregnancies never end lmao

Kevin & Kell

Mother Goose & Grimm

Hagar The Horrible

Sherman's Lagoon

Ella Cinders

Zorro

Reply All

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmPEjuVKdyU It's uncanny.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1946

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

FrumpleOrz posted:

Safe Havens The pregnancies never end lmao

one day jeph jacques will take over the comic and just keep introducing and pairing off characters

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Countblanc posted:

If I had to give a non-art criticism of Tinkersons it's that it sorta sucks that Mrs Tinkerson's personality is being a nag the vast majority of the time. Especially with the kids but also her husband. It'd be nice to see her with some friends or something outside the home like we do all the other characters.

She is a little less developed than the others for sure. More of a foil for the mildly absurd goings on at Casa Tinkerson than anything.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Aug. 22, 1943)

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Strontium posted:

Take It From the Tinkersons

I love that even with this very simple art style she looks so totally dejected after that comment.

She's definitely innocent

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

ikanreed posted:

I love that even with this very simple art style she looks so totally dejected after that comment.

She's definitely innocent

A couple of the characters are very expressive. Her and the dad especially. Sadly third place is probably the bartender

Not counting obvious winner screaming fired guy

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
i still think about that stupid grin the dad makes in the window after tricking the kid into shoveling snow

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

In this installment of The Timid Soul (August 12, 1935), I'm really not sure what Caspar's putting on his feet. And I guess this was before the invention of anti-slip bathtub mats.

Look at the the detail on the pipes behind the sink. The crinkling on the shower curtain where it passes above the curtain rod. The towel rack. The fringe on Caspar's towel.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Strong John Arbuckle dancing energy.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

I was not expecting a CBT joke in K&K but here we are.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

The T stands for Touchdown.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

CzarChasm posted:

Strong John Arbuckle dancing energy.

just inc ase

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Parahexavoctal posted:

In this installment of The Timid Soul (August 12, 1935), I'm really not sure what Caspar's putting on his feet. And I guess this was before the invention of anti-slip bathtub mats.

Look at the the detail on the pipes behind the sink. The crinkling on the shower curtain where it passes above the curtain rod. The towel rack. The fringe on Caspar's towel.

I imagine it's what it sounds like: a resin from something like a pine tree that will help him stick to the slick tub, similar to how dancers will rosin up their shoes to keep from slipping on the floor.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Parahexavoctal posted:

Probably a similar sort of resin to the type used by acrobats to make sure their hands maintain good non-slip grip on trapeze bars and such.

Docks

Retail

Popular Comics

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

"Maybe I should draw some furniture in the room so...nah gently caress it."

F Minus

Toast doesn't die in a toaster. Bread dies. Toast is born.

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

That's not the saying. :colbert:

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

I'm sure this is a terrible idea but I don't know why.

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Looks like we're gonna miss a week of A3G.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

I'm sure this is a terrible idea but I don't know why.

Buck is probably already experiencing Ketoacidosis, and exercising is only going to build up more ketones. It's basically going to snowball.

He's gonna end up in a coma.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Diabetic ketoacidosis is very real and can kill the poo poo out of you.

I'm predicting that his wife will make some comment about him having an odd, fruity smell (KETONES!)

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Tomorrow on Rex Morgan MD: "Now that I've had some exercise I sure deserve a snack"

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moominposting

Yeah, some days feel like that.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

manero posted:

Buck is probably already experiencing Ketoacidosis, and exercising is only going to build up more ketones. It's basically going to snowball.

He's gonna end up in a coma.

coronatae posted:

Diabetic ketoacidosis is very real and can kill the poo poo out of you.

I'm predicting that his wife will make some comment about him having an odd, fruity smell (KETONES!)
Thank you! I knew someone here would know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The Far Side

Pickles

Zits