Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Lt. Danger posted:

Old World Blues - Christine and the talking stealth suit were voiced by some gaming journalist lady

Wasn't Christine voiced by Laura Bailey? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
She has two voices.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

DoubleNegative posted:

Wasn't Christine voiced by Laura Bailey? :psyduck:

Christine in Dead Money is Laura Bailey after having a new voice box installed.

Christine in Old World Blues audiologs is Veronica Belmont.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
What does it even mean when they turn every Geth into an individual? Like, are there suddenly thousands of Geth granted individual sentience in each server? Are the processes forcibly amalgamated into groups of however many you need to make something like Legion? Is each Geth platform turned into an individual? It strikes me as a pretty horrible thing to do to the Geth. Like if someone turned all of your brain cells into a separate, sentient organism.

Have to say, time has made me kinder to the Mass Effect 3 ending. The Extended Cut still sucks, but I think the idea they were getting at - that synthetic life will inevitably outcompete organic life and render it extinct - is interesting. The problem is, people seemed to think that Shepard making the Geth and Quarians play nice is something that will inevitably hold for all time. And that, in say a year or ten years or a hundred, that some idiot Quarian won't try to wipe the Geth out again. And I think Legion even says that every single time the Quarians have felt they had the high ground, they've attacked the Geth. Which, as we see in ME3, just about ends with the extinction of their species.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

What does it even mean when they turn every Geth into an individual? Like, are there suddenly thousands of Geth granted individual sentience in each server? Are the processes forcibly amalgamated into groups of however many you need to make something like Legion? Is each Geth platform turned into an individual? It strikes me as a pretty horrible thing to do to the Geth. Like if someone turned all of your brain cells into a separate, sentient organism.

Have to say, time has made me kinder to the Mass Effect 3 ending. The Extended Cut still sucks, but I think the idea they were getting at - that synthetic life will inevitably outcompete organic life and render it extinct - is interesting. The problem is, people seemed to think that Shepard making the Geth and Quarians play nice is something that will inevitably hold for all time. And that, in say a year or ten years or a hundred, that some idiot Quarian won't try to wipe the Geth out again. And I think Legion even says that every single time the Quarians have felt they had the high ground, they've attacked the Geth. Which, as we see in ME3, just about ends with the extinction of their species.

Geth aren't necessarily conscious or self-aware. They're computer programmes that do different things but can work together to become more complex programmes. The better analogy is if all your braincells went from being separate unconscious parts to working together to create the you that you perceive as a single conscious being.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

You're forgetting the part where the Geth 'brain' got blown to pieces by the Quarians. It's the entire reason why they turned to the Reapers and why the code from Legion was needed for their continued survival, the Consensus was shattered

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Two Mass Effect threads? This is getting out hand.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
That's not really relevant? The Geth megastructure was basically a massive server farm which the Geth hoped to load every single program onto in order to create the smartest/best/most optimal consensus possible. The fact that it got blown up and a bunch of Geth programs were irrevocably lost doesn't change what the Geth are.

The Geth are said to be a bunch of individual programs or processes that, when combined or networked together, become more intelligent. An individual Geth program isn't very smart at all, but Legion - who, I think, holds twelve times more Geth programs than the usual humanoid platform - is pretty much an individual. On Rannoch, they were just VIs until they hit some critical mass enough to start asking impertinent questions. So, when Mass Effect 3 says that the Geth can gain true intelligent sentience or whatever, what does that mean? Are you uplifting every single Geth program into an individual intelligent being? Are you bootstrapping Geth together to hit the quota for sentience? Is it turning each platform into one Geth?

By the sounds of it, the upgrade makes every individual Geth program into a sentient being. So, if Legion hadn't died, would there suddenly be a thousand sentient individuals in that one platform? What does this mean for the Geth way of life and wider society?

The answer is, of course, that they're real people now, everyone's happy, don't think about it!

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Feb 9, 2021

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

OhFunny posted:

One is the paragon thread. The other is the renegade thread

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

One is the paragon thread. The other is the renegade thread

Shepard: I've had enough of your bad posts. *spends ten minutes writing a sick burn*

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Funky Valentine posted:

Shepard: I've had enough of your bad posts. *spends ten minutes writing a sick burn*

I’ve had enough of your disingenuous shitposting.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Shepard, your choices matter*

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

nine-gear crow posted:

I’ve had enough of your disingenuous shitposting

Ahh yes, "Shitposting", we've dismissed those claims.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The ending gets most of the attention of Mass Effect 3, but there was a real sense of the whole setting getting run into the ground for the sake of spectacle. There's little bits of good writing, but a lot of the biggest moments feel like they're not as explored as they could be. You get to go to the Turian and Asari homeworlds, and it doesn't really teach you that much more about either of the races. Reapers apparently don't all hit as hard as Sovereign so you can have a sprinkling of Reaper fights throughout the game in a way that really reduces their dramatic impact. Anderson is somehow fighting a groundwar resistance against them, and more than ever, it highlights how weird it is that Bioware chose a race of sentient spaceships to be the antagonists in their most action based game.

