Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Mr. Apollo posted:

Yeah the "he did very bad things" part is unsettling.

It gave me an ants crawling on my skin sensation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

FilthyImp posted:

Her remember when the Buffy comic books were hailed as a continuation of the plot and Dawn was cursed to be a Giant/Centaur/whatever because she banged some rando and cheated on her demon boyfriend? And how she ends up with Xander...

Cool stuff, normal stuff

I dropped it before he decided that Buffy should be a lesbian. For reasons. Looking specifically at the women of Buffy, it's seems like the only one who really rose to greater heights was Alyson Hannigan. I have to wonder if part of that is because he didn't target her or he wasn't able to take some kind of poo poo on her career because of the American Pie movies.

One other thing to consider is that on IMDB Whedon is listed as the sole creator of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. For Angel he's listed as a co-creator with David Greenwalt. I wonder if that meant he couldn't pull as much of his poo poo on the Angel set.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Robot Chicken's gag about the 8th season of Buffy is now the less embarassing continuation of the story.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpKqsM9df-M

McCloud posted:

James Gunn disappointed me when he liked that tweet.

Gunn's been disappointing me for a while.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

DeimosRising posted:

More importantly she obliquely accuses whedon of creeping on her as a child in those posts

Trachtenberg has made another post since where her accusations are less oblique.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Jedit posted:

Trachtenberg has made another post since where her accusations are less oblique.

Where is it? I haven’t found anything she’s said since on either her Instagram or Twitter.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Mr. Apollo posted:

Was Elementary the one with Natalie Dormer as Moriarty?

Yes, and it was glorious.

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

Pirate Jet posted:

Where is it? I haven’t found anything she’s said since on either her Instagram or Twitter.

:pwn:

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
She was like 15 at the time Jesus loving Christ :psypop:

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

:yikes:

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
JFC dude...

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

"again"

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Yeah that coupled with the “he did a very bad thing” is really disturbing.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk
Let us allow the recent revelations to re-contextualize that apology he wrote to his ex-wife.

quote:

"I was surrounded by beautiful, needy, aggressive young women. It felt like I had a disease, like something from a Greek myth. Suddenly I am a powerful producer and the world is laid out at my feet and I can’t touch it.”

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

KVeezy3 posted:

Let us allow the recent revelations to re-contextualize that apology he wrote to his ex-wife.

He is nothing more than loving dog poo poo to be wiped off a shoe.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

KVeezy3 posted:

Oh nooo

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Ah yes, "she shouldn't have been wearing that then" excuse. What a garbage person.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

KVeezy3 posted:

He wrote an episode of Firefly where the valiant main character was seduced by a seemingly innocent virginal character only to reveal she was secretly a siren doing it to further her own nefarious ends.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1360276461836460035

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Anyone have an opinion on that? I'm sad to say that I looked at her IMDB and I have seen exactly 0% of that

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Anyone have an opinion on that? I'm sad to say that I looked at her IMDB and I have seen exactly 0% of that

My only opinion on this is I hope she is Rogue and takes Captain Marvel's powers.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Spacebump posted:

My only opinion on this is I hope she is Rogue and takes Captain Marvel's powers.

Captain Marvel made over a billion dollars. I’d say that’s unlikely.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Spacebump posted:

Oh my god the shitstorm that would cause :allears:

Rogue is from the south in the comics, isn't she?

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

He wrote an episode of Firefly where the valiant main character was seduced by a seemingly innocent virginal character only to reveal she was secretly a siren doing it to further her own nefarious ends.

Ugh.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Nucleic Acids posted:

He is nothing more than loving dog poo poo to be wiped off a shoe.

Yeah, but he seemed to have been a fairly selective piece of dog poo poo. Eliza Dushku came back for Angel and Dollhouse. Amy Acker came back for Dollhouse and Cabin in the Woods. I recall an Angel episode in the fifth season where we see "Buffy" as a blonde woman shot from behind or ar different angles to avoid showing her face because presumably Sarah Michelle Gellar did not come back for that epiosode. When her contract on Buffy was done she was away from Joss ASAP.

