Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Desperado Bones posted:

There's this Marvel 616 documentary in Disney+, first episode is about that show and oh boy, it was so cool, they did some crazy stuff. It seems they were among the first ones to bring a transformable robot.

I think its the 2nd or 3rd one but its Paul Scheer basically trying to launch a new show based on the most obscure Marvel property he can find. After identifying the team (Brute Force), he gets an animation studio to make a small clip then auditions people like John Hamm and Nicole Beyer for the role. I highly recommend it just for the deep dive on some of Marvel's most obscure stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Vandar posted:

Japanese Spider-Man is the entire reason that Super Sentai / Power Rangers have giant robots.

Specifically, the follow-up show was originally a similarly loose tokusatsu version of the Avengers, but the Marvel deal fell through, so they retooled it slightly, but kept the robot, and then it just became a recurring element.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I really wanted that episode to be a pilot for a series where Paul Scheer tries to make obscure Marvel characters marketable. Even just one-issue characters or corny 60s villains could be really fun, there's SO much buried content there.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Gaz-L posted:

Oh, I think you underestimate how much CEOs hate the idea of another CEO making money from their IP, even if it makes them a lot of cash too.

It used to happen on TV all the time. See, I have this crazy theory about the kid from St. Elsewhere...

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

sticklefifer posted:

I really wanted that episode to be a pilot for a series where Paul Scheer tries to make obscure Marvel characters marketable. Even just one-issue characters or corny 60s villains could be really fun, there's SO much buried content there.

I still think Condiment Man could be interesting somehow, I just can't figure out how.

A Legends of Tomorrow type series with all the weirdo Marvel people from way back when could work, throw some spaghetti at the wall and see what sticks kind of thing. It also gives you an excuse to drop people and bring in new ones at any time.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

sticklefifer posted:

You are so right, I would absolutely watch that show, and Paul Scheer is the perfect person to host it.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Isn't condiment king dc

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Azhais posted:

Isn't condiment king dc

He is! He was also in the Batman Lego Movie!

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
If we're looking for tragically underutilized small characters we need to find a way to cross over too much coffee man or scud the disposable assassin

or battle pope

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
Condiment King is Kite Man's nemesis in the animated Harley Quinn show and it's loving great.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
I'm a fan of Turner D. Century myself.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Azhais posted:

If we're looking for tragically underutilized small characters we need to find a way to cross over too much coffee man or scud the disposable assassin

or battle pope

If Kirkman hasn't gotten Battle Pope done yet, after the money printing machine that is TWD, it ain't happening.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Gaz-L posted:

If Kirkman hasn't gotten Battle Pope done yet, after the money printing machine that is TWD, it ain't happening.

Kirkman was my teacher in college and such a dick. He thought he was hot poo poo because of Battle Pope when every single person in the class thought he was a joke. He would get really critical on students who had real talent too which was really lovely. He berated one kid who was self publishing stuff so bad that they ended up stop doing their book.

I heard he has gotten a lot better but I will always have a negative opinion of him because of how he treated a bunch of teenagers.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
He's kind of a one-trick pony outside of TWD. "What if *thing* BUT GORY? Isn't that hosed up, man?!"

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

I just wish Erik Larsen had any interest in letting someone make Savage Dragon into a series. That book has had so many tonal shifts over the years it’d be easy to switch it up each season.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Argue posted:

Marvel Television was almost entirely Perlmutter's thing, and that guy was a real piece of poo poo who was at odds with Feige to boot. I believe he was the one who kept trying to push the Inhuman agenda forward too. There may or may not have been bad blood between Feige and Whedon towards the end over how AoU was run and turned out, but I think--and this is just informed speculation because nobody really knows--the biggest deal with AoS and other shows isn't that so much Whedon as it is Feige really not wanting to acknowledge Perlmutter's stuff as being part of the MCU. Now that he's out, who knows if Kevin will be amenable to roping in previously cast TV characters.

To dive further, Perlmutter also had a heavy hand in the movies until 2013 or so. Famously his meddling drove away Edgar Wright and Jon Favreau, chose recasting Rhodey over negotiating with Howard becuase "nobody can tell them apart anyway", and forced Shane Black to change Iron Man 3 mid filming to make Guy Pearce the villain instead of Rebecca Hall because "boys don't want action figures of chicks". After all this and more Feige gave the board an ultimatum that if he didn't get sole control over the movie division he was walking. Ever since he's fought to keep the two studios separate to keep Perlmutter from clawing his way back in.

