Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Inept posted:

Bitcoin uses more power than a majority of countries do, when the entire stupid thing can run on a single computer. It's a bit different than driving to the lake for the weekend.

But the one person mining isn't using that power. Environmentally driving to the lake is worse than using a couple KWhrs. Your example is the entirety of mining vs 1 person's impact, of course it doesn't compare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Lockback posted:

But the one person mining isn't using that power. Environmentally driving to the lake is worse than using a couple KWhrs. Your example is the entirety of mining vs 1 person's impact, of course it doesn't compare.

Sure, but the pandemic has shown that without being able do things, people go kind of crazy. Without Bitcoins...the world is better off and has lost nothing.

stellers bae
Feb 10, 2021

by Hand Knit
Driving to Lake Crescent from my home round trip requires about 45kWh in my tiny car. It'd take the equivalent of ~100kWh in a Silverado or 4Runner. Now multiply that times 3 million (a huge lowball considering I live much closer to it than most visitors and Lake Crescent is the closest thing in the park to the highway), per year, for something that produces purely subjective value. That's one park.

It is totally true that crypto sucks, is stupid, and funds crime. I'm not convinced we should go down that rabbithole of 'my energy expenditure is more worthwhile than yours' when me going to look at a bird means consuming more than like a third of the world uses in a year

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbPJ0dYKj74

This Aussie techtuber I follow is claiming that he's seeing GTX 1050Ti cards coming back on stock

The theory he's going with is that NVidia is spinning-up production of these Pascal cards again because they've had that capacity in their back pocket all this time for selling cards to miners, but since:

1. the miners are preferring Ampere cards
2. consumers need something in the low-end market
3. demand is so high right now that you can still sell a brand-new GTX 1050Ti at its on-release price

that they're tapping that capacity to instead sell consumer-oriented cards rather than mining-oriented cards (and especially since miners themselves wouldn't want to buy those P105 cards with no video output because the resale value is crap)

It wouldn’t surprise me because 1050/1050 Ti are on Samsung 14nm, which probably has relatively low contention compared to Samsung 8nm and TSMC 7nm. So that would be one potential way to boost their card output.

TSMC 16nm/12nm might be another option but TSMC is pretty busy in general and that might apply to their older nodes as well.

90s Solo Cup posted:

I can't help but think this is gonna bite AAA game studios in the rear end as far as PC game sales are concerned, especially if PC gamers collectively say "gently caress this" and go back to consoles that are slightly easier to find.

Wildcard predictions:
1. Integrated graphics come back in a big way.
2. Indie games with very light graphics requirements sell like gangbusters.
3. Bitcoin manages to gently caress up 1) and 2) when someone finds a way to mine on a goddamned APU.

Hemish posted:

I, for one, buy too many games and I end up not playing them or finishing them... I'm saying that to contrast my current situation since I can't replace my video card to play on my first post 60fps (1440p 144hz) monitor, I'm not buying the newest AAA games until I can enjoy them with a 3080. I must not be alone so I agree it might impact sales.

lol, guys... don’t you think that’s huffing your own farts a bit? Consoles are the big market, and they’re going gangbusters. Anything that is playable on a console is going to be a perfectly fine experience on your Pascal card unless you upgraded your monitor recently and just don’t have enough power to drive it yet. RDR2 and CP2077 are the first games that really put the pain to Pascal, most of the rest of the AAA shovelware will run fine minus RTX effects.

And nobody is going to stop development of a game that is 80 percent done because of some GPU shortages, nor is anybody going to delay production of a game because of some GPU shortages. If they sell 5% less units then oh well, but if games are anything like other media right now they are selling at record levels and it’s in the good direction, the whole reason cards are in shortage is cause everyone is sitting their rear end on the couch playing vidya.

It’s a frustrating time to be building a PC, I totally get it, but the games industry isn’t going to come to a halt because of some GPU shortages.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Feb 10, 2021

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Lockback posted:

No single raindrop believes it's responsible for the flood or some philosophical bullshit

Bitcoin just simply isn't a scalable solution for a global economy because of the sheer amount of processing power required for transactions and how that increases as adoption increases.

