Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

paberu
Jun 23, 2013

Are the Sundaras as fragile/cheaply made as the reviews say? They're on sale for $350 but that seems to be quite a bit to spend on something that might stop working if they drop or such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Passburger
May 4, 2013

paberu posted:

Are the Sundaras as fragile/cheaply made as the reviews say? They're on sale for $350 but that seems to be quite a bit to spend on something that might stop working if they drop or such.

My pair don't feel cheap nor fragile yet, I've had them for around 6 months so I don't know if that counts.
When I was reading aobut them, before making the purchase, most of the "fragile" complaints were from people that bought them really early on, other reviewers said Hifiman has improved them since. If I were you I'd try to find more recent reviews before you make up your mind.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

$350 is their regular price now.

HiFiMan has about the worst build quality and QC in the industry, even their $1000+ headphones are pieces of poo poo in that regard, but they also have solid customer support so if your Sundaras poo poo the bed within warranty they will take care of you.

Sometimes multiple times.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I have a pair of audio technica AD1000X headphones that I quite enjoy. I also have AT SR5BTs. Obviously I'm a big fan of the AT house sound. But I am looking to add another pair that's different enough, but still has really excellent sound separation, clarity but maybe a more luscious lower end. Are all those possible? I was looking at:

Sundara
HD6XX
LCD1

Other suggestions?

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Feb 7, 2021

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Russian Bear posted:

I have a pair of audio technica AD1000X headphones that I quite enjoy. I also have AT SR5BTs. Obviously I'm a big fan of the AT house sound. But I am looking to add another pair that's different enough, but still has really excellent sound separation, clarity but maybe a more luscious lower end. Are all those possible? I was looking at:

Sundara
HD6XX
LCD1

Other suggestions?

LCD-1s have amazing clarity and are super comfortable but a luscious lower end, not really. Don’t get me wrong, I love them and they work really well with a ton of genres I like, but they don’t have a pronounced bass, if that’s the kind of difference you’re looking for.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

My 10+ year old Sony MDR-NC40 headphones just had the headset plastic hinge snap. What's a good replacement travel set?

Budget - Flexible: $100-$300?
Source - Could be anything, from airplane movie monitors to plugged into a desktop.
Isolation Requirements - Probably shouldn't be too loud, but the old ones weren't perfect anyway.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Not IEM. Wired only is okay, but if not, it needs to at least have a wired option. Travels well, comfortable.
Preferred Tonal Balance - None.
Past Headphones - I have used some cheap Earbuds and IEMs and didn't like them. Otherwise just the Sony MDR-NC40. They folded up nice, had noise cancelling for flights, and the noise cancellation battery lasted forever.
Other - Would like to go another 10+ years without them breaking.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

LCD-1s have amazing clarity and are super comfortable but a luscious lower end, not really. Don’t get me wrong, I love them and they work really well with a ton of genres I like, but they don’t have a pronounced bass, if that’s the kind of difference you’re looking for.

What genres would you say LCD1s excel at? I don't need huge bass (see my AT love), but I want it to be fun an engaging at least.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Russian Bear posted:

What genres would you say LCD1s excel at? I don't need huge bass (see my AT love), but I want it to be fun an engaging at least.

I love how they make trip hop, hardcore, metal and hip hop sound. Ambient and experimental electronica sound great, the less natural the sound, I like the precision they bring more, if that makes sense. Stuff like Autechre sounds just about perfect.

A bit less happy with indie folk, jazz and classical. It also took me a couple of weeks to get used to the sound, but that is probably normal.

I use a Topping E30 + D30 stack to drive them, it really makes a difference compared to playing music straight from my phone.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

I love how they make trip hop, hardcore, metal and hip hop sound. Ambient and experimental electronica sound great, the less natural the sound, I like the precision they bring more, if that makes sense. Stuff like Autechre sounds just about perfect.

A bit less happy with indie folk, jazz and classical. It also took me a couple of weeks to get used to the sound, but that is probably normal.

I use a Topping E30 + D30 stack to drive them, it really makes a difference compared to playing music straight from my phone.

That sounds like what I'm looking for, thanks for your feedback!

