Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

McCracAttack posted:

What is the ranking for "bad" Nintendo consoles? There's kinda two criteria: bad for you (at the time) and bad for Nintendo as a company.
  • Virtual Boy? (lol)
  • N64
  • GameCube
  • Wii U

2000s Nintendo is a really weird period where I feel like you have to duct tape the GC, Wii, and Wii U together to get one good console library. Each one of them has some really great highs but also enormous deficiencies. Burning third parties for two decades really took its toll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Random Stranger posted:

Bad Nintendo Console Rankings
64DD
DSi
New 3DS

I will fight you on the New 3DS because using the cameras to track the user's eyes and keep the 3D in focus on the fly was the very first time that console felt like it was working properly.

The Voice of Labor posted:

1: nes, old rear end obsolete hardware by the time it had a NA release, looks like a vcr, controllers that caused severe arthritis in 90% of the kids who used them, loving r.o.b.
2: gameboy pretty much the same as above but even worse
3: wii, basically just 2 gamecubes duct taped together, miis
4: snes, this one also sucks and has no good games except metroid and some jrpgs that are now dated and boring as poo poo, it should be higher on the list but there's too much competition

lol nah

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Feb 7, 2021

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Zophar posted:

2000s Nintendo is a really weird period where I feel like you have to duct tape the GC, Wii, and Wii U together to get one good console library. Each one of them has some really great highs but also enormous deficiencies. Burning third parties for two decades really took its toll.

Yeah, the WiiU's library is kind of a mess. Once we get the last few games ported to Switch, it's kind of lost the reason to have it hooked up besides using it as a Wii. I'm kind of curious what you'd say is deficient about the Wii or GC libraries, though.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
I would unironically contend that NES hardware was p' bad, with a few exceptions the NA library wasn't that great until, like at least late '87, that nintendo basically lucked/smb'ed into console dominance

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
I'd say the GC library is pretty strong and a lot of it still looks and holds up pretty well today. The Wii would likely be in the same boat but all the waggle controls hurt a lot of otherwise good to great games in retrospect. The WiiU was fine but everything worth playing on it is now on the Switch bar the Zelda HD remake.

The N64 did little for me when it was current and even less for me now. Anything good on it is easily available elsewhere and normally better. I think 30 year olds that grew up with it as their first console likely have a lot of rose colored glasses on with it. Much like those that had the 2600, there are some good games but it is real painful dealing with aged graphics to enjoy them now unless you have that nostalgia. Granted a lot of the 3D from that 32-bit era is REAL hard to play now at least for myself. When the Tony Hawk remasters came out I went to play the PSX versions of Tony Hawk 1 and 2 and while the game play is the same those games look rough as hell.

I keep wishing that Sega would do a remake/remaster of Burning Rangers. That is one game that was so far ahead of it's time that would benefit from modern graphics and controls.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

NES hardware definitely wasn’t cutting edge which is why mapper chips became so common

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Zophar posted:

For good or ill, Nintendo was trying to avoid direct competition with Sony and Microsoft whenever possible because they had deeper pockets. Their plan was to make consoles so unique that the games couldn't be easily ported to competing systems. The DS and Wii are the prime example of this.

Not saying it was a good plan, but according to interviews that was the plan.

Edit: Also, the Wii U pushed hard on third party games out of the gate. Mass Effect 3 was on Wii U at launch. Hilarious in retrospect.

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Feb 7, 2021

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

It’s weird to think that when both were announced, the DS was seen as a joke and the PSP was predicted to be the future of handheld gaming. Not that the PSP did poorly but the DS ended up being an absolutely massive success

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

McCracAttack posted:

I will fight you on the New 3DS because using the cameras to track the user's eyes and keep the 3D in focus on the fly was the very first time that console felt like it was working properly.