Currently a single bitcoin transaction (not mining) has a carbon foot print of roughly 309 kg of CO2 (equivalent to about 680,000+ VISA transactions) and takes about 650 kWhrs

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bus hustler posted:

wow does this ever chap my rear end, you're selling botting services and cards above MSRP & the profit isnt enough to "pay off this gpu" that $13 a day (at best) is meaningful enough to just go "eh gently caress it, nuke the planet"

its not great thinking but an individual who has taken a bath on availability & endless price increases trying to recoup their investment is still morally different than a scalper keeping a card then claiming financial hardship to pay it off.

and to be clear i dont generally give a single poo poo about your f5 services, its totally fine, but to then claim you need to do this to pay off the card is literally loving rich

its "free" money, and ive proven that im nothing if not opportunistic. Welcome to capitalism baby.
Im mining on my personal 3080 in my gaming pc because it makes good profit at almost no cost. Any sort of claim being made about why is your projection. I have solar on my home and drive an plug in electric car, my environmental impact is minor at worst.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

jisforjosh posted:

No single raindrop believes it's responsible for the flood or some philosophical bullshit

Bitcoin just simply isn't a scalable solution for a global economy because of the sheer amount of processing power required for transactions and how that increases as adoption increases.

Currently a single bitcoin transaction (not mining) has a carbon foot print of roughly 309 kg of CO2 (equivalent to about 680,000+ VISA transactions) and takes about 650 kWhrs

It's like divine poetry from heaven, or some balance of the universe poo poo, that while we are trying to fight climate change there is a simultaneous movement to make the global economy shift to consuming incomprehensibly more energy. All so people can hoard GPU's to gamble and money launder. It's loving bonkers.

But did you hear about the family that drove down to the lake that one time?

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Fauxtool posted:

its "free" money, and ive proven that im nothing if not opportunistic. Welcome to capitalism baby.
Im mining on my personal 3080 in my gaming pc because it makes good profit at almost no cost. Any sort of claim being made about why is your projection. I have solar on my home and drive an plug in electric car, my environmental impact is minor at worst.

Still going to be first against the wall for GPU crimes in the coming climate apocalypse

stellers bae
Feb 10, 2021

by Hand Knit
You're allowed to mine as long as you don't bring a first world child into the world, so decreed.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
Must be nice to live in a real city, I live in an area so broke and so out of touch, I've had over 500 views and 20 offers for my 1080 for less than 250 (it's up for $480) I respond with "sorry 400 is my bare minimum right now" and I either get ghosted or they say I'm charging too much for a 4 year old gpu, this is all, of course, after anywhere between an hour and a day of slowly going back and forth as I answer every question already answered in the Ad main text. should probably just sell it on ebay, but I'm worried about them saying it was damaged or something and me having to refund them.

Objective Action
Jun 10, 2007

After trying since November I finally gave up on getting a 3080 (loving crypto!) and bit the bullet to get a 3090. I've been stress testing it to see how it works out and I can say that everyone talking about undervolting these cards unless you have some really insane cooling is absolutely correct and it is worth it.

For my EVGA 3090 at stock with good cooling it still ramps to ~80C basically immediately on a gaming load at 4k on modern games. I'm bouncing around between Control, Yakuza 7, and AC Odyssey because those all stress my system in different ways along with some standard benchmarks and here are my summary results:

code:
Test							|  Fps min	|  Fps max	|  Fps Avg	|  Temp (C)
Stock 4k Max settings 2100mhz @ ~1.25 (variable)	|  9		|  137		|  70		|  82
Stock as above but max fans				|  14		|  138		|  70		|  75
UV 4k Max settings 1900mhz @ .850			|  34		|  139		|  75		|  62
Stock 1080 Max settings 2100mhz @ ~1.25 (variable)	|  45		|  410		|  230		|  72      
UV 1080 Max settings 1900mhz @ .850			|  51		|  471		|  259		|  60
If I undervolt and down clock from stock to ~1900mhz @ 850 I actually see an increase on average FPS from thermal overhead of dropping -10C+!

Objective Action fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Feb 10, 2021

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
lol my skylake 1080ti machine keeps locking up

rip me

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Crunchy Black posted:

lol my skylake 1080ti machine keeps locking up

rip me
F

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

exquisite tea posted:

Now the DIY will be making your own video card.

