Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

ahem i'm surprised this hasn't been linked yet https://www.nohello.com/

e: what an amazing snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
It's just that chat isn't a verbal conversation, an immediate response is not guaranteed, and it's not fair to act as if one is expected, at least not until the conversation is going.

By not including the context needed to answer the question at a later time, it implies a demand for an immediate response, and that's rude.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
There are a couple of people who have unanswered messages on my MSc course from last year thanks to that.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

It's just that chat isn't a verbal conversation, an immediate response is not guaranteed, and it's not fair to act as if one is expected, at least not until the conversation is going.

By not including the context needed to answer the question at a later time, it implies a demand for an immediate response, and that's rude.

I operate under:

Chat = immediate-ish
Email = reply back in the next couple hours

If you’re not going to respond to “hey mike”, sign out of chat

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Exactly. A basic-rear end question that's in the internal documentation that the questioner should know or be able to find has a way different sense of urgency than "hey I have a customer screaming bloody murder on the phone and this is your area of expertise, can you tag in?".

"hello kyrosiris" with no follow-up doesn't differentiate between these two and that sucks for my focus.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Inspector_666 posted:

I'm always willing to throw a "Hey, what's up?" back at them but it's on them after that.

What if they respond with an outlook meeting request for a question that's already answered in your documentation in bold and underline but don't mention this anywhere other than an empty meeting request

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I decline meeting invites that don't have an agenda. You ask me something on the meeting that I need to open a ticket with a vendor about, who does that help? Send the agenda and I can have your answers prepared in advance.

Maybe preparing for meetings is old fashioned now and middle managers just use them to run the clock down on each day.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I guess I'm just getting older and crankier.

I respond to requests for a WebEx with a request for a brief agenda. I don't need anything detailed, but at least let me know what the basic purpose of the meeting is and what you want to have done by the end of it.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Biowarfare posted:

What if they respond with an outlook meeting request for a question that's already answered in your documentation in bold and underline but don't mention this anywhere other than an empty meeting request

Ah, I see you also deal with my customers.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I guess I'm just getting older and crankier.

I respond to requests for a WebEx with a request for a brief agenda. I don't need anything detailed, but at least let me know what the basic purpose of the meeting is and what you want to have done by the end of it.

Meeting Agenda
-----
Ability to open browser to documentation site

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Thanks Ants posted:

I decline meeting invites that don't have an agenda. You ask me something on the meeting that I need to open a ticket with a vendor about, who does that help? Send the agenda and I can have your answers prepared in advance.

Maybe preparing for meetings is old fashioned now and middle managers just use them to run the clock down on each day.
What, you don't like having meetings to hash out the agenda for the meeting the following week?

Super Nintendo 64
Feb 18, 2012

Slack divas. Reply or gtfo

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

ConfusedUs posted:

Every time this comes up, I just sort of roll my eyes. It's not hard to imagine the following as a verbal conversation.

"Hey, Bob!"
"Hey Fred, what's up?"
"Got a minute to look into something for me?"
"Sure!"

But god forbid someone does this in a chat. I get there's an argument to be made for INCLUDE EVERYTHING YOU NEED IN THE FIRST MESSAGE, if only for the sake of efficiency, but for gently caress's sake guys. You'd think saying "Hey Fred, what's up?" was a Herculean effort.

Yes, but also: gently caress that.

If we have a previously cordial relationship where we've chatted about things not work related, then you can probably get away with "Hi <first name>" or "Yo" or poo poo like that.

If we have zero or a business only relationship, tell me what you need up front in the first message, or at least in a message immediately after the greeting. Greeting and then waiting for a response with zero context is a big gently caress-off nope.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I'm not going to rage-out if someone sends me "hey Internet Explorer," but at the same time, it is basic digital etiquette to include some basic info. It shows a respect for people's time and allows them to prioritize. If you don't include some detail, I am going to assume it is not that important to you and I am not going to interrupt myself from what I am doing.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
I have an extreme hatred of small talk and if you're going to bother me and send push notifications to all of my devices and make a boop noise and interrupt my work with a DM at the very least make it not be "hi"

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

just lol if you have any notifications turned on. if it's important, it'll come through pagerduty, anything else can wait until i'm in the mood to read it.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

When people do that to me, I do it back at them and drop nohello + a brief explanation of why they're bad at teams/chat when they respond. Not everyone likes it, but they do get the point :v:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Nohello is like peak passive aggressive nerd

That being said, if someone does it to me i will force them in to awkward small talk before answering any questions

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

The Fool posted:

Nohello is like peak passive aggressive nerd

That being said, if someone does it to me i will force them in to awkward small talk before answering any questions

I've definitely done that.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I just make them wait 10 minutes before responding :shrug:

I'm a busy person. There's lots of YouTube to watch and poo poo posts to disease this forum with.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Renegret posted:

I just make them wait 10 minutes before responding :shrug:

I'm a busy person. There's lots of YouTube to watch and poo poo posts to disease this forum with.

Not an empty quote.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I respond to messages that are just "hello" with as much small talk as I think I can speed type before they finish writing their actual message.

On the other hand, I do not respond at all to messages that are "are you in the office today?" because it means they want me to leave my desk to look at an application I don't manage.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Jeoh posted:

just lol if you have any notifications turned on. if it's important, it'll come through pagerduty, anything else can wait until i'm in the mood to read it.

Yeah, but gently caress PagerDuty. What a poo poo loving product.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Hello kensei, greetings of the day!

