Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Solice Kirsk posted:

I've only got a basic understanding of electronics, but why don't they just make a capacitor like the size of a building to store the power and release it at night? Man, electrical engineers are stupid.

Getting a capacitor to discharge more slowly than "all at once" is a challenge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Why not just a really, really, really large water tank.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Tell me why cars ever have to go away I mean couldn't you just have electric cars charging off a grid powered by nuclear plants? If you really, really, really had to do it that way even though you didn't want to? That's just forever power.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Why not just a really, really, really large water tank.

They have them, this one's been working for like 25 years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocky_Mountain_Hydroelectric_Plant

I think they're building another out in California. Unfortunately they're expensive and can only be built in mountains. But they work.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Tell me why cars ever have to go away I mean couldn't you just have electric cars charging off a grid powered by nuclear plants? If you really, really, really had to do it that way even though you didn't want to? That's just forever power.

People who could more easily imagine mutants than the climate apocalypse prevented that 30+ years ago.

Reindeer Flotilla
Mar 14, 2006

I RAN "COMEDY" THROUGH GOOGLE AND THIS IS ALL I GOT! ZULUZULUZULU!

Elviscat posted:

But every Schoolboy knows the recycling technologies will save us!

+1 for the Lost In Space movie quote, sir.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Solice Kirsk posted:

I've only got a basic understanding of electronics, but why don't they just make a capacitor like the size of a building to store the power and release it at night? Man, electrical engineers are stupid.

They actually kinda do that, after some massive blackouts South Australia set up a huge battery farm for reserve power.

ultrafilter posted:

I imagine hence why they tend to have lots of small batteries rather than one big one.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Krispy Wafer posted:

They have them, this one's been working for like 25 years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocky_Mountain_Hydroelectric_Plant

I think they're building another out in California. Unfortunately they're expensive and can only be built in mountains. But they work.

These are indeed real and very cool. For a broad definition of "battery" they're the largest we've ever built by a wide margin, both in terms of energy storage and physical dimensions.

e: there's a lot more than one though; they account for almost all of the world's grid storage

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Best to pay attention to how much of this is younger generations not having any money or secure work, and possibly having neglectful boomer parents who never gave them useful driving lessons and isolated them from any other opportunity to learn.
yeah the former is pretty big
https://twitter.com/stlouisfed/status/1356443482374701062

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I'm amazed that this didn't happen a couple of years ago when other brands were pulling mascots like the Land O'Lakes Native woman and Uncle Ben's

https://twitter.com/Phil_Lewis_/status/1359286844572188678?s=20

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Until they can scale nuclear breeder reactors up, nuclear is not a renewable resource and in fact might be rolling into its last couple of decades unless the demand for uranium increases quite a bit.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Rick posted:

Until they can scale nuclear breeder reactors up, nuclear is not a renewable resource and in fact might be rolling into its last couple of decades unless the demand for uranium increases quite a bit.

Yeah, Thorium breeder reactors are awesome.

There's tons and tons of cool poo poo that could be done with nuclear, but the it's shunned by the fossil fuel lobby, environmentalists, and most powerful of all, NIMBYs, so there's no support and no funding for it besides a bunch of nerds, some engineers, and warships.

Breaks my heart.

Elviscat has a new favorite as of 02:59 on Feb 10, 2021

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

FlamingLiberal posted:

I'm amazed that this didn't happen a couple of years ago when other brands were pulling mascots like the Land O'Lakes Native woman and Uncle Ben's

https://twitter.com/Phil_Lewis_/status/1359286844572188678?s=20

I know people joke about 2020 lasting forever but those things happened several months ago

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I guess this is the first look at what they decided to replace that logo with though. That patent was only filed at the beginning of the month.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I genuinely want brands of any food that is not inherently healthful and life-giving to transition into packaging that only shows the name of the brand, the contents of the container, and the nutrition information. Black and white with some neutral typeface. This is the dystopia I believe in.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Holy poo poo those boomer employment numbers. I knew they weren't retiring, but I didn't know it was quite that stark.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

It would be pretty nice if this graph was per capita as well; there's a lot more old folks than there used to be.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

ultrafilter posted:

It isn't. You don't use capacitors for bulk energy storage because they're about 5000X worse than lithium ion batteries in terms of energy stored per weight and self-discharge in a few days. They can (but don't have to) accept and release energy much faster though, so you can use them to smooth away fast changes or accumulate energy and deliver it all at once.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

I genuinely want brands of any food that is not inherently healthful and life-giving to transition into packaging that only shows the name of the brand, the contents of the container, and the nutrition information. Black and white with some neutral typeface. This is the dystopia I believe in.

not quite the same thing, but there was a company that did this with their food when I was a very small child. plain white labels that just said CORN or whatever.

