Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
wherever I remember garden state exists I cringe. that movie sucks so much.

E: oh god I just remembered Safety Not Guaranteed exists too. gently caress mark duplass and gently caress Zach braff. It should be illegal for white men to make indie dramas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Remember when he made an even worse version of Garden State many years later?

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

The Klowner posted:

. It should be illegal for white men to make indie dramas

:yikeseroo:

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

The Klowner posted:

E: oh god I just remembered Safety Not Guaranteed exists too. gently caress mark duplass

:magemage:

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Mark Duplass gets several lovely movie passes from me just for The League, but he burned several of them up for that turd.

The one he did with the woman from Mad Men was ok.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

whoops. my point still stands though. Colin Trevorrow should be locked up for SNG and the book of Henry. Likewise to mark duplass for Jeff Who Lives At Home

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'm so glad that the mumblecore genre died out and Mark Duplass and Greta Gerwig moved on from that.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
God, you guys just reminded me of The Puffy Chair, which is so full of twee indie bullshit that I almost thought it was a parody.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

GD_American posted:

Mark Duplass gets several lovely movie passes from me just for The League, but he burned several of them up for that turd.

Creep and Creep 2 were documentaries.

I still hope he makes Creep 3.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

GD_American posted:

recently re-watched The League and it does not hold up. lots of “oh YIKES” moments with how women are treated, creepy poo poo, etc.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

the escape goat posted:

recently re-watched The League and it does not hold up. lots of “oh YIKES” moments with how women are treated, creepy poo poo, etc.

They were explicitly shown as vile people even in the moment, which does provide some cushion.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The League was just “Suburban It’s Always Sunny” and it felt impossible for me to ignore the many obvious and weird parallels. The shows both got progressively more mean spirited and unhinged as they grew, but while Sunny doubled down on the core cast to great success, The League went HARD into side characters and a level of wanton cruelty that sucked all the fun out of the show for me. The AIDS house thing was pretty funny tho

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

It didn't help that they were running on fumes as the show went on season after season. Always Sunny has managed to stay at a high level, with only mild dips in quality from time to time.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I couldn’t see it at the time I was into the League but Nick Kroll loving sucks, he’s like an energy vampire of comedy and I just hate everything he’s attached to.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I thought he was fantastic as Ruxin but you're right. I'd only disagree so far as to say maybe everybody has one good role in them and that was his. I've never laughed at his show or any of his guest spots on other, funnier shows.

He was good in "Loving", playing a completely straight role, but even that may be that I was just waiting for him to bust out a Ruxin bit (he played a lawyer) and he never did

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Forever Unclean and some other gags like Rafi were hysterical the first time but man they ran that into the ground hard. Taco's songs were dreadful on day one.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I think the best gags were usually something about how Andre has loads of money, absolutely no taste and a desperate need to be taken as sophisticated. So he'd buy ridiculous outfits or incredibly tacky, overpriced art, and spend the episode desperately trying to defend them.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Bust Rodd posted:

I couldn’t see it at the time I was into the League but Nick Kroll loving sucks, he’s like an energy vampire of comedy and I just hate everything he’s attached to.

He was good in the Oh, Hello! shows he did with John Mulaney. But that's the only thing I can immediately recall him in.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I've only ever seen Kroll as a guest in other things I've seen like What We Do in the Shadows or Community, and he just seems to try and pull focus in any scene he's in.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence

The_Doctor posted:

I've only ever seen Kroll as a guest in other things I've seen like What We Do in the Shadows or Community, and he just seems to try and pull focus in any scene he's in.

I don't think he 'tries' so much as the screenwriters try to get their dollar value from his time on their show

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, he was in Dickinson last week, and he was so restrained I didn't recognise him.

So he can do it, he's just not often hired to do it.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Bust Rodd posted:

The League was just “Suburban It’s Always Sunny” and it felt impossible for me to ignore the many obvious and weird parallels. The shows both got progressively more mean spirited and unhinged as they grew, but while Sunny doubled down on the core cast to great success, The League went HARD into side characters and a level of wanton cruelty that sucked all the fun out of the show for me. The AIDS house thing was pretty funny tho

Seinfeld might be the better comparison since one of the show runners wrote for Seinfeld and Curb. Almost every episode does that thing Seinfeld and Curb did where the episode ends on a callback from the first 5 minutes.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

It’s awesome in Curb cause you’re guessing how this will gently caress over Larry. :lol:

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

The Kroll Show is hilarious tho, and its interconnected nature while done before, is nicely handled.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Seinfeld might be the better comparison since one of the show runners wrote for Seinfeld and Curb. Almost every episode does that thing Seinfeld and Curb did where the episode ends on a callback from the first 5 minutes.

