Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonstrousMouse
Apr 15, 2014

King of Solomon posted:

I just finished Ys 9. Very good game, as all of the Ys games are. If this is what Falcom's politics are, I never want to see them talk about politics again.

Haven't played Ys 9 yet, but Cold Steel 4 gave me some major Spineless Centrist vibes. Introducing a faction that's literally the free world banding together to fight against totalitarianism, and then the playable characters NOT joining up, because War Is Bad? Come on!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I haven't finished it yet, but Ys IX has a significant amount of "poor people are lazy and need to learn the value of Hard Work instead of getting handouts" both explicitly a few times and also more subtly all throughout the game.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Feb 7, 2021

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
who plays a Ys game for politics

I came here for two things: to slash monsters, and listen to awesome music

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
So in Ys 8, I think I am in Chapter 5 (where Dana joins Adols party proper ) How much is left of the game because christ it feels like it adds something else once I think it starting to wind down.

Cheap Ass Bitch
Dec 3, 2006
I AM A CHEAP BASTARD! PLEASE MOCK ME!

Unlucky7 posted:

So in Ys 8, I think I am in Chapter 5 (where Dana joins Adols party proper ) How much is left of the game because christ it feels like it adds something else once I think it starting to wind down.

I just finished Ys 8 today and you've got chapter 5 and 6 left, maybe 10-15 hours of game.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I took Jusis with me to Crossbell in Part 1 CS4 and I like how his reaction to all the Ironblood/Ouroboros people is just "you murdered Millium you pieces of poo poo what the gently caress is wrong with you." They at least allow some of the characters to be righteously angry at these dumb assholes even if said dumb assholes are obviously going to be considered good in the end.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Jusis probably shines consistently through CS4, I would say.

He's got some anger in his heart and sass in his step.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Shinjobi posted:

Jusis probably shines consistently through CS4, I would say.

He's got some anger in his heart and sass in his step.

Yeah, I think he might be the only character that's the case for? Pretty much everyone else just has an attitude like "Why are you doing this?" or "I'll make you come to your senses!" or "I'll show you how far I've come!", etc. I'm pretty sure that if I took Alisa with me I would have either gotten some "I'll bring you home Sharon!" or a repeat of the "I'll show you how much I've grown up!" thing from the end of CS3. But Jusis's attitude is more of a "complete disbelief and anger at what these dumb assholes are doing."

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

King of Solomon posted:

I just finished Ys 9. Very good game, as all of the Ys games are. If this is what Falcom's politics are, I never want to see them talk about politics again.

But that's what people like about the Trails games.

Azathoth256
Mar 30, 2010
If ys9 represents the politics the trails writers actually believe in, then I never want to play another falcom game again.

Azathoth256
Mar 30, 2010
Ys9 itself is mostly just adol being adol though, which is going "hell yes, adventure!" no matter the circumstances.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Ok i'm still pretty early in Ys IX, just in chapter 4, but is there more to the game's dumb politics than White Cat's stuff in Shantytown? Because that's super bad and I've pretty much just started skipping any scenes involving it, but I was under the impression from earlier posts in this thread that that's pretty much the big thing about the game that sucks. Kinda getting the feeling from newer posts that there's way more terrible stuff than that, or is it just that White Cat's plot never improves from beginning to end?

Azathoth256
Mar 30, 2010
It's mostly just white cat's plotline, don't worry about it too much. I mean, the game itself as a whole is still good.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It occasionally comes up in other places too like the sidequest when you have to rescue the leader of the Gallian resistance from prison and Yufa attacks her for making things worse because people just want to live their lives peacefully under oppression. It's not huge thing, there's just this annoying undercurrent whenever it thinks its saying something vaguely meaningful.
The shanty town White Cat stuff is pretty loving bad though.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Junpei posted:

yes how stupid we are for actually getting invested in the story and being disappointed when it does stupid poo poo

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
It just has this overall worldview that society is the way it is for good reason, and that any attempts to make things better for people are fundamentally bad. It's not always as blatant about it as the White Cat thing, but it's a constant low-level undercurrent.

