Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/domluszczyszyn/status/1358806120127676417

god I love Jake Voracek

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Canucks play the Leafs again today. One more blow out should spell the end of Benning's tenure, so if you ever wanted to go hog wild Toronto, tonight's the night.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

Canucks play the Leafs again today. One more blow out should spell the end of Benning's tenure, so if you ever wanted to go hog wild Toronto, tonight's the night.

I'm sorry but the Leafs exist only to extinguish hope, please enjoy the Canucks 4-0 win tonight

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

They'll rattle off three in a row and everyone will pretend it's fine that this team somehow came out of a rebuild as a capped out also ran.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Let the Leafs win tonight, but close so Benning keeps his job a bit, then the Canucks spank Calgary a bunch so that Eric Francis has to say its the end of the line for Brad Treiliving AND THEN the Canucks death spiral and Benning is fired.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Ginette Reno posted:

In 2000-01 he averaged 26:52 per game in ice time on the Panthers. Absolutely absurd beer league poo poo. That's one of my favorite Bure stats.

Crosby's highest average toi in his career was 21:57. Ovechkin's was 23:06. And that's young Crosby/Ovechkin.

Mitch Marner is currently the most played forward wat *nearly* 23 minutes a night. Conor McDavid and Mark Scheifele about :30 behind at 22:30.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Marner's ice time so far is funny because the Leafs cannot stop taking penalties and the Leafs didn't acquire any good PKers in the offseason so Keefe's throwing him out on 5 on 3s and poo poo

Also this quote is funny as hell

https://twitter.com/kristen_shilton/status/1358815596184535041?s=20

"I have to look closely at this guy because at first glance it appears that he sucks"

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Let the Leafs win tonight, but close so Benning keeps his job a bit, then the Canucks spank Calgary a bunch so that Eric Francis has to say its the end of the line for Brad Treiliving AND THEN the Canucks death spiral and Benning is fired.

Meh.... I'll allow it.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Koopa Kid posted:

Marner's ice time so far is funny because the Leafs cannot stop taking penalties and the Leafs didn't acquire any good PKers in the offseason so Keefe's throwing him out on 5 on 3s and poo poo

Also this quote is funny as hell

https://twitter.com/kristen_shilton/status/1358815596184535041?s=20

"I have to look closely at this guy because at first glance it appears that he sucks"

He's almost 28 years old hahaha

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Derpies posted:

So are Kuzy and Samsonov just never going to come off the COVID list?

Well, one of those players is coming off:
https://twitter.com/SamanthaJPell/status/1358816938915483650

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

N:

quote:

The league, it turns out, never actually upheld the “good goal” ruling. They were still in the process of reviewing the play when the wrong information was passed along to NHL referee Ghislain Hebert, who then announced that the goal would stand, according to executive vice president and director of hockey operations, Colin Campbell.

quote:

But under the NHL’s COVID protocols, the penalty-box official is charged with sterilizing the headsets before they can be worn by somebody else, and he began doing this immediately as the officials skated away to announce their ruling.

For a minute or more as he cleaned, Campbell said, the official was oblivious to NHL executives bellowing into the headset, nor did he notice the strobe light that had been turned on to get the attention of somebody at ice level.

https://theathletic.com/2374438/2021/02/08/miscommunication-explained-how-chaos-led-to-botched-call-against-blue-jackets/

V:
May I suggest this musical pairing with your reading of the article?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnHmskwqCCQ

:tif:

(If you like league schadenfreude, Colin Campbell was watching this game and poo poo his pants when he saw what was going on.)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You left out a pretty important and funny part.

quote:

How did the wrong information get passed along?

Nationwide Arena’s off-ice officials are in the process of training a video coordinator, a person charged with making sure NHL hockey-operations executives in Toronto can connect with NHL officials at ice level for just this kind of review, using both audio (headsets) and video (Apple iPads).