It just felt very mechanical. You can see the show working on those tricks, where in Seinfeld and Curb it was artfully hidden. Lol of course Newman will burn alive in his mail truck.

The League didn't have alot of jokes and relied on its cast to improvise a poo poo ton, and when it did jokes, they ran them into the ground. The show was largely unwatchable outside the first 2 seasons and the random Seth rogen Jason Manzoukas team up episodes.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Shageletic posted:

The Kroll Show is hilarious tho, and its interconnected nature while done before, is nicely handled.

I feel like women just want like, a medium thick beverage

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

The neutral sculpt is a little weird, but the smiling one is damned near perfect.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

The neutral sculpt is a little weird, but the smiling one is damned near perfect.

The neutral face is terrifying, so I'd say it's also perfect.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Kinda looks like Bradley Cooper.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
None of the faces say ‘my cheeks are full of cotton wool’.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I just binged through this show and I really enjoyed it. I liked that it was hard to tell if I was supposed to like a character or not and I didn't always know who the bad guys were. I really liked Stormfront's arc where she's just an edgy jerk, and then oh I guess she's a MAGA person, and then, oh, she's an actual bona fide nazi. I fully expected her to start talking in German at some point, I'm glad it happened when it did and not as soon as it popped up on the news. I did think it was weird at first that she was called Stormfront, like, they know there's another thing called stormfront, right? And then it all became clear.

Also, lol when I scrolled down to the reviews. "I really like the show but ONE STAR GARBAGE because I had to wait a week to watch an episode." Yeah dude, they want you to keep subscribing.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Feb 21, 2021

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

I did think it was weird at first that she was called Stormfront, like, they know there's another thing called stormfront, right? And then it all became clear.

It's a perfect dogwhistle with plausible deniability.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

with plausible deniability.

This is how I know someone is racist. Thinking there's any plausible deniability with anything named Stormfront is a huge crock of poo poo.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Tezcatlipoca posted:

This is how I know someone is racist. Thinking there's any plausible deniability with anything named Stormfront is a huge crock of poo poo.

For me it was when she committed multiple obviously racially motivated hate crimes at the end of the second episode.

We all dogpiled that one goon, but there were actually 3-4 goons who were like “maybe she killed all those black people for a non-racially motivated reason!” it was more unsettling than the episode itself, TBH

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Bust Rodd posted:

For me it was when she committed

My point is that the name is so obvious she shouldn't have to commit violence against minorities to convince people. But people are dumb and racist and will try to excuse all kinds of vile poo poo to make themselves feel less guilty.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

That was episode 3, not episode 2. I watched the first two episodes thinking "Ugh, are they really going to have this edgy 4chan 'feminist' lecture Starlight for a whole season?"

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Millions of people saw the Rodney King video and still didn't believe that the justice system is a violent, racist institution. People will rationalize just about anything.

Cpt_Obvious fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Feb 21, 2021

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
poster: "are we sure she's a nazi? i mean it's a little ambiguous"
stormfront: "i am actually German. here is a picture of me hanging out with Hitler."
poster" "still having some doubts"

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Tezcatlipoca posted:

My point is that the name is so obvious she shouldn't have to commit violence against minorities to convince people. But people are dumb and racist and will try to excuse all kinds of vile poo poo to make themselves feel less guilty.

Saying that everyone should have realised it from the name is absurd, she shoots lightening from her hands and shares a name with a weather pattern. Someone thinking that it sounds like an appropriate name without thinking "humz, isn't that the same name as an obscure US white supremacist website?" isn't being racist, especially if you take a second to remember that not literally everyone on the planet is from the same country as you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Bust Rodd posted:

For me it was when she committed multiple obviously racially motivated hate crimes at the end of the second episode.

We all dogpiled that one goon, but there were actually 3-4 goons who were like “maybe she killed all those black people for a non-racially motivated reason!” it was more unsettling than the episode itself, TBH

Yeah, some people are just very resistant to recognizing racism, no matter how obvious, even if it's just on a tv show.

And Bioshuffle posted early on that he'd read the comics, so he was well aware of who Stormfront was the entire time he was posting here.