I mean people are dropping $1000k+ and learning how to solder to build DIY mechanical keyboards, so why not?

mA fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Feb 10, 2021

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Objective Action posted:

After trying since November I finally gave up on getting a 3080 (loving crypto!) and bit the bullet to get a 3090. I've been stress testing it to see how it works out and I can say that everyone talking about undervolting these cards unless you have some really insane cooling is absolutely correct and it is worth it.

For my EVGA 3090 at stock with good cooling it still ramps to ~80C basically immediately on a gaming load at 4k on modern games. I'm bouncing around between Control, Yakuza 7, and AC Odyssey because those all stress my system in different ways along with some standard benchmarks and here are my summary results:

If I undervolt and down clock from stock to ~1900mhz @ 850 I actually see an increase on average FPS from thermal overhead of dropping -10C+!

Apparently the 3090's base clock speed is 1.4 GHz. Kick that up 35% and make the corresponding voltage changes to keep it stable and wheee now it's doing thermal throttling.

Bravo lads.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Capitalism is immoral and we're all forced to be immoral to survive.

I'm also mining on my gaming PC when I'm not using it, I've made about $500cad since I started. On the bright side, Ontario power isn't too bad in terms of CO2.

https://www.ieso.ca/en/Power-Data

A majority is from green energy sources (nuclear is green). Gas and biofuel are the minority and we don't use coal.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

90s Solo Cup posted:

I can't help but think this is gonna bite AAA game studios in the rear end as far as PC game sales are concerned, especially if PC gamers collectively say "gently caress this" and go back to consoles that are slightly easier to find.

Wildcard predictions:
1. Integrated graphics come back in a big way.
2. Indie games with very light graphics requirements sell like gangbusters.
3. Bitcoin manages to gently caress up 1) and 2) when someone finds a way to mine on a goddamned APU.

Paul MaudDib posted:

lol, guys... don’t you think that’s huffing your own farts a bit? Consoles are the big market, and they’re going gangbusters. Anything that is playable on a console is going to be a perfectly fine experience on your Pascal card unless you upgraded your monitor recently and just don’t have enough power to drive it yet. RDR2 and CP2077 are the first games that really put the pain to Pascal, most of the rest of the AAA shovelware will run fine minus RTX effects.

And nobody is going to stop development of a game that is 80 percent done because of some GPU shortages, nor is anybody going to delay production of a game because of some GPU shortages. If they sell 5% less units then oh well, but if games are anything like other media right now they are selling at record levels and it’s in the good direction, the whole reason cards are in shortage is cause everyone is sitting their rear end on the couch playing vidya.

It’s a frustrating time to be building a PC, I totally get it, but the games industry isn’t going to come to a halt because of some GPU shortages.

You're both forgetting that the exact same shortages affecting GPU availability are also hitting the console market. The new generation of consoles is also really hard to find in a way that may well impact video game production, because developers will want to target where the main install base is. Obviously, game development wont stop, but it's likely that it will be tied to the old generation of console hardware for a while longer, in a way that won't make best use of new GPU tech.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

EngineerJoe posted:

Capitalism is immoral and we're all forced to be immoral to survive.

Yes yes capitalism bad, please stop using that to rationalize every bad decision you make

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

Must be nice to live in a real city, I live in an area so broke and so out of touch, I've had over 500 views and 20 offers for my 1080 for less than 250 (it's up for $480) I respond with "sorry 400 is my bare minimum right now" and I either get ghosted or they say I'm charging too much for a 4 year old gpu, this is all, of course, after anywhere between an hour and a day of slowly going back and forth as I answer every question already answered in the Ad main text. should probably just sell it on ebay, but I'm worried about them saying it was damaged or something and me having to refund them.

yeah go ebay. Its very possible to sell and not be scammed. Ship it with signature confirmation, insurance, and take lots of photos of the gpu and the box before shipping.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

rujasu posted:

Yes yes capitalism bad, please stop using that to rationalize every bad decision you make

I make plenty of bad decisions, part time crypto mining isn't even on the radar.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

Fauxtool posted:

yeah go ebay. Its very possible to sell and not be scammed. Ship it with signature confirmation, insurance, and take lots of photos of the gpu and the box before shipping.

