Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Declan MacManus posted:

he has hired a succession of coaches that have gone on to get poached by bigger programs over and over but he keeps hitting on them so that’s encouraging

Think he got there right after Gus left but he would have hired Harsin and Blake Anderson which is pretty good. They've been one of the most consistent Sun Belt teams

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

The Notorious ZSB posted:

I mean yes, but also what possible position did he land a roster spot in the NFL at?

he's a cornerback

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Anyone have a breakdown on Al Washington? Apparently UT is trying to hire him for the DC position from OSU. Supposedly we made him an offer which OSU countered, then we just came back over the top. No real details otherwise, sounds like we want him pretty bad though.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Joey Freshwater posted:

Anyone have a breakdown on Al Washington? Apparently UT is trying to hire him for the DC position from OSU. Supposedly we made him an offer which OSU countered, then we just came back over the top. No real details otherwise, sounds like we want him pretty bad though.

Great recruiter.

Linebackers were solid for his year at Michigan.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Alaois posted:

he's a cornerback

Dude ain't long for the league having bounced between so many positions. Lucky man to get a ring out of it.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/30867211/notre-dame-florida-schedule-2031-32-home-home-series

quote:

Notre Dame and Florida have agreed to a home-and-home series in 2031 and 2032, the schools announced on Tuesday.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Ah yes. Can’t wait to see this game when I’m in my late 40s and both programs will be completely different.

NCAA scheduling is so loving stupid.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Yeah I'm going to stream the game on my PS6.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

“that covid thing where we just improvised a schedule? yeah never gonna happen again gently caress to you buddy”

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

LeeMajors posted:

Ah yes. Can’t wait to see this game when I’m in my late 40s and both programs will be completely different.

NCAA scheduling is so loving stupid.

I waited like 15 years for the PSU@VT game, then a global pandemic canceled it and there's no plan to reschedule.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Tennessee does poo poo like that randomly too. When Lane left a home and home popped up with USC but it was like 8-10 years out. It of course was eventually cancelled or “postponed”.

What’s the point? Surely you can’t buy tickets that far out. What advantage is there to scheduling that far out?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
This was back during bowl season but I rember hearing some talking head on Sirius throw out the idea that, with games coming together so quickly this year, the need to schedule that far out is even more absurd.

If you really want a strong schedule, you can put one together with just a season's (or less) notice.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
I know there obviously different circumstances between the two sports, but NCAAB has no issue scheduling on a year by year basis so I don't see why it's that difficult for NCAAF.

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
So many schools only want one "good" out of conference game a year so they can keep their home games against lower competition to bolster their wins. If you do a home and home, that's two years taken up already. Find two or three teams to play and you're 4-6 years out already. It's dumb no doubt but easy to see how things end up getting scheduled so far out.

Stanley Tucheetos
May 15, 2012

Mike_V posted:

I know there obviously different circumstances between the two sports, but NCAAB has no issue scheduling on a year by year basis so I don't see why it's that difficult for NCAAF.

Georgia and Oklahoma scheduled one for 2023 so that's only a couple years away so it's definitely possible. The other part of the home and home is in 2031 though.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Scheduling announcements are so bizarre because they have gotten so far out the Boomer Boosters that they are designed for are going to be long dead by the time the game rolls around

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Elon Musk has stricter timelines for his Mars colony.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

That UGA Oklahoma game is going to loving own. The my 100% homer take is that the UGA/OU Rose Bowl was one of the best college football games, period. It was sports drama at its best, the back and forth nobody could stop anybody on offense, Rodrigo being a god drat hero (miss u bby), Baker just being that drat good, it’s like everything you want in a football game. I know there are other “best games” but it was up there for sure.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Minnesota has announced the first game to take place on the Moon. It will be against Auburn in the year 2099

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

soggybagel posted:

Minnesota has announced the first game to take place on the Moon. It will be against Auburn in the year 2099

Seems optimistic on several levels

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

General Dog posted:

Seems optimistic on several levels

Think about the mental health of our brave soldiers of Space Force deployed on the moon.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

When does Space Force get a football team?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Bird in a Blender posted:

