Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

CBJSprague24 posted:

FillyLaine don' do rebounds.

Another variable when it comes to coaching is the other player from the trade who, well...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRwRN5q0utU

...has 2-5-7 in 7GP.

Hopefully he can keep it up, I always wondered what he could do with serious top 6 time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

CBJSprague24 posted:

What's the book on Anisimov these days? Could he potentially be grabbed by a team needing center depth or is he just old and bad?
He's terrible

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

CBJSprague24 posted:

FillyLaine don' do rebounds.

Another variable when it comes to coaching is the other player from the trade who, well...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRwRN5q0utU

...has 2-5-7 in 7GP.

It's amazing what players do when they actually want to be somewhere and the coaching staff actually gives them the opportunity to do it.

When you try to fit a square peg into a round hole in your lineup is when you run into problems.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/frank_seravalli/status/1359582970126999557

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I hope that catches on and we can purge playing the anthem from all sports events.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

This is one reason why Basketball is so much more popular than hockey. Cowards.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

loving stars, who are they jerkin' off here
they have almost as many players from Toronto on the roster as they do from the entire US
who is the anthem for

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I'm very much in favor of abolishing the national anthem (especially the U.S. national anthem, which sucks just as a song) but I don't think that has anything to do with it. Hockey is and will always be a niche sport because it's difficult and expensive for kids to play in those parts of the world that aren't deep-frozen half the year.

Soccer is and will always be the most popular sport despite being nothing more than a primitive alpha version of hockey because literally all you need to play it is some open space and a vaguely spherical object.

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

Eric the Mauve posted:

There's so much behind the scenes we don't know though, it's always possible Laine is an uncoachable raging rear end in a top hat in general. But I'd rather see him coached by someone other than Paul Maurice or John Tortorella before I draw that conclusion.

I'd love to see Laine play for Trotz, for multiple reasons

He even got ovie to play defense so laine would be easy, right?

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

xzzy posted:

I hope that catches on and we can purge playing the anthem from all sports events.

if any other team stops playing the anthems in any league, theres going to be a league mandate to play the anthem out by end of business the next day. we are probably forever stuck with the anthems, unfortunately

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
Really dumb, but not totally unexpected for an NHL franchise.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Iodised QQ posted:

I'd love to see Laine play for Trotz, for multiple reasons

He even got ovie to play defense so laine would be easy, right?

I mean I also want to see Laine with a better coach than he's had. But Ovi was 30 and desperate for a Cup when Trotz got there. I doubt Trotz or prime Scotty Bowman for that matter could have persuaded 22 year old Ovi to give a poo poo about defense.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

xzzy posted:

This would be extremely cool and good. .

If you want to extra hate The Stars recall they gave W a loving ovation on opening night last season. Texas is bad, op.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Eric the Mauve posted:

I'm very much in favor of abolishing the national anthem (especially the U.S. national anthem, which sucks just as a song) but I don't think that has anything to do with it. Hockey is and will always be a niche sport because it's difficult and expensive for kids to play in those parts of the world that aren't deep-frozen half the year.

Soccer is and will always be the most popular sport despite being nothing more than a primitive alpha version of hockey because literally all you need to play it is some open space and a vaguely spherical object.

And historically, if you can't find the sphere you just play with 1 fewer person and the problem is solved.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Has Jim Benning been fired yet?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

At the risk of sounding pro-Anthems, haven't a few fanbases integrated it into their experience? I know the CBJ has the "LEO!" yell (which has even made it to t-shirts), Caps fans would yell "and the rockets' RED glare", Stars' "...and bright STARS...", Jets' "TRUE NORTH" (or at least I think I heard that at Nationwide when I saw WPG/CBJ play once and there were Jets fans in town), etc.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Which is in theory pretty disrespectful and shows they don't care about the anthem anyway.

