Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the coolest, raddest demon lady in all the land?
This poll is closed.
Bowsette 62 17.22%
Bowsette 40 11.11%
Bowsette 44 12.22%
Bowsette 39 10.83%
Bowsette 47 13.06%
128 35.56%
Total: 195 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

he says theres no way to make that shirt cool but i think simply selling it at a certain kind of fashion store it would become both cool and unreasonably expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
mega man volnutt is once more forever stuck on the moon

it's not a perfect game (for one, everything is so expensive) but i still love it so. now i'm starting up misadventures of tron bonne for the first time. my first impressions are that i wish the other legends games had these great 2d portraits and also wow tron's r&d outfit is way better than her standard look wtf

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Cardiovorax posted:

Speaking of, anyone watch that Castlevania animated show they made a while ago? Is it any good?

Season 1 was kinda rough but also only like four episodes. Season 2 was great, though, and they made Trevor, Sypha, and Alucard a really fun trio of characters. I haven't watched season 3 yet but I've heard good things about that, too.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Alright, thanks everyone. Some mixed opinions, but it sounds like it's at least worth giving it a try.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Why's Grant always getting shafted (not Shafted) in Castlevania >:[

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I hear he's Nasty

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
His dress sense certainly is.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ady--PNMsfI

Edit:

Kuwata tsunowo vralai
Tzuriji pforaalekai
Kwondzuvai undovartu wronduwail
Tjortetei jeghi hiartro

Jinnata ivelichpfulei
Deftyoma sorepiyamei
Schidiyako alefni fatalliliya
Nic'hpisha unhoreselye

Utrashain aforenje kurasol
Towari hatasei mic'hatasei tsufrallai
Utrashain aforenje kurasol
Towari hatasei mic'hatasei tsufrallai ilja
Ullilya kojijichatjukaijai-wa nyame
tetsumekri setsumekri linganmai
Ulreri manja huteharraku-mu hanich
lahadachfei lahadachfei shindulhwo

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Feb 8, 2021

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Cardiovorax posted:

His dress sense certainly is.

Only in the fighting game, where almost everyone's fashion sense was godawful

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Cardiovorax posted:

Alright, thanks everyone. Some mixed opinions, but it sounds like it's at least worth giving it a try.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cd7fEl_Bnw0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_EOHqTwl5s

Rewatching them I see some of the cracks in the animation but I really like the fight scenes! Something about the whip work that shows Trevor being preternaturally skilled with this rarely used weapon type gets me going, really sells that he's someone who's been trained from birth to kill vampires and other things that go bump in the night. And when you start mixing it up with all the characters abilities while Bloody Tears starts playing I can't help but hoot and holler.

The episode with the assault on the library and the Dracula fight are big standouts to me in terms of fight scenes, since they are basically episode-length confrontations where most of the season budget is dedicated. I should probably watch season 3 some time but most of my free time is usually spent playing a game. Maybe I'll be inspired this week to change that up.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

"*nutshot* ...please, this isn't a bar fight. Have some class."

Alright, I'm sold on this.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i liked season one and like, a third of season two but not enough to want to watch any more. the vampire hunter crew just sitting in a library most of the season was a bummer

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

My only exposure to Castlevania The TV Show is the Twitter discourse that is super-horny

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

When is Twitter ever not horny?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Cardiovorax posted:

When is Twitter ever not horny?

When it's sated

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Real hurthling! posted:

Such an own goal to gently caress that up

Yeah whoever made that last minute change (it was originally supposed to be like "soft approach" "hard approach" or something like that) is a grade a palooka.