Edit: fixed to the right Terrance.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Feb 10, 2021

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

I think you referenced the wrong Zoddamned Terrance.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I thought the main reason that Howard didn't return as Rhodey was over money

in that he wanted an absurd amount to come back after Iron Man was a hit

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

FlamingLiberal posted:

Marvel were the assholes here for signing him to a big contract and then recasting him for the crime of checks notes asking them to honor the contract.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

To dive further, Perlmutter also had a heavy hand in the movies until 2013 or so. Famously his meddling drove away Edgar Wright and Jon Favreau, chose recasting Rhodey over negotiating with Howard becuase "nobody can tell them apart anyway", and forced Shane Black to change Iron Man 3 mid filming to make Guy Pearce the villain instead of Rebecca Hall because "boys don't want action figures of chicks". After all this and more Feige gave the board an ultimatum that if he didn't get sole control over the movie division he was walking. Ever since he's fought to keep the two studios separate to keep Perlmutter from clawing his way back in.

Edit: fixed to the right Terrance.

sounds like he probably hosed up AoU too then, that's such a mishmash of a movie compared to how tight avengers was.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Ike Perlmutter is a legendary assfuck. No one I have ever known that has interacted with the guy has ever had a nice thing to say about him. He basically schemed to take over Marvel. Disney never wanted anything to do with him and tried to push him out for years. His involvement with the scandal with Trump and the Department of Veterans Affairs gave them the cover to effectively push him out.

FlamingLiberal posted:

He was owed and wanted the pay raise that he deserved after Iron Man was a hit. He was the highest paid actor in the first since he was the most bankable star since RDJ was still trying to rebuild his career, Jeff Bridges hadn't had a hit in a decade and Paltrow never really had ever been a bankable star. They famously hosed him over bad and did a full court blitz to try and make him seem like the bad guy. The true story came out later but it was too late. Cheadle's deal ended up giving him backend money which was roughly about what Howard would have been paid in the first place, so they didn't even save any money.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Djarum posted:

Ike Perlmutter is a legendary assfuck. No one I have ever known that has interacted with the guy has ever had a nice thing to say about him. He basically schemed to take over Marvel. Disney never wanted anything to do with him and tried to push him out for years. His involvement with the scandal with Trump and the Department of Veterans Affairs gave them the cover to effectively push him out.
As much as I don't want to be harsh on the InHumans it was Perlmutter who was big on pushing them and forcing Marvel basically to just make X-Men and FF disappear from any Marvel Property right?

Also his other deal was that he had not had a professional photograph taken of him since the 90s

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
My favorite thing Perlmutter did when he had involvement in the films was have Subway cater the press junkets. loving Subway. "Hope you like our movie, you shitheads, eat fresh!"

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

My favorite thing Perlmutter did when he had involvement in the films was have Subway cater the press junkets. loving Subway. "Hope you like our movie, you shitheads, eat fresh!"

He is legendarily stingy with money, a huge part of why the Netflix Marvel shows sucked (especially Iron Fist) was him absolutely adamant they should require less money than they needed.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

achillesforever6 posted:

As much as I don't want to be harsh on the InHumans it was Perlmutter who was big on pushing them and forcing Marvel basically to just make X-Men and FF disappear from any Marvel Property right?

Also his other deal was that he had not had a professional photograph taken of him since the 90s

I am not sure if it was him, I think it came more from Disney themselves since Fox wouldn't play ball. I know at one point they were looking to make an argument that since Wolverine was an Avenger they could use him in the MCU. Perlmutter was still heavily involved with the Fox Movies from what I understand since Marvel Entertainment got a piece of them still.

radlum
May 13, 2013

Djarum posted:

He was owed and wanted the pay raise that he deserved after Iron Man was a hit. He was the highest paid actor in the first since he was the most bankable star since RDJ was still trying to rebuild his career, Jeff Bridges hadn't had a hit in a decade and Paltrow never really had ever been a bankable star. They famously hosed him over bad and did a full court blitz to try and make him seem like the bad guy. The true story came out later but it was too late. Cheadle's deal ended up giving him backend money which was roughly about what Howard would have been paid in the first place, so they didn't even save any money.

Had no idea this is what happened...still, Cheadle has done such a good job with War Machine (and seems to actually be a cool dude) that it's kind of weird that this is an awful decision that turned out to be right.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Reminded of what's going on with Geoff Johns with old fuckers ending up blowing up their own careers out of pettiness and racism.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

radlum posted:

Had no idea this is what happened...still, Cheadle has done such a good job with War Machine (and seems to actually be a cool dude) that it's kind of weird that this is an awful decision that turned out to be right.