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
This is a really dumb and specific request but my kid loves collecting 80s stuff and I've given her stuff like a turntable. Recently I gave her my old Sony Walkman and I wanted to get her a set of retro appearance headphones. It'd be nice if the sound quality wasn't complete trash acknowledging of course that the source of vintage cassettes will be pretty poor.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Yuns posted:

This is a really dumb and specific request but my kid loves collecting 80s stuff and I've given her stuff like a turntable. Recently I gave her my old Sony Walkman and I wanted to get her a set of retro appearance headphones. It'd be nice if the sound quality wasn't complete trash acknowledging of course that the source of vintage cassettes will be pretty poor.

Koss Portapro. They retro as hell and still sound great.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
koss KPH30iRBs are what i use and they kinda rule https://www.amazon.com/Koss-KPH30iw-Headphones-Microphone-Lightweight/dp/B07SFK2K17?th=1

i actually just got some of the yaxi aftermarket cushions to use with them cuz i've been using them so much lately

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
I own pairs of both KOSSes and they both rule. The PortaPros are more stylish but maybe a bit less tossable/hard wearing. The 30is aren’t quite as weird but they’re rock solid. For the money you could get both, they’re like $20-30 a pop.

I’d also throw in a plug for whatever the classic Sony monitoring cans are (they’re like $80, I think?) the ones that have been around forever.

Also can’t go wrong with Grado 80i.

Everything here is <$100.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
Big fan of both of those Koss models, but if I had to choose one it would be the Porta Pro with Yaxi pads.

trem_two fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Feb 8, 2021

paberu
Jun 23, 2013

Adding another vote for the Koss Portapros - they are an absolute classic. Also there are the Alessandro MS-1s (tweaked model of Grado sr80) that sound really good and fun (for $90).

paberu fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Feb 8, 2021

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Thanks for all the recommendations. I didn't realize that there were so many decent options that still kept a retro look.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

HiFiMan pad construction is also iffy in my experience, had to replace the pads on my Aryas within less than a year.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Fostex also look super rad

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Gotta get a pair of grados! Coolest kid on the block with those!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I mean, if we’re going all out for cool retro headphones to put on your kid, Beyerdynamics almost uniformly look pretty oldschool, though I doubt you’d get too many people recommending them these days.

Also planars/electrostatics if you’re being unreasonable

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Thanks again for the recommendations. I think I'll leave the larger over ear retro styles for the record player and get her those Koss for the Walkman.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
Despite saying recently that I wasn't going to be on the hunt for a new TWS set because I like my Technics AZ70, I came into some Amazon gift cards for my b-day, and well we know how that goes. The Technics sound superb, but there were enough nits to make them not ideal for all situations: bad passive isolation + only so-so ANC; pretty poor mic/call quality; sticks too far out of my ears to be comfortable when laying down unless you are lying perfectly flat on your back; the touch controls have gotten shaky using them outside in extremely cold weather.

After looking into sets that get good marks for sound as well as other factors like ANC, app, build, etc. I got the Jabra Elite 85t, and I think they're very good. In terms of just sound, I don't think they're quite at the level of the Technics, especially when it comes to pure detail resolution and bass speed/impact, but the Jabra still do sound really good. They have a very big sound stage and surprisingly good spatial cues/imaging, and the default tuning is also pretty balanced and well done (I do boost the mids and add a slight sub bass bump using the app's EQ). Passive isolation is pretty solid to start with despite being somewhat open backed due to the fit/seal, and then the ANC is on a completely other level compared to the Technics.

Call/video mic quality is also excellent too. The app and touch controls are super polished, I like how the app has the concept of "Moments" where you can set different config defaults, so like separate config defaults for commute settings, office settings, etc. The fit is very stable and comfortable (not with the oval stock tips btw, had to try a few from my stash).

