Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Wing was my gateway anime. It's what really flipped the "weeb" switch in my head and got me set on the path.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

You know, I'd heard about this but I've only ever seen a tiny bit of Gundam Wing. It's pretty rough, but not quite as bad as I...

Oh.

To go back to Kevin Sorbo for a moment, I am so disappointed that he's... Kevin Sorbo. I loved Hercules and Andromeda! I liked it when he showed up in Sci-Fi original movies! Kull... wasn't good! I'm just so sad he's a loving piece of poo poo.

...I just noticed the moustache on that Gundam, Jesus.

Edit: vv Oh, that could explain a lot.

catlord has a new favorite as of 02:16 on Feb 7, 2021

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

catlord posted:

To go back to Kevin Sorbo for a moment, I am so disappointed that he's... Kevin Sorbo. I loved Hercules and Andromeda! I liked it when he showed up in Sci-Fi original movies! Kull... wasn't good! I'm just so sad he's a loving piece of poo poo.

I guess having 4 strokes in a row must be pretty bad for your brain.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Lol dead dads are such deadbeats.

While it isn't mentioned if Goku knew Chichi was pregnant when it happened he did choose to stay dead even after Goten was born.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Now granted I only ever knew one mexican who’d seen G Gundam but he loving loved that sombrero space station

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I'm not Mexican, I'm another flavor of Latino, but my experience is that for the most part Mexicans have a really good sense of humor about themselves. I guess it helps that border stereotypes were so hybridized with Texan/Southwest US culture and climate that there wasn't quite the same division of mean-spiritedness to depictions like black Americans and minstrel shows.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

muscles like this! posted:

While it isn't mentioned if Goku knew Chichi was pregnant when it happened he did choose to stay dead even after Goten was born.

To be fair, his reasoning was that so much bad poo poo happens on earth specifically because someone is trying to kill him, so it'd probably be safer for everybody if he stayed dead.

I mean: Raditz came looking for him, which leads directly to Nappa and Vegeta and then going to Namek. There he fights Frieza who comes to earth to kill him.
The Androids were built to kill him. Cell was designed to kill him.

The Buu saga is pretty much the first time since OG Dragonball that the main antagonist of an arc wasn't motivated by wanting revenge on Goku

the_steve has a new favorite as of 02:30 on Feb 7, 2021

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

christmas boots posted:

Now granted I only ever knew one mexican who’d seen G Gundam but he loving loved that sombrero space station

My dad laughed when I explained it to him (you gotta hear about this anime space station...), and honestly I'm pretty sure my grandpa would have too.

I did cackle a little when I changed the page and saw it, will admit. Fantastic page-topper, honestly, it's just the goofiest poo poo.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

the_steve posted:

To be fair, his reasoning was that so much bad poo poo happens on earth specifically because someone is trying to kill him, so it'd probably be safer for everybody if he stayed dead.

I mean: Raditz came looking for him, which leads directly to Nappa and Vegeta and then going to Namek. There he fights Frieza who comes to earth to kill him.
The Androids were built to kill him. Cell was designed to kill him.

The Buu saga is pretty much the first time since OG Dragonball that the main antagonist of an arc wasn't motivated by wanting revenge on Goku

And even then, Vegeta let himself get Majin'd to fight Goku, and then he killed all those people at the World Martial Arts Tournament.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
The joke being that it still didnt make him as strong as Goku.

christmas boots posted:

Oh I love the windmill Gundam too.
At least it doesnt have clogs.
It does have a backstory about it disguising itself as a windmill to get to the finals apparently, and thats so dumb its amazing.