Help Im Alive posted:

LA Noire one of the best games of all time?? :chloe:

Yeah it's pretty great.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Feb 8, 2021

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I was playing the 360 version of Catan again since there's no non-vr PS4 version and I'm pretty sure the current PC one is some sort of stamina bar based thing, and lmao I forgot just how obvious it is the AI is cheating and working 3v1 against the player. Literally the only difference between the ai on easy and hard is when it stops pretending. The moment the player is more than two points ahead the AI will self-sabotage in order for the runner-up to pull ahead, even if they shouldn't actually know you're going to pull ahead and win. It even helpfully shows you the roll distribution to show you exactly how much more often their resources are picked than yours (double, always; if you have any resouces the AI doesn't share, at least one will never be rolled). Through coincidence their resources centered around 5s four games in a row and wouldn't you know it every game had it so that the dice rolled 5 6 times in a row, four games in a row, and was drawn twice as much as anything else four games in a row!

It does have a system where you draw cards instead so it will always even pick all possible 'rolls' instead but lmao, it just highlights how the system works. I used to be able to beat it on occasion but it was mostly luck.

Kind of wish that PS4 version wasn't vr only

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Feb 8, 2021

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Thinking about games where AI difficulty isn't more than just juicing dice rolls. The only other way I can think of doing it is giving them a "perfect" move to pick and a threshold of variance from that move each turn. Like if you were playing someone very skilled at the game and immune to mind games you'd just hope they'd slip up one turn and be able to capitalize on it? But that doesn't seem very fun either, if that was tuned too hard. I don't think I'm in the right state rn to articulate this thought very well but I guess I'm interested in good examples of fair, reasonable but challenging AI in games. Of course, if the AI loses it was an idiot robot and if AI wins it's a cheating piece of poo poo so I don't anticipate a clear, objective answer here.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Yeah, its true for a lot of games but it's funny how blatant it is in that port. The ai even messages you telling you it thinks you're winning and will actively gently caress you, too. The difficulty just sets the score threshold for it lower

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

LawfulWaffle posted:

Thinking about games where AI difficulty isn't more than just juicing dice rolls. The only other way I can think of doing it is giving them a "perfect" move to pick and a threshold of variance from that move each turn. Like if you were playing someone very skilled at the game and immune to mind games you'd just hope they'd slip up one turn and be able to capitalize on it? But that doesn't seem very fun either, if that was tuned too hard. I don't think I'm in the right state rn to articulate this thought very well but I guess I'm interested in good examples of fair, reasonable but challenging AI in games. Of course, if the AI loses it was an idiot robot and if AI wins it's a cheating piece of poo poo so I don't anticipate a clear, objective answer here.

I know one thing is that instead of just straight difficulty you have multiple named AI characters that have different quirks that make them play in certain ways. IE, you've got Mason who tries to get his settlements around as many different numbers as possible so he always gets something no matter what the dice roll, or Kevin who loves to build around one or two numbers and just hopes to high roll and get like, 7 resources on a single roll. Charles always makes sure to get a couple of harbors so that he can cheaply trade his resources for other stuff.

I can't think of any examples right now but I 100% remember there are some games that do that sort of thing.

edit: no wait, a super obvious one is Civ. In Civ 6 every AI leader has one random agenda and one static agenda that it lives by. So Germany always hates city states, will frequently go to war to destroy them, and will hate you if you ally with a bunch of them. Of course his goal is still ultimately to win, but he's got quirks in his AI to make him feel a bit more human, and most importantly to make it so that his ultimate goal isn't just "make the player lose".

Arzaac fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Feb 8, 2021

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Finished Foregone! This was a pretty quick play, only took about 5h45m to get through the main story. The combat was fun and didn't overstay its welcome. Despite being billed as a Metroidvania, it's actually just a linear action-platformer with an art style and gameplay very reminiscent of Dead Cells. I enjoyed it even though towards the end I started to destroy everything with OP gear.

So far in 2021 I have completed:

- Trials of Mana Remake
- Foregone

Up Next: Who knows!

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Play some kind of city/colony builder next

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Random observation: did the loot crate (mail delivery) craze quietly die out? Or was it never that popular, it just had a lot of ad bucks behind it? (Or is it actually still popular?)

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Rinkles posted:

Random observation: did the loot crate (mail delivery) craze quietly die out? Or was it never that popular, it just had a lot of ad bucks behind it? (Or is it actually still popular?)