I'm happy I got the Jabras, especially considering I didn't really spend a whole lot of my own money. They give up just a little bit in technical ability compared to my other TWS set, but still sound very good and bring a lot more to the table in all other areas.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Got my Hidition Viento and they were so worth the effort to get. This is obviously my ignorant subjective opinion but they're gorgeous to look at, super comfortable in UIEM form (as a grappler my ears get too damaged for CIEMs since they can swell and change shape) and the sound is great. They are also easy to drive. Definitely easier than my Etys. I got the normal cable as well as an extra upgrade cable. The upgraded cable is from Nobunaga Labs in Japan. They also came with a case with my name on it and other accessories as well as an actual frequency response chart of each side of my IEM. I'm keeping my Shure and Ety IEMs so I can have pairs for the gym and commuting and other situations where I would have to worry about losing or damaging them. For portable use I have them connected via balanced 2.5mm to an Astell&Kern SR25 since many phones no longer have audio jacks. I also have a Qudelix 5K in case I do want to use my phone as a source.

EDIT: I think these could be high end IEMs for people who like the ER4SR or Blessing 2. I know they aren't some crazy top of the line 64 Audio/Sony Z1R etc IEMs. In fact, Vientos aren't even Hidition's top of the line those are the Violet and NT8, but I'm really loving these.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Feb 10, 2021

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I'm looking to finally buy a real pair of headphones for gaming. A few years back I had a set of turtle beach 5.1 headphones that I loved playing CS and stuff with because the surround sound was great, and I'd like to buy something similar. I've been out of the scene for quite a while and everything is through USB instead of the old separate 3.5 jacks that sound cards used to use and it seems that a lot of the "surround sound" gaming headsets are actually regular 2 channel with software emulation? (I should mention this will be for PC use, not console) And I'm not sure what's good and what's poo poo. My budget is 200-300, though I'd prefer 250 and under. Thanks!

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

site posted:

it seems that a lot of the "surround sound" gaming headsets are actually regular 2 channel with software emulation?

Necessarily so, considering it's two speakers strapped to your head. So were your Turtle Beach things. The only way you'll get something approaching 5.1 with headphones is with head tracking and virtualization like the Audeze Mobius, and frankly it isn't great.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I mean you may be right, I never opened up, but the ones I had were advertised as cans with mini discrete drivers for each channel

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Even if that's true, it still wouldn't give you surround sound if it's strapped to your head, it would just create a phase distorted mess. It's all virtualized. There are multi-driver headphones but they're either very expensive and well engineered or sitting in the dustbin of history. Mostly the latter.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
So, since you seem to know quite a bit about it, do you...have any suggestions...??

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Sennheiser PC38x are spectacular if you need a headset mic, but I prefer the Beyerdynamic TYGR 300R and a desktop mic. I wouldn't bother with surround virtualization at all these days, until they figure out pinna scanning it won't be any good, and most games have better positional audio systems than you can achieve through stereo virtualization anyway.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Yeah I don't need a mic so I'm not terribly concerned about that. Beyerdynamic's site says the 300r is out of stock, are there any good online sellers for headphones you'd recommend I look at? Amazon doesn't seem to have them listed and that's about the extent of my knowledge

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Goddamit beyer every time you put out something new and good it disappears.

Fidelio X3 are a good option now that the price dropped, especially if you're not using an amp. Sennheiser 58x are less "spacious" sounding, but very accurate, detailed and comfortable. These are all open headphones that will leak sound to some extent by the way, if you're looking for closed the DT770 pro 80 ohm would be my pick.

e: or just embrace the etymotic lifestyle right up in your earholes, i've been wearing my ER2XR all day and it's like I have a perfect set of tower speakers in my sinuses

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Feb 11, 2021

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

As an addendum to my IEM purchase, I decided to get a DUNU cable, not because I believe that cables make any sound difference but because DUNU has a quick change system that allows you to swap out the plug between 4.4mm, 3.5 mm (unbalanced and balanced) and 2.5mm as well as USB-C. Since I switch a lot between 3.5mm and 2.5mm depending on the device, this will greatly reduce the number of times I have to remove the MMCX connector and the chance that I damage the MMCX connector or port. It'll also allow me to replace the 2.5mm plug if I bend it.. (I've already killed a bunch of Yinyoo MMCX/2.5mm cables by accidentally bending the 2.5mm plug.

paberu
Jun 23, 2013

I seem to be having ssd/computer noise issues with my setup (modi/magni stack on DT770). I've tried different usb ports but still get low level hum/squeaking when no music is playing (or it's doing voice).

It's definitely my computer as as soon as I unplug the usb I get totally black noise floor. Is there a way around it apart from using optical out?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Goddamit beyer every time you put out something new and good it disappears.