DeafNote has a new favorite as of 02:57 on Feb 7, 2021

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah but they wished all those people Vegeta killed back to life, also to be fair they were just beating the rush when Majin Buu killed the whole planet except for Mister Satan.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Death in Dragon Ball is basically time out as long as someone still likes you.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I'm going through G Gundam for the first time myself, and I can't speak for any other Malaysians but I unironically love that we're repped by a monkey man in a orangutan robot called the Skull Gundam. It owns.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

mind the walrus posted:

I consider it really vindicating that Gundam Wing hasn't seen any major revival attempts and even the people who were really into it back in the day recognize it as a part of their adolescence and not some meaningful "thing" we need to catch up on in 2021.

Like I don't want to knock it because I was watching Toonami too and it's all the same flavor of gym sock, but yeah I never liked Wing. Ok the animation and mech suits in Endless Waltz are loving god-tier, but otherwise that whole series could suck a nut.

Most Gundam series don't really get revivals or anything like that except the original series. But even then, it's interesting that Wing doesn't get the direct attention from other shows that the other fairly large 90s Gundams generally do. G Gundam was a big inspiration on Gundam Build Fighters, which was literally just a shonen anime about building Gundam model kits and having them fight. And there's a semi-direct sequel to Turn-A Gundam, the last Gundams of the 90s (which I believe didn't get international distribution until much later). Wing, meanwhile, they're apparently willing to let sleep.

This is probably because, honestly, there's not really anything to gain from it for how Gundam is structured as a franchise. Weirdly, it does get actually motivated by narrative and the stories they're telling; Wing was essentially just a repaint over the Universal Century with more cute boys with cool robots, so there's actually not much they get out of reviving Wing that they don't get out of just doing a UC story. Wing model kits are still some of the most popular model kits sold internationally anyway, so they don't need to revitalize them. And if they want to recapture the big thing Wing brought to the table--an ensemble cast with Cute Teens with Cool Robots instead of just the protagonist and antagonist--they're better off doing a new series with that approach that they can sell new products for... which they've done quite a few times.

So honestly, while there's not a direct sequel or follow-on to Wing, and that is interesting, you can see the impact Wing made on a bunch of the Gundams released afterwards.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 08:34 on Feb 7, 2021

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Gundam Wing has a really bad ratio of entertaining stuff vs dull repetitive stuff, but its soundtrack still shreds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWz2BWGxqMI

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Crowetron posted:

Gundam Wing has a really bad ratio of entertaining stuff vs dull repetitive stuff, but its soundtrack still shreds

Oh, yeah. I think even among the people who thing Gundam Wing is mostly garbage, there's still agreement that its two openings (especially the second one, to Rhythm Emotion) are among the best of the era, and of Gundam as a whole.

And if I'm gonna compliment anything about Wing, I have to compliment the Tallgeese, given I own a model of it. All the rest of the Wing main-character suits are just a hair overdesigned, the barest bit overcomplicated for what they're supposed to be. But The Tallgeese's concept of 'if protagonist Gundams have been based on samurai, let's base the enemy's on Roman centurions' is great, and it has a wonderfully minimalist design for that. The Tallgeese was one of the only things I remembered from Wing after seeing a few episodes as a kid, and it's because the Tallgeese is rad.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Gargamel Gibson posted:

I guess having 4 strokes in a row must be pretty bad for your brain.

He also came forward during #metoo to say that he was abused but seem to take all the wrong lessons from what happened.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Cleretic posted:

Most Gundam series don't really get revivals or anything like that except the original series. But even then, it's interesting that Wing doesn't get the direct attention from other shows that the other fairly large 90s Gundams generally do. G Gundam was a big inspiration on Gundam Build Fighters, which was literally just a shonen anime about building Gundam model kits and having them fight. And there's a semi-direct sequel to Turn-A Gundam, the last Gundams of the 90s (which I believe didn't get international distribution until much later). Wing, meanwhile, they're apparently willing to let sleep.