“The video technician is just supposed to coordinate this upstairs (at press level),” Campbell told The Athletic in a late-night interview. “They’re not supposed to get involved. They’re just supposed to set up things. We do the communicating with the (officials).

“We sent the first video (clip) for the linesmen to review — we’re looking at them, too, in Toronto — and we hear a voice on the line say, ‘He’s onside. That’s a good goal.’ He said it twice! The linesmen (Jonny Murray and Tyson Baker) heard that, took off the headsets and stepped away so they could make the call.”

Hebert made the announcement.

New guy forgot to mute his mic.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/charlieo_conn/status/1358826168926015489

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/GenePrincipe/status/1358824455619792897?s=20

I cannot wait for this game.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

McDavid and Drai combine for 17 points... Oilers eek out a close one.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

oh man this is gonna be appointment television

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Just LOL at anyone thinking Mike Smith can play worse than Koskinen has this year. Just lol!!!

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Just curious why Treiliving should go? He’s made good moves and beats the poo poo moves that a ton of other GM’s have made. He’s done some lovely deals too, (Neal was bad, the trade for Lucic I think was honestly fine, not a downgrade or upgrade) but overall generally has managed to keep the team pretty competitive. The real problem is the players not always seeming to want to play a full game of hockey, which there’s blame all around on that one.

At least he’s not signing poo poo goalies to big contracts, as I look at Edmonton paying Koskinen 4.5 million.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

Just LOL at anyone thinking Mike Smith can play worse than Koskinen has this year. Just lol!!!

I hope play-in Mike Smith proves you wrong.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Koskinen is bad in a boring way while Smith is bad in a hilarious way. There’s a huge difference.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The high scoring games this season have been pretty fun to watch so put a bad goalie in every net.

Well, the games for teams I don't give a gently caress about.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

This is a weird take given that over the past 2 seasons, Koskinen has put up better numbers than Mike Smith. Koskinen is bad when he's forced to play a bunch of games in a row (which is currently the case this season), whereas Mike Smith is just always bad.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Misanthrope posted:

I hope play-in Mike Smith proves you wrong.

Koskinen really really fuckin sucked in the play-in.

Kilza posted:

This is a weird take given that over the past 2 seasons, Koskinen has put up better numbers than Mike Smith. Koskinen is bad when he's forced to play a bunch of games in a row (which is currently the case this season), whereas Mike Smith is just always bad.

Its not a weird take, they both stink. Yes Mike Smith is worse, but its not like Koskinen is anything better than like 30th best goaler in the league provided he gets enough rest and the moon strikes right and he doesn't have to use his glove or cover posts.

The Black Stones posted:

Just curious why Treiliving should go? He’s made good moves and beats the poo poo moves that a ton of other GM’s have made. He’s done some lovely deals too, (Neal was bad, the trade for Lucic I think was honestly fine, not a downgrade or upgrade) but overall generally has managed to keep the team pretty competitive. The real problem is the players not always seeming to want to play a full game of hockey, which there’s blame all around on that one.

At least he’s not signing poo poo goalies to big contracts, as I look at Edmonton paying Koskinen 4.5 million.

He's been mediocre as a GM, and that roster doesn't really have room to grow unless all their prospects pan out. They have 15million to sign 10 players next year. That roster is a win now roster in terms of age and contract structure and well, that team isn't winning much.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Yes Koskinen is marginally better.

Yes Mike Smith is also funner to watch, cause if the Oilers are gonna be bad, gimme all the drat chaos instead of Koskinen getting beat clean again.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
Mike Smith is still in the league? How are these Canadien teams so desperate for goalies?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Ken Holland does not like to pay players to play the goaler position so the best he can do every year is Mike Smith.

(also chiarelli turbo hosed the roster and this coming offseason is the first time its free of a pile of poo poo garbage contracts)

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

Also most Canadian teams just aren't managed very well.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Misanthrope posted:

Also most Canadian teams just aren't managed very well.

