Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

fwiw the Expanded Galaxy Mod does a really good job fleshing out the war - systems fall gradually to the Reapers, major battles are detailed with some push-and-pull between the two sides, more is made of the logistics of war even for the unkillable robot gods

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

What if ME3 had been the galactic RTS portion of Spore

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

Shirkelton posted:

I don't think I could ever murder someone who was a child when I met them.

You'd be surprised how fun it can be. My favorite method when it comes comes to murdering video game characters is to yank the power cord out of the pc/console, with the camera focused on the character you want to murder. Bonus points if you say "you're terminated!" or "time to die!".

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

Uh, I mean: Argh! Rarh! Argh!

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

TheCenturion posted:

You know, I've played through the series multiple times, on multiple platforms, and I've never done a renegade playthrough.

I tried one, once. I got as far as lying to some Krogan tourists about fish on the Citadel, felt like a monster, and went right back to being Commander Shepard, Intergalactic Hall Monitor.

10+ years later and still literally never done an exclusively one or the other playthrough. Always took each situation on its own merits and acted accordingly. I'd typically be sweetness and light to good folks and crewmates, and a complete bastard to scumbags (RIP Fist, RIP unrepentant Exogeni scientists, eat poo poo Terra Firma) and end the game roughly 100% Renegade/80% Paragon. Carrying that into an ME2 import gave enough of a buffer to be able to have all but a couple of P/R check options available, and even if one isn't the other will be so you're never stuck having to pick the less good right-hand side options instead (apart from the lone "I'm a Spectre" renegade one in Thane's interrogation quest, that one's requirement must be sky high. But you can still get the same outcome a couple of minutes later so it's irrelevant anyway). ME3 is so much more lenient on checks anyway that it's barely an issue anymore.

I just don't see the point in single alignment runs, it's just mindlessly holding the stick up-right/down-right for every single decision. You're not making a choice at all and it's just boring af.

chaosapiant posted:

Generally speaking, there’s enough Renegade points to grab that you don’t have to always be an rear end in a top hat or do silly poo poo like murder Wrex. You can play a more pragmatic Shepard rather than a psychopath.

Exactly.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

chaosapiant posted:

Personally, I find ME more fun to just take each decision as it comes and ignore the Paragon/Renegade meters. Maybe you can’t get the optimal solution to every problem, but I find that more interesting from a role-playing standpoint.

I was going to suggest maybe fragment the choices based on the character or species you’re dealing with so if you just don’t care for the quarians you can be renegade towards them without impacting your other choices but then realized I accidentally gamified racism.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Gonna roleplay a Shepard who loves Batarians but hates everyone else, including humans.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Whorelord posted:

Gonna roleplay a Shepard who loves Batarians but hates everyone else, including humans.

will make for a weird bring down the sky

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Won't have to worry about that for the legendary edition at least

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

The Klowner posted:

Won't have to worry about that for the legendary edition at least

it's included in the collection, unless you meant something else.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Rinkles posted:

will make for a weird bring down the sky

I'll see that I have to fight Batarians then leave, abandoning Terra Nova to its fate.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

From what I could tell the one DLC to be erased from the annals of history is Pinnacle Station, not that it is much of a loss.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

SettingSun posted:

From what I could tell the one DLC to be erased from the annals of history is Pinnacle Station, not that it is much of a loss.

I didn't care much for the clanky combat, but I liked hanging out on Pinnacle stations observation lounge because the skybox was pretty.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Whorelord posted:

I once did a Shepard who wanted to be a careerist desk pilot at mingling at embassies, and was real mad at first when she somehow got pigeonholed as a special forces war hero

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
The last hour of ME3 is like when you drink a whole bottle of Australian wine and eat half a pizza then pass out on your own couch

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

Sort of like how, for all the Catalyst's talk about how Reapers are just a fire and they're just doing what they're doing to preserve organic life, well, they're still the dudes who grafted a human onto a Batarian to use a living weapon.

It's interesting how the Reapers changed from game to game. Sovereign does not seem like the same race as Harbinger. Sovereign has a voice like a graveyard and acts like some cthonic techno-horror from before time and Harbinger is "Ooooh, I hates that Shepard!"

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Harbinger is an edgelord reaper.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rinkles posted:

it's included in the collection, unless you meant something else.

Oh whoops I was thinking of

SettingSun posted:

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

One thing I like about the Reapers is that they're played up as unknowable transcendent super monsters but in ME3 most know Shepard by name and several drop what they are doing for a shot at personally killing them.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

You fight against inevitability. Dust struggling against cosmic winds. This seems a victory to you. A star system, sacrificed. But even now, your greatest civilisations are doomed to fall. Your leaders will beg to be harvested.

Human, you've changed nothing. Your species has the attention of those infinitely your greater. That which you know as Reapers are your salvation through destruction.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Codependent Poster posted:

Harbinger is an edgelord reaper.