They also pretty regularly refer back to the White Cat thing as a joke, like it's a huge embarrassment for her that she tried to help the poor, and they tease her about it.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Feb 7, 2021

Azathoth256
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah, it's not a blatant constant in-your-face thing, but it's jarring enough to make me stop and question how they portray that sort of thing in general.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Junpei posted:

This is a lovely dismissal of bad writing.

Azathoth256
Mar 30, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

Yeah, it's great that you're having fun with the game, but don't just dismiss this poo poo.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

It occasionally comes up in other places too like the sidequest when you have to rescue the leader of the Gallian resistance from prison and Yufa attacks her for making things worse because people just want to live their lives peacefully under oppression. It's not huge thing, there's just this annoying undercurrent whenever it thinks its saying something vaguely meaningful.
The shanty town White Cat stuff is pretty loving bad though.

Yeah, the vibe I was getting is that when it tries to be nuanced it doesn't actually have much to say so it just ends up both-sidesing the situation. Like, going "truly the poor are also to blame" or "the prison is actually pretty alright and only a little corrupt".

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

kirbysuperstar posted:

It's been true of every Ys game I've played. 9 isn't special in that regard.

I didn't play Ys 1&2 for their plot.

I didn't play Oath in Felghana for it's plot.

I didn't play Memories of Celceta for it's plot.

I didn't play Ark of Napishtim for it's plot.

I didn't play Seven for it's plot.

And I didn't play Lacrimosa of Dana for it's plot.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

King of Solomon posted:

Ys: Adol Shrugged

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
tbf it's not all that surprising that the child of the dominant capitalist in the walled city state built around a prison is a "the poors will just get drunk and gamble if you give them money" kind of person.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Junpei posted:

It's been true of every Ys game I've played. 9 isn't special in that regard.

I didn't play Ys 1&2 for their plot.

I didn't play Oath in Felghana for it's plot.

I didn't play Memories of Celceta for it's plot.

I didn't play Ark of Napishtim for it's plot.

I didn't play Seven for it's plot.

And I didn't play Lacrimosa of Dana for it's plot.
Do you not understand how responding to people complaining about awful politics in the writing with "who even cares about that lol" comes off

Idkbutlike2
Nov 5, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

It occasionally comes up in other places too like the sidequest when you have to rescue the leader of the Gallian resistance from prison and Yufa attacks her for making things worse because people just want to live their lives peacefully under oppression.

I'm gonna play devil's advocate here and say that I probably wouldn't want to start a hopeless revolution against the Ys-universe equivalent of the Roman Empire - an empire known for putting those down quite brutally. The political ideals of such a movement would not justify the inevitable amount of death and destruction it would lead to.

MonstrousMouse
Apr 15, 2014

Clarste posted:

It just has this overall worldview that society is the way it is for good reason, and that any attempts to make things better for people are fundamentally bad. It's not always as blatant about it as the White Cat thing, but it's a constant low-level undercurrent.

Persona 5 had this problem too. It's a game ostensibly about playing as marginalized people and rebelling against a corrupt system, but then it turns out that actually society is hunky dory and it's only this small handful of people who are bad, and once you change their hearts we can go back to the totally good enough status quo. Maybe it's a JRPG thing.

Amppelix posted:

Do you not understand how responding to people complaining about awful politics in the writing with "who even cares about that lol" comes off

Also this.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It would be fine as a singular observation but constant undercurrent of 'anyone who tries to change things in any way is in the wrong' rankles, especially since the game has a habit of not only making them wrong but also someone out to be the bad guy. Poor people given help become lazy and ungrateful, the freedom fighters turn into nothing but petty thieves when left leaderless, the guy who the Pendleton corporation abandoned the second the wind was blowing towards Romun was actually making substandard material and refused to change etc.