It's my understanding that I could take all the pictures in the world, I could take a video of me showing it working inside my pc and then shutting down my pc removing it and sticking it in an anti-static bag and put a serial numbered tamper proof sticker on the bag then put it in the box, tamper sticker the box, then put in brown box, tape up the box seal box with tamper proof sticker all on video, post link to said video in ebay ad, and someone could still just say it didn't turn on and I must've removed it improperly and ebay would still side with them.

I think it's part cuz I'm definitely selling this at a high mark up so maybe part of me feels like that will attract the sort of people that would do that sort of thing. also never sold anything on ebay.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

flakeloaf posted:

Apparently the 3090's base clock speed is 1.4 GHz. Kick that up 35% and make the corresponding voltage changes to keep it stable and wheee now it's doing thermal throttling.

Bravo lads.

Yeah my 3090 is a very fickle beast. It is absolutely more obtuse and finicky to tune than Pascal or Turing was for me. When you are really pushing it, you get into a tight coffin corner with the power limit/thermals and how it reacts to changes seem counter intuitive. Stuff like lowering the power limit helping some games, or setting negative core offsets. A lot of it seems to be the 6X, as far as I can tell. They are sensitive wee lads, and as they share a thermal solution with the core, its a heat balancing act.

e: speaking of mining chat, the best settings I've found for mining with the 3090 are +1050 on memory in X1 (about 10552 effective clock), -100 on the core, and 80% power limit.

I get hash rates in the 117mh range with Phoenix, vs 112mh with the power slider/clocks/fans maxed, which seems counterintuitive but running full blast causes the 6X to throttle hard under a mining load.

Cygni fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Feb 10, 2021

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

It's my understanding that I could take all the pictures in the world, I could take a video of me showing it working inside my pc and then shutting down my pc removing it and sticking it in an anti-static bag and put a serial numbered tamper proof sticker on the bag then put it in the box, tamper sticker the box, then put in brown box, tape up the box seal box with tamper proof sticker all on video, post link to said video in ebay ad, and someone could still just say it didn't turn on and I must've removed it improperly and ebay would still side with them.

I think it's part cuz I'm definitely selling this at a high mark up so maybe part of me feels like that will attract the sort of people that would do that sort of thing. also never sold anything on ebay.

yeah but then they still have to return it in the same condition that you can prove it was shipped. If you are really paranoid you can withdraw the money from your paypal as soon as you get it and unlink all your cards and bank accounts. If they try to pull a scam and ebay does side with them your account will go negative but you still keep the money. Is that worth losing your paypal account over? who knows

Mining in 2021 takes me back.
No i cant play any games on my expensive gaming pc, its making me money. I better build a second pc so i can still game. Oh wait that one can make money too. Might as well build a full on 6gpu mining rig. poo poo BTC crashed, anyone want to buy some lightly used rx580s?

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Feb 10, 2021

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

The Grumbles posted:

You're both forgetting that the exact same shortages affecting GPU availability are also hitting the console market. The new generation of consoles is also really hard to find in a way that may well impact video game production, because developers will want to target where the main install base is. Obviously, game development wont stop, but it's likely that it will be tied to the old generation of console hardware for a while longer, in a way that won't make best use of new GPU tech.

Yeah at this point I'm buying a 3070 or a PS5, whichever I can get my hands on first. But it's very frustrating to be sitting on a lovely Gpu that needs replacing right now. :sigh:

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

The Grumbles posted:

Are people still having a hard time with consoles? Yeesh. I got one just after New Years but I can't find even an Add to Cart button on a GPU.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Craptacular! posted:

Are people still having a hard time with consoles? Yeesh. I got one just after New Years but I can't find even an Add to Cart button on a GPU.

Do you know anywhere that has them in stock?

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Speaking of power settings, how well can I run a 3080+5900X on 750W? I'm not going to do manual overclocking; if anything, I'm going to mess with undervolting, but it still looks like the power budget is a little hairy, especially for all my USB connections and drives.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Craptacular! posted:

Yep, and I think Sony announced this week that people should expect shortages through the rest of the year potentially.

Essentially, gaming stuff is just so low on the pecking order for processor dies, which are in huge demand and only really made in the same handful of factories - things like cars and phones are higher volume, generally more important, and get priority.

The Grumbles fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Feb 10, 2021

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

ufarn posted:

Speaking of power settings, how well can I run a 3080+5900X on 750W? I'm not going to do manual overclocking; if anything, I'm going to mess with undervolting, but it still looks like the power budget is a little hairy, especially for all my USB connections and drives.