This is probably because, honestly, there's not really anything to gain from it for how Gundam is structured as a franchise. Weirdly, it does get actually motivated by narrative and the stories they're telling; Wing was essentially just a repaint over the Universal Century with more cute boys with cool robots, so there's actually not much they get out of reviving Wing that they don't get out of just doing a UC story. Wing model kits are still some of the most popular model kits sold internationally anyway, so they don't need to revitalize them. And if they want to recapture the big thing Wing brought to the table--an ensemble cast with Cute Teens with Cool Robots instead of just the protagonist and antagonist--they're better off doing a new series with that approach that they can sell new products for... which they've done quite a few times.

So honestly, while there's not a direct sequel or follow-on to Wing, and that is interesting, you can see the impact Wing made on a bunch of the Gundams released afterwards.

Gundam Wing kinda got a revival with Gundam 00 in the 00s, which took the basic "Cute Teens with Cool Robots" premise of Wing and ran in a very different direction with it.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Well Manicured Man posted:

Gundam Wing kinda got a revival with Gundam 00 in the 00s, which took the basic "Cute Teens with Cool Robots" premise of Wing and ran in a very different direction with it.

Zero was a good series that took Wing's basic premise and thought about it a lot longer than the developers of Wing ever did. So you've got attractive pilots in good looking mobile suits dunking on Earth's armed forces, but there's more depth to it. It's also got a lot of those little nods to living in zero-g that I love Gundam for.

I flamed out on watching Wing somewhere on the disc with episodes 40-45. I'd watch some, come back a week later and have to start over because I couldn't remember where I'd left off. The third time this happened I just put it away and stopped caring.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Cleretic posted:

Oh, yeah. I think even among the people who thing Gundam Wing is mostly garbage, there's still agreement that its two openings (especially the second one, to Rhythm Emotion) are among the best of the era, and of Gundam as a whole.

And if I'm gonna compliment anything about Wing, I have to compliment the Tallgeese, given I own a model of it. All the rest of the Wing main-character suits are just a hair overdesigned, the barest bit overcomplicated for what they're supposed to be. But The Tallgeese's concept of 'if protagonist Gundams have been based on samurai, let's base the enemy's on Roman centurions' is great, and it has a wonderfully minimalist design for that. The Tallgeese was one of the only things I remembered from Wing after seeing a few episodes as a kid, and it's because the Tallgeese is rad.

I've said before, Gundam Wing may be a dud in the grander franchise, but when it aired on Toonami, it blew its audience away with something they'd never seen anything like before, and a kickass intro on top of that. I get the impression that a lot of said audience who went on to explore the rest of the franchise tended to find some incarnation or other of it that they enjoyed more.

And the Tallgeese being more a simple design actually makes a lot of sense considering it's supposed to be in-setting the first mobile suit of its kind, and a prototype that was mothballed because it was so overpowered and clunky it kept killing its test pilots.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

mllaneza posted:

I flamed out on watching Wing somewhere on the disc with episodes 40-45. I'd watch some, come back a week later and have to start over because I couldn't remember where I'd left off. The third time this happened I just put it away and stopped caring.

From the beginning of that disc or the whole show? Cause the whole series is only 49 episodes...

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

holy crap. had no idea so many people not only liked G Gundam but thought it was better than Gundam Wing :monocle: (count me among them)

catlord posted:

You know, I'd heard about this but I've only ever seen a tiny bit of Gundam Wing. It's pretty rough, but not quite as bad as I...

Oh.

you and me both, friendo. it's incredibly ironic that he was part of a handful of actors i actually gave a poo poo about and took notice when he starred in other projects. finding out who he really is makes it a bit hard (though not impossible) to go back and watch hercules. but it does help that hercules the character is absolutely nothing like sorbo, so i'm able to disassociate myself from that. also it helps that the show turned to utter poo poo in the final seasons. but the first few seasons still hold up greatly (imo).

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I've said before, Gundam Wing may be a dud in the grander franchise, but when it aired on Toonami, it blew its audience away with something they'd never seen anything like before, and a kickass intro on top of that. I get the impression that a lot of said audience who went on to explore the rest of the franchise tended to find some incarnation or other of it that they enjoyed more.

