Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

live with fruit posted:

I don't think anyone knew Simmons was going to be in Far From Home.

That too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Both of those have some benefits in that no casting notice had to be given out to agencies, and the men in question never had to be on set with the rest of the cast and anything but a bare minimum crew.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Gaz-L posted:

Both of those have some benefits in that no casting notice had to be given out to agencies, and the men in question never had to be on set with the rest of the cast and anything but a bare minimum crew.

So they're just bringing back Ioan Gruffudd?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Or Miles "Goose Jr" Teller.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

They managed to keep Agnes’s name from leaking, so there is some discipline with is show.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Gaz-L posted:

It's worded weirdly if she means herself. It definitely reads as 'I can come up with the big picture, but I have a buddy who could do the nuts and bolts'. She was talking to Darcy about the theory, more like a physics problem than the actual practicality of building the thing.

I read it as like a "this guy" kind of comment, hence the smirk. But I can see it the other way too. I don't really know what Monica's expertise is so I just assumed since there was no followup besides her figuring out a trick to get in with the drone.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
If there is one thing Disney is REALLY good at is keeping a secret. Even if it is something that they know they can't control from getting out they are good at seeding false information out there to minimize it's effect.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWBsDaFWyTE

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Djarum posted:

If there is one thing Disney is REALLY good at is keeping a secret. Even if it is something that they know they can't control from getting out they are good at seeding false information out there to minimize it's effect.

Yeah, and the accomplish this by severely punishing anyone who talks.

Seriously, from what I've seen if you work for Disney never tell anyone anything you know, it's not worth losing your job over.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

I kinda wish there was/is more focus on Sharon in this, she's a great character in the comics, and they just jumped through a bunch of hoops to de-age her there, so I'm hoping maybe there is more in the actual show.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

This is giving me big Hobbs and Shaw vibes except with 2 way more boring leads.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

That's definitely Madripoor in that trailer.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Gaz-L posted:

I kinda wish there was/is more focus on Sharon in this, she's a great character in the comics, and they just jumped through a bunch of hoops to de-age her there, so I'm hoping maybe there is more in the actual show.

wait, de-aged? did i miss something there because it looked like she's mid-30s or whatever

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Jagermonster posted:

X-men are still waiting for the “No, more mutants” line to all come crashing in (to the soundtrack of the 90s cartoon)

This is your periodic reminder that as hard as the US theme went, the JP theme somehow went harder.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

Gaz-L posted:

i was confused by what you meant by de-aging Sharon when Emily Vancamp is only 34 but i had completely forgotten about Sharon being aged up in (I think) Remender's run. how did she get de-aged in the comics anyway

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

eke out posted:

wait, de-aged? did i miss something there because it looked like she's mid-30s or whatever

The comics had to de-age her (her and Steve were old because of comic book stuff, he got better, she hadn't until recently).

FoneBone posted:

i was confused by what you meant by de-aging Sharon when Emily Vancamp is only 34 but i had completely forgotten about Sharon being aged up in (I think) Remender's run. how did she get de-aged in the comics anyway

In the recent TNC run, they run into a MAGA-ish cult run by X-Men villain Selene in middle America. Selene had stolen Sharon's soul, and during a big fight (during which Sharon was in the Iron Patriot armour, alongside Cap, Bucky and Sam), they stole her magic doodad. Shuri then used her comic book Wakandan mystic powers to put the soul back, but she also put a bunch of the other victims' energy into her (because they were already dead so it had nowhere to go), which brought her back to her original age... and maybe made her a super-soldier?

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Feb 8, 2021

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Gaz-L posted:

The comics had to de-age her (her and Steve were old because of comic book stuff, he got better, she hadn't until recently).

oh! gotcha

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

If they don't make Bucky's question to "how old ARE you?" be "probably about 100 now?" that's a missed joke opportunity.

Loser_Rex
Apr 14, 2006

Spidercock? Here?

Cael posted:

If they don't make Bucky's question to "how old ARE you?" be "probably about 100 now?" that's a missed joke opportunity.

My first thought as well. They both should answer truthfully.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
"You mean counting the Blip or not? Cuz if ya count it... 103 this June?"

Edit: Back to WandaVision: I haven't seen anyone comment much on the fact that Agnes' defining trait as a character on the sitcom seems to be 'lush', which could certainly have darker implications. Like, is she drinking to cope with this hosed up situation and the sitcom reality makes that a 'funny character tic', like she's Karen from Will & Grace or something?

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Feb 8, 2021

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Falcon and the Winter Soldier looks like poo poo. Bummer.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I mean, it looks like Cap 4, which is what I expected. Again, the plan was for this to be the first of these shows, so it's "hey, it's the MCU but on your TV", and then Loki and WandaVision were meant to get a little weirder (but still marketably so). But COVID happened and here we are.

radlum
May 13, 2013
I liked the first look we had on December more than this trailer; it felt OK. I can already see the hot takes about how "standard MCU" this series is, compared to WandaVision.

Still, I'm looking forward to it; I feel like there's gonna be more interesting themes that they haven't included in this trailer and I love Zemo, Bucky and Sam, so I'll be optimistic.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

PierreTheMime posted:

Somehow get Leopold Fitz on as a tie-in/cameo. I don’t even know where he is in terms of timeline and universe but Ian De Caestecker is great and a minor tie-in for Agents of SHIELD would be cool.