I was ranking solely on games. I keep meaning to pick up a New 3DS to replace my launch day 3DS, but the games that require it are not worth it.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Pablo Nergigante posted:

It’s weird to think that when both were announced, the DS was seen as a joke and the PSP was predicted to be the future of handheld gaming. Not that the PSP did poorly but the DS ended up being an absolutely massive success

I guess that proves Nintendo's "games you can't play anywhere else" strategy worked. Most of the PSP games where just PS2/PS3 games again but trimmed down a bit. So if you had the choice you'd probably go with a PS2 or PS3 version of God of War instead of the PSP version. But Brain Age, Nintendogs, and Pokemon were on the DS and not the GameCube or Wii.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Pablo Nergigante posted:

To be fair, the launch library was, uh, dire. Definitely improved over time, though. It was months before we got Trace Memory, that weird Kirby game, or Meteos. And even longer for Nintendogs and Brain Age.

Asphalt Urban GT (Ubisoft - racing.)
Feel the Magic: XY/XX (Sonic Team/Sega - 'girlfriend simulator'.)
Madden NFL 2005 (Electronic Arts - American football.)
Mr. Driller: Drill Spirits (Namco - puzzle.)
Ping Pals (THQ - instant messenging.)
Rayman DS (Ubisoft - platform.)
Ridge Racer DS (Namco - racing.)
Spider-Man 2 (Activision - action.)
Super Mario 64 DS (Nintendo, action/platform.)
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2005 (Electronic Arts - sports.)
The Urbz: Sims in the City (Electronic Arts - strategy.)

And before you say the same thing about my beloved GameCube, Luigi's Mansion is a masterpiece.

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

Echophonic posted:

Yeah, the WiiU's library is kind of a mess. Once we get the last few games ported to Switch, it's kind of lost the reason to have it hooked up besides using it as a Wii. I'm kind of curious what you'd say is deficient about the Wii or GC libraries, though.

My recollection is that the Wii completely missed out on what the rest of the industry was doing on the PS3/360 and instead got a lot of stripped down spin-offs that rarely rose above the shovelware flotsam.

On Gamecube things were better but it still feels like there was a lot less going on there even in contrast with the Xbox and especially against the PS2. Both are held up by the strength of Nintendo's first party stuff and I don't think it's all that controversial to say the GC was one of their weaker eras. My GC recollection might also be colored by how much *more* there was to do on PS2, in virtually every genre.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
is wii gc backwards compatibility, like, 100% 1-1 hardware or is there software emulation and stuff too?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

is wii gc backwards compatibility, like, 100% 1-1 hardware or is there software emulation and stuff too?

The white wiis are hardware. The other ones aren't compatible at all.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Wii's is 100% hardware if you have one with GC ports. If you don't, I think you're stuck with Nintendon't and can't do the GBA-connected games, for obvious reasons. Nintendon't is also how you do it on the WiiU. Pretty sure Nintendon't is hardware, not 100%, though. I figure if it works on the vWii on the WiiU, it'll work on a Wii Mini.

If you have one laying around and don't have a GC, a softmodded WiiU with a USB adapter is a pretty good way to play GameCube games with native HDMI out and real controllers. Have to use virtual memory cards, though.

Zophar posted:

My recollection is that the Wii completely missed out on what the rest of the industry was doing on the PS3/360 and instead got a lot of stripped down spin-offs that rarely rose above the shovelware flotsam.

On Gamecube things were better but it still feels like there was a lot less going on there even in contrast with the Xbox and especially against the PS2. Both are held up by the strength of Nintendo's first party stuff and I don't think it's all that controversial to say the GC was one of their weaker eras. My GC recollection might also be colored by how much *more* there was to do on PS2, in virtually every genre.

Yeah, I don't particularly disagree, much as I like all three of those consoles.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Feb 7, 2021

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Zophar posted:

The Wii was hurt by the fact that it wasn’t HD. The 360 and to a lesser extent the PS3 titles couldn’t be ported over well at all due to assets. You saw some third parties port over PS2 titles but that did even worse due to how dated PS2 stuff looked compared to the Wii native titles.

Third parties on the Wii hosed themselves really since early on a lot of what they released was awful shovelwave ports which were made to look even worse by what Nintendo was releasing. By the time third parties realized how much of a monster success the Wii was and started to make real native games for it the well was poisoned. There is some great third party titles for it, Sega for example made several, but it was too little and too late. For a lot of people it became the Wii Sports/Mario Kart machine.