Idkbutlike2
Nov 5, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

It would be fine as a singular observation but constant undercurrent of 'anyone who tries to change things in any way is in the wrong' rankles, especially since the game has a habit of not only making them wrong but also someone out to be the bad guy. Poor people given help become lazy and ungrateful, the freedom fighters turn into nothing but petty thieves when left leaderless, the guy who the Pendleton corporation abandoned the second the wind was blowing towards Romun was actually making substandard material and refused to change etc.

I don't know what you're referring to with the freedom fighters bit (probably haven't gotten there yet), but I would hope there are better ways to help the poor than stealing from your own family's coffers and throwing the gold on the street. That doesn't address the actual problems in Shantytown, like the pollution being caused by the prison mines. Nor would I interpret two lazy drunkards taking advantage of that gold as a blanket assessment of poor people on the game's part. And it's weird how you're complaining about the game being against change, then also complaining about a guy changing his business associations to be more competitive in the market. Also, the guy tried to give everyone at the masquerade diarrhea, so screw him.

I don't know. Maybe I'll change my mind about things when I finish the game. I just got Renegade in my party and I'm going to the old Nors Ruins.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

so I heard ys 9 runs like poo poo on ps 4, anyone know if this is tru

Idkbutlike2
Nov 5, 2011

Agean90 posted:

It does. I'm playing on a PS4 Slim and it chugs in certain places. Especially in Balduq.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Is Y's Origins the same as 1/2?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Is Y's Origins the same as 1/2?

Nope, it's a prequel. Takes place hundreds of years before Ys 1.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Agean90 posted:

I wouldn't say it *chugs* but it definitely has some slowdown in both the city overworld and a couple fairly important dungeons. Runs worse than 8 across the board, for sure.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I can see why Falcom decided they needed a new engine, they got rid of a lot of the loading barriers in Ys 9 to have more big open spaces and that was the result. That said it plays okay on my Pro, technical issues are more lots of pop in and frame pacing, not the actual frame rate.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Agean90 posted:

Said it earlier, It's played like a dream so far for 7 hours.

About the "Politics"

Only finished chapter 2 cuz its too cold to sit at my PS4, but Ehhhhh, personally, I think it was more about "Drunk bastards are too far gone and Kids are too impressionable" rather than "helping the poor is bad. And tbf raining money is an awful idea no matter what. The flower shop was a much better idea, but why not hire people to clean up and paint.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

MythosDragon posted:

Said it earlier, It's played like a dream so far for 7 hours.

About the "Politics"

Only finished chapter 2 cuz its too cold to sit at my PS4, but Ehhhhh, personally, I think it was more about "Drunk bastards are too far gone and Kids are too impressionable" rather than "helping the poor is bad. And tbf raining money is an awful idea no matter what. The flower shop was a much better idea, but why not hire people to clean up and paint.

The nicest thing I can say about the politics is that the White Cat stuff comes off very poorly and, as for later stuff, well.

At least they're not pro empire? (endgame)There are multiple instances where the party takes action against freedom fighters, and one of the main villains is doing his very bad things with the attempt to have a free Gllia. The fact that you don't ever really meaningfully oppose empire yourself makes this come off extremely poorly. It's spineless liberalism at best.

King of Solomon fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Feb 7, 2021

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I get some strange hitching in Ys IX around Balduq but the cutscenes with Aprilis preceding the Grimwald encounters run VERY poorly. Like something out of the PS2. It's bizarre.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Actually forget it

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Feb 7, 2021

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
yeah this is sounding like one of those self-reliance bromides that might have passed muster in the nineties or something but come off as more of a punchline today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

SyntheticPolygon posted:

But that's what people like about the Trails games.

Let's be clear here: having stories and characters that care about politics is cool and good. The specific political attitudes conveyed by the writing in the Trails games are pathetic, so no surprise at all that Ys has similar issues.