Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Blackmail and attempting to manipulate people to go up the chain to get more leverage to get further up the chain is better than what this show could have been, which is 'murder the supe of the week'. Which would have been terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Bust Rodd posted:

The Eyes Wide Shut orgy is the opposite of the Ennis orgy, in that it such a lame and mincing depiction of an orgy (those nude men are dancing!) that you would probably get politely asked to leave for laughing at the sex dorks and their silly masks.

I finally got around to watching Eyes Wide Shut recently, European cut without the censorship, and god drat that was an impressively non-erotic orgy to the degree that I believe it to have been intentional on Kubrick's part that the entire thing be an oddly non-sexual experience focused on the play of power.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Wheeee posted:

the entire thing be an oddly non-sexual experience focused on the play of power.
Isn't the whole point of the film that Rich White Doctor On Top of the World discovers there are echelons of power where he's basically the Hot Dog vendor on a street corner?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Alchenar posted:

Blackmail and attempting to manipulate people to go up the chain to get more leverage to get further up the chain is better than what this show could have been, which is 'murder the supe of the week'. Which would have been terrible.

I wasn't saying either/or. I said mix it up more.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Wheeee posted:

I finally got around to watching Eyes Wide Shut recently, European cut without the censorship, and god drat that was an impressively non-erotic orgy to the degree that I believe it to have been intentional on Kubrick's part that the entire thing be an oddly non-sexual experience focused on the play of power.

Haven't seen it in a while but I remember it being that way, very much a "these people exist in a world far above your own, one that you can never be a part of no matter how much you wish you were".

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

FilthyImp posted:

Isn't the whole point of the film that Rich White Doctor On Top of the World discovers there are echelons of power where he's basically the Hot Dog vendor on a street corner?

Yea, I actually didn't know what it was all about going in and was pleasantly surprised by its examination of class.

Excellent movie, lol at the haters

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It’s also a really funny movie because everyone thinks the entire movie is the orgy scene but the first hour and 10 minutes of the movie is Tom Cruise just absolutely melting down that his wife had a sexual fantasy about another man and then tries and fails to cheat on her multiple times in the same day.

Any movie about how Tom Cruise just can’t get laid is very funny.

ptkfvk
Apr 30, 2013

i wonder if theyre going to treat next season kind of like the beginning of the comic book. they kind of have all of the pieces in the same places. there was a big confrontation with the boys that caused the first break up. then butcher eventually is back with the cia going after the other bad supes. give us a season with more monster of the week episodes.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

ptkfvk posted:

i wonder if theyre going to treat next season kind of like the beginning of the comic book. they kind of have all of the pieces in the same places. there was a big confrontation with the boys that caused the first break up. then butcher eventually is back with the cia going after the other bad supes. give us a season with more monster of the week episodes.

That’s what i was thinking,i understand why the writers have only let kimiko have powers but i would like to see the rest throw some superpowered punches as well.

I want to see the butcher warehouse scene where the other supes are terrified of him.

Brazilianpeanutwar fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jan 23, 2021

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The boys being effective with only 1 supe is pretty much what makes the show compelling. If they all had powers then Homelander would just kill all of them. Not giving them all powers is probably the single smartest decision Kripke made

I was satisfied with Girls Get It Done, that’s enough Marvel superhero style fights for me.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

https://twitter.com/therealKripke/status/1355897110684549123

Mixed feelings about that during pandemic.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Seems pretty irresponsible :shrug:

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Literally no mention of following the rules in those comments except for one i left.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The show must go on!

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

itry posted:

Seems pretty irresponsible :shrug:

It's no less responsible than any other working class individual going to the office or Walmart or the gym or wherever else. The alternative is, what, starving? Blame capitalism if you like. I'm past the point of wagging the finger at wage-earners who take reasonable precautions.

All that said, the actors should all wear masks on camera and covid-19 should be canon in season 3

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Homelander screaming "I CAN DO ANYTHING!" as he refuses to wear a mask

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

The Klowner posted:

It's no less responsible than any other working class individual going to the office or Walmart or the gym or wherever else. The alternative is, what, starving? Blame capitalism if you like. I'm past the point of wagging the finger at wage-earners who take reasonable precautions.

All that said, the actors should all wear masks on camera and covid-19 should be canon in season 3

Nobody needs television and Amazon production studios could give every single member of this project time off and unemployment. If even one person on their team gets COVID then it’s literally not worth it, IMO

Your not wagging a finger at grocery store clerks and delivery boys, your giving Hollywood the benefit of the doubt...

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Sets will likely be tightly controlled with minimal staff and testing being done on everyone.

Spend the energy being outraged at nonessential retail outlets being open or at large retailers like Walmart or Target not tightly controlling maximum occupancy and distancing.