Like it made sense at the time that if the series was ending, you gotta bring a conclusion to every big issue and close every plot thread, but the writing wasn't really there and it feels contrived a lot of the time. And there's so much time spent revisiting known things that there's not a whole lot new about the world in the game [that hasn't been cut out to sell as DLC].

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

We don't even go to Palaven, we just see it burn from the moon.

Garrus helpfully points out where his house is, however.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

OhFunny posted:

One
Two
Three

Three Mass Effect threads! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Gato posted:

To add to this, the nature of the Geth themselves changes, which is the part I find most disappointing. In ME1, they're self-aware robots who hate organics because said organics tried to wipe them out when they started asking how to become real boys if they had souls. I think they're referred to as having a hive mind but it isn't really explored. They worship the Reapers because the Reapers are bigger, badder robots who also hate organics.

In ME2, the Geth are sentient computer programs, some of which live in the flashlight-headed robot platforms we know and love, but most of which live in giant servers. They acquire unique experiences and perspectives while running around in robot bodies which get shared with everyone else when they go back to the collective. As a result, they don't really have a concept of individuality and iirc Legion says that the "does this unit have a soul" stuff was essentially the teething troubles of a newborn race, and they're pretty cool with what they are now. Most of the Geth want to chill out and build a Dyson sphere around Rannoch, but a minority worship the Reapers because of a difference in their source code.

In ME3 the Geth are sentient robots who want to be real boys want to be like organics, and ally with the Reapers (regardless of what you do in ME2) because the Reapers will make them into "true AI" or something, and so that we have a plot device (REAPER UPGRADES) that lets you turn the tide of battle at the push of a button. What do the Reapers get out of this? :bioware:

e;f,b, Oxxidation said it better, also didn't there used to be a "lots of speculation" smiley

I guess I had some very rose-tinted goggles with regard to ME3, because looking back, holy poo poo, that story was bad. ME2 best mass effect...

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SlothfulCobra posted:

One
Two
Three

Three Mass Effect threads! Ah! Ah! Ah!

I'm gonna post in all of em

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

SlothfulCobra posted:

You get to go to the Turian and Asari homeworlds, and it doesn't really teach you that much more about either of the races. Reapers apparently don't all hit as hard as Sovereign so you can have a sprinkling of Reaper fights throughout the game in a way that really reduces their dramatic impact. Anderson is somehow fighting a groundwar resistance against them, and more than ever, it highlights how weird it is that Bioware chose a race of sentient spaceships to be the antagonists in their most action based game.

Thessia reveals that the asari have been hiding prothean technology from everyone else, despite their own laws against this. the Reapers you fight (in exceptional circumstances) are subservient destroyer-scale mini-Reapers, not full-blown Sovereign-class. Reapers harvest populations which requires working on a humanoid scale

I'm not sure how much we can fault Bioware for tying up loose ends and revisiting core characters/places - one of the major fan complaints about ME2 was how it didn't do enough with ME1 import choices: emails, fleeting encounters, teasers for the next game. if nothing else Bioware has always been very sensitive to audience feedback, with a tendency to overcorrect

e: to be clear I'm not disagreeing as such but these seem like odd examples when you have all the forced appearances from the ME2 crew - Jacob and his good Cerberus scientists that nobody asked about; Kasumi's sidequest, which tries to tie up Kasumi, her greybox, the Spectres, the hanar and the Leviathan of Dis in the space of a 15-minute sidequest; Zaeed's sidequest, which is just confusing but in a really boring way

Lt. Danger fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Feb 9, 2021

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Lt. Danger posted:

Thessia reveals that the asari have been hiding prothean technology from everyone else, despite their own laws against this. the Reapers you fight (in exceptional circumstances) are subservient destroyer-scale mini-Reapers, not full-blown Sovereign-class. Reapers harvest populations which requires working on a humanoid scale

I'm not sure how much we can fault Bioware for tying up loose ends and revisiting core characters/places - one of the major fan complaints about ME2 was how it didn't do enough with ME1 import choices: emails, fleeting encounters, teasers for the next game. if nothing else Bioware has always been very sensitive to audience feedback, with a tendency to overcorrect

Yeah, part of the point of Thessia is reiterating the point that Liara's dad makes in ME2 and ME3. The asari are too comfortable to think about what could happen if they were wrong. Because they've been the queen bitches of galactic society for as long as there's been a galactic society (this cycle). If someone had discretely given Liara access to the temple after ME1 things would have gone down much differently.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Lt. Danger posted:

Thessia reveals that the asari have been hiding prothean technology from everyone else, despite their own laws against this.
And if you bring Javik it turns out that that protheans were giving the asari every possible advantage to get ahead of the Reapers and they hosed it up.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Lt. Danger posted:

Chris L'Etoile - Patrick Weekes wrote Mordin in both games

Thank you for the correction, I legit thought Weekes wrote that stuff.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Jacob's cool. They should make more games with him in them.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Saw that Mass Effect Andromeda was on Game Pass. Downloaded it for Xbox One. The shooting controls can't really be this poo poo, can they?

