Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boz
Oct 16, 2005
They will. I have a friend who we finally peer pressured to use a regular headset cause we were sick of hearing games and spotify.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Real hurthling! posted:

Everyone will be mad at hearing the game audio in your comms

Do what I do (for the same reasons); Cheap-ish Turtlebeach Recon Chat Headset (single-ear over-head job) combined with a wireless Modmic :v:.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Real hurthling! posted:

I can't imagine a world where not enjoying having a stupid strap on my head is so terrible. If I cared what you thought of me we'd be talking on discord anyway.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Sometimes I deliberately reduce my damping just to irritate people I don't feel like dealing with. Oh no I am too old to know how compooper work. It worked just fine a minute ago!

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

I said come in! posted:

I need 13 Sentinels to be 50% off on PSN Store.

Good news, 13 Sentinels is 50% off on the PSN Store until the 25th.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Trash talking children in Rainbow Six and then remuting my controller while they whine about the bad audio quality is my hobby. Or not muting and laughing quietly next to the vent fan and airplane engine that is my laptop.

It's nice because it's self-selecting for masochism. If you don't want to hear it you'll just mute me in the menu.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Imagine being so committed to insulting someone that you'll destroy your eardrums to do it.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

boz posted:

They will. I have a friend who we finally peer pressured to use a regular headset cause we were sick of hearing games and spotify.

Mic bullshit is real. My one friend broke his at some point so every single time he gets on he has to wiggle it around until we tell him it sounds fine. While wiggling, it blows my eardrums out. He’s one of my best friends but it’s been like a loving year since he broke it.

Another is just a friend of a friend so no big loss but he had a mic only setup with Fox News in the background. He was also a heavy mouth breather. I would mute him for 10-15 minutes at a time then pop back in to ask if he needed anything before I mute him again.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Real hurthling! posted:

I keep my poo poo on mute unless I'm talking so I don't care. That's why I like the xbox one, you just hit a button to unmute, say whatever you're going to say, then just hit the button to mute again.

I don't want game chat coming through my speakers because I don't need some loving 10 year old calling me a homophobic slur to be broadcast through my house.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Feb 10, 2021

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Mic bullshit isn't an issue if you don't use headphones.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It’s comforting to know you do the Big Mouth Billy Bass routine everywhere on every platform to everyone

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Bust Rodd posted:

It’s comforting to know you do the Big Mouth Billy Bass routine everywhere on every platform to everyone

take no shame in being who you are

IM OBNOXIOUS

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Seriously though headphones (and earphones!) give me a horrible headache and I don't have to be super quiet for anyone in particular when I'm actually playing so I tend to not wear them. I prefer to voice chat with discord since I can use my Yeti and the cardioid settings plus speaker positioning and noise canceling to minimize the effect for anyone who god forbid actually wants to talk with me. I'm just an rear end in a top hat to people who are assholes about it because I don't have time or respect for anyone who is incapable of understanding that people can be different than them. Plus I tend to have multiple people around and headphones are very specifically "This is for me and me alone" and I'm just not that exclusionary I suppose. Everyone is always welcome, except me, usually, hahaha.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
It's ok casnorf, you're among friends here

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Casnorf posted:

IM OBNOXIOUS

we know.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Casnorf posted:

IM OBNOXIOUS

Also that's a bonita. Caught'im in the mid-90's. 28 incher, ran straight back and I had a hell of a fight. Biggest fish of the day. Was great. Now he hangs on the wall next to the 45-inch king mackerel my wife caught on our honeymoon. Can't wait to get back out there. We had to change locations that day down in the gulf about halfway through after I brought up half a grouper and the nine-foot bull shark who took the other half breached just to let us know who was boss.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
I know people irl whose life would markedly improve if they took a little shame in who they are/accounted for how their behavior impacts others.

So your mileage may vary hugely. Shame is good op

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

KingSlime posted:

I know people irl whose life would markedly improve if they took a little shame in who they are/accounted for how their behavior impacts others.

