Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I watched the ducks/knights game for almost 2 minutes before I realized the team in orange was NOT the knights.

It is amusing that the ducks away is almost the perfect opposite of the knights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

FBS posted:

mcdavid is a talentless hack

Nah, my man just got Zubbed

https://twitter.com/brochenski/status/1359333888867377152?s=21

The Dirty Burger fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Feb 10, 2021

goldrush
Sep 27, 2005

~~~No Worries~~~
It's awesome that on the night Connor McDavid gets some national TV exposure in the USA he somehow goes pointless against the Ottawa Senators

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
what the gently caress

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Albino Squirrel posted:

what the gently caress

I knew that stat would be bad, but I never thought it would be THAT bad

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

https://twitter.com/Aportzline/status/1359365883215413250?s=20

CBJ coaching staff doesn't like death threats I guess

larkko
Oct 4, 2008

FBS posted:

https://twitter.com/Aportzline/status/1359365883215413250?s=20

CBJ coaching staff doesn't like death threats I guess
Ouch, Laine going back to his old bag of tricks huh?

Google-translated Moonspeak article

quote:

The young man came to the attention of the whole nation a good year ago in August, when he showed a middle finger to the then head coach of Finland under the age of 18, Mika Marttila, at the Ivan Hlinka memorial tournament and shouted death threats. Because of these, Laine was sent home in the middle of the tournament.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Just like Brodeur

and Modano but he played more than 7.

Who else spent the last season of their career on a different team? That seems like fun trivia

Orr on the Blackhawks? I wasn't alive for it but I'd imagine it must've besn pretty insane for the time.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

holy poo poo

https://twitter.com/Sz1909_Szemberg/status/1359471075768336384

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Italian infrastructure falling apart water wet.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Italian infrastructure falling apart water wet.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

https://twitter.com/StapeAthletic/status/1359477271078330368?s=20

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Also, Pronman has a new top 31 for the 2021 draft. Nobody is tiered to have a higher ceiling than a top-line/top-pair all-star, so as we already knew, no franchise players in this draft, and no consensus 1st overall.

His first tier is Luke Hughes and Matt Beniers. Tier two is Owen Power and Dylan Guenther.

Also there's someone named Chaz Lucius.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Oof, that's brutal

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

goldrush posted:

It's awesome that on the night Connor McDavid gets some national TV exposure in the USA he somehow goes pointless against the Ottawa Senators

Can't stand the pressure, apparently. He's a bust.

fawning deference posted:

Also, Pronman has a new top 31 for the 2021 draft. Nobody is tiered to have a higher ceiling than a top-line/top-pair all-star, so as we already knew, no franchise players in this draft, and no consensus 1st overall.

His first tier is Luke Hughes and Matt Beniers. Tier two is Owen Power and Dylan Guenther.

Also there's someone named Chaz Lucius.

I wonder if, like, in ten years, this draft is going to look really weird thanks with hindsight. I am not even sure how you properly rank any of the players coming in. Has the CHL, outside of the WJC, even played since last March?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The NHL hasn't even settled on how to go ahead with the draft due to what a weird year it is. They're considering just holding the first round in the summer then holding rounds 2-7 in summer 2022 right before the full 2022 draft. They've even gone so far as to suggest delaying it to the fall or mid year next year.

This is such a weird season that the draft board is all over the map. When you're drafting 18 year olds their prime development year is their draft season which they're not getting for the most part. The draft board one year out generally has almost no relation to what you see by the spring. At this point you would've seen a few players put up high scoring seasons and settle into the top ten. Currently, you're just scouting guys based on reputation and even then it's generally just late 02 birthdays who have an extra year of scouting behind them. Most 03 kids were depth players in the CHL last year.

It's all but a certainty that you'll see a bunch of good players come out of the 3rd and 4th rounds and I imagine teams will be more hesitant to move those picks as a result.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

It's tough! With the state of all the leagues and with Covid protocols it's pretty hard to determine rankings, I'd guess, especially since, in this particular draft, there are no clear-cut top picks - it's just a bunch of great picks and could go either way. The first overall could easily be any one of four or five players.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/NHLhistorygirl/status/1359518989064409090

The box score is a hoot

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

If the draft gets delayed a year I'd be trying like hell to get some of those 2021 mid round picks. An extra year of development and scouting is huge.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Lol, imagine you start a new job and do a great job on your first 3.5 days then your boss puts you in a dunce cap and makes you sit quietly in front of all your coworkers as your boss belittles you because you had the audacity to have an opinion on how things are going. loving amateur hour poo poo from coach bitch made.

All things considered, hilarious week.

Anyone get one of those dope rear end Kenya sweaters yet? I need pics.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Cocaine Bear posted:

Lol, imagine you start a new job and do a great job on your first 3.5 days then your boss puts you in a dunce cap and makes you sit quietly in front of all your coworkers as your boss belittles you because you had the audacity to have an opinion on how things are going. loving amateur hour poo poo from coach bitch made.

All things considered, hilarious week.

Anyone get one of those dope rear end Kenya sweaters yet? I need pics.

I know time outs work great with kids. Especially when theyre being mouthy. Thatll teach them to never be mouthy to papa again.

I havent heard of anyone else being benched outside of CBJ in a while. Maybe if a guy is having an off night they take fewer shifts or sit to break the cycle, but the way coaches talk about it is much different. Why is something fairly rare in the rest of the league so common on that bench?