Or you know, schools being reopened.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

The Something Awful Forums › The Finer Arts › TV IV › The Boys Season 3: Not all heroes wear masks.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Wheeee posted:

Sets will likely be tightly controlled with minimal staff and testing being done on everyone.

Spend the energy being outraged at nonessential retail outlets being open or at large retailers like Walmart or Target not tightly controlling maximum occupancy and distancing.

Or you know, schools being reopened.

I’m perfectly capable of being mad at all of them I don’t need to siphon out my anger to different social issues thanks

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Bust Rodd posted:

Nobody needs television and Amazon production studios could give every single member of this project time off and unemployment. If even one person on their team gets COVID then it’s literally not worth it, IMO

Your not wagging a finger at grocery store clerks and delivery boys, your giving Hollywood the benefit of the doubt...

:rolleyes:

El Padrino
Dec 24, 2005

No es nada personal, solo negocios.

Bust Rodd posted:

I think the people who chose TV production as a career need television, at the very least.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

He's right

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Bust Rodd posted:

*you're

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Somehow still only the second worst kind of Nazi in the thread

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

McSpanky posted:

The Something Awful Forums › The Finer Arts › TV IV › The Boys Season 3: Not all heroes wear masks.

Please. Yes, please.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Wheeee posted:

Have you read some of the stuff that's coming out about the way covid testing is being carried out on film sets?

What I think you're imagining is not what's happening.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
They had to shut down Batman production like 3-4 times, I don’t think people really understand that A) a movie set is like one of the absolute WORST jobs for COVID transmissal, like one of the absolute worst and B) SAG and the other production unions made so many changes to their insurance policy as a result of COVID that many people in that industry will either lose their healthcare if they don’t work or they will work but their insurance won’t support them. The people who “need TV production” are being exploited and having their safety compromised by the people who could just as easily pay them to stay home. They are literally risking their lives to tell a story about horny superheroes. Is that really worth a Key Grip losing their sense of smell and taste forever? because Usher didn’t wash his hands before eating at the craft services table?

I love this show, I love the Mandalorian, I want my escapes as much as the next people do! They shouldn’t be filming in loving TORONTO during a pandemic!

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Agreed.

loving stupid posters “let’s give hollywood the benefit of the doubt after,harvey weinstein,metoo,stuntmen getting killed all the time,john landis,and finally corona deaths worldwide”.

Yeah i’m sure nothing bad will happen at all by being lax with standards.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
No no, I'm sure things'll be fine, you'll be able to tell cause everything's wide shots of single actors clearly not present on the same days.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

davidspackage posted:

No no, I'm sure things'll be fine, you'll be able to tell cause everything's wide shots of single actors clearly not present on the same days.

Considering that at least one episode this season involves a ton of naked actors having an orgy this might be quite a challenge.

That's a really funny mental image though.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Season 3 done entirely through Zoom calls with the actors one-man-showing the action on their ends.

... I’d watch the hell out of that but only the Anthony Starr parts.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

It’s also a really funny movie because everyone thinks the entire movie is the orgy scene but the first hour and 10 minutes of the movie is Tom Cruise just absolutely melting down that his wife had a sexual fantasy about another man and then tries and fails to cheat on her multiple times in the same day.

Any movie about how Tom Cruise just can’t get laid is very funny.

I've got infinite places to see full blown orgies, so I've never seen this movie. However, Tom Cruise having a baby meltdown over his wife's wet dream... that's not something you can find just anywhere.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Bussamove posted:

Season 3 done entirely through Zoom calls with the actors one-man-showing the action on their ends.

... I’d watch the hell out of that but only the Anthony Starr parts.

I hope he ties a towel around his neck like a little kid and runs down the hall for the flight scenes.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
All driving scenes look like that video of Dan Harmon yelling at himself about Scrubs.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

As Nero Danced posted:

I hope he ties a towel around his neck like a little kid and runs down the hall for the flight scenes.

Please, he’s a professional.

Fan blowing on his face, laying across his coffee table.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

All driving scenes look like that video of Dan Harmon yelling at himself about Scrubs.

gently caress Scrubs!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’m 32 years old and I’ve seen maybe 3 episodes of FRIENDS and no episodes of Scrubs and I’m quite confident I’ll go to my grave without changing those numbers.

Zach Braff wrote a bad movie so that he could make out with Nathalie Portman and yell at a hole and I’ve never recovered from the entire decade gaslighting me that the movie was good

the soundtrack was good but that’s only because music was good back then!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'm pretty sure the music was just the top 10 list at Pitchfork at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

If he had made it 5 years later that Imogen Heap song would have been an Owl City song instead.