Subscription boxes are definitely still a thing but I know that lootcrate in particular isn't a thing anymore and I imagine a lot of them kinda fell out of favor for being overly expensive for chintzy things. I know that the food ones seem to be going strong and there are still some various more-specialized ones that exist, like there's a local one for coffee named after cats and build-a-bear got their own thing going too.

Less of a blind bag thing I guess since you generally know what is gonna arrive in the ones I still see around.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I bought my wife one of those Introvert's Retreat cratejoy subscriptions that comes with scented candles and soap that looks like food and that kind of stuff she likes. That was kind of pricey though, you get what you pay for with these mystery boxes.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

you get what you pay for with these mystery boxes.

Or less.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Thinking about the time Ashens opened up one of those subscription boxes and one of the items was a fuckng inflatable loving crown. Then later iirc the same people sent him a special box that contained nothing but said crowns.

Also

Once I get a coffee grinder again maybe I'll subscribe, support local business and also I liked their coffee when I got to try it out some years ago

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Wasn't there some goon who sold mystery boxes full of cheap crap like 5 years before lootcrate caught on? Now there was a grifter ahead of his time.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Another pic from the coffee company's site

exquisite tea posted:

Wasn't there some goon who sold mystery boxes full of cheap crap like 5 years before lootcrate caught on? Now there was a grifter ahead of his time.

There was, yeah, I forget what kinds of items were supposedly even going to be included but there was definitely a blind box scam that ran through SA-Mart.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

it's legitimately clever to have establishing text (is that the term?) for cyberspace, grounding it as a place like any other.

(I wouldn't be watching Johnny Mnemonic right now if not for CP77)

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Lol I'm playing this dumb dungeon crawler game called Winged Sakura: Demon Civil War and the ending is just super dumb.

You fight the final boss, the person who recruited you to the rebels reveals that she's the daughter of the final boss and that the rebellion was because the final boss had gone mad with power after being possessed and needed to be stopped, and then everyone begs you to please stay with them and not leave now that your job is done. Then the rebellion leader tells you that by the way this is all just a video game and none of these people are real except for one other party member who was only there to keep an eye on you and that this is all some secret last starfighter bullshit where you're being tested by the programmers to become something greater, except the programmer are, to quote the game, "probably pissing their pants right now" because the npcs of the game don't want the player to go. So without any kind of foreshadowing whatsoever, the game included a twist of "IT'S ALL JUST A VIDEO GAME, YOU'VE BEEN PLAYING A GAME, THEY'RE NOT REAL, OR MAYBE THEY ARE???"

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Lol
Happy gaming fak

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Real hurthling! posted:

Lol
Happy gaming fak

It got even dumber.

Turns out it isn't ACTUALLY a video game soldier training program, it is ACTUALLY all just a dream, a group dream between some prisoners of war who were cursed to sleep and be stuck in an infinite dream where they would be part of what they thought was a virtual soldier training program, and then it ends with the protagonist being woken up by their allies and the text "TO BE CONTINUED"

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

wake the gently caress up Sakura, we got a city to burn

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

FirstAidKite posted:

It got even dumber.

Turns out it isn't ACTUALLY a video game soldier training program, it is ACTUALLY all just a dream, a group dream between some prisoners of war who were cursed to sleep and be stuck in an infinite dream where they would be part of what they thought was a virtual soldier training program, and then it ends with the protagonist being woken up by their allies and the text "TO BE CONTINUED"

What a rollercoaster

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I feel dumber just reading that spoiler

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I’ve been playing a lot of ps1 on my little emulator handheld and man it really sucks how many of these games had long voiced cutscenes with no subtitles. fear effect 2 is relatively unplayable today but i do appreciate how absolutely everything is fully subbed. compare to syphon filter where i have no idea what is going on other than some lego people are chasing a virus

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

FirstAidKite posted:

It got even dumber.

Is there a Winged Sakura 2?

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Rarity posted:

I feel dumber just reading

tagline of the entire internet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

tagline of the entire internet

And tangentially this forum!