Without overclocking I'm sure it's fine. I can OC my 3080 strix OC and use over 430 watts for the card while overclocking my 5900x and using 'a lot' and it runs fine. I have an 850 watt psu.

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

ufarn posted:

750w is the recommended minimum for a 3080 you would probably want to go a little higher or just spring for 1000w to sleep easier, but that's just me.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
https://twitter.com/TheEpicDept/status/1359596973637177344?s=19

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
Like two years ago I bought a RTX 2080TI FTW3 to replace an aging 1080 non-ti. At the time I knew it was stupid and expensive at $1400 but I had a new big boy job and gently caress it, Adorama had some 0% financing, so what the hell?

This whole shitshow has, to put it lightly, sort of validated my choices. I play games with my tower plugged into a 4K TV, and don't have the ability to go over 60hz (I don't play competitively, so it seems like even more of a non issue). Through DLSS magic it gets a steady 60fps at 4k in most games, 1440 in the rest, and even pulls down at worst a solid 30 in games with ray-tracing enabled (of which there are like maybe 10 I have any interest in right now).

Basically I'm begging you all to talk me out of a 3090 as being completely and utterly useless and frivolous. God bless.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

My electricity comes from a nuclear power plant 30 miles away but they still send me a bill for it I have to pay, until that changes I'm not using a card for anything but games and youtube (roughly 80% youtube)

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
To double down on the idiocy of paying $2k for a 3090, I now find out that I need significantly better power delivery than the RMx 750 PSU I already have. When I upgrade to a Lovelace GPU I'll hopefully have no need for a stupid 1000w PSU but this whole thing was started because I just wanted to have good quality visuals at 3440x1440 and now it's more cost-efficient to build an entirely new machine with a new monitor at 1080p and grab a RTX 3070.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

jisforjosh posted:

the irony of this is, bitcoin doesn't *need* all this mining power. the difficulty of mining blocks adjusts by itself up or down until blocks are mined every <n> minutes. if there was only one person mining bitcoin they could be doing it on a single cpu or gpu and it'd work mostly ok

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

bloodysabbath posted:

Like two years ago I bought a RTX 2080TI FTW3 to replace an aging 1080 non-ti. At the time I knew it was stupid and expensive at $1400 but I had a new big boy job and gently caress it, Adorama had some 0% financing, so what the hell?

This whole shitshow has, to put it lightly, sort of validated my choices. I play games with my tower plugged into a 4K TV, and don't have the ability to go over 60hz (I don't play competitively, so it seems like even more of a non issue). Through DLSS magic it gets a steady 60fps at 4k in most games, 1440 in the rest, and even pulls down at worst a solid 30 in games with ray-tracing enabled (of which there are like maybe 10 I have any interest in right now).

Basically I'm begging you all to talk me out of a 3090 as being completely and utterly useless and frivolous. God bless.

I made the same decision with the second 1080Ti FTW3 and am feeling similarly pleased with myself. I am seriously debating putting a water block on the hotter of the two cards, though. I'm creeping up on MTBF and it'd suck to need a new card when only the 3090s are on offer, and adding a waterblock to the new 3080 would be nice. I'm just not sure if it's C$700-nice. I could buy two AIOs for less than that, not that it would address either of my two current issues.

Well, my two current "old, toasty gpu" issues.

Do not buy an RTX 3090 to play video games, unless you're buying one that fell off a truck.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Truga posted:

the irony of this is, bitcoin doesn't *need* all this mining power. the difficulty of mining blocks adjusts by itself up or down until blocks are mined every <n> minutes. if there was only one person mining bitcoin they could be doing it on a single cpu or gpu and it'd work mostly ok

You need enough mining power that no one entity can do a 51% attack and take over the network though, right?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
yeah, if you're stupid and let other people mine your coin lol

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

im not bitter about not buying more btc but i am bitter about losing btc dicking around buying mdma in my 20s when the fbi seized it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Bloopsy posted:

750w is the recommended minimum for a 3080 you would probably want to go a little higher or just spring for 1000w to sleep easier, but that's just me.
I already have the 750W I bought from when goons recommended a 650W two or three years ago, I guess I can always offload some USB devices to their own chargers and whatnot.