This will never happen. :negative:

Calling in just Fitz or Simmons makes the situation much more dangerous. He'd get stuck in yet another mind control / robot-who-looks-like-a-person / weird magic scenario, and Simmons would have to sharpen up the bone knife again. Too graphic for Disney+.

Honestly, Hawkeye seems like the guy to call. He knows Wanda, knew Vision, and being a family man, might actually be able to relate. Plus, is a person who knows about experiencing loss.

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

If Zemo's inclusion in TFATWS is leading up to Thunderbolts in some way then I don't even know what I'm gonna do.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Does the MCU have enough villains that lived through their movies' endings to do a Thunderbolts? Introducing a bunch of heroes then saying "TWIST they were villains" when we didn't see them be villains seems...sorta dumb.

EDIT: I actually thought about it. Zemo, Batroc, let's say Yellowjacket from Ant-Man survived, one the Damage Control guys from Homecoming, Ghost as 'the one who actually wants to go heroic'.

Sure, that's enough.

Boxman fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Feb 8, 2021

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

OB_Juan posted:

Calling in just Fitz or Simmons makes the situation much more dangerous. He'd get stuck in yet another mind control / robot-who-looks-like-a-person / weird magic scenario, and Simmons would have to sharpen up the bone knife again. Too graphic for Disney+.

Honestly, Hawkeye seems like the guy to call. He knows Wanda, knew Vision, and being a family man, might actually be able to relate. Plus, is a person who knows about experiencing loss.

If you want to find out the limits to Wanda's power just have her kidnap one or the other and you will find out real fast. Like imagine if they were in the Thanos snap timeline and one of them got snapped but the other didn't...

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

Probably not if for the twist route, but as a Suicide Squad/Dirty Dozen kinda series like the Parker run? Sure.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Falcon and the Winter Soldier is descendent of the Russo Brother's MCU films so it makes sense that all the footage so far falls in line with that. Seeing it in a streaming/TV format will at the very least be kind of novel, even the best action-focused TV shows tend to look pretty rough compared their cinematic contemporaries, there seems to be a distinct lack of Generic Concrete Hallway for one.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Feb 8, 2021

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Boxman posted:

Does the MCU have enough villains that lived through their movies' endings to do a Thunderbolts? Introducing a bunch of heroes then saying "TWIST they were villains" when we didn't see them be villains seems...sorta dumb.

EDIT: I actually thought about it. Zemo, Batroc, let's say Yellowjacket from Ant-Man survived, one the Damage Control guys from Homecoming, Ghost.

Sure, that's enough.

Dustin Jammer.

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

I wouldn't be surprised to see them pitch US Agent a bit more villainous and that'd make him a candidate. Maybe even Abomination?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

CaptainApathyUK posted:

I wouldn't be surprised to see them pitch US Agent a bit more villainous and that'd make him a candidate. Maybe even Abomination?

Abomination is meant to be in She-Hulk. Which should be a trip if that show sticks with the most successful tone for the title character.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Gaz-L posted:

Abomination is meant to be in She-Hulk. Which should be a trip if that show sticks with the most successful tone for the title character.

Given the show runners past work I think we can be pretty confident they’ll be sticking to comedy.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Boxman posted:

EDIT: I actually thought about it. Zemo, Batroc, let's say Yellowjacket from Ant-Man survived, one the Damage Control guys from Homecoming, Ghost as 'the one who actually wants to go heroic'.

Sure, that's enough.

put deadpool's juggernaut on the thunderbolts

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Roth actually hasn't done much comedy since Rosencrantz & Guildenstern, so it'll be neat to see how he fits in.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Boxman posted:

Sure, that's enough.

You also could use Justin Hammer or The Vulture. Who, I suppose you could have meant within the Damage Control group, but who is distinct enough that he could be mentioned separate from them. Technically there are a few others who have survived, like Mordo or a lot of the named Kree from Captain Marvel, but they're either mid plot of their own (like Mordo wanting to kill sorcerers) or not really suitable since they're mostly operating in space and have no reason to care about Earth. You could probably stick a Skrull in there though.

tsob fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Feb 8, 2021

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

tsob posted:

You also could use Justin Hammer or The Vulture. Who, I suppose you could have meant within the Damage Control group, but who is distinct enough that he could be mentioned separate from them.

For some bizarre reason (other than he's played by Michael Keaton), the Vulture seems to be the lynchpin for the zombie corpse of a Spider-Man adjacent shared universe at Sony.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

tsob posted:

You also could use Justin Hammer or The Vulture. Who, I suppose you could have meant within the Damage Control group, but who is distinct enough that he could be mentioned separate from them.

if sony ends up doing a sinister six as well then michael keaton could be looking at some paychecks

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lunatic Sledge posted:

if sony ends up doing a sinister six as well then michael keaton could be looking at some paychecks

The fact that there could be a three way bidding war over Keaton makes me very happy for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
That TFATWS trailer looks awesome. "it looks too much like Russos" uh you mean the best films from the MCU? It sure does. :buddy: Get well soon y'all.