That’s kind of Toonami and its audience to a T. The people who watch Toonami typically don’t have much experience with stuff that isn’t Naruto or One Piece, so they get blown away by stuff that’s only okay to good inside its own genre/franchise

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

They still show Naruto and Dragonball (admittedly the latest one) on the current incarnation of the Toonami block, so you're right there.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Gundam also likes to have a lot of crossover games and they inevitably pair up the G Gundam characters with the pacifist characters. They also like to have them ask why you'd even use a giant robot to punch another giant robot when guns exist in the first place, usually before getting punched

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

How many dead girlfriends does a Gundam show need to stretch the story out to 50 episodes?

This is not the opening to a joke or anything, I just think these shows inherently repeat themselves. Beside I saw LOGH ten years ago and every other political space opera is a downgrade next to it.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

League Of Gentlemanly Hexagons?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Legend of Galactic Heroes.

It's like a Space Tolstoy compared to Gundam's second half of this analogy

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Inspector Gesicht posted:

How many dead girlfriends does a Gundam show need to stretch the story out to 50 episodes?

This is not the opening to a joke or anything, I just think these shows inherently repeat themselves. Beside I saw LOGH ten years ago and every other political space opera is a downgrade next to it.

Not that I am gonna argue it is a good thing, but that is often intentionally the point: the writers like to repeat the characters/relationships/beats of previous shows (often the original but sometimes others) as a sort of weird homage/reboot. It's played out and annoying but not unintended.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

I don't know how many dead girlfriends a Gundam show needs, but there usually needs to be two dead parents killed because of the protagonist.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Just Four.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Volcott posted:

Just Four.

:golfclap:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

That depends on the mental health of the showrunner that season

This also isn't a joke, the guy has issues

Volcott posted:

Just Four.

lol

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Can someone who has never bothered to watch much Gundam explain that joke?

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

mind the walrus posted:

Can someone who has never bothered to watch much Gundam explain that joke?

The second series, Zeta Gundam, has a character named Four that fits the dead girlfriend role.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Gundam's whole mission statement is basically doing a twenty-one railgun salute to say 'WAR IS BAD'. Legend of the Galactic Heroes was trying to tell the entire story about the rise of an intergalactic empire and everything that happens in and around that, which is inherently a completely different story.

Totally legitimate to prefer LOGH, but saying one is an upgrade over the other is folly because they're doing entirely different things.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
War is bad, now look at these cool robots fight

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Gort posted:

That's, uh, that's intentional. Accentuating the romanticization of violence casts a fairly harsh light on the real consequences of that violence.

Loved in Turn-A how horrible things went just because they really ain't understood what they was fuckin' with.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Gort posted:

Oh, yes, absolutely.

I'd best describe the general message of most Gundam being 'war is bad, but we get it'. A good Gundam completely understands the personal levels to why people fight in wars, and while it has no respect for the people that start them or the people who do awful things like draft children into robot fights, it empathizes with the people who have to fight them. And part of that is 'wow cool robot', there's a respect for both the appeal of advanced war machines and the work that goes into them.

The original Gundam was basically the Evangelion of the seventies, and both of those series make much more sense when you realize that. The whole story is about how awful everyone and everything has to be to reach a point where they give a child a giant war robot (which was a super popular anime genre at the time), while couching all of its statements about that in the giant war robot fights it's criticizing, to both draw people in and show their effects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Lol dead dads are such deadbeats.

Well one of the central conceits of Dragonball is that the titular Dragonballs can raise the dead, yeah that's limited to once a year but it kinda trivializes the idea of death as a consequence or impediment. Like all those people Vegeta killed in the Buu Saga? All back to life. Hell, Buu killed literally every human being on Earth and they were all fine the next day. Goku was only dead at the time because the last time he died and someone tried to bring him back he refused. This works to make Vegeta's Bad Dad habits (committing massacres) a bit more mild, while making Goku's absentee dad schtick less excusable.