Maybe Sovereign is the edgelord, and all the other reapers are like 'jesus christ, are you pretending to be mecha-cthulhu again?"

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

look if i was a mecha-cthulhu you can bet i'd be melodramatically hamming it up

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Horrific, cosmic terror beasts are a bad choice for villains in an RPG, because at some point, they've got to fuckin' talk to you.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The Reapers were weakened down so they couldn't be the same sort of ultimate horror movie threat like they were in the first game, but then they still were too overpowered for the war against them to feel like a real confrontation when they just kinda cut through all defenses and limits and there's not really many good ways for Reapers and the Council races to even interact.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Sovereign got assigned to the citadel gateway job because none of the other reapers could stand listening to him

y'all remember when ME2 had that shot of the reapers at the end and there were a bunch of cool different reaper designs instead of all just a bunch of sovereigns

like fat reaper, fat reaper owned

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

You will all be hamburgers, eternally

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet

Shirkelton posted:

Horrific, cosmic terror beasts are a bad choice for villains in an RPG, because at some point, they've got to fuckin' talk to you.

That first chat with sovereign in me1 at virmire is incredible. I like harbingers poo poo talking in me2 also before you find out he’s a reaper and not just the main collector.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

It's hosed up that Harbinger only shows up for ten seconds at the end of ME3 and he doesn't even taunt you for old times' sake.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet

Funky Valentine posted:

It's hosed up that Harbinger only shows up for ten seconds at the end of ME3 and he doesn't even taunt you for old times' sake.

Agreed. It’s cool that he’s the one that shoots you and all but definitely would have liked more mess talking from him.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

Funky Valentine posted:

I know this hurts you.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

OTOH, much cooler that the leader and first of the giant eldritch god-synths from beyond the stars lands and casually and efficiently wastes you and everyone you care about, and then moves the gently caress on because he is in the middle of a stupendously large battle and has things to do

This is something the extended cut hosed up badly, by the way

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Remember when the Normandy just lands in front of Harbinger because fans needed an explicit explanation of 'how did shep's squad get back to the normandy??', in a skybox teeming with alliance dropships.

It, uh, has thanix shields!!

Actually it reminds me of that Jenny Nicholson video where she points out that, in new Star Wars, literally every new scene has to show the characters arriving via spaceship as if otherwise we'd be confused as to how they could possibly get there.

to sell toys, duh

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Strategic Tea posted:

Remember when the Normandy just lands in front of Harbinger because fans needed an explicit explanation of 'how did shep's squad get back to the normandy??', in a skybox teeming with alliance dropships.

It, uh, has thanix shields!!

Actually it reminds me of that Jenny Nicholson video where she points out that, in new Star Wars, literally every new scene has to show the characters arriving via spaceship as if otherwise we'd be confused as to how they could possibly get there.

to sell toys, duh

I do remember! It's exceptionally loving stupid!

"huh there's the normandy, well that's a stealth ship, can't shoot that no sir, even though it's in atmo and visual range, this doesn't hurt you shepherd"

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Psycho Landlord posted:

OTOH, much cooler that the leader and first of the giant eldritch god-synths from beyond the stars lands and casually and efficiently wastes you and everyone you care about, and then moves the gently caress on because he is in the middle of a stupendously large battle and has things to do
We had a loving relationship and that rear end in a top hat can't even give me one last "ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL" for the road?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Psycho Landlord posted:

I do remember! It's exceptionally loving stupid!

"huh there's the normandy, well that's a stealth ship, can't shoot that no sir, even though it's in atmo and visual range, this doesn't hurt you shepherd"

he literally turns to watch it go. it's real weird!

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Pattonesque posted:

he literally turns to watch it go. it's real weird!

"Huh, there's that ship again. Something so familiar about it, gives me a weird vibe. Oh well, I just blasted Shepard to pieces and I've got things to do."

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Doctor Nutt posted:

"Huh, there's that ship again. Something so familiar about it, gives me a weird vibe. Oh well, I just blasted Shepard to pieces and I've got things to do."

He hadn't even shot you yet!

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks
Lets all just agree on the Indoctrination Theory (or just end the game when you and Anderson bite it in the Citadel bowels) and pick up from there in ME4

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

I don't think the reading of Reapers as unknowable robot-Cthulhus is accurate. Sovereign's boast is that the Reapers have worked out how everything works to the point they can predict the future. reality is rational, the cosmos is deterministic, it's just very specifically that Sovereign thinks humans are too stupid to understand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Psycho Landlord posted:

You will all be hamburgers, eternally

I AM THE VANGUARD OF YOUR--WHERE ARE YOU GOING? TAKE ME SERIOUSLY, DAMMIT! I WILL ERADICATE YOUR SPECIES!