Aiming is a god drat nightmare. Getting into cover and trying to shoot out, the cover itself blocks my own shots half the time, and the feedback so you know what's going on around you is terrible. Even with aim assist turned on, it's infuriating actually trying to hit anything with the starter guns.

I remember I tried it on the PC during their demo period before it launched and I was underwhelmed, but this is my first time trying it on console and it's absolutely dreadful.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Feb 9, 2021

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Shirkelton posted:

Javik's cool. They should make more games with him in them.

yes

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Lt. Danger posted:

e: to be clear I'm not disagreeing as such but these seem like odd examples when you have all the forced appearances from the ME2 crew - Jacob and his good Cerberus scientists that nobody asked about; Kasumi's sidequest, which tries to tie up Kasumi, her greybox, the Spectres, the hanar and the Leviathan of Dis in the space of a 15-minute sidequest; Zaeed's sidequest, which is just confusing but in a really boring way

I more meant that those are examples that should've been deep dives into what makes this alien culture unique that ended up shallow, leaving the universe seeming smaller. It's no surprise that meeting up Jacob didn't show new depths because he's obviously a known quantity, you know who he is, while with the Asari and Turians, it feels like you only skim the surface and see what they're like in cosmopolitan mixed company, but you don't know what they're like on their own.

It should've felt more like Tuchanka in ME2 when you see these Krogan on their home planet with their old customs and they can't just stick to the meathead bruiser jobs because there's just krogan around, so you get krogan doctors, krogan engineers, krogan old wisemen, krogan dealing with the food supply. And the whole environment reflects krogan culture. There's a lot of neat stuff written in the codex about the Asari and Turians, but it only barely got shown.

And then, yeah, they spend enough time on things like Thane and Jack and Miranda's dad that they can't explore things that we've never seen before. Like I was disappointed that some areas fell flat, but there's so much that they were too busy to ever get to.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

marshmallow creep posted:

Saw that Mass Effect Andromeda was on Game Pass. Downloaded it for Xbox One. The shooting controls can't really be this poo poo, can they?

Aiming is a god drat nightmare. Getting into cover and trying to shoot out, the cover itself blocks my own shots half the time, and the feedback so you know what's going on around you is terrible. Even with aim assist turned on, it's infuriating actually trying to hit anything with the starter guns.

I remember I tried it on the PC during their demo period before it launched and I was underwhelmed, but this is my first time trying it on console and it's absolutely dreadful.

It felt great on PC with the movement mods installed. i couldn't imagine doing it on console without mods at this point...

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

nine-gear crow posted:

I’ve had enough of your disingenuous shitposting.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Why did this good post earn a probation lol?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Moola posted:

Why did this good post earn a probation lol?

Spending a year “on probation” is a popular tax dodge.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

That and nothing seemed to land story-wise in the beginning at all, to the point it almost feels like it's not happening.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Weird, I played it last year on PC with a controller and of all the complaints I’d give the game, controls/combat wasn’t one of them. It’s a bit “looser” in that you don’t glue yourself to cover like the other games. But if you’re behind cover and aim down sights, you’ll peek right out of cover. You can hit the stick (left, I think) to switch which “side” Ryder shoots out of, and with the jet pack you have a lot of mobility that wasn’t there before. It doesn’t feel quite like the other games, but I think it feels good once you get used to it. It’s a much more mobile version of Mass Effect combat.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I heard butts got cut?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Still the best combat of all the ME games. The game series had a hard slide from cover shooter to action shooter where you explode screens.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
kinda crazy that even ME3 didn't have PC controller support, when you think about it. that was the tail end of the 360 era.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Rinkles posted:

kinda crazy that even ME3 didn't have PC controller support, when you think about it. that was the tail end of the 360 era.

If I remember correctly, it also doesn't have voice chat.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

There was voice chat in ME3 MP but nobody used it (good).

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

No text chat, sorry.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

There was some relatively easy way to hack text chat into the game, which made me think they got 90% of the way toward implementing it and then just.. didn't for whatever reason. Not like you really needed that for ME3.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I was thinking of doing a replay (cause I don't intend to buy the remaster at full price), but I've had enough issues with the controller mod in the past (completely hosed up my ME2 installation) that I'm not going to bother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
You know, I've played through the series multiple times, on multiple platforms, and I've never done a renegade playthrough.

I tried one, once. I got as far as lying to some Krogan tourists about fish on the Citadel, felt like a monster, and went right back to being Commander Shepard, Intergalactic Hall Monitor.