Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Shibawanko posted:

i think most people nowadays go for a wireless 8bitdo controller with a snes adapter, i havent tried this myself but i heard it sometimes has connection/compatibility issues but its nice that its wireless so i might want to get this myself

currently using a super famicom controller with a really short cable so im sitting in front of the tv like a kid

I have the SN30+ Pro and receivers for my NES and SNES and it works pretty well. When I first got it I had issues with phantom inputs but I picked it back up recently and it seems new firmware fixed the problem.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Reading about Nintendo related prices is why I started collecting SEGA stuff. Love the Big N too but there's no chance in hell I'm paying $1,000 for a system that looks like absolute dogshit on any modern TV and has maybe 10 games still worth playing today, especially with how hard it is to find a genuine N64 controller that isn't hosed these days. Seriously think the N64 aged the worst of all the big 90s consoles.

On the bright side, the Goldeneye remaster leak got me to check out Xenia, which I didn't even know was A Thing heretofore, and it's glorious. Didn't think we'd ever see a working 360 emulator on PC.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Feb 6, 2021

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

Imagined posted:

On the bright side, the Goldeneye remaster leak got me to check out Xenia, which I didn't even know was A Thing heretofore, and it's glorious. Didn't think we'd ever see a working 360 emulator on PC.
I figured since Dolphin is very playable that it’d only be a matter of time since it’s also ATI/PPC.

Funny thing is the original Xbox emulation is so far behind even though it’s x86/NT5/DX8.1/nVidia. Last I heard it’s because there’s almost no documentation on that bespoke GeForce 3 chipset.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
How is 360 emulation as a whole? It it still in the early stages where it's popular games only? I'm suuuper close to just getting rid of mine because I can't be assed to pry it apart and fix the misbehaving disc tray. Kinda hoping it hangs in long enough for Ken's Rage 2 at least.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Super early. Only a dozen or so XBLA games working.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Imagined posted:

Super early. Only a dozen or so XBLA games working.

Uh, it's a lot more than that

https://github.com/xenia-project/game-compatibility/labels/state-playable

Not near Dolphin or even RCPS3, but it's getting there.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Laslow posted:

I figured since Dolphin is very playable that it’d only be a matter of time since it’s also ATI/PPC.

Funny thing is the original Xbox emulation is so far behind even though it’s x86/NT5/DX8.1/nVidia. Last I heard it’s because there’s almost no documentation on that bespoke GeForce 3 chipset.

I just didn't think anyone would expend the massive effort because there are so few games you'd want to play on the 360 that aren't available on PC or elsewhere in some native format now.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

Uh, it's a lot more than that

https://github.com/xenia-project/game-compatibility/labels/state-playable

Not near Dolphin or even RCPS3, but it's getting there.

List gets a lot smaller when you take off all the demos.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/retorogames/status/1357927743120232448

Followed up by

https://twitter.com/sekiro_51/status/1358004111480791042

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The irony being that buying a ticket to Japan to go to that Hardoff and buying those would still be cheaper that getting them in the US.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
I would poo poo myself if I saw those in my local Hard Off.
I wonder if they are from a nearby Navy base or something.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Aww yeah now we’re cooking with gas

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Pegnose Pete posted:

I would poo poo myself if I saw those in my local Hard Off.
I wonder if they are from a nearby Navy base or something.

That was my first thought too. But I can't imagine any American that would keep the boxes for the consoles, games, and extra controller.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Aww yeah now we’re cooking with gas

lol at how neatly that TV fits in the nook for that window.

(I meant to add this to my last post but I messed that all up.)

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

McCracAttack posted:

lol at how neatly that TV fits in the nook for that window.

(I meant to add this to my last post but I messed that all up.)

It’s ridiculous it fits perfectly lol

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

What in the absolute gently caress? Did they forget to add a zero to those prices?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Imagined posted:

List gets a lot smaller when you take off all the demos.

It's vastly more than what you said, Mr Pedantic.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
N64 apologists are the funniest retro fans. Dunno who has the worse stockholm syndrome, them or xbox users.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

It's vastly more than what you said, Mr Pedantic.

That's funny. I was just thinking, "There should be a word for the kind of anti-pedantic where a person takes something that was hyperbole or with obvious unspoken qualifiers and insists on reading it literally."

Pretend I said "100%" and "worth playing" then, unless you want to play a demo for FIFA2014 or Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs.

But yes, you are right. It is more than a dozen XBLA games*.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Feb 7, 2021

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Waltzing Along posted:

N64 apologists are the funniest retro fans. Dunno who has the worse stockholm syndrome, them or xbox users.

Listen I played a LOT of diddy kong racing okay?