Those are separate things. You can take no shame in yourself and still account for how your behavior impacts others. Like I said, there's a ton of extraneous noise reduction or canceling I will cheerfully do, but I did leave off the part where I won't trash talk someone unless they're being obnoxious first. You have to opt-in to that kind of banter, you know? Never assume someone will be okay with you making fun of them. This is one reason 99% of my posts are making fun of me. I am sure I can take it.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Being 100% unapologetically yourself is fine as long as you make peace with the fact that some people are just going to find you completely insufferable because you vibe on different frequencies.

It’s why the most successful marriages are between 2 incredibly annoying people.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

casnorf owns, having no shame owns, being a big dumb goon owns, living in accordance with your true will and maximizing the inner self while controlling the ego but not pretending to ever actually be able to kill it owns

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Well hey as long as you're not blasting spotify or some other annoying environmental sounds into the game, then sure live your best life.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Aw man, Hogwarts Legacy pushed back to 2022.

Understandable tho, it might have the highest expectations of a video game since Cyberpunk (would not be surprised if Cyberpunk's launch pushed them to delay and polish).

I hope it's good. Sandbox games are so hit & miss.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

One of my two successful PS5 orders on walmart got cancelled. That's fair, I guess, but annoying. I had friends lined up for them.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I hope that goon didn't end up buying a physical copy of 13 Sentinels yet...

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1359425970000732160

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Is 13 Sentinels good? I usually just kinda ignore that type of anime styling but this thread seems pretty high on it.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

I asked the same question and kept reading articles saying the gameplay is whatever, kind of tower defensish I guess, but the story is very good. Kind of a weird endorsement but if you like anime I bet it's worth it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It was fine. The story is nuts and full of twists, but isn’t so hot on the character side.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
I feel like that's the only reason to play most anime games, they usually have an okay to interesting story but just eh gameplay

I was talking about this with some friends and maybe I'm just ignorant of certain cartoons but I feel like populat anime is a lot more intricate/well-designed than popular western cartoons. Like they get deep into the logistics of poo poo and really try to make sure every single story has not one but multiple compelling mysteries

I'm sure it has a lot to do with the specific genres I've been exposed to with each area because there is truly some horrible anime out there.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Flayer posted:

Is 13 Sentinels good? I usually just kinda ignore that type of anime styling but this thread seems pretty high on it.

I'm 26 hours into the game and I can confirm its an all timer. This game loving OWNS!!!!

E: hard disagree with this

Escobarbarian posted:

It was fine. The story is nuts and full of twists, but isn’t so hot on the character side.

The reason the game works is because of its characters. They somehow are pulling off one of the most insane stories I've ever seen in a video game and it would absolutely not work if it weren't for the great characters.

The combat is kind of mid at the start, you don't really know the characters yet and its just kind of underwhelming. Once you start getting upgrades and play more of the story, I kept looking forward to the battles. I'm now pulling off some insane combos with my sentinels. Its honestly a surprise how much I'm into it now at hour 26 versus how I felt about it at hour 1. Hard recommend 13 sentinels. Its just fantastic.

The REAL Goobusters fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Feb 10, 2021

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Bust Rodd posted:

some people are just going to find you completely insufferable because you vibe on different frequencies.

This is the hardest part, honestly. Y'never stop being a person, and you can get hurt pretty badly. It eventually came down to "Do I suppress myself on the chance that anyone can like me" vs "Be who I am and drat the torpedoes."

I recognize for other people that's a much more dire question and the fact of being able to make a choice like that at all is privilege in the extreme, but the fact that I can exercise it doesn't take away from anyone else's ability to as well. This isn't an either/or and I'm veering hard off into my job's territory and yadda yadda you wanna dive hard into being encouraging and positive without the toxicity we can talk about it literally anywhere but here, haha.

So, uh. Control. Nioh 2. Video games! Poetry!