Cheadle also got offered the part at the last minute and had like hours to decide to take it or not. It seemed to have worked out for him in the end but it was a super lovely deal all around.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Reminded of what's going on with Geoff Johns with old fuckers ending up blowing up their own careers out of pettiness and racism.

Oh I have stories about Geoff Johns that I wish I could tell. There are a lot of people that aren't sad to see him finally getting what is coming to him. Jeph Loeb maybe the only person connected to comics that I think more people have had negative experiences with. Loeb, if I ever see in public I will gladly get arrested for beating him unmercifully. He was banned from Marvel's Offices in NYC because of multiple incidents, it is why he got punted to work on the television stuff.

Djarum fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Feb 10, 2021

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Didn't Loeb lose his mind after his son died and started writing exclusively brutal violence to the point of literally killing the Ultimate Universe?

Geo Fixer
Jan 10, 2012

"Freedom lies in being bold."
-Robert Frost

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Didn't Loeb lose his mind after his son died and started writing exclusively brutal violence to the point of literally killing the Ultimate Universe?

That's a pretty apt summary.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Ok I really want to know the Geoff Jones and jeph Loeb stories. I only know the former for tone deaf writing in some DC comics and the latter for heroes and maybe some subpar event comics here and there

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I never knew him before his son passed, so I can't give a first hand experience but knowing people who always knew him he was always a giant piece of poo poo. The reason why he went into comics is because he basically got chased out of Hollywood. Took him a decade before he got a chance again and you saw how well that went. I mean if you are even modestly successful in that town you can keep working basically forever and he had several big hits. They would even look the other way if you were problematic as long as you made money, as seen by all of the many stories we have seen over the last several years come out. Loeb has always been a special kind of scumbag piece of poo poo. It's not a surprise that Johns and him are good friends and shared a studio.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Still some weird funny irony that Geoff Johns was pushing Cyborg on the Justice League ridiculously hard (despite never thinking of anything useful to actually do with him) and then went out of his way specifically to alienate the actor who played him and let another racist completely erase his character.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

So who was responsible for the turd that is Inhumans?

Edit context here is that the wife and I went through AOS as a pandemic thing. liked it, then thought oh this sounds like it’s a continuation of that story line... wait this is godawful.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Bar Ran Dun posted:

So who was responsible for the turd that is Inhumans?

Edit context here is that the wife and I went through AOS as a pandemic thing. liked it, then thought oh this sounds like it’s a continuation of that story line... wait this is godawful.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LChUEzIyoBQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_R_pxHn2VE

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
i loved the Inhumans in the 90s when the only thing I ever read was Paul Jenkins and Jae Lee's Inhumans from the far too short lived Marvel Knights imprint. Its actually really good, and then because capitalism they made Earth X into the main marvel universe because they didnt own mutants anymore and everything went to poo poo.

I heard Warren Ellis did a Karnak comic that was good but Ellis is problematic now to say the least.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Comic books are just a ludicrously reader-hostile format now.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Isn't Mr Sunday Movies a huge chud? Or am I again confusing them with someone else?

And Inhumans is its own, bad, crummy thing that the only good that came out of it is that it gave Anson Mount attention. I watched the whole drat thing and god it was awful. Like Maximus is literally committing murder constantly, and at the end we're suppose to feel sorry for him? Or Medusa saying "I'll never forgive you for this" when Maximus cuts all her hair off (because animating hair would be expensive) when we already know he hates her, wow good threat.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Other than the word "Inhumans" existing in both shows, Inhumans and AoS aren't related in any way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Comic books are just a ludicrously reader-hostile format now.

I stopped following them in the late 2000s and a few months back wanted to look up like a ranking of the best writer runs in comics of the last twenty years, namely where did Bendis' Daredevil and Brubaker's Captain America rank (they were #2 and #3 - Bendis' Daredevil is the best run on the character ever fight me - #1 was Morrison's Batman)

but the thing that stood out like a sore thumb was that only ONE comic run was post 2010. ONE. It was Brian K Vaughan's Saga. That was it. It was shocking. This listing wasn't just mainstream mainline comics either, BKV's Y: the Last Man was in there too for example, but that only ONE comic showed up in a decade was just depressing.

The 2000s felt like comics had finally gotten their footing as being something more than just well comic books giving writer driven projects time and space. Then everything went to poo poo.