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Sullivan has benched players before, but it's usually 4th liners that gently caress up really bad and are costing the team the game.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Jhet posted:

I know time outs work great with kids. Especially when they’re being mouthy. That’ll teach them to never be mouthy to papa again.

I haven’t heard of anyone else being benched outside of CBJ in a while. Maybe if a guy is having an off night they take fewer shifts or sit to break the cycle, but the way coaches talk about it is much different. Why is something fairly rare in the rest of the league so common on that bench?

Maybe it's just me but don't treat you adult employees like literal toddlers. Though I supposed it's p funny to watch one idiot millionaire to shame another idiot millionaire in front of a bench of idiot millionaires.

E: VV- yeah, I wasn't attacking you just trying to emphasise how immature and stupid torts is and how everyone involved should just groan in embarrassment.

Cocaine Bear fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Feb 10, 2021

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Cocaine Bear posted:

Maybe it's just me but don't treat you adult employees like literal toddlers. Though I supposed it's p funny to watch one idiot millionaire to shame another idiot millionaire in front of a bench of idiot millionaires.

That was my point. You do it with kids and it doesnt even work great there after a while. It doesnt work with grown ups.

The Sullivan example is what Im asking about. He doesnt bench players for not trying he sits them because theyre having a bad night and are off the pace. The purpose starts from a team perspective. Youre having a bad night, the team will take it and then you go again another night.

Only other thing I can think is when guys get healthy scratched for just not getting it done.

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
Maurice benches players, in the sense that the best players tend to get the most icetime in the third if the game is close. But that's not about punishing the fourth line or whatever. If someone isn't performing or a line isn't working he'll switch the lines, but everyone is still playing

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Jhet posted:

Only other thing I can think is when guys get healthy scratched for just not getting it done.

Yeah we've just seen two top-six guys healthy scratched this week alone in Konecny and Mantha.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Jhet posted:

I haven’t heard of anyone else being benched outside of CBJ in a while. Maybe if a guy is having an off night they take fewer shifts or sit to break the cycle, but the way coaches talk about it is much different. Why is something fairly rare in the rest of the league so common on that bench?

A couple of games ago in Calgary, Dube took some penalties and got benched for the rest of the game.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/1359548328611110916

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Sullivan has benched players before, but it's usually 4th liners that gently caress up really bad and are costing the team the game.

And yet, Jack Johnson.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I hope they waive Eriksson every single day for the rest of the year just because

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

What's the book on Anisimov these days? Could he potentially be grabbed by a team needing center depth or is he just old and bad?

(e- It looks like he had 15 goals last year on a bad Sens team (25 goal pace over 82 games) and is still good for 15-20.)

Jhet posted:

I know time outs work great with kids. Especially when they’re being mouthy. That’ll teach them to never be mouthy to papa again.

You'll occasionally see "(player X) didn't play the last 4:20 of the second period" out of the CBJ, but the only benchings I've seen recently are PLD's "Trade me right loving now!" shift, Laine, and Dean Kukan (also from Monday night for what I seem to remember was "had ample opportunity to clear the zone, didn't, and ended up allowing a goal against").

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Feb 10, 2021

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/frank_seravalli/status/1359566677420163078

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/IneffectiveMath/status/1359567370335977478

is this good

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Looks normal. (Canucks fan)

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I'm pretty sure Laine's attitude about the whole thing was and is "whatever dude, I still get paid."

He seems to be a guy that not just won't play defense but combatively refuses to play defense. Could be wrong but I think even if that is the case, he's talented enough a scorer that a coach probably should just make him an exception to the rules and let him get away with it. He was born to pour in power play goals, just let him do that and you'll be fine.

There's so much behind the scenes we don't know though, it's always possible Laine is an uncoachable raging rear end in a top hat in general. But I'd rather see him coached by someone other than Paul Maurice or John Tortorella before I draw that conclusion.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Eric the Mauve posted:

I'm pretty sure Laine's attitude about the whole thing was and is "whatever dude, I still get paid."

He seems to be a guy that not just won't play defense but combatively refuses to play defense. Could be wrong but I think even if that is the case, he's talented enough a scorer that a coach probably should just make him an exception to the rules and let him get away with it. He was born to pour in power play goals, just let him do that and you'll be fine.

There's so much behind the scenes we don't know though, it's always possible Laine is an uncoachable raging rear end in a top hat in general. But I'd rather see him coached by someone other than Paul Maurice or John Tortorella before I draw that conclusion.

finger on the monkey's paw curls, bill peters is the new head coach of CBJ

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Good for current-day Nashville, yes.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Arivia posted:

finger on the monkey's paw curls, bill peters is the new head coach of CBJ

Or Laine gets traded to Nashville.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/_carterhart/status/1345857886401011712

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Eric the Mauve posted:

FillyLaine don' do rebounds.

Another variable when it comes to coaching is the other player from the trade who, well...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRwRN5q0utU

...has 2-5-7 in 7GP.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Feb 10, 2021