The GameCube was actually great, most multiplatform titles were the best on the GC. It just was overshadowed by the massive PS2 install base like everyone was. Of that generation I’d say the GC library is the one that holds up the best with both first party and third party software.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
The best thing on the Wii was the Quake port with wiimote aiming

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Gamecube has Super Monkey Ball 2 so it could truly never be the worst Nintendo system

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
People complain about waggle, but I remember the moment that Skyward Sword clicked for me. Like, yeah, gently caress the Imprisoned and everything, but god drat was that game good once you got it.

I mean, I also think I gave myself tennis elbow one time from Boom Blox, so maybe waggle is a land of contrasts.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Feb 7, 2021

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Echophonic posted:

Skyward Sword , but god drat was that game good once you got it.

LMAO

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Skyward Sword would be good if they removed everything that existed between dungeons

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Echophonic posted:

People complain about waggle, but I remember the moment that Skyward Sword clicked for me. Like, yeah, gently caress the Imprisoned and everything, but god drat was that game good once you got it.

I mean, I also think I gave myself tennis elbow one time from Boom Blox, so maybe waggle is a land of contrasts.

Skyward Sword is my favorite of the 3D Zeldas.

Fight me.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
I still have never played Skyward Sword.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

hatty posted:

Skyward Sword would be good if they removed everything that existed between dungeons

The truest statement about SS.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

The only thing I remember about Skyward sword was how condescending the tutorials were.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I think Twilight Princess has a lot of the same problems as Skyward Sword. The dungeons and items are above average, but the stuff between has pacing problems.

Twilight Princess's later dungeons blow anything SS has out of the water. I like SS's cast a lot better, though. More colorful and fun, even if Fi never shuts the gently caress up. It also does not feature Ooccoo and all the misshapen children.

You know what? I think I suppressed the whole Fi thing. I may have to walk back my overall praise of SS some.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Feb 7, 2021

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

What in the absolute gently caress? Did they forget to add a zero to those prices?

nah fam they're in the junk pile, because NTSC-U carts don't work on Japanese systems so they're clearly junk!!!! :haw:

no clue where that specific Hard/Book-Off is, but it could as well be inside Tokyo from somebody who brought those over (and then had a wife throw them out lol). There are some Book-Offs/used shops in general that tend to have more English/foreign language stuff depending on what the balance of locals is.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

1: nes, old rear end obsolete hardware by the time it had a NA release, looks like a vcr, controllers that caused severe arthritis in 90% of the kids who used them, loving r.o.b.
2: gameboy pretty much the same as above but even worse
3: wii, basically just 2 gamecubes duct taped together, miis
4: snes, this one also sucks and has no good games except metroid and some jrpgs that are now dated and boring as poo poo, it should be higher on the list but there's too much competition

Wow I guess I'm still logged in to the GameFAQs message boards

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

harperdc posted:

nah fam they're in the junk pile, because NTSC-U carts don't work on Japanese systems so they're clearly junk!!!! :haw:

no clue where that specific Hard/Book-Off is, but it could as well be inside Tokyo from somebody who brought those over (and then had a wife throw them out lol). There are some Book-Offs/used shops in general that tend to have more English/foreign language stuff depending on what the balance of locals is.

When I was living in Tokyo in the late 90s you'd find random US NES/SNES/Genesis stuff in weird places that there should be no reason why it should be there. For example I was in a little shop in a town outside of Sapporo that had stuff made in the 60s still for sale and somehow had new, sealed NES Black Box games, a couple random new, sealed SNES titles for example Bubsy was one and some Genesis titles. Maybe a dozen games, no other video games in the store. Any time I saw US stuff in Japan outside of like Akihabara was a situation like that. US Playstation stuff was pretty easy to find if you knew where to look as was N64. I know around Okinawa you can find a lot of US stuff due to the US military presence.