I asked my parents about it and they said it was basically a marketing scheme: "our food is so inexpensive that our labels look like poo poo!"

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Empty Sandwich posted:

not quite the same thing, but there was a company that did this with their food when I was a very small child. plain white labels that just said CORN or whatever.

I asked my parents about it and they said it was basically a marketing scheme: "our food is so inexpensive that our labels look like poo poo!"

You sassin' Canadian Icon no-name?

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Rick posted:

Russia completed an 880 MWe breeder reactor in 2016 and China and India have 600 MWe and 500 MWe ones under construction respectively, so I'd consider it scaled up, at least from a technological perspective. It's just as you said there's not much reason to build breeder reactors as long as demand remains low.

The bigger issue is that even if nuclear is made sustainable, it still has to deal with being a real machine where every megawatt of capacity requires an investment of concrete, steel, precision machinery, and manpower. It can give a good return on the resources invested, but it won't make power or resources infinite. Even if we got around the issue of power generation and battery resources by powering cars Fred Flintstone style, US car culture would still be unsustainable. Each new vehicle represents a massive expenditure of resources and a massive amount of expensive-to-maintain (and poorly scalable) infrastructure like highways and parking garages. And they're not just less efficient per mile, their use requires greater spacing between points of interest, meaning the waste scales exponentially.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Rick posted:

It’s still not a renewable resource, but that’s a distinction without a difference when the reserves are so large.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

people thought that about north american old growth timber too

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

IIRC there's still bits of Australia so naturally radioactive it's not safe to spend too long there.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Microcline posted:

Russia completed an 880 MWe breeder reactor in 2016 and China and India have 600 MWe and 500 MWe ones under construction respectively, so I'd consider it scaled up, at least from a technological perspective. It's just as you said there's not much reason to build breeder reactors as long as demand remains low.

China's also building US designed PWRs at a frenetic rate, Westinghouse is collaborating with them on the successor to the AP1000, which is IMO one of the best conventional reactor designs ever.

China as a whole are seriously committed to reducing their emissions footprint, and while they're still one of the worst offenders I'd bet in ten years they blow past the US in terms of CO2 emissions.

Russia is Russia, and I'm suspect of anything they build to contain the Bad Atoms, and always will be regardless of merit.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

bunnyofdoom posted:

You sassin' Canadian Icon no-name?

Better not be.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Empty Sandwich posted:

hell yeah I remember stuff like that

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Whooping Crabs posted:

Remember basically living off this brand when I was younger, dad was super cheap.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Wow, they even sold fathers?

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Rick posted:

Why do you say this? Are mining companies not really that interested in mining for uranium anymore?

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Empty Sandwich posted:

I remember when Lucky grocery chain in Northrrn California brought out a line of generic prepackaged food which was just like that, except the label was yellow with the big bold black sans-serif font. They even had BEER in six-packs.

Fake edit: holy poo poo, a commercial for it:

https://youtu.be/USDi0gP3lNw

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

silence_kit posted:

Why do you say this? Are mining companies not really that interested in mining for uranium anymore?

Was also curious, so I went Googling and found this:

Looks like uranium mining in the USA has fallen off a cliff, but in general is pretty stable.

Churchill
Nov 27, 2007
Winston

JnnyThndrs posted:

I remember when Lucky grocery chain in Northrrn California brought out a line of generic prepackaged food which was just like that, except the label was yellow with the big bold black sans-serif font. They even had BEER in six-packs.

Still very much a thing, at least in Canada

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_Name_(brand)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Gort posted:

Looks like uranium mining in the USA has fallen off a cliff, but in general is pretty stable.

I know Borat jokes are well played out, but I feel like there's really something you could do with this.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Churchill posted:

Still very much a thing, at least in Canada

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_Name_(brand)

It’s an institution.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

JnnyThndrs posted:

yes! this is the type of thing and the era, but I think it was a similar gimmick at (perhaps) Kroger.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
99% Invisible had an episode about generics and how they came about.

https://99percentinvisible.org/episode/podcast-episode/

I vaguely recall those white cans with black letters for beer. Nothing else. Just beer. But even my dad, who’d drink vanilla extract in a pinch, couldn’t stand generic beer.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Platystemon posted:

Wow, they even sold fathers?

:noice:

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Whooping Crabs posted:

not my favorite 2pac album, but a solid contender

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Gort posted:

IIRC the us government actually stopped prospecting for uranium in the middle of the cold war because they didn't see any need to find more sites