Fidelio X3 are a good option now that the price dropped, especially if you're not using an amp. Sennheiser 58x are less "spacious" sounding, but very accurate, detailed and comfortable. These are all open headphones that will leak sound to some extent by the way, if you're looking for closed the DT770 pro 80 ohm would be my pick.

e: or just embrace the etymotic lifestyle right up in your earholes, i've been wearing my ER2XR all day and it's like I have a perfect set of tower speakers in my sinuses

Would you recommend the Sennheiser 58x over the pc38x? They seem to be similarly priced

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

site posted:

Would you recommend the Sennheiser 58x over the pc38x? They seem to be similarly priced

Probably the 38x if you're primarily gaming.

paberu posted:

I seem to be having ssd/computer noise issues with my setup (modi/magni stack on DT770). I've tried different usb ports but still get low level hum/squeaking when no music is playing (or it's doing voice).

It's definitely my computer as as soon as I unplug the usb I get totally black noise floor. Is there a way around it apart from using optical out?

Tape off the ground and +5v pins on the usb connector that goes to your computer (or just snip the wires)

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Feb 11, 2021

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Yuns posted:

Got my Hidition Viento and they were so worth the effort to get. This is obviously my ignorant subjective opinion but they're gorgeous to look at, super comfortable in UIEM form (as a grappler my ears get too damaged for CIEMs since they can swell and change shape) and the sound is great. They are also easy to drive. Definitely easier than my Etys. I got the normal cable as well as an extra upgrade cable. The upgraded cable is from Nobunaga Labs in Japan. They also came with a case with my name on it and other accessories as well as an actual frequency response chart of each side of my IEM. I'm keeping my Shure and Ety IEMs so I can have pairs for the gym and commuting and other situations where I would have to worry about losing or damaging them. For portable use I have them connected via balanced 2.5mm to an Astell&Kern SR25 since many phones no longer have audio jacks. I also have a Qudelix 5K in case I do want to use my phone as a source.

EDIT: I think these could be high end IEMs for people who like the ER4SR or Blessing 2. I know they aren't some crazy top of the line 64 Audio/Sony Z1R etc IEMs. In fact, Vientos aren't even Hidition's top of the line those are the Violet and NT8, but I'm really loving these.

Another option for this TOTL level stuff is the Shuoer EJ07 which is drat near the same as Ety tuning but better, more slamming bass, more 3D stage, more everything but still, very reference.

I am jealous though, those are right in my favorite tuning range and also hard to get. Bravo!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Probably the 38x if you're primarily gaming.

Grabbed these from some place called Drop. Thanks for all the help, I appreciate it!

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

site posted:

I'd look at the 560S in that price range.

There's a new review of the PC38X up as well for comparison.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

redeyes posted:

Another option for this TOTL level stuff is the Shuoer EJ07 which is drat near the same as Ety tuning but better, more slamming bass, more 3D stage, more everything but still, very reference.

I am jealous though, those are right in my favorite tuning range and also hard to get. Bravo!
Yes there are quite a few awesome IEMs in this range with neutralish or Ety like tuning: the Thieaudio Monarch, the Shuoer EJ07 etc. I went with the Hidition not just because of the awesome audio performance but also their ability to make incredible unique art for each set of IEMs so that none are ever alike. There is no real "base" model/graphic. Coming from my current Shure SE 535LTD, ER4SR and B&W P7, I'm blown away by the Viento. I'm sure there are IEMs that are just as good or better, but the Hiditions are the first earphones/headphones that I'll actually listen to at home instead of just when I'm out. Typically I'll just use my stereo running Kef LS50 Metas when I want to listen at home, but the Viento are so fun to listen to I find myself reaching for them when working at home. I tried Oratory1990's Harman target PEQ settings but I like the Hiditions just fine without any EQ. If anyone is looking to buy a used Shure, Etys or the B&W for a decent price, let me know.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Feb 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paberu
Jun 23, 2013

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Tape off the ground and +5v pins on the usb connector that goes to your computer (or just snip the wires)

Might try that, though I did find an optical cable that's long enough to reach my dac. Testing optical out from my motherboard to Modi and so far it seems like there is 0 noise!