A friend of mine went to visit a little over a year ago before COVID and found a bunch of random new Famicom and SuFami games for sale in a shop he randomly stopped at. Nothing particularly interesting game wise, but he bought them for the thrill of buying new Famicom and SuFami games in 2019.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Djarum posted:

When I was living in Tokyo in the late 90s you'd find random US NES/SNES/Genesis stuff in weird places that there should be no reason why it should be there. For example I was in a little shop in a town outside of Sapporo that had stuff made in the 60s still for sale and somehow had new, sealed NES Black Box games, a couple random new, sealed SNES titles for example Bubsy was one and some Genesis titles. Maybe a dozen games, no other video games in the store. Any time I saw US stuff in Japan outside of like Akihabara was a situation like that. US Playstation stuff was pretty easy to find if you knew where to look as was N64. I know around Okinawa you can find a lot of US stuff due to the US military presence.

A friend of mine went to visit a little over a year ago before COVID and found a bunch of random new Famicom and SuFami games for sale in a shop he randomly stopped at. Nothing particularly interesting game wise, but he bought them for the thrill of buying new Famicom and SuFami games in 2019.

I saw a used U.S. copy of Battletoads in a random recycle shop in suburban Nagasaki prefecture for over $100, I've been here for a while and seen some silly things.

might try to go by the local shopping street of Off shops but, you know, pandemic.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Does the walkthrough in that issue ever mention Raiden? Because I remember reading an unofficial guide of some kind that was an actual guide but every screenshot was in FPS mode and was incredibly vague about actually details that wasn’t direct instructions. Looking at that cover sparked a memory for me I think

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

Djarum posted:

I still have never played Skyward Sword.

Same here. Even bought a motion plus wiimote just to play it. Never got around to it .

Son of a Vondruke! fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Feb 7, 2021

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
Looking up Skyward Sword gameplay, because I realized I've never even seen what it looks like. I probably should get around to playing Windwaker and Twilight Princess before giving Skyward a shot though.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

Zophar posted:

My recollection is that the Wii completely missed out on what the rest of the industry was doing on the PS3/360

I'd rather play a bad Zelda than a good GRAW of Duty

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

harperdc posted:

I saw a used U.S. copy of Battletoads in a random recycle shop in suburban Nagasaki prefecture for over $100, I've been here for a while and seen some silly things.

might try to go by the local shopping street of Off shops but, you know, pandemic.

Wait I also live in suburban Nagasaki hey there

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

harperdc posted:

Famicom Battletoads is pretty rare and it sounds like they priced it based on that. Which doesn't excuse that price tag, just explains it.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Skyward Sword isn't horrible but it's definitely my least favourite 3D Zelda. I remember feeling horribly let down when I realised the three surface areas weren't going to end up being joined together, Zelda with a hub world is some bullshit tbh. Dungeons were great, motion control stuff was great, Groose was great, but the glue between the high points was pretty unpleasant most of the time.

Also the way it resets the flags that indicate if you've picked up an item of a given type before every time you boot it up, so you get to see the "you got a blue rupee!" text over and over again throughout the game. I want to believe that was an oversight, but considering how handholdy all of the other tutorial stuff was...

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
The stupid stealth bits in Skyward were what broke me in the end, though the Imprisoned fights and the motion controls in general were really bad too.

Hot Stunt
Oct 2, 2009

Turned on my 29 inch Trinitron for the first time in like a year with the intention of taking some photos of it to sell it. I stopped using it because it has some corner convergence issues that were bugging the poo poo out of me whenever I played something on it. I forgot how big and bright and colourful it was. Ended up playing Super Nintendo games on it for a couple of hours and now I'm questioning whether I should get rid of it. Might have a look at getting some magnetic strips to fix the convergence problem (which isn't really that severe, I just find it distracting), but I hate the idea of having to fiddle around with the inside of the TV while it's turned on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
I'll always be partial to Skyward Sword because it has my favorite art direction in any 3D Zelda (probably followed by Wind Waker then BotW). Its particular mix of impressionism, color palette, character/object design, and lighting feel so unique and evocative.