:emptyquote:

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

CBJSprague24 posted:

N:

https://theathletic.com/2374438/2021/02/08/miscommunication-explained-how-chaos-led-to-botched-call-against-blue-jackets/

V:
May I suggest this musical pairing with your reading of the article?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnHmskwqCCQ

:tif:

(If you like league schadenfreude, Colin Campbell was watching this game and poo poo his pants when he saw what was going on.)

Do they still blow the goal horn if there's a missed goal on the ice? Why not just do that if you can't get them with a strobe light?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIČRE IN ME

Aphrodite posted:

You left out a pretty important and funny part.

New guy forgot to mute his mic.

Someone's getting fired

e: Koskinen is the goalie that SKA played over Shesterkin as their #1 in the playoffs and slightly more of the regular season starts. He was good in the KHL but he was also a vet and it feels like young guys with potential have a better time adapting coming over to the NHL than older guys

Levitate fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Feb 8, 2021

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Eric the Mauve posted:

Have AV teams always also had problems with always parking the Zamboni with a third period lead and being really bad at it and blowing a lot of third period leads? It's kind of been a Flyers thing since long before AV got there, but I also feel like I remember it being an issue with his previous teams too?

Or maybe it's not that they're trying to turtle on a lead, but more that by the third period the other team's figured their poo poo out, as Levitate explained above.

This was standard for the Canucks under AV with a lead in the 3rd. Zero effort to get into the offensive zone. Dump the puck and retreat.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

ImplicitAssembler posted:

This was standard for the Canucks under AV with a lead in the 3rd. Zero effort to get into the offensive zone. Dump the puck and retreat.

That worked for the Canucks largely because of the Sedins. They’d poach a few in the third to the chagrin of every one else in the Northwest division.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

ImplicitAssembler posted:

To be fair I think that strategy in general was a lot more popular ten years ago than it is now. Most coaches have wised up. At least in the regular season.

When the game is tied in the third period, however, is when we get treated to ultraconservative, ultraboring hockey. No one would ever take even the tiniest risk of losing that sweet, sweet loser point.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The Flyers are still VERY dump-in heavy as entries go, but they've combined that with quick rushes in alongside it. It's worked very well when they lean on it, especially against a team like the Islanders that do everything they can to jam up the neutral zone and cause turnovers.

Unrelated, this is very cool:

https://twitter.com/domluszczyszyn/status/1358863497132711940

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
It seems like no matter what two-axis chart you dream up, the Penguins will always be way out in a corner of it by themselves.

e: I wonder if you studied it if you'd find that teams coached by old guys are likelier to play dump 'n chase than teams with younger coaches.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

the blues: heh, we had four players test positive. beat that!!!

the wild:
https://twitter.com/RussoHockey/status/1358826214945771522

nine?!??!

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
^ Fuuu... I knew 9 were on the list, I didn't know it was all positive test results.

Eric the Mauve posted:

It seems like no matter what two-axis chart you dream up, the Penguins will always be way out in a corner of it by themselves.

e: I wonder if you studied it if you'd find that teams coached by old guys are likelier to play dump 'n chase than teams with younger coaches.

It's fascinating seeing MN so far out in a corner too. High possession is good, and they get the puck up the ice fast these days too. It's rare that I watch a game and see them getting stuck in the D zone, so that's going the right direction. They still do better in 1 goal games and really aren't looking like they're just going to out score opponents for a while if ever.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Aye Doc posted:

the wild:

nine?!??!

Still better than the Devils 17 or however many are actually testing positive.

e: https://twitter.com/PierreVLeBrun/status/1358876243345764362

Kilza fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Feb 8, 2021

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

the devils' number is just people on The Roni List, not necessarily positive tests. until we get the official word, the minnesota wild shall be the undisputed plague champions of 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

Aye Doc posted:

the wild:

nine?!??!

Looks like we're getting 6 in a row between the Coyotes and Blues, a series in which the Blues have shown little inclination to play well!