Great reason to remove it.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

At the risk of sounding pro-Anthems, haven't a few fanbases integrated it into their experience? I know the CBJ has the "LEO!" yell (which has even made it to t-shirts), Caps fans would yell "and the rockets' RED glare", Stars' "...and bright STARS...", Jets' "TRUE NORTH" (or at least I think I heard that at Nationwide when I saw WPG/CBJ play once and there were Jets fans in town), etc.

Yes, and it's a truly terrible tradition without any redeeming qualities. I actively wince when I hear Jets fans proudly shout the name of the corporate subsidiary of the country's richest family that owns the team during O Canada.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

And historically, if you can't find the sphere you just play with 1 fewer person and the problem is solved.

:five:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Or how about Chicago's horrible idea of clapping and cheering as loudly as possible for the ENTIRE GODDAMN SONG.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

The US anthem is loving terrible from a music theory angle and is blown out of the water by other national anthems and other pro-america jingoism tunes

The NHL doesn't play the SSB when they start a board meeting, please stop playing it when they start a game and get to pick drop sooner

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I love how the Stars could have just said nothing

They chose to eat poo poo in public when no one asked em to. poo poo, the Mavs are already being forced to do the anthem now. So what was the point.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Shinjobi posted:

They chose to eat poo poo in public when no one asked em to. poo poo, the Mavs are already being forced to do the anthem now. So what was the point.

The DALLAS STARS are PATRIOTICALLY and UNASHAMEDLY AMERICAN and AREN'T AFRAID TO SHOW IT so long as you ignore their Canadian owner, general manager, head coach, captain and all but seven members of their 32 man roster.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Stars fans yell loudly not once but twice during the singing of the anthem, because they cherish and respect are country so much.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

If that's not the absolute peak of PLEASE LIKE MY SPORT then it's awfully goddamn close

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

The US anthem is loving terrible from a music theory angle and is blown out of the water by other national anthems and other pro-america jingoism tunes

The NHL doesn't play the SSB when they start a board meeting, please stop playing it when they start a game and get to pick drop sooner

I like O Canada infinitely more than the SSB.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

You and everyone else that has functioning ears.

While we're here, Du Gamla du Fria is loving awesome

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

ThinkTank posted:

Yes, and it's a truly terrible tradition without any redeeming qualities. I actively wince when I hear Jets fans proudly shout the name of the corporate subsidiary of the country's richest family that owns the team during O Canada.

Same

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Aphrodite posted:

I have an idea for the Weakest Link reboot.....

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

CBJSprague24 posted:

I like O Canada infinitely more than the SSB.

Yes, but what's the point when you have 10 Canadians, 6 US, 3 Swedes, a Finn, a Russian, and a German on the same team.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

The Star Spangled Banner is a sacred tradition, which is why we're going to have a washed-up pop singer perform it and ham it up as much as possible.

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

fisting by many posted:

The Star Spangled Banner is a sacred tradition, which is why we're going to have a washed-up pop singer perform it and ham it up as much as possible.

It’s amazing how long they can drag that horrible loving song out.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
For equality's sake, I think every NHL game should play the national anthem of the country from every player in that game.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

fisting by many posted:

Or, if you're the Predators, have some local guy do it until you get to the playoffs, at which point you reward him for his loyalty by trotting everyone's favorite Nashville Recording Artists through on a rotating basis instead!

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Philly doesn't even sing the Star Spangled Banner but God Bless America which is was a stupid song about how God apparently put mountains and stuff in America specifically for white people sung by an old racist lady.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Shinjobi posted:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

Philly doesn't even sing the Star Spangled Banner but God Bless America which is was a stupid song about how God apparently put mountains and stuff in America specifically for white people sung by an old racist lady.

They took kate smith's statue down years ago now and it's just Lauren Hart singing it every once in a while. Most times she just sings the SSB and Oh Canada if it's a canadian opponent.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Feb 10, 2021

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/RickCarpiniello/status/1359608247481729025

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Is this a good idea in one of the country's biggest COVID hotbeds?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Islanders are doing something similar thank God this pandemic is over.