I can’t be the only one who thinks a team made of starship troops could win the super bowl.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Well after they get special Martian powers, who will stand in their way?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Moon Boots are an impermissible benefit, but you can provide your players Moon Cleats.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Bird in a Blender posted:

I'm not sure they have enough people to fill out a roster

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Sash! posted:

I'm not sure they have enough people to fill out a roster

Sounds like an easy way to make a roster to me.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Tim Tebow III has entered the transfer stargate

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
32 top 2021 Texas football recruits were asked under the condition of anonymity what the most overrated school in the state was

quote:

• Texas, have been an average team for a while
  • Texas. Do not know how to recruit right.
  • UT Austin
  • Texas. They get tons of highly rated recruits but can’t seem to put those super talented guys on the field and have them pan out
  • Univ of Texas , they get top guys every year but don’t put any in the league
  • Texas, because they get 4-5 Star recruits every year but can’t do anything with them
  • Texas and boosters
  • Alabama
  • Thay are not
  • Texas because they play LSU
  • UT because they suck
  • Ut because there ut
  • Baylor- horrible town and bad program since Rhule left
  • UT. They just are
  • Texas they don’t have a history of producing talent to the league
  • oklahoma state just because
  • SMU- they don’t play any elite teams
  • Texas, never gets it together
  • Texas tech and because my friend Coby is about to go there
  • Texas lol
  • UT, they haven't seemed to be able to get things going on the inside. Also heard poor things about how the old staff would treat players after signing.
  • Texas A&M. they just overrated
  • Texas idk why
  • Texas
  • Baylor
  • I don’t think any are overrated
  • Texas idk they annoying
  • Texas and they never produce and they constantly get multiple top recruits
  • Texas
  • Not sure
  • Texas because Horns down
  • A&M. They lost to UCLA... in football... Thats all.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

soggybagel posted:

Minnesota plays their heart out for their the final game coached by PJ Mech before he's involuntarily obsoleted; Auburn, once again coached by Gus Malzahn after Jimmy Sexton discovers his old contract actually requires the university to upload his consciousness to the clAUd and rehire him upon his natural death, looks listless after an emotional Iron Bowl victory precedes an SECCG loss to Florida's climatically similar campus on Venus. Gophers 38-21.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Most over-rated school in texas is... Alabama. First of all, Alabama pretty much is always rated exactly where they need to be because they've earned the benefit of the doubt. Secondly, Alabama... isn't in texas?

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

KKKLIP ART posted:

Most over-rated school in texas is... Alabama. First of all, Alabama pretty much is always rated exactly where they need to be because they've earned the benefit of the doubt. Secondly, Alabama... isn't in texas?

No one said the educational systems in Texas were actually good at teaching things like what is in your state.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I like the one dude who bags on Aggie for losing to UCLA, but forgot Texas lost to Kansas

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

dunno why they'd dunk on poor smu like that

also none of them think houston's overrated? wild

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

KKKLIP ART posted:

1 out of 32 top high school football players being a complete and total loving idiot is a much lower number than I would have guessed

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

GD_American posted:

1 out of 32 top high school football players being a complete and total loving idiot is a much lower number than I would have guessed

there's also one that says okst

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
I like the dude that said texas tech because his friend is going there

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
That guy saying he heard bad things about how Herman and crew treated players touches on something that came up in all the talk around the sudden reversal and firing of Herman. Supposedly word got back to the AD that current players were negative recruiting against Texas, privately telling recruits not to come play for Herman. Supposedly Sam Ehlinger was among them.

If that's true I suspect it would be more about treatment or other interpersonal stuff between Sam and Herman than about coaching but that's just a guess. I could understand Ehlinger's frustration at the failure to bring it all together and win big while he put the team on his back over and over and over, but I also question whether Sam would have shined the way he did under someone else. Say what you will about Tom but his offense has a pretty impressive history of getting production out of QBs with significant limitations. Braxton Miller, JT Barrett, Cardale Jones, Greg Ward, and now Sam Ehlinger.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

KKKLIP ART posted:

I suppose you could parse it as what school is perceived as overrated by Texans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

soggybagel posted:

Inaugural Moon Bowl has to be Purdue vs UCF, right?