Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Avian Pneumonia posted:

So to what extent do we believe that their review of Promising Young Woman was legitimate?

Did they believe what they were saying or did they see that one reviewer get absolutely roasted and cancelled for what wasn't even mild criticism and they adjusted accordingly?

The movie was unfathomably bad on almost every level and I was looking forward to an honest assessment from RLM but their channel is their careers and livelihoods now and I think they know what would have happened if they did not tow the line, here.

If they were worried, they could have ignored the movie, as they do with 99% of movies that aren't comic book based.

And the woke-scolds already consider RLM to be fascist vanguard, so they have nothing to lose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

It's a struggle for an elderly forum such as this one to understand that things from 30 years ago are old. But we continue to work towards understanding this phenomenon

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.

Stink Billyums posted:

the span of time between kurt cobain's death and now is about the same as the start of beatlemania and smells like teen spirit.

...gently caress.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I legit think they liked PYW especially because they didn’t spoil the ending despite having a spoiler warning. They respected the ending quite a bit, it seems.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
probably not going to watch the movie so i'm going to imagine it ends up being part of the cloverfield universe

Avian Pneumonia
May 24, 2006

ASK ME ABOUT MY OPINIONS ON CANCEL CULTURE

Quantum of Phallus posted:

lol if you think they care about any of that

Captain Marvel 2 is going to make Iron Man 3 look like Citizen Kane and they're going to politely say it was a solid B+ I enjoyed it please don't take away our big fat checks youtube.

I love these guys and I don't blame them, though! I'd be forced to do the same thing.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Yah I wasn’t planning on watching it either so I looked up the ending and yeah that was something!

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Avian Pneumonia posted:

So to what extent do we believe that their review of Promising Young Woman was legitimate?

Did they believe what they were saying or did they see that one reviewer get absolutely roasted and cancelled for what wasn't even mild criticism and they adjusted accordingly?

The movie was unfathomably bad on almost every level and I was looking forward to an honest assessment from RLM but their channel is their careers and livelihoods now and I think they know what would have happened if they did not tow the line, here.

if they were trying to cover their asses over giving the movie a bad review why would mike literally on camera mention this very point out loud about what he was thinking going into watching and reviewing the movie

or did you not watch the review and just show up in this thread you've never posted in before just to stir up poo poo

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Avian Pneumonia posted:

But the movie was good?

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Slotducks posted:

But the movie was good?

Yea seriously, it's a pretty good movie.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

And the woke-scolds already consider RLM to be fascist vanguard, so they have nothing to lose.

How is that? It's so weird to me.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Randarkman posted:

How is that? It's so weird to me.

they hated ghostbusters 2016 because they're sexist and they hated the last jedi because they're basement dwelling manchildren

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Rich evans in paricular is radicalizing the youths

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Quantum of Phallus posted:

lol if you think they care about any of that

theres a lot to lol about that take jesus

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

No Mods No Masters posted:

Rich evans in paricular is radicalizing the youths

adolf evans ensured that space cop will never play in china

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Avian Pneumonia posted:

What the gently caress?

"Critics only like this thing because they are afraid of the woke police" is like, vintage GamerGate bullshit.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
RLM doesn't care about getting roasted. They crap on movies that are way more likely to get them a firestorm of bullshit than some indie film without wide distribution.

Like that reviewer who you say got canceled has a publisher and bosses who can notice that they're getting dragged. You can't call RLM's manager over their bad opinions. All they have to do is no get kicked off youtube and not piss off their fanbase and they're making money for as long as Rich's looks hold up.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I'm far from the first person to observe that mid-monday posting tends to be some of the most wild, but you do have to note this is a textbook case

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

LanceHunter posted:

What the gently caress?

"Critics only like this thing because they are afraid of the woke police" is like, vintage GamerGate bullshit.

It's not quite the same thing but critical darlings like Crash exist, I assume because of the message and not the content. RLM doesn't give a poo poo though

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

I'm far from the first person to observe that mid-monday posting tends to be some of the most wild, but you do have to note this is a textbook case

Avian Pneumonia
May 24, 2006

ASK ME ABOUT MY OPINIONS ON CANCEL CULTURE
I had just expected better from RLM.

I was looking forward to literally anyone talking honestly about how abysmally bad the movie was and I was hoping it'd be them. But I guess not.

Whether or not they're protecting their livelihoods or they actually believe what they say. Either is a frustrating disappointment.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
mike's professional envy of Psycho Goreman is as valid as it is obvious

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

shut up.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Avian Pneumonia posted:

I was looking forward to literally anyone talking honestly about how abysmally bad the movie was and I was hoping it'd be them. But I guess not.

Whether or not they're protecting their livelihoods or they actually believe what they say. Either is a frustrating disappointment.

fly away troll

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Avian Pneumonia posted:

Can you articulate why you think the movie is abysmally bad? Or do you need critics to do your thinking for you?

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I predict a puppet master post incoming

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

How it is bad? Be the reviewer you want to see

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Avian Pneumonia posted:

I think you might just be in the minority on that one; I had some problems with the movie but I had a good time watching it overall.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Avian Pneumonia posted:

You seem like a real weirdo.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Is Rich Evans finally more successful than Jack now he's voiced a character in a movie?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i watched captain marvel a week ago, i thought it was fine. bree larson was fine with the exception of maybe a couple of over-quippy lines. the only scene i thought was really dumb was the fight in the spaceship when she gets her powers and they're hitting each other with pinball machines with that 'i'm just a girl' song. otherwise it was fine for what it was

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Bonaventure posted:

mike's professional envy of Psycho Goreman is as valid as it is obvious

The Psycho Goreman section is some of the most dense content on the half in the bag side in memory. Just a guy who directed space cop finding reasons to grumble about a movie that is basically space cop but unimaginably better for 30 minutes. Unparalleled mike psyche window

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

It's a struggle for an elderly forum such as this one to understand that things from 30 years ago are old. But we continue to work towards understanding this phenomenon

Even at 30 time is starting to slip me by.

I was going to say that I was one of the original cool kids who grew up on Reddit and was with it from the early days, but grew disillusioned with it in recent years because it’s all just echo chambers, karma whoring and corporate shills. So I came to this adorable relic from the early internet. But then I realized that Reddit started in 2005 and is only 6 years younger than SA.

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

Oh god, I'm 'sperging all
over this thread too!

Avian Pneumonia posted:

Shut up, sleeveless.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
"My para-social internet senpais didn't hate a movie as much as I did in fear of losing their YT money but I forgive them" is one hell of a way to see things.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Strabo4 posted:

Shut up, sleeveless.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Avian Pneumonia posted:

"Everyone secretly agrees with me but is compelled to silence by omnipresent social pressure from an incompetent and widely-despised shadowy cabal" is definitely the kind of thinking that good brains produce.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

oh. well i guess i can't totally rule out you replying to your own parachute though

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

...of SCIENCE! posted:

"Everyone secretly agrees with me but is compelled to silence by omnipresent social pressure from an incompetent and widely-despised shadowy cabal" is definitely the kind of thinking that good brains produce.

Sleeveless made a good post.

These are the end times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

weird to expect refined tastes from mike 'i loving love independence day resurgence' stoklasa and jay 'watch my top 10 sex pervert films and get put on an fbi watchlist' bauman