Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

My Lovely Horse posted:

TEENAGER: my father will definitely beat me, I obviously know this from experience (hides in a car rather than go home)
MOTHER: eeeeh he probably won't really, anyway let me deliver you to him and whoops look at the time gotta go you'll find your own way inside kid
(aside) Ohgeegosh this is certainly a very bad situation which isn't any of my business at all and I have no hand in what happens whatsoever, oh how cruel is the world (peels out)

No one else remembers this kinda scene from Forrest Gump? Where everyone in the town knew poo poo was going down at Jenny's house but the kid was a loving pariah because of it?

So was it the 90's or later that the Very Special Episodes became more of a "See Something, Do loving Something!"

I mean it still happens, the reddit thread in GBS is full of people who see abuse but don't want to call CPS or get involved. "Not my business!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It's very traditional, for want of a better word. You wouldn't interfere with someone loving up their own house, you wouldn't interfere with someone loving up their own kids.

Child raising not being equivalent to a sort of human Groverhouse project is still an alien concept to a lot of people.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
BCN

Phoebe

Wallace

Curtis

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Kavak posted:

Someone tell us how the rest of this plotline goes so we can know how mad we need to be at Lynn.
If you're prone to high blood pressure or anything I'd just give the strip a pass for a while

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1946

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (June 9, 2009)

Arlo and Janis Classic (June 9, 1999)

Garfield Classic (June 9, 1989)

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

B Kliban

I'm going to ask a boomer why eskimo's were inherently funny

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
The Lockhorns Okay, this is my new favorite Lockhorns panel

Brewster Rockit Space Guy

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens another thing i am wondering is what do you think the eggs smell like haha im just curious for laughs haha i would like to smell them

Kevin & Kell

Mother Goose & Grimm

Hagar The Horrible

Sherman's Lagoon

Ella Cinders

Zorro

Reply All

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

FrumpleOrz posted:

On The Fastrack

from the "credit where it's due" department, Dethany's (from "On the Fastrack") new hairdo patches the long-standing Absolutely Enormous Forehead issue of years past

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moominposting

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

FrumpleOrz posted:

Kevin & Kell

Thought Dethany might be up next for Holbrook's fetish but I guess not with the bird lady and now this

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Everything about Lockhorns scream “legacy strip that has outstayed its welcome” except it’s actually funny. It’s quite remarkable.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

FrumpleOrz posted:

On The Fastrack

Outstanding choice, I know the first person I want everyone to meet from my company is someone with a permanent scowl on their face who acts like an rear end in a top hat to everyone they interact with.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popular Comics, racist caricatures again.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

SubNat posted:

Moominposting

Is that a Jenny Haniver in panel two?

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Mämmilä

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

EBB posted:

Thought Dethany might be up next for Holbrook's fetish but I guess not with the bird lady and now this

theyve been dating for over 20 years and all of his friends and siblings have married and have kids

maybe weve reached the k&k endgame :ohdear:

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Last two panels of that Mammila are soothing salve for the soul. Like the opposite of Cruel Little Stories which always make me a tiny bit genuinely upset(so they're ridiculously effective.)

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Scary Gary :drac:

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Resident Idiot posted:

If you're pulling them from GoComics, you can view the page source and look for the bit starting "https://assets.amuniversal.com/" - that link will take you to the image in the best resolution GoComics has it, I think.

For example that strip is
code:
https://assets.amuniversal.com/a5d7bd405d21012ee3bd00163e41dd5b
Or this:

Transmodiar posted:

Just a heads up - Elysiume's CSS no longer works - if you want to get GoComics images, add this to the style editor of your choice:

code:
.item-comic-link-disabled, .js-item-comic-link, .item-comic-image {
    pointer-events: auto !important;
    cursor: default !important;
}
And here is a link to Elysiume's post with other options.

This maybe should go in the op?

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Gotta be Savarna.

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

And some of us thought something was going to happen here. Fools!

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The Far Side

Pickles

Zits

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Doomykins posted:

Last two panels of that Mammila are soothing salve for the soul. Like the opposite of Cruel Little Stories which always make me a tiny bit genuinely upset(so they're ridiculously effective.)

They really make you die inside a little. The end, no moral.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

Rae the Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

this one's one of my favorites

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Bogor

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

In this installment of The Timid Soul (March 9, 1936), two details to notice.

First, and more obviously, is the historical change towards what sort of discomfort would be expected from dentistry.

But perhaps more interesting is the way that Webster chose to portray Caspar's conversation with his dentist. How long were telephones a common feature of everyday life before someone invented the "repeat what the other person just said for the benefit of the audience" technique? And in what medium would it have originated -- theater, or...?

Parahexavoctal fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Feb 22, 2021

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Parahexavoctal posted:

But perhaps more interestingly is the way that Webster chose to portray Caspar's conversation with his dentist. How long were telephones a common feature of everyday life before someone invented the "repeat what the other person just said for the benefit of the audience" technique? And in what medium would it have originated -- theater, or...?]

Probably theater, yeah. Georgie Jessel was doing "phone call from Mama" skits on the vaudeville stage in the mid-1910s, and similarly, "Cohen on the Telephone" dates back to 1913.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Doomykins posted:

I thought I was following the story line but what happened to the dad now? Still in his tower? Dead? Deadbeat? meh

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Sep. 05, 1943)

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

LingcodKilla posted:

I thought I was following the story line but what happened to the dad now? Still in his tower? Dead? Deadbeat? meh

Is mentioned in the last comic where cat dude and his gal are watching the kid, the dad and mom are super successful and constantly on business trips because of it. I wonder if hermit dad is in a small ironic hell because of it.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
The Shadow and Flyin' Jenny Aug. 28th, 1940

Excuse me, Rick?

Axa

This dude's a loving creep, although I looked ahead and it's not nearly as bad as I was worried it might be.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Thanks to some helpful comments, Ballard Street returns sharper and better than ever!

And Michael for one is pleased with the proceedings.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Doomykins posted:

Is mentioned in the last comic where cat dude and his gal are watching the kid, the dad and mom are super successful and constantly on business trips because of it. I wonder if hermit dad is in a small ironic hell because of it.

Oh this is a separate set of parents and kids. My bad.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Goddamn I love Val.

"Why do we have to have peace when this man's face begs to be punched!"

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Doomykins posted:

One of the last time we saw Heimo, he was bemoaning his and his wife’s success because it felt soulless and hollow, and he wished that he could have a simpler life. One of the constant handyman-type guys basically told him that he shouldn’t complain about his good fortune when other people in town were struggling. Then Heimo spotted him some money.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
And He Did! (February 21, 1918)

Outbursts of Everett True (April 3, 1918)

Hitz and Mrs. (November 1923)

Gay and Her Gang (March 14, 1929)

Oaky Doaks (August 14, 1935)

Dark Laughter (September 6, 1941)

Mopsy Sunday (June 8, 1947)

Those Were the Days (June 28, 1951)

Dinky Fellas (May 5, 1965)

Wee Pals (May 5, 1965)

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Slammy posted:

Those Were the Days (June 28, 1951)

WHISKEY
SOURS

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Those vile women, always demanding a divorce.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Green Intern posted:

WHISKEY
SOURS

Chuck Asay meets Kelly, but unironically. It's amazing and also intolerable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Homebodies - 1954