Nioh 2's got the smokin'est yokai
Wreath'd up in realm fog to both eyes
You thought i was gonna
Say Nure-Onna
But they got no arms and that's no lie!

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

just mispronouce gonna dont @ me ya dinguses

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
13 Sentinels as a story: for my money it is the peak exemplar of the Grand Mystery format of story. Normally in this kind of a deal you'd have half the time on the slow burn setup and the back half on the freefalling payoff train, but this game basically opens on the "good part" and stays there for 40 hours, continually introducing twists and never letting any one thread hang for too long. The density of the thing is remarkable. Its most notable achievement is that for all the continual "what the fuuuuuuuck" vibes it has going on they did a remarkable job of making it easy to follow the most important details and giving each character's playable story a distinct vibe.

13 Sentinels as a game (well, the non-VN part): It's decent. It's quite easy - I recommend turning the difficulty up and going for max ranks if you have any tactics experience at all. It's not really a deep strategy experience, more something you feel your way through. It can be broken over your knee with only a little bit of effort. My best attempt at an elevator pitch for it is it's a real time tower defense mashed up with oldschool Final Fantasy-style ATB mechanics.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I completely missed what is going on with the being annoying discussion but Casnorf rules

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Fedule posted:

13 Sentinels as a story: for my money it is the peak exemplar of the Grand Mystery format of story. Normally in this kind of a deal you'd have half the time on the slow burn setup and the back half on the freefalling payoff train, but this game basically opens on the "good part" and stays there for 40 hours, continually introducing twists and never letting any one thread hang for too long. The density of the thing is remarkable. Its most notable achievement is that for all the continual "what the fuuuuuuuck" vibes it has going on they did a remarkable job of making it easy to follow the most important details and giving each character's playable story a distinct vibe.

13 Sentinels as a game (well, the non-VN part): It's decent. It's quite easy - I recommend turning the difficulty up and going for max ranks if you have any tactics experience at all. It's not really a deep strategy experience, more something you feel your way through. It can be broken over your knee with only a little bit of effort. My best attempt at an elevator pitch for it is it's a real time tower defense mashed up with oldschool Final Fantasy-style ATB mechanics.

It is very insane to me, that the game just throws you into it and its so overwhelming and it just doesn't stop. The audacity. This makes the quiet moments where you just chill and get to know the characters even better in my opinion.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Some are getting their orders cancelled from Walmart after the February 4th drop. Apparently they oversold.

Edit: Doing more checking that it seems some who got cancelled used an auto add to cart link or had a console from Walmart before delivered to that address (either an Xbox or PS5).

Basically, you're only allowed one PS5 / Xbox per household and no auto add to cart stuff.

Mine is still going hopefully.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Feb 10, 2021

lo carb Lo Pan
Oct 8, 2004

ThermoPhysical posted:

Some are getting their orders cancelled from Walmart after the February 4th drop. Apparently they oversold.

Ugh. This is why I haven't bought any games for the system yet. I got in on the 3:00 slot and nothing has shipped yet. I'm just watching and seeing what will happen.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

lo carb Lo Pan posted:

Ugh. This is why I haven't bought any games for the system yet. I got in on the 3:00 slot and nothing has shipped yet. I'm just watching and seeing what will happen.

Check my edit, it might also be Walmart cancelling due to auto cart links and previous orders.

They've oversold before though...Gamestop too

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Is 13 sentinels a game that will feel like GOTY and elicit these impressions if you have a strong aversion to anime? I have never consumed much of any anime content because it just is not my thing at all. I’m curious if this game overcomes that aversion for players? If so, that’s pretty remarkable.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

no. come back when you're a stronger person

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Blind Rasputin posted:

Is 13 sentinels a game that will feel like GOTY and elicit these impressions if you have a strong aversion to anime? I have never consumed much of any anime content because it just is not my thing at all. I’m curious if this game overcomes that aversion for players? If so, that’s pretty remarkable.

what exactly is the aversion here? The art style?