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
It's just the N64's turn to hit that "exactly 25 years in the past" thing where 35-40 year olds who (theoretically) now have a semi-permanent place to live and more disposable income start buying back their childhood. In 5 years will we see $1000 Wiis?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Imagined posted:

It's just the N64's turn to hit that "exactly 25 years in the past" thing where 35-40 year olds who (theoretically) now have a semi-permanent place to live and more disposable income start buying back their childhood. In 5 years will we see $1000 Wiis?

A woman once held her urine inside of her bladder until she died because she was trying to win a Wii.

$1000 is insulting.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I have three Wii’s somewhere so I can only hope

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Waltzing Along posted:

What in the absolute gently caress? Did they forget to add a zero to those prices?

No, that's about right for pricing at HardOff. They probably felt guilty about charging that much.

I think GameCube is probably the end of the line for rocketing prices. By the time you hit the Wii, there's enough collectors and people buying as "investments" that there will be more than enough copies of anything desirable to go around.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Feb 7, 2021

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Random Stranger posted:

No, that's about right for pricing at HardOff. They probably felt guilty about charging that much.

Hardoff prices are fine, but those prices are ridiculous.

There is a hard off in costa mesa, ca. Pretty wild running into that one day.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Wait so that’s like $125 for a CIB SNES and a bunch of (good) CIB games? That’s loving ridiculous

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Wait so that’s like $125 for a CIB SNES and a bunch of (good) CIB games? That’s loving ridiculous

Exactly.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Each one of those games probably costs more than $125 CIB.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Waltzing Along posted:

N64 apologists. Nintendo's a cult.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

that tears it. Imma buy a wii and another copy of baroque and I'm going to play through it

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

The four or so N64 only games are games I love and they haven’t really been remade. But past that It is probably my least favorite Nintendo system (that I own!).
So I will be buying the new digital out kit and an everdrive.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Imagined posted:

That's funny. I was just thinking, "There should be a word for the kind of anti-pedantic where a person takes something that was hyperbole or with obvious unspoken qualifiers and insists on reading it literally."

Pretend I said "100%" and "worth playing" then, unless you want to play a demo for FIFA2014 or Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs.

But yes, you are right. It is more than a dozen XBLA games*.

lol okay

Random Stranger posted:

I think GameCube is probably the end of the line for rocketing prices. By the time you hit the Wii, there's enough collectors and people buying as "investments" that there will be more than enough copies of anything desirable to go around.

It certainly helps that there's like..what four times as many Wiis out there as Cubes?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The N64 has some of my favorite games on it but it was a terrible system overall. Would be the worst Nintendo if the Virtual boy didn’t exist.

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004
Can anyone recommend a source for replacement snes cart shells / labels? I have some grody yellow carts with messed up labels for games that are otherwise fine.

Found some on Ali express but I hesitate to buy anything from there...

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

What is the ranking for "bad" Nintendo consoles? There's kinda two criteria: bad for you (at the time) and bad for Nintendo as a company.
  • Virtual Boy? (lol)
  • N64
  • GameCube
  • Wii U

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

kirbysuperstar posted:

It certainly helps that there's like..what four times as many Wiis out there as Cubes?

It's close to ten times as many, but there's also been a huge spike in PS2 prices. Not as much because GameCube stuff isn't as common, of course. It just seems like all of the twenty year old stuff has been shooting up and I don't see it happewith the Wii or PS3.

Bad Nintendo Console Rankings
64DD
DSi
New 3DS

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

McCracAttack posted:

What is the ranking for "bad" Nintendo consoles? There's kinda two criteria: bad for you (at the time) and bad for Nintendo as a company.
  • Virtual Boy? (lol)
  • N64
  • GameCube
  • Wii U

:mods:

Honestly, though, I liked the Gamecube and WiiU a lot. The N64 had a LOT of chaff. The Brawler64 really helps make it feel less jank, though.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

McCracAttack posted:

• Virtual Boy? (lol)
  • N64
  • GameCube
  • Wii U

Bad for Nintendo: VB, Wii U.

Bad in retrospect: VB, N64, Wii, GC. In that order.

The Wii U was a good console. Better than those other 4 certainly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

McCracAttack posted:

• Virtual Boy? (lol)
  • N64
  • GameCube
  • Wii U

1: nes, old rear end obsolete hardware by the time it had a NA release, looks like a vcr, controllers that caused severe arthritis in 90% of the kids who used them, loving r.o.b.
2: gameboy pretty much the same as above but even worse
3: wii, basically just 2 gamecubes duct taped together, miis
4: snes, this one also sucks and has no good games except metroid and some jrpgs that are now dated and boring as poo poo, it should be higher on the list but there's too much competition