I kind of wish we could hear from them and especially from Alyson Hannigan to get a more complete picture of what all occurred.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Well, for argument's sake let's assume Eliza Dushku was one of the actresses he got with on Buffy. She gave him what he wanted, so he gave her what she wanted. Perhaps Amy Acker did too. I mean, it's not nice to think about but it does happen, and I can't blame someone for wanting to get ahead in their career (please note that I am NOT saying this is acceptable! just that these Hollywood sickos engineer these situations specifically to make it hard to say no and for the participants to feel bad about it after so they don't expose them!)

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Well, for argument's sake let's assume Eliza Dushku was one of the actresses he got with on Buffy. She gave him what he wanted, so he gave her what she wanted. Perhaps Amy Acker did too. I mean, it's not nice to think about but it does happen, and I can't blame someone for wanting to get ahead in their career (please note that I am NOT saying this is acceptable! just that these Hollywood sickos engineer these situations specifically to make it hard to say no and for the participants to feel bad about it after so they don't expose them!)

Well, Eliza Dushku is the latest to speak out so let's maybe not slut-shame her at this point.

Also, Jesus, dude, that's where you went? They put out? They, what, "gave head to get ahead?" I was thinking more that maybe Whedon had a "type" or something. But apparently his type was "female and working with him." Until proven otherwise I'm going to assume that one reason he was so hateful to the women around him is that when he tried that "casting couch" bullshit they all told him to get hosed with somebody other than them.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Predators in positions of power are selective and know who they can and can't get away with victimising.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Seriously?

I think it's more likely that, given what we now know about Dushku's experiences on the set of True Lies, she was maybe more capable of 1) recognizing Whedon for the predator he is and 2) having a support system or team around her to minimize the chances of being made vulnerable to someone like Whedon.

It's also possible that Whedon didn't pull any poo poo with her just because predators understand the utility of treating a handful of women (or whichever gender they're targeting) with respect so that they have erstwhile defenders when the accusations finally come out.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Mat Cauthon posted:

Seriously?

I think it's more likely that, given what we now know about Dushku's experiences on the set of True Lies, she was maybe more capable of 1) recognizing Whedon for the predator he is and 2) having a support system or team around her to minimize the chances of being made vulnerable to someone like Whedon.

It's also possible that Whedon didn't pull any poo poo with her just because predators understand the utility of treating a handful of women (or whichever gender they're targeting) with respect so that they have erstwhile defenders when the accusations finally come out.

Beyond that, one thing to consider that Alyson Hannigan and Eliza Dushka share is that both were in big movie productions. Eliza Dushku knew Arnold Schwarzenegger and Jaime Lee Curtis from True Lies (not that it helped her much at the time). Alyson Hannigan knew Dan Ackroyd and Kim Basinger.from My Stepmother is an Alien. These were people that could potentially end his career.

Whedon is a predator. Predators want prey. Those they see as weak or vulnerable. Two girls who could potentially call some of the biggest names in Hollywood at the time to destroy his life were probably not Whedon's idea of "prey."

As for Amy Acker and the women of Firefly, well, even if it doesn't make the trade journals, people talk. Word gets around. The fact that there was an actual loving rule that Joss Whedon was not allowed to be alone with the 15 year old girl probably got around - at least to the set of Angel. So he was probably "managed" very carefully there and on future projects.

And yeah. Joss Whedon is a good writer and a good director. So if Dushku and Acker could be reasonably sure that he wouldn't be allowed to abuse or molest them, I could see them wanted to continue working on his stuff because it potentially opens further career doors.

If Joss Whedon was as lovely a writer and director as he is a human being, this would all have been much easier for everybody - liek it was with Gina Carano. Mediocre, easily replaceable actress posts toxic crap on Twitter? Fire her. When there's a lot of actual talent mixed in with the toxicity, things get murkier in the board rooms.

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
Joss Whedon is absolutely not a good writer or director, in the same way Dan Brown is a pretty lovely writer. He's successful and his stuff is popular, but he's not actually good. He just knows how to pander to genre audiences.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Rabelais D posted:

Joss Whedon is absolutely not a good writer or director, in the same way Dan Brown is a pretty lovely writer. He's successful and his stuff is popular, but he's not actually good. He just knows how to pander to genre audiences.

And that makes what difference to studios, exactly?

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Everyone posted:

And that makes what difference to studios, exactly?

None, but that's not the claim they were reacting to

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
One of the most baffling things about Whedon to me is that his stuff isn’t that popular. Once the Buffy saga was over, the only things he’s made that weren’t flops were the Avengers movies - which were guaranteed home runs regardless of who wrote or directed them. He was hired for them because of his reputation as critically-acclaimed while financially unsuccessful, to get someone people would be excited for while they could still completely lowball his contract.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I guess you haven’t been to a comic con in the last decade. You can hurl a dart in any direction and stick someone wearing a Jayne hat.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
IIRC, Firefly came out in what was otherwise a pretty bad lull for sci-fi fans, Star Wars had the prequels and Star Trek had Enterprise. Firefly scratched an itch. And that it was treated so poorly and prematurely cancelled tends to make a fanbase particularly vocal.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/JoseMolinaTV/status/1360386433769295873?s=19

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

It's completely irrelevant whether he's a good or bad writer/director at all. Dude's a psycho. He could have composed the greatest work of art of all time. Doesn't matter.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Karloff posted:

It's completely irrelevant whether he's a good or bad writer/director at all. Dude's a psycho. He could have composed the greatest work of art of all time. Doesn't matter.

Of course it does, however "great art" is defined. Roman Polanski "statutorily" raped and sodomized a 13 year old girl. He can't go to a nation with a US extradition treaty for fear of going back to a US prison for that. Do you seriously think he would have had so many people wanting to work with/for him if he had a reputation for making bad or even mediocre movies?

Gina Carano didn't get fired because of her toxic Tweets. She got fired having a huge liability in terms of her toxic Tweets while also having very little in the "asset" column to counter-balance them. James Gunn's apology for his previous Tweets was accepted and he was returned to working on Guardians of the Galaxy 3 mostly because of how well GotG 1 and 2 did in terms of box office number and buzz/popularity.

Now maybe you're talking about it not mattering in moral/ethical terms, but moral/ethical terms cut very little ice in the business of Hollywood - or, really, in most businesses when you get right down to it.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Everyone posted:

Beyond that, one thing to consider that Alyson Hannigan and Eliza Dushka share is that both were in big movie productions. Eliza Dushku knew Arnold Schwarzenegger and Jaime Lee Curtis from True Lies (not that it helped her much at the time). Alyson Hannigan knew Dan Ackroyd and Kim Basinger.from My Stepmother is an Alien. These were people that could potentially end his career.

Whedon is a predator. Predators want prey. Those they see as weak or vulnerable. Two girls who could potentially call some of the biggest names in Hollywood at the time to destroy his life were probably not Whedon's idea of "prey."

One thing to rememeber is, with the exception of Trachtenburg, none of the accusations are sexual in nature, instead they've been about verbal and emotional abuse which matches the accusations from Justice League. That kind of behavior tends to get forgiven a lot more if people get rich from the product. "Oh I know he's a hard person to work with but he's just as hard on himself and it's really fulfilling to be a part of his vision." I mean Kubrick's treatment of Shelly Duval on The Shining has been well known from the jump but it only boosted his mystique.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

One thing to rememeber is, with the exception of Trachtenburg, none of the accusations are sexual in nature, instead they've been about verbal and emotional abuse which matches the accusations from Justice League. That kind of behavior tends to get forgiven a lot more if people get rich from the product. "Oh I know he's a hard person to work with but he's just as hard on himself and it's really fulfilling to be a part of his vision." I mean Kubrick's treatment of Shelly Duval on The Shining has been well known from the jump but it only boosted his mystique.

I mean, even Trachtenburg's isn't explicitly sexual (it could be but I think her statement jives with just being a emotionally abusive rear end in a top hat, no one wants to expose a 15 year old to that even if there's no sexual component). And it's not exclusively gendered - Nicholas Brendan has been pretty open about how Joss hosed him up emotionally and is a large part of his struggles with alcoholism.

It absolutely doesn't excuse any of it but it could help explain why it hasn't been a huge controversy despite none of these stories being new (minus Trachtenburgs).