This doesn't even bug me any more because these guys/gals are busting their asses in the middle of the night to do the poo poo I don't want to. I cut them slack but I do get irritated when I get asked for approval and I have already approved the request because Service Now made me do it when the ticket was entered (and it is noted as such that I did approve it already). :(

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

I don't mind someone just IMing hi, I mind them IMing just `ping` like I'm just some program.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

duz posted:

I don't mind someone just IMing hi, I mind them IMing just `ping` like I'm just some program.
I'm sure I've mentioned the friend of a friend who answers the phone with "SYN ACK" and responds to everything with "SYN ACK" until he hears you say "ACK".

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!
HR just rolled out a program to invite people to Team channels according to their non-work interests across all the depts in the organization. This will go well, since we're a public entity and our messages are subject to records requests.

e: The "General Entertainment" channel with several hundred people just disappeared after we started talking about what shows we like to watch.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Arquinsiel posted:

I'm sure I've mentioned the friend of a friend who answers the phone with "SYN ACK" and responds to everything with "SYN ACK" until he hears you say "ACK".

Is his first response after "ACK ACK"?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Arquinsiel posted:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I would do poorly in that conversation

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
i just talk to people like a normal human being because usually if people are talking to me it's because they need something to happen, and i like making things happen.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

I type 130+ words per minute and read pretty fast too. I don't give a gently caress how much info people include in the first message, and chat is chat, it's completely informal as far as I'm concerned.

I may say "hey, busy with an outage" or something like that so as long as people don't get pissy if I tell them they're busy, I don't particularly care if they start with "hi" and nothing else, I can say hi back and the conversation will continue. If I'm looking at all, I'm already task switching from what I was doing, or I wasn't doing anything that I was concentrating in the first place. I can go on DND mode if I don't want to get interrupted and set a canned response of telling people to send a ticket in.

I have pretty good relations with colleagues as a result of this, I think, compared to certain people who are super particular about any contact they get and that it must contain exactly the info needed, all of the info needed, and nothing beyond that. One person would get mad if the email/chat started out with "Hi ____," rather than "I need XXX and YYY by ZZZ date" or whatever. I get there's a middle ground but it seems more trouble than it's worth to care at all.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

The Iron Rose posted:

i just talk to people like a normal human being because usually if people are talking to me it's because they need something to happen, and i like making things happen.

I get that, and I'm trying not to overstate my aversion to "hi" messages.
I don't check on my messages constantly, I try to peek at slack only periodically for a certain amount of time to keep from spending all day on chat.

So I see a "Hi" message from 10 minutes ago, I respond "Hi, how can I help you" but they're not at their desk now, so I sit there for a minute, and then try to get back to work. 5 minutes later, they come back with "Hi! qq real quick."
and usually I get back to them right away with "Hi, what's your question? How can I help?"
And then they pull a "Can we do a quick webex?" but I've got a meeting coming up soon so I don't want to get stuck on a call, and I have no idea how long it's going to take or what's even going on.

It would be easy if I didn't actually give a poo poo, because then I'd never respond, but I actually do want to help people so I worry, and this kind of stuff is the workplace equivalent of "we need to talk" from a family member. I don't know if somethings seriously broken or if you just wanted to have me vote for your video showing off your team's accomplishments.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

sometimes people message me and my anxiety shoots through the roof and i decide it's easier to pretend i missed the message than try to force myself to engage in small talk that's going to inevitably end in the phrase "please submit a ticket"

my job involves far too many need, need, need, now, now, now interactions, and sometimes my broken brain just overloads and retreats

fortunately there are enough pleasant interactions throughout the day that these moments quickly lose their potency but goddamn please treat me like a human being and not an AI chat bot that can drop everything to immediately fix your particular problem

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
This is why whenever I message internal IT it's a full sentence and usually the equivalent of a shitpost and/or joke about something at work that just happened. I don't expect a response, but I hope he has a good laugh about it.

Sadly they've set their teams' pop-up message to the equivalent of "i won't always see IMs if you need poo poo done put in a loving ticket" which tells you what kind of users we have. :(

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

dragonshardz posted:

Is his first response after "ACK ACK"?
He sticks to the three part handshake and after he gets his "ACK" he just lets the data flow. Apparently it's a really good way to make sure he doesn't get cold calls :shrug:

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Biowarfare posted:

We have a sales rep that ends each email by posing a question and bolding and underlining it. He probably picked it up from a stupid sales course saying this is how you call people to action but it only pisses me off. He does if for the most trivial stuff, too. In peak passive-aggressiveness, I started doing the same back at him, only for completely trivial stuff.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
Most of my chat histories look like this "you there? yes" - mostly, I chat to people I work closely with and we just call each other once we know we are there.

Occasionally some people get ignored, for example we have some software that needed that Harman browser, so we deployed it to the relevant people a couple of weeks before Christmas. Their boss then emails all the IT team during Xmas holidays saying we need to deploy Harman asap, but we had already done it. No one replied so he started messaging people on Teams and people continued to ignore him... This guy did not think to speak to his actual team and ask had the work been done, so I think everyone just got a bit upset and ignored him.

It's now February and I assume he has spoken to his team, or just become pleasantly surprised that they are still doing work... not really sure.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I would personally prefer that I get a brief "hi" or similar greeting and also some idea of what is going on in the first message -- when people just launch directly into "I need xyz" it strikes me as rude. But a lot of this unpleasantry can be avoided if you just... talk to people like a normal person. If people are forever leaving you "Hi" with no content, just tell them "Hey can you tell me what's going on when you message? I might not see it for a bit and if it just says 'hi' it's going to be a longer wait til I get back to the message again and see what you need" or something similar and voila, expectations are set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

sixth and maimed posted:

We have a sales rep that ends each email by posing a question and bolding and underlining it. He probably picked it up from a stupid sales course saying this is how you call people to action but it only pisses me off.

A strong close to your sales email gives recipients a clear path to action. Try ending with one of the following questions to prompt a definitive response: