Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Electric Phantasm posted:

Pokemon: Cyber Slueth

Detective Pikachu was on the case

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Legitimately dystopian poo poo

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Arrested for Team Rocket larping

That news video is pretty surreal, lol at how the police laid out all the Pokemon crime tools like a drug bust loot haul

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RADo5TBN70

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The hacked Pokemon trade is well-known as being the prime money-maker for the yakuza so the dude is lucky that a crazy one-eyed guy with a tanto didn't show up at his house to kick his rear end.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
how is there even a market for illegal pokémon

Aren't there like three different websites where you can just plug in what you want and they'll hack you one up within 15 minutes?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Funky Valentine posted:

The hacked Pokemon trade is well-known as being the prime money-maker for the yakuza so the dude is lucky that a crazy one-eyed guy with a tanto didn't show up at his house to kick his rear end.

Wait, seriously?

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Aren't there like three different websites where you can just plug in what you want and they'll hack you one up within 15 minutes?

buddy you literally just described a market for illegal pokemon

Larryb posted:

Wait, seriously?

no.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Marx Headroom posted:

Arrested for Team Rocket larping

That news video is pretty surreal, lol at how the police laid out all the Pokemon crime tools like a drug bust loot haul

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RADo5TBN70

I'm the censored ID No.

also holy poo poo over a million yen in profit

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

My understanding is that over here you can get away with website ad revenue, twitch donations, etc to make a bit of a buck with that and the word of mouth from doing a few hundred a day. In Japan it's Actually illegal to mess with save data, and thus far more frowned upon as a culture, so you're not getting money in those ways, and people seeing this as a much more shady and dangerous thing would then be willing to pay for their hacked mons.

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Feb 5, 2021

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
I hear the counterfeit Watchog market is worth 50 million a year

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Hammerite posted:

I hear the counterfeit Watchog market is worth 50 million a year

You been lookin at my books :toughguy:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

MorningMoon posted:

I'm the censored ID No.

also holy poo poo over a million yen in profit

My understanding is that over here you can get away with website ad revenue, twitch donations, etc to make a bit of a buck with that and the word of mouth from doing a few hundred a day. In Japan it's Actually illegal to mess with save data, and thus far more frowned upon as a culture, so you're not getting money in those ways, and people seeing this as a much more shady and dangerous thing would then be willing to pay for their hacked mons.

Hmm I wonder what company headquartered there would possibly lobby for that

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Strikes me as weird because I got gobs of hacked shinies just by wonder trading for free. Granted most had stupid nicknames which relegated them to being pokedex fodder on GTS but I digress.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Ignite Memories posted:

buddy you literally just described a market for illegal pokemon

Er, and also the websites are free to use being the sticking point I forgot to mention.

MorningMoon posted:

Yeah ok that addresses my question.

Except the shady e-criminals could still visit foreign websites and get their e-crime goods, couldn't they?

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Okay speaking of I get constant obviously hacked Pokemon from Surprise Trade but today I got one I'm not sure about?

It's a shiny Thundurus but it has two hyper trained IVs. It's from Unova and has Hidden Power. It's in a Pokeball though.

Plasbad
Oct 2, 2013

Shneak posted:

Okay speaking of I get constant obviously hacked Pokemon from Surprise Trade but today I got one I'm not sure about?

It's a shiny Thundurus but it has two hyper trained IVs. It's from Unova and has Hidden Power. It's in a Pokeball though.

It could be legit, I would imagine it's been duplicated in an older game perhaps. Also there are probably lots of people who just wonder trade out perfectly good pokemon just for fun, maybe on a stream or something. Possibly some sort of challenge run too.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Always be suspicious of shiny Legendaries, particularly roamers, but hyper trained IVs and nothing else actually sounds legit.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

I went on an adventure week thing in secondary school and managed to run out of spending money on the third day, so I manufactured a bunch of Mews with legit distribution OT names and numbers with this bad boy, and made a small fortune* selling them to kids from other schools. Come and get me, pigs.

* Something like £8

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Oaks lab has started sometimes marking perfect IVs as hyper trained instead so it's not a surefire indicator of legitimacy

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
You can also get breedjects. People dump a lot of breedjects en-masse. My Golisopod on my Ultra Moon team came as a level 1 wimpod with aqua jet and 5 perfect IV's. I not a breeder but even I've dumped a dozen hatchlings with nifty egg moves or HA's after I picked the one that had what I wanted.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Nth Doctor posted:

Happy Birthday Mewtwo!

Feb 2, 2005
Is there anything worthwhile for completing the DLC pokedexes? I just finished the Dynamax adventures, collected all the digletts, and am looking for something else to do.

Also-- how quickly from the beginning of the game can I access the Crown Tundra? I'll need to do it again for Glastrier and Regieleki.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Quote posted:

Is there anything worthwhile for completing the DLC pokedexes? I just finished the Dynamax adventures, collected all the digletts, and am looking for something else to do.

Also-- how quickly from the beginning of the game can I access the Crown Tundra? I'll need to do it again for Glastrier and Regieleki.

I believe both DLC areas can be accessed the moment you reach the first Wild Area (though I’m not sure if Crown Tundra scales to your current level the way the Isle of Armor does).

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Larryb posted:

I believe both DLC areas can be accessed the moment you reach the first Wild Area (though I’m not sure if Crown Tundra scales to your current level the way the Isle of Armor does).

Yeah but you can't catch Calyrex until you're champion.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Larryb posted:

From what I've heard, Crown Tundra's Pokemon aren't scaled and they're all at 60 and above. Peony challenges you and his team is also similarly strong. Luckly you don't need to win to progress and you can access the Max Lair as soon as possible after battling him.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Playing Crown Tundra finally and goddamn I forgot how much I hate that repels basically don't do anything now. No (lower level than your lead pokemon) encounters should mean no encounters, not 'oops you ran into the pokemon before it could get out of your way so gently caress you, you have to deal with it anyway.' It was managable through most of the game because of how the routes are constructed, but the Tundra makes trying to avoid Pokemon incredibly aggrevating because of the twisty layouts & how hard it is to avoid the areas Pokemon pop up in. The Sharpedos in Isle of Armor were annoying too, but at least those were restricted to the water.

I don't give a flying gently caress if Pokemon show up on the overworld or not, but I hope that the next gen makes repels useful again. I spent gens 1-7 having them on basically 24/7 after the first badge & I doubt I'd have enjoyed any of them as much if I had to gently caress around with wild enounters all the time. Busywork random encounters are why I could never get into most JRPGs.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
You can go to the Crown Tundra as soon as trains open up, but everything is level 60+ regardless of game progress. You can, however, lose the first Peony battle and carry on, and the Max Lair lets you catch level 65-70 pokémon using rentals.

Yes, you can catch Kyogre or whatever before challenging the first gym.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

It’s been said before but thanks to the Raid Battles (and even more so now with the Max Raids), SwSh is probably the easiest Pokémon game to break over your knee since the original Game Boy games (and from pretty early on too).

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

I assume that the main campaign is very easy this time because they wanted players to get fully ready for the pvp section. Also since you've paid an additional $30 for the DLC, they probably wanted to make it worth your while, hence the ability to create Gigantamax Pokemon yourself, the ability to find and craft Battle Tower items like Bottle Caps and Mints, and all the Legendary Pokemon in the Crown Tundra.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

https://www.twitter.com/SerebiiNet/status/1358295215929516032

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Haifisch posted:

Playing Crown Tundra finally and goddamn I forgot how much I hate that repels basically don't do anything now.

It occurs to me I have never used a repel this generation, not once.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Diet Poison posted:

It occurs to me I have never used a repel this generation, not once.

I started Crown Tundra yesterday and same.

At least I was able to beeline my giant noggin'd deer friend.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Wide guard is pretty funny in raids against these flygons with Swift / Boomburst / Breaking Swipe / Earthquake. Well, it's about as funny as sitting through 50+ individual "wide guard protected ____'s ____." dialogues. :geno:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
What's been the most replayable Pokemon?

I rarely replay Pokemon games after I'm 'done' with them, but lately I've actually gotten the urge to replay either HGSS or ORAS. The former because I enjoyed it, the latter because I wanted to give it a second go since my first run through it was 'okay, but I'm not hooked despite loving Team Aqua's redesign'.

I'd replay Platinum but I think I gave my cartridge away forever ago.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
the newer games have way better pokemon variety and the desperately-needed quality of life that we never had back in the day, but the sheer quantity of cutscenes and overall linearity kinda hurts their replayability.

hg/ss has the issue of being in the worst pokemon region, which is kind of a death sentence to their replay potential despite how great a lot of the other stuff in them is. oras kind of does a reverse-hgss where they take a really well-designed and structured region that had some teething issues and absolutely clubbed it to death trying to make it linear and plot-focused.

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007

Quote posted:

Completed the DLC Pokedexes get you a crown hat for each area. I personally like the Tundra crown better.

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Well, there goes the Hall of Fame...

do u believe in marigolds posted:

Completed the DLC Pokedexes get you a crown hat for each area. I personally like the Tundra crown better.
Not that we would ever get this, but I wish wearing the Tundra's crown gave you the move animation that Peony gets under certain circumstances. Yes, you know the one.

Feb 2, 2005

ApplesandOranges posted:

What's been the most replayable Pokemon?

I rarely replay Pokemon games after I'm 'done' with them, but lately I've actually gotten the urge to replay either HGSS or ORAS. The former because I enjoyed it, the latter because I wanted to give it a second go since my first run through it was 'okay, but I'm not hooked despite loving Team Aqua's redesign'.

I'd replay Platinum but I think I gave my cartridge away forever ago.

I've replayed every game at least once, with the exception of Ultra Sun and Moon. The originals, for me, were the most replayable. I had a scruffy yellow legal pad where I mapped out the 25 potential teams I could have that used every Pokemon at least once. I'd say I got more than halfway there. And almost failed eighth grade because the game had huge hooks in me.

I played so much that I once triggered a strange arbitrary code execution completely by accident. I distinctly remember fighting one of the gamblers in the fields east of Saffron City and at the end of the battle my Pikachu (who had not participated in the battle at all) evolved into Raichu. I didn't even have a Thunderstone in my inventory. I scoured the internet for an explanation but it wasn't until years later that I saw the Mew glitch done for the first time that I realized the sort of backdoor shenanigans that can happen with those old gameboy games.

e: backdoor shenanigans is, incidentally, the reason I would almost fail Junior year :heysexy:

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

Quote posted:

I've replayed every game at least once, with the exception of Ultra Sun and Moon. The originals, for me, were the most replayable. I had a scruffy yellow legal pad where I mapped out the 25 potential teams I could have that used every Pokemon at least once. I'd say I got more than halfway there. And almost failed eighth grade because the game had huge hooks in me.

I played so much that I once triggered a strange arbitrary code execution completely by accident. I distinctly remember fighting one of the gamblers in the fields east of Saffron City and at the end of the battle my Pikachu (who had not participated in the battle at all) evolved into Raichu. I didn't even have a Thunderstone in my inventory. I scoured the internet for an explanation but it wasn't until years later that I saw the Mew glitch done for the first time that I realized the sort of backdoor shenanigans that can happen with those old gameboy games.

e: backdoor shenanigans is, incidentally, the reason I would almost fail Junior year :heysexy:

On the stones, there are Pokemon that share the hexcode with evolution stones, like Exxegutor us moon stone.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

In anime news I guess the dub of the current series is getting cancelled prematurely:

https://www.cbr.com/pokemon-journeys-final-episodes-release-date-announced/

As far as I’m aware the only version of this season that’s on Netflix in the US is the dub and that’s still a decent ways behind the Japanese original, not sure what else this could mean since there hasn’t been any major new game announced yet and it seems too soon for the series to be ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Larryb posted:

In anime news I guess the dub of the current series is getting cancelled prematurely:

https://www.cbr.com/pokemon-journeys-final-episodes-release-date-announced/

As far as I’m aware the only version of this season that’s on Netflix in the US is the dub and that’s still a decent ways behind the Japanese original, not sure what else this could mean since there hasn’t been any major new game announced yet and it seems too soon for the series to be ending.

Might just be the end of that "Season" of the dub, which doesn't follow the same "Season" style as the Japanese version - for example, Sun & Moon in Japan was 146 episodes straight, whereas overseas, it was broken up into multiple seasons

Although given the quality of the dub since DP, Old Yeller'ing it would probably be an improvement at this point